Ko'olau Golf Club

Year Built 1992
Greens Seashore Paspalum Grass
Architect Dick Nugent (1992) Brad Bartell

Credit Cards Accepted VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover, JCB Welcomed

• Golf Advisor: Top 25 Most Improved U.S. Golf Courses (2017 #2)

A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 19

This course has potential but save your money and go to Pali up the street

I was excited to play this course and arrived to a very friendly staff.
They warned us of the slow greens and difficulty of the course, which I was ready for a challenging course. My GHIN is 0.6 so the wife and I thought it would be fun standing on the first tee with all the beautiful Vistas.
Front nine was wet and very little grass in the fairways, no sand in the bunkers and the greens were probably a 4 on the stimp.
We finished the front nine and then the back nine started. I hit in the middle of the fairway on the first four holes on the back and it took 3 to 5 minutes to find my ball. After this and the course be torn up by the wild boars we finally decided to leave.
The condition of the fairways and the greens was so bad.
We travel around a lot and would not recommend Golf Now to advertise this course.
It has so much potential but falls short of expectations.

Commented on 12/12/2019

Hi Carynelson. We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. We see you rated the course 1-star and are interested in learning what we can do to improve for your next visit. We take single star feedback very serious at our course. You are welcome to comment further or reach out to our team in the golf shop. We always appreciate the feedback. Thank you for playing Ko'olau Golf Club.

Very Challenging Course

I don't write reviews, but feel compelled to in this case. I really enjoy this course, but always leave a little disappointed because it could be so much better. The Overall Score is 4, but I would have preferred to mark it as a 3.5. Pace of Play: My experience is that pace is generally good. On our last round, we were behind 2 foursomes, who collectively lost 6 balls off the first tee. But, they let us play through after the 3rd and 4th holes. Course conditions: The conditions were not good even adjusted for the fact that it is on the wetter windward side of Oahu (compare this course to Pali--the municipal course next door--which is also subject to the same general weather conditions). The bunkers were almost like hardpan (maybe the biggest disappointment). The back nine was particularly wet, and appears to need an upgraded drainage system. Staff Friendliness. Scored it as a "3" b/c, although the staff we met were friendly, the place seems to be understaffed. Including the person in the snack bar, only saw 3 employees. Value for the money. Although I grew up in Hawaii, I am now a "non-resident". Given prevailing non-resident prices this is a good value, especially if you can find a deal online. Course Layout. Love the layout, its the main reason I keep coming back. The 18th hole--where you must carry a huge ravine on your drive, then carry the same ravine on your approach--is one of my favorite holes. The backdrop for the course is the Ko'olau range--stunning. Definitely take a drive to the back tee on #15. Off Course Amenities. Rated as "Poor" b/c the driving range was closed and the practice greens were much slower and unkempt relative to (most of) the course greens. The food is so-so. Seemed understaffed. High handicappers should bring lots of balls. I enjoy this course, but overall it almost feels like the owners don't really understand golf, and keep investment into it at a bare minimum.

Challenging layout

First time playing this course, course conditions not as good as I would have expected. Greens were sandy and tee boxes needed weeding.

Not Worth It

Great views, drainage is needed as it is constantly wet.

They are letting the golf course go, particularly on the back nine.

Sand traps haven’t been touched in ages.

Greens were too slow and needed to be rolled.

Number 1 rated course in OAHU maybe 10 to 15 years ago.

Commented on 10/31/2019

Thank you for reviewing the course. Let us first start by apologizing for the poor experience you had during your visit. The current condition is by no means the standard we strive to achieve, and we are working towards getting things up to par. Thank you for playing Ko'olau Golf Club. We hope to see you again soon with noticeable improvements.

Beauty views but...

Very wet back 9 with ground under repair and plugged drives.

Commented on 10/28/2019

Hello, drdna. Thank you for reviewing the course. Your feedback about the course is important to us. With the recent rain we are working to get everything up to par. The current condition is by no means the standard we strive to achieve. We will continue to work towards an excellent experience by using your comment for guidance. Thank you for playing Ko'olau Golf Club. We hope to see you again soon.

