Mauna Lani Resort - South Course

Tournament 72 6453 yards 70.8 124
Middle 72 6025 yards 69.2 120
Forward (W) 72 5138 yards 69.8 120
Scorecard for South
Championship M: 73.3/127 533 377 208 581 389 401 214 394 387 3484 568 402 198 380 415 196 362 406 513 3440 6924
Tournament M: 70.8/124 515 353 194 551 331 386 201 382 365 3278 518 381 184 342 382 158 331 377 502 3175 6453
Middle M: 69.2/120 492 337 166 514 306 360 163 361 347 3046 488 370 162 321 350 131 319 356 482 2979 6025
Forward W: 69.8/120 432 296 119 488 271 297 109 284 330 2626 448 318 131 249 299 117 275 282 393 2512 5138

Year Built 1981
Greens Seaside Paspalum

Carts Yes - Shared Cart

Dress code Proper golf attire must be worn at all times

• Golf Advisor: Best of Golf Advisor (2018 #10)
  • Golf Advisor: Top 25 Course Conditions in the U.S. (2018 #4)
  • Golf Advisor: Top Courses in Hawaii (2018 #1) (2017 #6)

Perfect Hawaii conditions

This was my 3rd time playing this course and it never gets old. One of my favorites in all the Hawaii islands. I can't recommend this course higher.

Experience of a lifetime

As an avid average below golfer it was a fun and challenging course. I am a straight shooter. Someone with a draw or fade might find lava and no ball. Holes are different features. For not knowing course I handled well

playing on carpeting

Course conditions were perfect, like carpeting. Staff was a little dry but helpful. They lacked the enthusiasm you would expect for a high dollar course. Oceanside holes were spectacular. No push from anyone behind us. Perfect pace to match perfect conditions. So nice!

Fabulous first time

Great condition, staff, early morning pace.
Only lacks a cafe or dining room.

Call course before booking online

The rates jump up and down, best to contact proshop prior to booking on golf now. I received a better deal through course.
The course is amazing with perfect fairways and greens cut through lava fields, 1 of a kind experience.
Would be nice at that price to have gps on carts to help with course layout.
Overall a must

Save the best for last

By far best conditioned course and greens I played during the week Beautiful views along the ocean with a mix of challenging holes and typical resort type layout. Pro shop was well stocked for both men and women and staff were friendly.

I played as a single and played round in 3 hours. Two foursomes were kind and let me play through.

Arizona Advisor

Lava, Palm and Paspalum Paradise

A palm lined and lava outcropping tropical delight. Paspalum greens were perfect, rolling quick and smoothly. The rough requires a firmer stroke as this amazing grass strain sticks the blade unlike the common bermuda found at Mauna Lani's penny pinching neighbors. Playing the tips you'll find the use of visual intimidation off the tee is ever present yet the fairways are quite large to compensate for the blustery typical trade winds. Outstanding #7 and #15 par threes on the ocean are not only amazingly beautiful but fair compared to the monstrosity of near by Mauna Kea's two Pacific signatures. The par four #13 is as well quite beautiful down to the ocean side green overlooking the bay and #15. Off the back tee the excellent just inland par four #14 looks like the meeting of heaven with a slice of green fairway overwhelmed by Dante's Inferno of several black lava outcroppings. Nothing like this hole on earth! Aim for the jagged big black mound slightly right and you'll find the fairway is more than ample to capture good drives. Along with its uniquely different but also great North course Mauna Lani was clearly the best of the Big Island north west coast resort courses. With the magical year round turf you could play these two fine tracks every day and never have the same experience because of the ever changing winds off the brilliant warm blue Pacific. Paradise found.

Awesomeness

If you have the chance to play here do it you will not be disappointed. At arrival to leaving the property you will enjoy every moment of your experience. Course conditions were the best on our trip and we played 7 different courses on Oahu and kona. The best hands down. If you can play early morning or pick a day in the afternoon that the wind won't effect your experience, as the trade winds can push upwards of 40 mph afternoon. Enjoy!

Commented On 2018-06-13T22:43:33.000+00:00

Aloha! We are glad that you had a great time at Mauna Lani Golf!

Golf and whale watch!

This course is so enjoyable and provides spectacular scenery. There are several holes adjacent to the ocean and of course their signature 15th hole has an ocean carry. The course was in perfect condition. Most of the holes provide plenty of bail out opportunities and thus is not as tough as others and perfect for me. Next time I'm on the Big Island I will definitely play this course.

Commented On 2018-06-13T22:45:23.000+00:00

We are glad that you enjoyed the South Course, and enjoyed the 15th Hole! We look forward to seeing you again.

Very pretty course, playable

Glad we played the South Course first. North Course was easier, but with no views. The staff was very good and helpful. Enjoyable day.

