Ko'olau Golf Club

GPS: No

Practice bunker: Yes

Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover, JCB Welcomed

Location is worth the drive convenient to the city   Great for wildlife/ scenic views advanced golfers a bucket list/top 100 pick   Challenges include forced carries narrow fairways elevation changes   Great for 19th hole scenic views drinks

ybbb7777's avatar
Plays:  Once every three months

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/09/2018

"Play Once but move on"

golfismyjobman's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/26/2018

This course has been rated as Golf Digests top courses to play and is rated as Oahu’s tip course. The course over all I would give it only a three star rating. The scenery, location, and vistas that this course contains are remarkable. The course itself needs a little greenskeeper attention. The fairways were in rough shape and very uneven with multiple types of turf or “weeds”. I was disappointed in the fairways. Many fairways on the back nine showed exposed mud and dirt and minimal fairway turf. The greens were ok but were recently sanded and included many dry out spots. This made the putting surface very bouncy. I played over Memorial Day weekend thus I would have thought that the course would have been in remarkable condition. It also appeared that the grass only gets cut every so often and was recently cut because there was a lot of clumps I’d mowed grass covering a lot of the approach locations. Made the course aesthetically unpleasant. #13 is a par three. It hit the ball from the tee only five feet off the fringe but lost the ball because how soggy and unkept they kept the grass around the greens. I felt this was unfair for golf to hit a close shot and only

Have to lose it because of unkept grass.

The Practice facilities also needed a little attention. For this being the number one course on Oahu I was surprised by the upkeep or lack there of. Played, Checked off the list, probably wouldn’t be my preference to play again.

Response from Ko'olau Golf Club on 05/29/2018:

Hello, on behalf of the Ko'olau Golf Club staff, we appreciate you taking the time to address your concerns as we are always looking to improve. We are sorry to hear that you were not happy with the conditions of the course but still hope you enjoyed your round. Again, we appreciate your feedback and hope to see you again soon.

"awesome scenery"

ker56's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/13/2018

This course has truly some of the most fantastic vistas of any course. The condition of the course was that it was very wet and muddy. The ball would plug in the fairway, rough and around the greens, It made for a very tough course even more tough.

Response from Ko'olau Golf Club on 05/17/2018:

Hello, thank you for sharing your review, We truly appreciate both your positive and constructive feedback regarding the course conditions and will be sure to pass it along to our team. We’re thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our staff and sceneries at Ko'olau Golf Club, and also appreciate your input on our maintenance. We hope to welcome you back for an enjoyable experience on the course in the near future.

"Definitely one of the best and difficult course to play"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/30/2018

Thanks Golf Now for the hot deal. Made our vacation one to remember. Beautiful Course

"Bring a lot of balls"

pchouck's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/25/2018

Beautiful location and views. The course is not in great shape. Greens have a mix of grasses. The fairways were very wet and muddy and rough. Balls hit in the fairway were very difficult to find of were lost, covered I mud if hidden in the grass. If it weren't for the scenic views or would have been a miserable round.

Response from Ko'olau Golf Club on 04/30/2018:

"play it for the amazing views"

Giles5001235's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/25/2018

I was hesitant to play this course after reading the reviews but rolled the dice anyway. I’m glad I did. The staff were amazing and very knowledgeable. I’ve never had the marshal at the first tee spend so much time giving us his knowledge of the course and what to look out for and how to play it, Bill is a credit to the club.

Use google maps to get there not Apple maps!

The front nine played well even though it was supposed to be wet which it was and the ball didn’t carry on the bounce as much as you’d like but you learn to play with it.

The back nine was wet and we did lose quite a few balls but like the pair behind us said, they would’ve payed just to drbe be the cart around the course and take in the views.

If you play off the white tees that’s like your municpal level course and the golds are championship level. Ravines will play with your mind so pretend they’re not there.

All in all I really enjoyed the round and the experience so go and try it.

"Ko’olau Golf"

cfrizzel's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/03/2018

A fantastic golf course with awesome views of the mountains and ocean. Each hole was challenging and you had to use all your clubs. Would love to play it again.

"Spectacular scenery, challenging layout, just OK conditions"

inorv9's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/27/2018

This is a true Jurassic golf experience. The scenery is spectacular - mountains directly line the course. The layout is challenging - be straight or bring a lot if extra balls. The conditions were ok - slow muni-esque greens and very long, uneven fairway grass. I lost balls that would just disappear even on the fairway. That said, I think the rough conditions contribute to the "jungle" experience: stay away if you're looking for perfect greens, but overall this is a unique, worthwhile golf experience.

"Extremely Wet"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/02/2018

Although the course was very attractive, on the day of play is was extremely wet. Even the fairways were very soggy, to the point where it was practically impossible to find a dry spot to hit the ball. On that day, it was not worth the money paid!!

Response from Ko'olau Golf Club on 03/07/2018:

Hello. We appreciate your taking the time to write a review. We were pleased to see how much you enjoyed the course layout. We hope that you still had an enjoyable round despite the residual weather conditions. Your feedback is greatly appreciated, and we will share it with our staff so that we can improve your future experiences at our course. Thank you for choosing to golf with us here at Ko'olau Golf Club. We hope to see you again soon!

