Ko'olau Golf Club

GPS: No

Practice bunker: Yes

Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover, JCB Welcomed

Location is worth the drive convenient to the city   Great for wildlife/ scenic views advanced golfers a bucket list/top 100 pick   Challenges include forced carries narrow fairways elevation changes   Great for 19th hole scenic views drinks

"Challenging Course"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/10/2018

This is a beautiful course with sweeping views of the Ko’Olau mountains. It is not a Course for first time or new golfers. It is incredibly difficult with many holes that have difficult carries over ravines. For these that want a challenge, this is the course for you. Golf Now was very easy to use. Enjoy!!

"Most beautiful course you’ll ever see"

mrhonda's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/07/2018

Unfortunately it was the worst condition you could ask for. This was my 4th time playing and it was muddy no fairways with grass on them and poorly maintained . I just brought a friend out that didn’t play just to see the incredible scenery. Probably won’t come back, sorry because I really like the layout.

Response from Ko'olau Golf Club on 02/13/2018:

Hello, thank you for taking the time to review our course, Ko'olau Golf Club, and for the 3 stars. We are sorry to see that the course may not have been in the best shape when you played and your feedback is appreciated. It looks like you had a friendly experience with our staff and that your round was a great value for you, so we hope this improved your overall experience with us. Thank you for your choosing our course, in the Oahu, Hawaii area, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

"Hardest course"

baileyde's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/02/2018

I've played some tough courses before, but this course was the toughest by far!!! Loved the course, bring extra balls or play smart & use the drop areas!!! Would recommend it to any of my buddies that come to Oahu!!

"The views, the people"

u062075227's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/29/2018

If you want a course with amazing backdrops that will leave you in awe, this is it. Is like you're on the set Jureasic park. In terms of golf condition, there is room to improve and i hope they do. The course layout is difficult and fun. Had the course been dry it would have been slightly easier. But the real hems are the people running the course. They are fun, interesting, and gracious. I'll come back if i get the chance.

"Jurassic park"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/20/2018

Beautiful scenery the gully is very deceiving you definitely need a book to tell you where to place the ball

The green need some work ( very slow and bumpy) very challenging course

"Unbelievable Hawaiian golf experience!"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/17/2018

A must play. Short drive from Waikiki Beach. Incredible views.

"Lots of Carries"

hoya94's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/07/2018
First time playing Used cart Wet weather Verified Purchaser

Fun course. lots of carries - not able to hit driver on some par 5s. Greens were true. Need to hit the ball fairly straight or bring extras! Course is on the wet side of the mountain, be prepared for damp conditions.

Matthew8299249's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/05/2018
First time playing Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

i must have been a nice course when it was taken care of. Crab grass and other grasses have taken over everywhere. so you are essentially hitting off the dirt often. The tee boxes and greens havent been aerated and rebuilt in a long time. it was the second sunny day after a wet stretch. The crew was working hard to beat back the jungle. They surely are more focused on making money on catering and facility rental.

Response from Ko'olau Golf Club on 01/09/2018:

Hello, thank you for taking the time to review our course, Ko'olau Golf Club, and for the 3 stars. We are sorry to see that the course may not have been in the best shape when you played and your feedback is appreciated. It looks like you had a friendly experience with our staff and that your round was a great value for you, so we hope this improved your overall experience with us. Thank you for your choosing our course, in the Honolulu County area, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

"Exotic, fun and scenic"

AKFooFighter's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/01/2018
First time playing Used cart Wet weather Verified Purchaser

Winter can be the rainy season in The 808. While it didn't rain much on us, the course was a bit soggy. Balls plugged and could be difficult to locate. Otherwise, a brilliant place to okay and a wonderful day.

"Disappointed Golfer"

Dforeman's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/01/2018

I played this course on the 1st of Jan 2018. I was really surprised of how unkept it was. The greens were horrible and it it is a wet Course. It was cart path only and I understand why for sure. I hit several balls in the fairway that I never found because they were plugged. The course was not manicured as one would think for the money. The course should have been half priced. The condintions for the money did not make much sense. The staff was great. Maybe I will try it again on my next visit for work but I am not sure. The sceneries were great I must say.

