Ko'olau Golf Club

2.6

Ko'olau Golf Club
Scorecard for Koolau Golf Club
Black M: 78.2/153 593 410 442 193 433 435 586 210 411 3713 426 530 364 209 421 373 567 231 476 3597 7310
Gold M: 75.4/150 567 381 416 161 399 410 554 183 380 3451 390 518 339 176 390 338 544 203 448 3346 6797
Blue M: 73.7/141 534 351 390 145 382 385 543 168 357 3255 376 508 310 159 365 312 511 178 432 3151 6406
White M: 70.5/131 W: 75.2/144 460 351 390 145 382 385 392 168 301 2974 376 417 310 159 214 312 511 178 284 2761 5735
Red W: 72.3/129 460 305 327 104 309 329 392 141 301 2668 321 417 267 101 214 232 446 152 284 2434 5102

Year Built 1992
Greens Seashore Paspalum Grass

Credit Cards Accepted VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover, JCB Welcomed

• Golf Advisor: Top 25 Most Improved U.S. Golf Courses (2017 #2)

A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 18

Casual water everywhere

This course do to weather conditions is almost unplayable. The views are breathtaking layout unlike anywhere else.. sloppy, muddy, balls absolutely disappear in fairways.. footing is again unplayable.. price should reflect conditions! Greens were also not maintained due to conditions.. sorry wish I could give better review

Response from Ko'olau Golf Club on 10/11/2018:
Hello, on behalf of Ko'olau Golf Club staff we appreciate you taking the time to address your concerns as we are always looking to improve. We are disappointed to hear that you were not happy with the conditions of the course but still hope you enjoyed your round. Again, we appreciate your feedback and hope to see you again soon.

Amazing scenery

While the course condition wasn’t “pristine”, it was ok, but that’s not the reason to play this course. The scenery is the most amazing I’ve ever seen in my 35 years of golf, and the layout is challenging but a lot of fun because you have to be tactical about your shots. Staff was great too!

Unfair Course

Front nine was in good shape. Back nine is always cart path only because there is no way to get a cart to the fairway on almost all holes. So you do a lot of walking up and down hills from the cart path to find or get to your ball. If you don't hit in the fairway, you are either in a deep ravine in rough so unmanageable that it takes forever to find you ball, if in fact you can. Lots of muddy conditions, and no REAL grass in the fairways. Again, front nine was OK, but back nine makes this course a downer.

Response from Ko'olau Golf Club on 09/20/2018:
Hello, thank you for taking the time to review our course, Ko'olau Golf Club, and for the 3 stars. We are sorry to see that the back 9 of the course may not have been in the best shape when you played. Your feedback is greatly appreciated and we will use it to make the necessary improvements to the course. Thank you for your choosing our course, we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Beautiful, but tough

I understand now why this course is ranked the third most challenging in the world. It is tough to carry the ravines and there is virtually no chance of finding your ball in the lush jungle. The views of the mountains are absolutely stunning. My biggest complaint: I called over a week in advance to confirm that they had women's left-handed clubs to rent and reserved a set. When I showed up, they had none available - didn't even stock them! They gave me a LH set of senior clubs for half price. Apparently, their main phone number goes to a reservation center in Chicago, and that was who gave me the incorrect information.

Response from Ko'olau Golf Club on 09/13/2018:
Hello, thank you for taking the time to review our course, Ko'olau Golf Club, in the Honolulu County area. We are sorry to see that you may have had a poor customer experience with us and that the course may not have been in the best shape when you played. Any additional feedback is greatly appreciated so that we can improve your experience with us in the future. Thank you for choosing to golf with us and we hope to see you again soon.

not as good as I remembered it

staff on site was very nice but snack bar was closed and no cart girl

course is not being kept up very well. any time I was just off the fairway I couldnt see he ball untill it was 3ft or less away on all of the front 9. back 9 was better but not great

all fairways are quite lumpy although fairway cut was good most of the time on back 9.

the 5 or 6 times I was in a trap I had to get it out of mud not wet sand.

havnt played there in about 4 years and will not again

Response from Ko'olau Golf Club on 09/06/2018:
Hello, thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to review your experience with us, we truly appreciate your feedback and will certainly pass it along to our team. We hope to have another opportunity to welcome you back to the 5-star experience that you deserve.

Great time at Koolau - Golfing in Jurassic Park

I played Koolau yesterday, shortly after a major rain storm, while there were a few bunkers with water and wet fairway spots, the course for the most part was in excellent condition. While it is a demanding track, we found it to be a very fair layout. Every hole is unique creating its own challenge, 18 holes of WOW! The scenery is simply amazing, carved through a rainforest and up against the mountains. We had the course to ourselves, probably due to the rain the night before. Summing it up, I think this is the best golfing experience in Oahu, creating a truly unique golf memory. The owners have put a lot on money into the course, cleaning up some of the forest, redoing the bunkers, making play a bit easier and more open. The greens are in good condition, but slow, maybe a 6 or 7, but that seems normal for this type of course. I am a 13 HCP, played from the blues and had a blast, my son 3HCP, shot lights out. They have moved the white tees up to avoid the long carries making it playable for the high HCPers. I played Royal Hawaiian last week and this course if so much better. Truly a memorable unique golf experience

Spectacular scenery

Overall the course was in good shape. It rained hard the night before which resulted in the occasional mud ball but overall the fairways were good. The greens were very slow. The course was well maintained overall. The scenery was fantastic on every hole and the people working there were very friendly.