"Beautiful golf course design, but currently in horrible condition"

Stevio's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/02/2018

The golf course design and scenery are truly spectacular, but the golf course is in absolutely terrible condition from all of the rain over the past month. It appears that the maintenance crew has pretty much given up for now, as the course is mowed, but the sand traps look to have not been maintained in maybe weeks, and weeds are overtaking the fairways, and the course is extremely wet. The course is quite tough, but not too unreasonable in my opinion. although I am a 6 handicap and quite a straight hitter, I lost 7 golf balls (but 3 on the fairway or near the fairway from plugging). So although I loved the atmosphere and course design, I would not recommend playing here until the course dries and is re-maintained, likely in April.

Response from Ko'olau Golf Club on 03/07/2018:

Hey Stevio. Thanks for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate your input, and we are sorry to hear that your round did not meet your standards. We're very pleased that you enjoyed the course layout and the scenery, and we certainly hope that you will return to see the course in top shape. Thanks for golfing with us.

"Ko’oLau Golf Course"

u392720477's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/27/2018

Beautiful scenery and layout. However course conditions were awful. No drainage on course. Extremely wet and muddy. Weeds in fairway that was at least 2 inches long. I lost 6 balls on drives hit in the fairway that we couldn’t find the were either buried in the grass or plugged in the mud. Sand traps full of water and completely washed out. Appears that a Presbyterian church owns the club and the golf course is an afterthought.

Quite a shame as the scenery of the mountains was breathtaking.

Response from Ko'olau Golf Club on 03/13/2018:

Thanks so much for choosing Ko'olau Golf Club and taking the time to write a review. While we are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the course layout, the pace was to your liking and the visage was awe inspiring. However, we are disappointed to hear that the overall course conditions did not meet your standards. We are constantly looking to improve, so your feedback is welcomed. We will share your comment with the appropriate staff to make any needed improvements or corrections. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to change your mind about the course.

"Jane"

wintersweet's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/16/2018

Beautiful course, excellent layout.less maintenance ,wet and muddy

"Challenging Course"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/10/2018

This is a beautiful course with sweeping views of the Ko’Olau mountains. It is not a Course for first time or new golfers. It is incredibly difficult with many holes that have difficult carries over ravines. For these that want a challenge, this is the course for you. Golf Now was very easy to use. Enjoy!!

"Most beautiful course you’ll ever see"

mrhonda's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/07/2018

Unfortunately it was the worst condition you could ask for. This was my 4th time playing and it was muddy no fairways with grass on them and poorly maintained . I just brought a friend out that didn’t play just to see the incredible scenery. Probably won’t come back, sorry because I really like the layout.

Response from Ko'olau Golf Club on 02/13/2018:

Hello, thank you for taking the time to review our course, Ko'olau Golf Club, and for the 3 stars. We are sorry to see that the course may not have been in the best shape when you played and your feedback is appreciated. It looks like you had a friendly experience with our staff and that your round was a great value for you, so we hope this improved your overall experience with us. Thank you for your choosing our course, in the Oahu, Hawaii area, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

"Hardest course"

baileyde's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/02/2018

I've played some tough courses before, but this course was the toughest by far!!! Loved the course, bring extra balls or play smart & use the drop areas!!! Would recommend it to any of my buddies that come to Oahu!!

"The views, the people"

u062075227's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/29/2018

If you want a course with amazing backdrops that will leave you in awe, this is it. Is like you're on the set Jureasic park. In terms of golf condition, there is room to improve and i hope they do. The course layout is difficult and fun. Had the course been dry it would have been slightly easier. But the real hems are the people running the course. They are fun, interesting, and gracious. I'll come back if i get the chance.

"Jurassic park"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/20/2018

Beautiful scenery the gully is very deceiving you definitely need a book to tell you where to place the ball

The green need some work ( very slow and bumpy) very challenging course

"Unbelievable Hawaiian golf experience!"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/17/2018

A must play. Short drive from Waikiki Beach. Incredible views.

"Lots of Carries"

hoya94's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/07/2018
First time playing Used cart Wet weather Verified Purchaser

Fun course. lots of carries - not able to hit driver on some par 5s. Greens were true. Need to hit the ball fairly straight or bring extras! Course is on the wet side of the mountain, be prepared for damp conditions.

Matthew8299249's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/05/2018
First time playing Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

i must have been a nice course when it was taken care of. Crab grass and other grasses have taken over everywhere. so you are essentially hitting off the dirt often. The tee boxes and greens havent been aerated and rebuilt in a long time. it was the second sunny day after a wet stretch. The crew was working hard to beat back the jungle. They surely are more focused on making money on catering and facility rental.

Response from Ko'olau Golf Club on 01/09/2018:

Hello, thank you for taking the time to review our course, Ko'olau Golf Club, and for the 3 stars. We are sorry to see that the course may not have been in the best shape when you played and your feedback is appreciated. It looks like you had a friendly experience with our staff and that your round was a great value for you, so we hope this improved your overall experience with us. Thank you for your choosing our course, in the Honolulu County area, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.