Year Built 1991
Architect Ben Crenshaw (1991) Bill Coore (1991)

Caddies Yes
Golf School Academy Yes - "Kapalua Golf Academy"

Bar, Restaurant

Clubhouse, Spa

Available Activities

Swimming, Billiards

A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 8

Majestic

Plantation course led up to its name. This is Long and demanding course for the average golfer. Bay course is definitely more manageable especially for less skilled golfers. Grouped together with 3 other guys from different parts of the planet. This was fun as we were all on vacation and looking forward to playing this course, many blind shots, was helpful having GPS on carts. We were the last group to finish as the sun was setting, very memorable round of golf. Be careful of weather or wetness: in the morning it was cart path only, by the time we teed off it was 90’ and within an hour that was lifted. I connet imaging using only cart path on a course of this size.

TV does not do this justice

If you are more than a casual golfer, this course must be on your bucket list, it is really worth the time, travel and money to play here. It is a course with more breathtaking views than you can imagine and challenges on the course that can leave you physically and mentally exhausted. Most golfers are familiar with the back nine from the PGA Tour and 17 and 18 are wonderful holes....grip it and rip it and brag to your friends back home how you made par on these long holes.....it's doable. The front nine is a mental challenge with long par 3s and challenging short and long par 4s that really make you think. We played on Super Bowl Sunday when winds were steady at 25 gusting to 35 and had a wonderful time. My wife and I were worn out from the wind but slept well that night.....it kind of reminded us of Tralee but 40 degrees warmer. The greens were a little bare but that was not a factor. The staff was marvelous, especially the starter, and the practice facilities were excellent. Play this course, pick the right tee box and test your skill; you will get a true perspective of how good PGA professionals truly are. As an aside, to the Falcon fans in the 19th hole who rejoiced at having a 21 point lead when we left......I told you so!

Awesome experience

Memories for a lifetime. If you ever get a chance to play this course, do it. Yes, it is expensive, but for most of us it is a once in a lifetime round. I played from the resort tees. I'm a bogey golfer and found it very playable from these tees. Beware the false fronts and have fun on the greens because they will have you shaking your head. It's easy to forget you're golfing because of the views. Take it all in, enjoy it all, and don't worry so much about your score.

Kapalua Plantation Course... dont forget to golf

I have played many courses much closer to the Ocean however I have never had views like the ones you get at the Plantation course at Kapalua. When I mentioned "don't forget to golf" I meant 2 things.
1. If you make it to the Island of Maui please find time to play this despite the price that may detract a few players. Its worth the cash for the view alone, which brings me to ...#2
2. The views can easily take your mind off the task at hand. We all love to play well at good courses but I felt OK with an 80 at Kapalua because I felt I got the opportunity to play and view this 5 Star course. Breaching Whales in the distance brought just as much joy as a birdie.

Staff were very insightful as they disclosed to me to spend a little extra time on the putting green since this course has the highest putting average on tour.

Plantation Restaurant continued to provide amazing views as we quenched our palate.

No fault of Kapalua but they had taken amazing amounts of rain in early December and it still seemed somewhat wet just a weak before the SBS TOC.
$300 price tag and I still would play again. This time I will not forget to golf.

Birmingham Advisor

Confounding round

Despite the course's relative short length, this is one of the toughest courses I've ever played. This is largely due to the wind and slope. I was out of position many times and here that mistake usually costs two strokes instead of one. The course sits on the side of a mountain on an old pineapple plantation, so you are going to get some quirky bounces, egregious rollouts and weird stances. The greens are super quick and a month the grainiest I've ever encountered. Chipping downgrain will cause you to have nightmares. The greens are very difficult to hole putts. Aside from the heavy grain, you must always be aware of where you are in relation to the western-most tip of the island of Molokai. This is significant because all putts on the course will wander toward it. It is uncanny. Even putts that look like they can't possibly break uphill toward that point inevitably will. I cannot imagine how baffling putting here would be without knowing that tip. Your ability to club properly because of the elevation changes and slopes will be at a premium. Driving range is a bit cramped. After the round, don't miss having a beverage in the bar overlooking the 18th fairway. It is one of the great 19th-hole views in the world.