Response from Ko'olau Golf Club on 01/04/2018:

Thank you for sharing your review, We truly appreciate both your positive and constructive feedback regarding the course conditions and will be sure to pass it along to our team. We’re thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our staff and sceneries at Ko'olau Golf Club, and also appreciate your input on our maintenance. We hope to welcome you back for an enjoyable experience on the course in the near future.

"Not up to previous standards"

petertherrien's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/12/2017
Previously played Used cart Wet weather

I played Ko'olau about 9 years ago, and was really looking forward to playing it again. It definitely did not meet expectations. The Ambassador and the Pro Shop were great.

Before I go father I must preface my remarks that it was an ugly day, with heavy rain showers intermittently, and wind. Also, my game was not particularly on, partly due to conditions. That said, the course was in dreadful condition. Started on the gold tees, but realized right away that the soggy conditions made the golds a 7100 yard slog, so moved up to the blues.The tees were rough and uncut, and the grass that now dominates most fairways was some thick-bladed almost weed. In the rough, it was weed. The greens were dreadful; little dirt mounds from worms all over, and crabgrass on many of them.

If you are going to play this course, it should be in dry season, and come prepared to lose balls, no matter how good you are.

Response from Ko'olau Golf Club on 12/18/2017:

Hello Peter, thank you for taking the time to review us, Ko'olau Golf Club in Hawaii. We're very sorry to hear that your recent experience with us did not meet your expectations, and we greatly appreciate your feedback regarding the conditions of the course so we can make improvements for your experience with us in the future. However, we hope the positive experience with our staff helped improve your recent round and that your next one can be played on a brighter day. Thank you for choosing our course, and we hope to see you again soon.

"Beautiful views spoiled by golfing in a swamp"

Kevin6843704's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/11/2017

This course should not be open if they have received rain. Cart path only made for an exhausting round of soaking feet and lost balls in the middle of the fairway.

Response from Ko'olau Golf Club on 12/14/2017:

Hello Kevin, thank you for taking the time to review us, Ko'olau Golf Club in Hawaii. We're very sorry to hear you had a poor customer experience with us recently due to wet course conditions on the day of your round. However, we appreciate your feedback so we can work towards any necessary improvements for your future experience with us. Thank you for choosing our course, and we hope to see you again soon.

"Could be amazing"

utmurray33's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/06/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather

An outstanding layout with amazing scenery and visually beautiful holes. A real challenging course. The problem now is the condition which has suffered tremendously from heavy rains allowing a weed of some kind to mix with the grass throughout the course including greens. Some shots just inches off the fairway almost impossible.

They are working with several sources in the area to correct the situation and hopefully can restore this magnificent facility

Response from Ko'olau Golf Club on 12/26/2017:

Hello, thank you for taking the time to review our course, Ko'olau Golf Club in Hawaii, and for the 3 stars. We are so glad to hear you enjoy our facility, views, and course layout. However, we greatly appreciate your feedback and patience in regards to the conditions of the course as we work towards improvements and hope you will notice some of these improvements during your next round with us. Thank you for choosing our course, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

"Zero room for error"

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/05/2017

Played during the rainy season so the course was pretty muddy. Crazy layout, beautiful views. Back nine was upper wet and muddy. I’d recommend a less frustrating experience and course for the money.

Course Layout: Poor

Response from Ko'olau Golf Club on 12/11/2017:

Hello, thank you for taking the time to review our course, Ko'olau Golf Club in Hawaii. We're very sorry to hear the course may not have been in the best shape on the day of your round due to wet conditions, and we appreciate your feedback for improving your future experience with us. However, we hope the course staff and views were able to improve your recent round. Thank you for golfing with us, and we hope to see you again soon.

