Kapalua Resort - The Plantation Course

Resort 73 6019 yards 71.5 132
Forward 73 5627 yards 68.2 127
Forward (W) 75 5627 yards 74.2 133
Scorecard for The Plantation
Championship M: 77.2/144 520 218 380 382 532 398 516 203 521 3670 354 164 420 407 305 555 365 508 663 3741 7411
Regular M: 73.3/140 W: 80.2/144 434 196 352 317 485 378 484 188 490 3324 314 161 373 352 275 510 313 467 585 3350 6674
Regular/Resort M: 71.8/134 W: 78.6/142 417 172 352 317 485 378 465 146 401 3133 283 161 373 333 275 510 293 428 585 3241 6374
Resort M: 71.5/132 W: 77.3/141 417 172 313 218 445 362 465 172 401 2965 283 145 328 333 232 474 293 428 538 3054 6019
Forward M: 68.2/127 W: 74.2/133 381 132 260 218 445 315 450 146 401 2748 251 120 303 300 232 474 282 428 489 2879 5627

Year Built 1991
Architect Ben Crenshaw (1991) Bill Coore (1991)

Caddies Yes
Golf School Academy Yes - "Kapalua Golf Academy"

A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 7

You want to compare yourself to pros??? You are at the right place.

Wow.... is my first word for this course. The course is in great conditions. Greens are fast....views are breathtaking. You need to take wind into consideration... head winds can take off 20 to 30 yards off your drive....

British Columbia Advisor

Pre Champions event

Today was my first time playing the Plantation. As we are only a few weeks away from the tournament, there was lots of maintenance going on. Greens had sand and they were cutting trees and foliage throughout the course, grand stands being built etc.

It was exciting to play the course but found the green fees high for what it is. Having said that, we are in a resort area and this is Hawaii.

Staff was excellent. Pace of play slow, 5 hour round with some “a little too laid back” older folks ahead of us who decide not to let anyone play through:)

Highly recommend playing this course more than once if you wanna score well. It would help a lot because of the elevation changes and the roll out. The knowledge from just playing this once would be huge on shaving strokes.

There is a promo where you can play as much as you want over 3 days at Plantation and/or the Bay course for $699. This is the best deal if you’re here to play.

Overall it’s an amazing area, scenery and glad I’ve checked this off my list.

Top 100 for a reason

I played here due to the status of its top 100 place and it did not disappoint. This was one of the places I would recommend to anyone if you come to Maui and want to play golf.

The course is challenging but playable. I had trouble with the greens but you could tell they are getting ready for the PGA. Do not skip playing here if you have the chance.

Course conditions at the Plantation Course do not warrant the current price.

I played the Plantation course this morning. We were told about the aeration, closed 14th green and the repaired green aprons. What were were not told was about the amount of ground under repair and the greens with multiple patches. If you charge $199 your reduced rate , you should fully disclose the course conditions. Right now I suggest playing another course in Maui.

Really disappointed after paying over $600 to play a round there with my family.

Spectacular and tough

I'd seen the pros play this course on TV but seeing it in person was an eye opener. How can those pros walk this course 4 straight days? Talk about elevation change!! For us it seemed like every downhill hole was also down wind, whereas all the uphill shots were into the wind. And wind there was. This course is known for wind and it delivered!! I have to admit though it's pretty awesome to blast one way down the fairway on 17 and 18 - almost felt like Dustin Johnson. Not so much on others, like number 10 which was uphill and into the wind (lol).

There are several holes where lack of knowledge is a problem. Two holes feature blind tee shots and with an aiming post, and a few have gulleys running through the fairways that can really hurt you if you are on the down slope or roll into the deeper rough. The first hole is not a driver hole although it looks like one. The starter will clue you in on what to hit but on other holes be sure to check the gps system to see what lies ahead.

We played 6 courses in Hawaii and these greens were by far the fastest especially downhill. Uphill putts tend to come up short, and lord help you on cross hill putts which can break feet.

The views from most of the holes are simply spectacular. Don't let the extreme challenge of every hole distract you from enjoying the fact you are on one of the most beautiful golf courses around.

It's expensive but should be on your bucket list - you'll not regret the experience.