Bucket List Course

The Plantation Course was everything i expected and more!! It is visually stunning when you watch it every year on TV but playing the course is another story. Every hole has a different challenge and you are surrounded by pure Hawaiian beauty. This should be a course on every golfers bucket list. This is in the top 5 of my favorite courses ever played and i will be back for sure!

I've had the good fortune of being able to play Plantation at least 20 times, so I have the advantage of some local knowledge. Certainly everyone wants to play here because it's a stop on the PGA tour, but in my experience some people shouldn't play here. Their skills don't match the difficulties of the course in most cases. Plantation is the type of course that has a different personality on every hole and even that personality can change based on what the trade winds are doing that day. It's a course when you really need to put the ball in the right spot, on the fairways and especially the greens. On some holes, you are aiming away from the flag in order to have a successful approach shot. For people not experienced with Plantation, that can be very frustrating. Also, put your ego aside and be prepared to take a 4 iron for a 150 yard shot. The winds can be that strong. The scenery is beautiful no doubt and part of the fun here is the challenge but if you're looking for a stress free round here, this is not the place as it can expose weaknesses in your game pretty quickly if your swing is loose.

This is a course every golfer must play

This is my all time favorite. The views are spectacular. Every hole is memorable. Long downhill, downwind holes and short uphill, into the wind holes so the course is playable for decent golfers. I am about a 9 hc and a kinda short hitter but the gold tees at 6600 yards didn't seem that long because of the downhill roll you get. Got a discount on an internet site which made it even better but even for full price this course is worth it. I had played it a couple years ago in the rain but this time the weather was perfect. With the Prince course closed on Kauai there is no public course in Hawaii that comes close to this one.

Bucket list course

It was breathtaking. I've played golf a lot of places, but this was the most beautiful. Absolutely stunning. The course is difficult, but manageable. My friends would say this is "not a woman friendly course" and that is probably true, but I'm not a typical woman golfer! I loved it. We played 4 rounds in 3 days, and I love, love, love this course!

Texas Advisor

worth every penny!

not sure what there is to say about this course! it's a classic. if you've watched the PGA Tournament of Champions on TV then surely you already know this a course everyone should get to play.

it's a tough course by any measure. it's long, hilly, and the greens are pretty small. the weather is also a wild card. the day i played little rain storms rolled through every 10-15 minutes for the first 12 holes. the wind was pretty constant all day. it was impossible to get comfortable with the ever changing conditions. between the weather and constantly uneven lies your body and brain are working overtime.

the course is laid out to make the most challenge out of the prevailing winds... short par 4s tend to be directly into the wind and/or uphill, and long par 4s tend to be downwind. so you never really catch a break and get an easy hole.

as you'd expect, the views are pretty glorious. certainly one of the magnificent settings possible for a golf course.

if you are in the area, and can swing the pretty lofty price tag, it is well worth it.

Commented on 01/07/2016

The greens average 8,000 sq feet, not exactly small.

A great challenge

This is a great course. It's very challenging but it's not silly. The views are spectacular and there are a lot of obstacles. If your not an experienced player this might not be your favorite because their are a lot of carries. The course is in great shape and there is a lot of history because of the Hyundai Tournament Of Champions.

Great Test

This course was all that i imagined it would be, very tough, but enjoyable to play. the greens were very difficult to read, and extremely large. not uncommon to have a putt over 100 ft. so, needless to say, i 3 putted a few more times than i like to admit! it ranks as my favorite course i've ever played. i played TPC Sawgrass recently, and truly enjoyed playing there also, and i did score better there, but nothing compares to the scenic views you are surrounded by at the Plantation Course! Yes, its expensive, but i t was on my bucket list of 1 of the golf courses I wanted to play, and was well worth the green fees. Very friendly atmosphere, and everyone is treated very special.

