Year Built 1991
Architect Ben Crenshaw (1991) Bill Coore (1991)

Caddies Yes
Golf School Academy Yes - "Kapalua Golf Academy"

Bar, Restaurant

Clubhouse, Spa

Available Activities

Swimming, Billiards

A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 8

Bucket list crossed off

What more can be said? It's Kapalua!!! yeah, it's price., But yeah, you can say you played it. After the redesign, course conditions have changed. The roll out you used to get is not there now. But it will return.
Nothing like standing on the 10th tee, on a picture perfect day, and watch whales jumping everywhere.
Staff is professional. Want something, don't hesitate to ask. They will do everything to accommodate.
Don't forget to get your complimentary engraved bag tag.
Course is kept in immaculate condition. From the tee boxes to the greens. Played 2 days. First was right after the greens were top dressed, and were slow. Played a week later and the ball rolled like on a table top,
Couldn't ask for a better experience. Planning my next trip.
One tip, Check put the Tournament package. You get rounds of golf on the Bay course, one on the Plantation, and a hour private golf lesson at the learning center.
Best lesson I ever got. Ask for Ben.

Ask, then ask again.

Playing two weeks ahead of the 2020 Sentry Classic was a treat and a nightmare.
They closed the course for almost 11 months just to reseed greens and fairways. Well the effort was not wasted, almost like playing and putting on carpet. The greens were plywood hard, so much so I couldn't find a ball mark anywhere. Even though the greens were extra firm the grainless nature of the new putting surfaces they were surprisingly slow.
The carts were not allowed to leave the cart path. The renovation of the course removed every yardage marking from sprinkler heads. You were forced to play the course blind. The GPS in the cart was not portable so you had to guess on every shot; NOT cool for $359 a round.
The course should have informed this return client that there were no ways of determining yardage and that a rangefinder is mandatory for any chance of posting a score. I won't be back.

Spectacular Course and Views

My family and I traveled to Maui for a vacation and my son and I played this course twice. The staff was great, the GPS carts were new and very accurate. The course was pristine and the greens were flawless.The winds and elevation changes made this a very challenging course. They have 6 or 7 tee boxes, however, so it is definitely playable for higher handicaps who play from the appropriate tee. The price is very high, but as far as once in a lifetime type courses, I would put this one up there with Old Head in Ireland and Whistling Straights in Wisconsin.

Spectacular Course and Views

My family and I traveled to Kapalua on Maui recently and played this course while there. The price is pretty high, but as far as expensive, top of the line courses go, this one is right up there with Old Head in Ireland as my favorite. The conditions were pristine and the greens were flawless. The elevations and wind create quite a challenge on what looks like a wide open course.

Disappointed Revamp

Course was revamped in 2019. Course greens redone with half the break. Several holes have new forward tee boxes shortening the course. These changes weren’t needed and took the challenge out of the course. Not worth $340+

Kapalua is a must play!

My wife and I played Kapalua Plantation recently during our visit to Maui. The course had just undergone a major $25 million renovation and was in perfect condition. The staff made sure that we were well taken care of and even gave us unlimited free snacks since the restaurant was also being renovated and was closed on the day we played. This course is a must-play at least once.

Add To Your Bucket List

My wife and I played as part of the Golf Advisor Getaway and we were both blown away with the beautiful views. The course had just recently reopened from re sodding so it was cart path only and made it a 5 1/2 hour round was the only negative. Lots of elevation changes with high wind made this an extremely challenging course. Greens rolled very true and everything seemed to break hard towards the ocean [ expected ] but even putts that looked obvious to break away from ocean still broke towards the ocean as well. If you haven't played here before it was truly spectacular and should be added to your bucket list if it hasn't already.

Third time a charm

Playing the remastered Plantation course twice in two days helped me better understand how amateurs like me can take on the host of the Sentry Tournament of Champions.
The first round was a soaker for nine holes, but the reward was a vibrant rainbow that lit up the backdrop. The second round brought perfect weather and light winds. This is a course you must play twice to figure out the most difficult holes and 3-4 blind tee shots. The first hole must be played up the left, otherwise it's an impossible approach over a chasm from a sidehill lie. A lot of golfers aren't fans of the 17th. You have to be a strong ball striker to clear the hazard on the second shot. As a short hitter, I was forced to layup right to a thin strip of land that wasn't meant for layups. I think it would have been a better hole as a par 3, something NBC Golf Analyst Mark Rolfing proposed when the course was originally built.
Nevertheless, the scale and views of this grand layout are epic and unforgettable. The redesign by Bill Coore and Ben Crenshaw didn't change much, other than the "calming" of the greens and a few new bunkers. It hopes to bring back the bouncing, firm conditions that will help resort golfers run shots into greens and play mind games with the pros. After watching the tournament all these years, isn't it time to test your game on Hawaii's most famous course?