Commented On 2018-06-13T22:46:29.000+00:00

Thank you for your review. We hope to see you at Mauna Lani Resort again soon.

Wind was too much.

I really would like to play this course again without the 40 MPH winds. I liked the layout, conditions were great, and pace was great. It didn't stop blowing for the whole round and by 18 it was almost ridiculous.

Incredibly maintained

I spent two weeks on the Big Island and have played eight different courses, so far. The South Course at Mauna Lani was in the best shape of them all by a wide margin. The tee boxes, fairways and greens were all in excellent condition. I played a couple other courses (Mauna Kea and Hapuna) that had greens that were also smooth and fast like this course, but the fairways on those courses were in poor condition. I played in the afternoon, so I paid $140 plus tax. It was the most expensive round I played, but it was worth it. The pace of play was also the best I've seen by a significant amount. My wife and I finished in two hours and twenty minutes. Great course! I would recommend it to anyone visiting the Big Island despite the high cost.

Best course on the island

The course is immaculate. Greens roll very true and the fairways were real grass, unlike ever other course I have played on the island. Much better than waikoloa beach and village courses. The 15th hole is breathtaking and there is a stretch of 3 holes that borders the water that is beautiful. I will definitely play here again.

Could play this course everyday, forever.

Course conditions were immaculate and the best of the six courses I've played on the Kohola Coast including Mauna Kea. I enjoy a wide open resort course with scenery and Mauna Lani delivers in spades. Four of the holes are along the ocean and the views were spectacular. We even saw a whale breaching near the 13th hole. I was going to play the North Course but ended up playing the South Course 3 days in a row. After Mauna Lani, everything else is a let down.

Mauna Lani on my top 5 best Hawaii Courses

Spent a weekend on a golf getaway with a small group (7) of ladies from our hometown course. We flew to Waikoloa on the Big Island of Hawaii and played several courses. Our favorite of the three that we played was Mauna Lani South course.

From the time we checked in to the time we left, their staff paid great attention to all of our needs. Assisted with loading and unloading our clubs, checking us in and directing us to the tee box.

It was a hot day and the normal trade winds were nowhere to be found. Coolers on the carts and complimentary waters were a relief. The beverage cart was hard to find and by the time it came around, we were parched.

The course is very well maintained. From the tee boxes to the greens. Beautiful bunkers and very well trimmed rough. Spectacular ocean views from about 5 holes. Very nice driving range and huge practice green for putting.

Make sure to bring your camera and don’t worry about the pace of play. You’ll love every minute on the course. In fact, it should be on the top 5 list for best Hawaii Golf Courses.

South course good enough to host the Mauna Lani Resort Hawaii State Open

The South course isn't just a pretty face. The course is also good enough to host the Hawaii State Open, which doesn't lack for talent. This year, former PGA TOUR players Dean Wilson, Parker McLachlin and Scott Simpson competed. Wilson won for the second time in three years. I was fortunate enough to pair with McLachlin for the pro-am round. It was great to see how a former PGA TOUR winner (2008 Reno-Tahoe Open) attacks the course. He went for all the par 5s in two, including driver off the deck at No. 1 and made eagle on one of them. Everyday golfers like you and me love the course for its oceanside par 3s, but there's plenty of strong holes inland, too. Playing the South is one of Hawaii island's best golf experiences, pro-am or not.

Texas Advisor

One of the Best in Hawaii

We played the South course under near gale force conditions.
The sustained winds were 40 MPH with gust up to 60 MPH.
Mark, the friendly starter here, said that this was the windiest day he has ever seen.
The guy has been here over ten years.
The course is in fine shape. The greens putt true unless the wind moves the ball. We learned to hit a low ball from living in Texas.
Most of the par fours are doable if you hit a straight tee ball. High ball hitters don't have a chance because the high wind will stop a shot and knock it down or turn it drastically.
The views here are picture postcard variety. We had to take several and Doug the Marshall took a few snaps for us. They provide water and towels in the cart and ice cold towels are
given at the end of the round.
The South course is one of the most scenic on the Big Island. It's a sporty resort style tract, except when there's a high wind alert.
We had some fun here but were challenged by the conditions and we'll be back to play here again when it's tamer.
The good hospitality here and pristine conditions makes Mauna Lani South one of the top courses in Hawaii.

Kohala Coast, Hawaii
Kamuela, Hawaii
Kamuela, Hawaii

Valid dates: Apr 13, 2019 - Apr 16, 2019
The Ak-Chin Smash in the Sun Stay & Play includes a three night stay at Harrah’s Ak-Chin, two rounds of golf at Ak-Chin Southern Dunes, and the ideal location to catch all of the long drive action during the Ak-Chin Smash in the Sun!