More than just eye candy

If you’re going to take time to play golf in Paradise, shouldn’t it be something unique. C+C at their best. Created a course that can host a pro tournament, and more importantly, is playable and fun for the amateur golfer. Generous fairways, multiple angles for approach, just enough character to the greens to make you smile. This was never designed to be a walking course, so accept it and enjoy the ride. We caught a headwind on 17 and 18 and still finished with a smile. All the other courses on the island could be found on the mainland. This is a must play original on Maui!

Dan1499450
Commented On 02/22/2018

Kapalua bumps Cabo Del Sol-Ocean out of my top 10 ever played.

Too hard for hackers

Too many valleys with high rough to hit over. Views were great, but no real ocean holes. Just not playable for bogey golfers. Play Kaanapali or Wailea instead.

A Bucket List course

I loved playing the course. It's very expensive, so not something you'd want to do too often, but I loved. Every view is fantastic. I had expected the course to be a slog, reading other reviews, like no flat lies and such. But it wasn't like that. It's hard, and the greens can take time getting used to (I assume, though I never did). But it lived up to how it looks on TV, and I loved playing it. I haven't played any of the real top bucket list type courses (pinehurst, pebble, etc.), but this must rank up there. Highly recommended.

Incredible

This was a fantastic course, all of the 11 holes I played. My tee time was 3 o'clock, usually that would be long enough to finish but unfortunately I saw nothing but hackers out in front of me. To make matters worse, it was cart path only because it was the week before the PGA tournament of Champions. When going to Maui you should definitely play this course, it is a once in a lifetime opportunity. But, get an early tee time and when out on the course just enjoy the day.

It Doesn't Get Any Better Than This

I've played quite a few great courses in my 25 of playing this great game (Pebble Beach, TPC Sawgras) and let me tell you -- Kapalua Plantation is as good as it gets. The staff is TOP NOTCH and the course conditions are even better. It's priced fairly for a course of this magnitude. Treat yourself. Bring a camera and be prepared to be more focused on the stunning views than on your golf game. 3 putting doesn't seem so bad when you are overlooking the magnificent views of the Pacific Ocean.

One of the most scenic courses in all of golf

I played the Plantation Course back in May during a visit to Maui, and seeing it now getting ready to host the PGA I thought I would write a review.

Playing at Kapalua is an amazing experience! The views are iconic with the blue ocean and Molokai in the background on most holes. The fairways are fairly wide open with lots of undulation, but what makes this course challenging is the greens. It definitely takes several holes to get used to putting, and you especially have to know how the greens roll in relationship to the direction of Molokai (ask the started before going out about this). My favorite holes are Number 5 (par 5 that wraps around a large ravine), Number 8 (challenging par 3 over a ravine), Number 16 (short par 4 with a double fairway and lots of sandtraps), and number 17 (downhill par 4 with perhaps the best views on the course). Overall I would say this is a course you need to play once in your life.

Pros: Scenery and views!!! Great condition, overall very playable despite having challenging greens, first-class clubhouse amenities

Cons: For a PGA caliber course the driving range is lacking (very small and narrow), price is hefty but you get what you pay for, might be a challenging walk with a few holes that have a large distance between them

Majestic

Plantation course led up to its name. This is Long and demanding course for the average golfer. Bay course is definitely more manageable especially for less skilled golfers. Grouped together with 3 other guys from different parts of the planet. This was fun as we were all on vacation and looking forward to playing this course, many blind shots, was helpful having GPS on carts. We were the last group to finish as the sun was setting, very memorable round of golf. Be careful of weather or wetness: in the morning it was cart path only, by the time we teed off it was 90’ and within an hour that was lifted. I connet imaging using only cart path on a course of this size.

TV does not do this justice

If you are more than a casual golfer, this course must be on your bucket list, it is really worth the time, travel and money to play here. It is a course with more breathtaking views than you can imagine and challenges on the course that can leave you physically and mentally exhausted. Most golfers are familiar with the back nine from the PGA Tour and 17 and 18 are wonderful holes....grip it and rip it and brag to your friends back home how you made par on these long holes.....it's doable. The front nine is a mental challenge with long par 3s and challenging short and long par 4s that really make you think. We played on Super Bowl Sunday when winds were steady at 25 gusting to 35 and had a wonderful time. My wife and I were worn out from the wind but slept well that night.....it kind of reminded us of Tralee but 40 degrees warmer. The greens were a little bare but that was not a factor. The staff was marvelous, especially the starter, and the practice facilities were excellent. Play this course, pick the right tee box and test your skill; you will get a true perspective of how good PGA professionals truly are. As an aside, to the Falcon fans in the 19th hole who rejoiced at having a 21 point lead when we left......I told you so!