Beautiful course

Played this course on Tuesday December 3 2019 and although it was cart path only due to the Sentry Championship next month and the restaurant closed for remodeling this was definitely a once in a lifetime experience. Every hole presents a new challenge and one spectacular view after another . The fairways and greens were in great shape would definitely recommend to any one looking for a great time .

Golf Advisor Getaway Maui crown jewel

A course the pro's will be playing in 2 weeks so I don't think I need to go on about how amazing and beautiful this course is, let's go with it's everything it's cracked up to be. Incredible views on every hole on top of being a top caliber course is a bucket list check mark!

Maui Golf Advisor Getaway

Amazing views you can't get anywhere else, a real once in a lifetime must play course. I was there with Golf Advisor getaway and highly recommend playing the Maui courses this way due to the incredible attention to detail the team put together. Thanks to Matt, Hannah and everyone involved in Maui for going to great lengths to make an amazing trip!

Heaven on Earth

I had an opportunity to play the Plantation course just after Thanksgiving. . Yes, it is pricey and cart path only, but you know that from the moment you book the tee time. It is truly a majestic course. From the ethereal ocean views, to the beautifully manicured fairways and greens, to the impeccable service, I throughly enjoyed everything about the Plantation course. It was more an experience than a round of golf, one that I will cherish for quite some time.

Back in Business

Playing the Kapalua Plantation Golf Course is always a treat! Now that they have reopened following a major renovation the experience is better than ever! I know the entire golf world is very excited to see how the PGA players handle it this week! Wishing the team at Kapalua all the best during the exciting event!

Plays Once a year

5 YEAR NEWLYWED ANNIVERSARY 1996

course at Kapalua was a dream come true in 1996 for our 5th wedding Anniversary. We just celebrated our 28th Anniversary in 2019 andThe Plantation have two children. I remember it was a sunny and windy day. We could see the slow moving sets of waves moving against the rows of pineapples. My best shot as a beginner golfer was making my tee shot over a small ravine. It was quite exciting and my husband who was an avid golfer cheered me on ! After all , I was knew I would be a golf widow when we got married so I took lessons to learn how to hit this "small pea into a small hole" of a game.
As we finished our round of golf, we watched the sunset and drove our cart down a steep hill to the warm glowing lights of the clubhouse. We stayed for a great steak dinner. We both felt lucky to have played such a spectacular course such as the Plantation course.

Moonlight and Molokai

The pro said he would put me out early. Never considered Moonlight. A full moon, the straits of Molokai and a pod of whales awaited me. It was a ethereal experience that will never be forgotten. A magical course and a magical experience.

Paradise Found 96

The first time I was at Maui, stayed at The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua Sept 8 to 13 1996. This was a all inclusive trip paid for by UGA. We played The Plantation and Bay Course three times each (I fell in love).
Marty Keiter took very good care of us. This was a Company paid trip which included fishing, so my wife was not with me.
So, now 2019, I am 79 years old, my wife Ina is 74 years old and I want to experience Paradise again with her. She thanks Laha-ina may be her town.

Best In Hawaii

This beauty offers challenging elevation changes and striking views of the azure Pacific! The firm fast greens will challenge the best putter!

Best In Hawaii

This magnificent golf course offers some of the best views and course conditions that can be found. It’s all about the elevation and dramatic changes from tee to green! The firm greens will challenge the best putters skills! Just when you think you’ve seen it all there comes another dramatic view of the azure pacific! Don’t miss this must play beauty!

AWESOME Bucket list worthy

One of my top 5 courses and I've played all over the world.
The views are spectacular, trade winds so much fun, layout imagination is second to none and the architect gives you room to negotiate the tricky wind and incredible hills you will encounter. Hit it long and straight and you can score well...get a little off on either and be ready to simply enjoy an incredible piece of God's creation and stop counting strokes. FANTASTIC!!

3.9219647059