Fun Day

What a beautiful course. It plays tough as the isn’t a lot of room for error off the fairway.

Strong Layout with Challenging Holes

Ko'olau is a very challenging golf course. You must be striking the ball well to score here. Greens are good with consistent speeds, a few had some rough spots but it didn't effect play that much. Course was very wet and sloppy in places, cleaned mud off ball nearly every shot. Pace of play was very slow, had a local Sunday morning group with 6 plus groups in front of me and they were struggling. A number of holes are target style, so you must know your carry distances. Would like rate to be a little lower, but would definitely play again.

Awesome course

This course is beautiful, difficulty, and worth it.

Golfing in Hawai

Played from the white tees, not my best round but the views were fantastic. Course and staff were very helpful. I would play this course again. Aloha

Play Once but move on

This course has been rated as Golf Digests top courses to play and is rated as Oahu’s tip course. The course over all I would give it only a three star rating. The scenery, location, and vistas that this course contains are remarkable. The course itself needs a little greenskeeper attention. The fairways were in rough shape and very uneven with multiple types of turf or “weeds”. I was disappointed in the fairways. Many fairways on the back nine showed exposed mud and dirt and minimal fairway turf. The greens were ok but were recently sanded and included many dry out spots. This made the putting surface very bouncy. I played over Memorial Day weekend thus I would have thought that the course would have been in remarkable condition. It also appeared that the grass only gets cut every so often and was recently cut because there was a lot of clumps I’d mowed grass covering a lot of the approach locations. Made the course aesthetically unpleasant. #13 is a par three. It hit the ball from the tee only five feet off the fringe but lost the ball because how soggy and unkept they kept the grass around the greens. I felt this was unfair for golf to hit a close shot and only

Have to lose it because of unkept grass.

The Practice facilities also needed a little attention. For this being the number one course on Oahu I was surprised by the upkeep or lack there of. Played, Checked off the list, probably wouldn’t be my preference to play again.

Response from Ko'olau Golf Club on 05/29/2018:
Hello, on behalf of the Ko'olau Golf Club staff, we appreciate you taking the time to address your concerns as we are always looking to improve. We are sorry to hear that you were not happy with the conditions of the course but still hope you enjoyed your round. Again, we appreciate your feedback and hope to see you again soon.

awesome scenery

This course has truly some of the most fantastic vistas of any course. The condition of the course was that it was very wet and muddy. The ball would plug in the fairway, rough and around the greens, It made for a very tough course even more tough.

Response from Ko'olau Golf Club on 05/17/2018:
Hello, thank you for sharing your review, We truly appreciate both your positive and constructive feedback regarding the course conditions and will be sure to pass it along to our team. We’re thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our staff and sceneries at Ko'olau Golf Club, and also appreciate your input on our maintenance. We hope to welcome you back for an enjoyable experience on the course in the near future.

Definitely one of the best and difficult course to play

Thanks Golf Now for the hot deal. Made our vacation one to remember. Beautiful Course

Bring a lot of balls

Beautiful location and views. The course is not in great shape. Greens have a mix of grasses. The fairways were very wet and muddy and rough. Balls hit in the fairway were very difficult to find of were lost, covered I mud if hidden in the grass. If it weren't for the scenic views or would have been a miserable round.

Response from Ko'olau Golf Club on 04/30/2018:

play it for the amazing views

I was hesitant to play this course after reading the reviews but rolled the dice anyway. I’m glad I did. The staff were amazing and very knowledgeable. I’ve never had the marshal at the first tee spend so much time giving us his knowledge of the course and what to look out for and how to play it, Bill is a credit to the club.

Use google maps to get there not Apple maps!

The front nine played well even though it was supposed to be wet which it was and the ball didn’t carry on the bounce as much as you’d like but you learn to play with it.

The back nine was wet and we did lose quite a few balls but like the pair behind us said, they would’ve payed just to drbe be the cart around the course and take in the views.

If you play off the white tees that’s like your municpal level course and the golds are championship level. Ravines will play with your mind so pretend they’re not there.

All in all I really enjoyed the round and the experience so go and try it.

Ko’olau Golf

A fantastic golf course with awesome views of the mountains and ocean. Each hole was challenging and you had to use all your clubs. Would love to play it again.

Spectacular scenery, challenging layout, just OK conditions

This is a true Jurassic golf experience. The scenery is spectacular - mountains directly line the course. The layout is challenging - be straight or bring a lot if extra balls. The conditions were ok - slow muni-esque greens and very long, uneven fairway grass. I lost balls that would just disappear even on the fairway. That said, I think the rough conditions contribute to the "jungle" experience: stay away if you're looking for perfect greens, but overall this is a unique, worthwhile golf experience.

Extremely Wet

Although the course was very attractive, on the day of play is was extremely wet. Even the fairways were very soggy, to the point where it was practically impossible to find a dry spot to hit the ball. On that day, it was not worth the money paid!!

Response from Ko'olau Golf Club on 03/07/2018:
Hello. We appreciate your taking the time to write a review. We were pleased to see how much you enjoyed the course layout. We hope that you still had an enjoyable round despite the residual weather conditions. Your feedback is greatly appreciated, and we will share it with our staff so that we can improve your future experiences at our course. Thank you for choosing to golf with us here at Ko'olau Golf Club. We hope to see you again soon!
Kaneohe, Hawaii