Hyundai Challenge

If you are in the islands skip all the other courses cause this is the only one to play. I wont complain about the facility, price ($300) with rider, cheesy Titleist clubs as rental... How often will this chance come up. Don't try to walk it. Many blind tee shots. Play the right tee's, don't let your ego get in the way and: ENJOY golf in PARADISE!

Most dramatic course on Maui

I go back and forth between what my favorite round of golf is on Maui. On one hand, Wailea Gold and Emerald are both picture perfect, laid-back resort experiences with consistently calm and sunny weather. Then there's the Plantation Course, located high above the ocean on the jungly north shore. The long views of Lanai to go with interesting green complexes make it a thrilling round on every hole. It's not walkable, which is a rarity with Coore-Crenshaw designs, but the severe terrain requires some long drives between holes and some steep hills.

But the trade off is great hole variety, a lot of eye candy, and there are few tee shots in golf that are more fun than the 18th hole (and the downhill 17th is also a hoot).

This is where the PGA Tour has been playing their Champions tournament for years now, which helps add to the bucket list allure.

Top notch course

It is a beautiful course on a mountain ridge and valley overlooking water and other Hawaiian islands.

Spectacular views and a one of a kind experience

This golf course is phenomenal. Starting from the clubhouse for breakfast all the way through to the spectacular 18th, this was a round I'll remember for the rest of my life. I highly recommend this to all.

A Maui Must

If you are on the island of Maui, and are a golfer, you must play The Plantation Course at Kapalua. It is such a fun course! You will hit the furthest drives of your career. You are also likely to 4-putt a green or two. The breaks in the greens are mind boggling. Do not miss the green above the hole. I hit a chip shot that is still rolling. The scenic views will even please your wife. I think they charge a rider fee though.

Golf Channel

One of a Kind in Paradise

Perhaps absent Augusta National and Pebble Beach, I think more American golfers are familiar with this course than any others that they've never played. Typically, we see Kapalua on TV while most of the country in mired in the depths of winter and it always provides such a majestic escape. I've been fortunate enough to cover the Hyundai Tournament for the last 7 years I think, and I try to take advantage of being able to play there when our schedule allows.

It's no secret that Tiger and Phil annually skip the first event of the year. Both have cited a dislike for the course and the windy conditions, but almost to a man, the PGA Tour players who do show up for the event have nothing but praise for the course. And they have to walk, which is nearly impossible (they do get shuttled 4 times before the 10th tee and 2 of those are during the play of the 4th and 8th holes).

The course is, in a word, extreme. I interviewed Geoff Ogilvie about it once on air and he called it an amazing design that only Crenshaw/Coore could pull off. It's built on the side of a mountain for goodness sakes. It has some of the shortest-playing monster holes in the world, and conversely, has some of the longest-playing short holes I've ever seen. On one hole you could hit a 7-iron 240 yards, and then hit the same club to another hole maybe 110 yards in the prevalent tradewinds.

The fairways are huge and the greens are absolutely massive for the most part, and you'll enjoy every inch of it, but the views from a majority of the holes are second to none. The course is in Hawaii which means it has 365 days of perfect growing conditions which translates into the course being in perfect condition every day of the year.

Because of the extreme terrain, the course always makes you feel somewhat off balance. And other than the tee boxes, you'll never have a level lie.

If you're a fan of golf, you'll feel like you've been there before and likely remember every hole on the back nine. I've played many courses in Hawaii, and this is the first I would recommend to anyone who truly loves the game.

Two bits of advice:

First, don't worry about how you hit it on the range. It really is the craziest driving range in history. You hit up a pretty severe hill that's set in a valley. While it's physically to put two different spins on a single shot, the range will make you feel like you've suddenly mastered the low-high-hook-fade. And it's kind of a good thing because you never ever hit one single standard driving range type shot on the course. Kapalua exercises your imagination like no other course I've ever played, and in doing so it just may transport you back to your youth when you used to mess around just trying different and creative shots just for fun.

Waiehu, Hawaii