"A “must play” course, but leave your pencil at home"

patfrench's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/19/2017

Unbelievably beautiful course through the jungles of Oahu. Well worth playing. BUT as hard of a course as you will ever play and in bad condition. So play it for the experience and don’t fret over your score. Bring a bag of old balls and hit away. Even when you hit well, you may not find your ball. Green are in bad shape and covered with stuff from the trees. All in all, well worth the experience.

yurima's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/18/2017

Course Layout: Poor

Response from Koolau Golf Club on 11/22/2017:

Hello, thank you for taking the time to review our course, Koolau Golf Club. It looks like you may have had a poor experience at our golf course, so we do apologize. Any additional feedback on where improvements can be made would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for choosing to golf with us, in Hawaii, and we hope to earn your business again soon.

"This course is best on Island"

jimgolf96's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/17/2017

I was worried about the condition of the course after reading many bad reviews here. However when I just limited reviews to those given in last 6 months I noticed they were much much higher than those more than a year old, so I took a chance. Two days earlier I played Turtle Bay, so I had played highly rated courses and was prepared to take a step down. Boy was I surprised by this course! It was fantastic! I arrived 45 minutes early because I didn't know how Waikiki traffic would be. No problem. Nic in the Pro Shop was absolutely great! He offered advise on the course and the surrounding area. He said I could go out early or hit the range. I went right out because the light on the mountains was incredible. I started on the back nine because utility company was doing work running lines on the front. I had a love/hate relationship with course over the first three holes. Absolutely loved the views but lost 3 balls. I thought every hole was going to have a forced carry over jungle. Fortunately, the course let up after the first 3 or 4 holes. The greens might not have looked perfect but they putted true and were fairly fast considering they had gotten 6 inches of fain earlier in the week. While it was cart path only, the course wasn't that wet. In fact I didn't even get my shoes muddy. The course layout is not one where you can just bomb it off the tee. It really makes you look at the situation and think about where you have to hit the ball. Sometimes you need to hit less than driver to set up your approach shot to minimize the danger.The course was in very good, if not perfect, shape. An earlier review pointed out damaged areas caused by wild pigs, however I only noticed that on two holes and only on one hole did it come into play. (Also saw a few of the culprits running through jungle.) The front 9 was much easier and no need to keep cart on path. They offer a replay at the cart only rate so I played the back 9 again. Much better results as I understood how to approach those tough holes. Every staff member was very friendly. Even the guy at the snack bar offered to get us cups of ice and asked if we needed cold towels. I would definitely play this course again. I thought it was a much better experience than Turtle Bay and Hawaii Prince course at much lower fee. I would urge you to play it before the fees go back up to reflect how great a course and location it is.

"Overpriced"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/26/2017

As a tourist you pay a lot more than what they call they’re local fee. The day I played no one was playing. So pace I play was good. But the back nine was tore up on several fairways by wild hogs. The guy I played with that day told me the courses in Oahu are hurting financially because they are over charging for tourist. Makes sense, this course was not worth the price. But it was cheaper than most and it does have great views.

Response from Ko'olau Golf Club on 11/16/2017:

Hello, thank you for taking the time to review our course, Ko'olau Golf Club, and for the 3-stars. We are sorry to hear that your round was not at a great value for you and your feedback is appreciated. It sounds like you had a smooth round and it looks like you had a friendly experience with our staff, so we hope that improved your round with us. Thank you for choosing to play our course, in the Oahu area, and we hope to see you back with us again soon.

"Spectacular!!"

johnhko's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/14/2017

We lucked out totally. Weather was perfect other than a little mist on 2 holes. Booked a hot deals time. There was a single who played in front of us and we never saw him again after the 3rd hole. Nobody behind us ALL ROUND! Had the course to ourselves and the maintenance crew. Took our time taking absolutely gorgeous pictures. Course is tough if you don't hit the fairway but I actually expected worse after reading reviews from years ago. Apparently new management has cleared lot of the difficulty away now and is still working on it. I would love to play it again now that I know where to put the ball. Views are breathtaking. Must play if you're on Oahu and the weather is ok. It does get a lot of rain there apparently. Check with the pro shop.

"Awesome views"

Nua2885107's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/12/2017

Great pace, awesome views. Tough rough, and if you want to score well lay up.