Fantastic

Incredible staff. Very helpful and friendly. Course was extremely difficult of course but will be coming back soon as it was a wonderful experience.

Muddy trip

We played this course again because it is so beautiful. The conditions today were poor at best. This is an extremely tough course to start with, add super wet conditions and it’s not much fun. It’s one thing to lose balls in the bush but losing them in the middle of the fairway is totally different. I know they can’t control the weather but when it’s that wet the price should go down. They were hardly anyone else playing. Maybe if they reduced the price more people would play.

Commented on 10/22/2019

Hello, thank you for reviewing the course. Let us first start by apologizing for the poor experience you had during your visit. Your feedback about the course is important to us. With the recent rain we are working to get everything up to par. The current condition is by no means the standard we strive to achieve. We will continue to work towards an excellent experience by using your comment for guidance. Thank you for playing Ko'olau Golf Club. We hope to see you again soon.

Beautiful but tough course.

I had the first tee time and so I played at my own pace. Took many photos because I wasn’t rushed and the course is amazing. I have a 20 handicap and this was the most challenging course I’ve ever played. Bring at least a dozen balls because you’ll need them...lost 5 balls in the first 4 holes. The staff was friendly and I want to give Brian and Carl a shout out for being so kind. I will be back, next time with more golf balls.

Magnificent Scenery

The course has unbelievable scenery and the layout is superb, highly recommend anyone considering playing Ko Olau to go for it but be sure to have either your Agame or lots of golfballs

Beautiful and tight course

Don’t worry about bringing your driver unless you are playing from the tips.

Tight course with several lay up shots.

Can’t beat the backdrop of the mountains!

Beautiful Round of Golf

The views of the mountains and the ocean are amazing and the course is very well laid out. It was challenging but not crazy hard. The pace of play was quick and having the cart computer helped a great deal since we had never played the course before. It was a great experience!

Challenging

Ko'olua was a nice well maintained challenging course with great views of mountains and some of the ocean!

Beautiful Course, Fun Round

Played Ko'olau twice, with a replay deal of just $25 for the second round. The course is in a beautiful location right in the Ko'olau mountains, which makes for some fun golf. The course is well-designed, with a lot of risk/reward shots off the tee. Expect lots of mid/long irons into well-defended greens, as many of the holes have ravines that force you to club down off the tee. There are many holes where driver is a possibility, but the fairway narrows at that distance, so if you don't hit it straight you're lost in the jungle (but if you do you might get a short iron or wedge in). Having those wedges in is helpful if you can pull it off though, because the greens are almost all defended with bunkers, and several are completely surrounded with them. Frequent elevation changes also make judging distance and hitting precise shots a challenge. If you like to challenge yourself on new courses and enjoy the strategy of playing a golf course, this is a great one to try.

My only two complaints were that the bunkers were thin, which made making good shots a challenge, especially when short sided (but I guess that's part of the difficulty of the course...don't leave yourself short sided in bunkers), and that the greens were very slow. The greens took some getting used to, they weren't particularly pure, although some holes were better than others. Other than that this was a great course for a very good price, with great views and a fun experience.

Strategic Golfing At Its Best

Beautifully landscaped course etched in the surrounding mountain. As advised by the club pro - leave your driver in the bag and make use of your long irons, utility clubs, and wedges to score a memorable round.

Beautiful Setting But Difficult Layout!

Course is located in a beautiful setting at the base of the mountains. It was in excellent condition but too difficult for the average golfer. While carts were allowed on the fairways there were too many roped off areas that required a lot of walking. There were also a lot of ravines crossing the fairways, some of which required long shots to traverse. In summary, Beautiful setting but very difficult, especially for seniors.

Must grind

In my opinion it’s a great course, extremely challenging. Bring you A game stay in the moment but most of all enjoy the course.

Non-residents could also book at Golf Now.

It was a course that non-residents can make reservations with few golf courses in Hawaii.
If you have a handicap of 20 or less, please challenge!

Beauty at a Cost...But Totally Worth It!

Most beautiful course I’ve ever played. Well maintained and masterful layout. Not for the faint of heart. Should be an 18 handicap or better to manage the layout. Humble yourself answer you’ll have a blast!

Kaneohe, Hawaii