Awesome experience

Memories for a lifetime. If you ever get a chance to play this course, do it. Yes, it is expensive, but for most of us it is a once in a lifetime round. I played from the resort tees. I'm a bogey golfer and found it very playable from these tees. Beware the false fronts and have fun on the greens because they will have you shaking your head. It's easy to forget you're golfing because of the views. Take it all in, enjoy it all, and don't worry so much about your score.

Kapalua Plantation Course... dont forget to golf

I have played many courses much closer to the Ocean however I have never had views like the ones you get at the Plantation course at Kapalua. When I mentioned "don't forget to golf" I meant 2 things.

1. If you make it to the Island of Maui please find time to play this despite the price that may detract a few players. Its worth the cash for the view alone, which brings me to ...#2

2. The views can easily take your mind off the task at hand. We all love to play well at good courses but I felt OK with an 80 at Kapalua because I felt I got the opportunity to play and view this 5 Star course. Breaching Whales in the distance brought just as much joy as a birdie.

Staff were very insightful as they disclosed to me to spend a little extra time on the putting green since this course has the highest putting average on tour.

Plantation Restaurant continued to provide amazing views as we quenched our palate.

No fault of Kapalua but they had taken amazing amounts of rain in early December and it still seemed somewhat wet just a weak before the SBS TOC.

$300 price tag and I still would play again. This time I will not forget to golf.

Birmingham Advisor

Confounding round

Despite the course's relative short length, this is one of the toughest courses I've ever played. This is largely due to the wind and slope. I was out of position many times and here that mistake usually costs two strokes instead of one. The course sits on the side of a mountain on an old pineapple plantation, so you are going to get some quirky bounces, egregious rollouts and weird stances. The greens are super quick and a month the grainiest I've ever encountered. Chipping downgrain will cause you to have nightmares. The greens are very difficult to hole putts. Aside from the heavy grain, you must always be aware of where you are in relation to the western-most tip of the island of Molokai. This is significant because all putts on the course will wander toward it. It is uncanny. Even putts that look like they can't possibly break uphill toward that point inevitably will. I cannot imagine how baffling putting here would be without knowing that tip. Your ability to club properly because of the elevation changes and slopes will be at a premium. Driving range is a bit cramped. After the round, don't miss having a beverage in the bar overlooking the 18th fairway. It is one of the great 19th-hole views in the world.

Bucket List Course

The Plantation Course was everything i expected and more!! It is visually stunning when you watch it every year on TV but playing the course is another story. Every hole has a different challenge and you are surrounded by pure Hawaiian beauty. This should be a course on every golfers bucket list. This is in the top 5 of my favorite courses ever played and i will be back for sure!

I've had the good fortune of being able to play Plantation at least 20 times, so I have the advantage of some local knowledge. Certainly everyone wants to play here because it's a stop on the PGA tour, but in my experience some people shouldn't play here. Their skills don't match the difficulties of the course in most cases. Plantation is the type of course that has a different personality on every hole and even that personality can change based on what the trade winds are doing that day. It's a course when you really need to put the ball in the right spot, on the fairways and especially the greens. On some holes, you are aiming away from the flag in order to have a successful approach shot. For people not experienced with Plantation, that can be very frustrating. Also, put your ego aside and be prepared to take a 4 iron for a 150 yard shot. The winds can be that strong. The scenery is beautiful no doubt and part of the fun here is the challenge but if you're looking for a stress free round here, this is not the place as it can expose weaknesses in your game pretty quickly if your swing is loose.

This is a course every golfer must play

This is my all time favorite. The views are spectacular. Every hole is memorable. Long downhill, downwind holes and short uphill, into the wind holes so the course is playable for decent golfers. I am about a 9 hc and a kinda short hitter but the gold tees at 6600 yards didn't seem that long because of the downhill roll you get. Got a discount on an internet site which made it even better but even for full price this course is worth it. I had played it a couple years ago in the rain but this time the weather was perfect. With the Prince course closed on Kauai there is no public course in Hawaii that comes close to this one.

Waiehu, Hawaii