Caledonia Golf & Fish Club

Caledonia Golf and Fish Club may well be the preeminent golf course along the Grand Strand. Located on Pawleys Island on the site of a colonial rice plantation, it opened in 1994 to rave reviews from all the major golf publications. It has all the historical credentials for plantation golf: A Scottish immigrant named Robert Nesbit bought the land in 1797 and named it Caledonia, the Roman name for Scotland. Built upon the site of an authentic colonial rice plantation, Caledonia Golf & Fish Club has captured world-wide recognition for its breathtaking aesthetic beauty as well as its exceptional design. Careful to preserve the natural surrounding, including hundreds of centuries old live oaks, architect Mike Strantz has risen to the top of the most wanted designer list with this, his first solo design.
Scorecard for Caledonia Golf & Fish Club
Black M: 71.8/138 376 571 187 396 419 157 399 528 118 3151 553 167 405 398 415 462 417 175 383 3375 6526
Blue M: 69.5/134 350 553 175 357 387 135 346 512 110 2925 531 153 395 380 363 441 400 156 377 3196 6121
White M: 67.6/127 W: 73.2/131 319 516 153 322 347 120 323 477 92 2669 518 150 384 354 343 423 375 132 362 3041 5710
Red M: 64.5/120 W: 68.7/124 254 479 126 259 328 107 283 429 80 2345 442 135 321 291 290 404 307 121 301 2612 4957

Year Built 1994
Architect Mike Strantz (1994) Tyler Rae

Golf School Academy Yes - "Dresser Golf Academy"

• Golf Advisor: Ginella's Top 50 U.S. Courses You Can Play (2016 #16) (2015 #14)
  • Golf Advisor: Top Courses in South Carolina (2017 #10)

A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 9

Simply one of the best you can play in/around Myrtle Beach

Nearing the quarter-century mark, Caledonia remains one of the bucket-list picks for any Myrtle Beach-bound golfer. Its exquisite Lowcountry charm, coupled with its precious and fascinating Mike Strantz design makes it a memorable, fun course to play.

Caledonia is one of the shorter golf courses in the region, but it defends itself gamely with a terrific set of undulating greens and some impressively deep, sculpted bunkering. If you treat the course like a chessboard, rather than a bombing range, you will likely score to your handicap or better, as scoring chances do present themselves throughout the round. Even if things don't go according to plan, it's exceedingly difficult to get too upset in such a beautiful setting.

Just Wonderful

What a beautiful course. Played as a single on a weekday late afternoon off-season and had a chance to really enjoy the course. From the tree lined drive to the 18th green, this place is a top notch golf experience. The layout is wonderful and the course architect did a great job of retaining some of the beautiful old trees throughout the course. The course itself is challenging yet not overwhelming and is very well maintained. It may cost more than the other area courses, but it is worth it. I fell into a late day $69 rate and it was worth every penny.

One of the best

I live in Charleston SC so Myrtle Beach is about an hour away. Fortunately we have a huge number of excellent courses that are good for a day trip; Myrtle Beach, Charleston, Kiawah, Hilton Head, etc.. Caledonia is near the top of the list. The course is absolutely gorgeous. I have played this course four times now and look forward to it every time. Everything about the experience is first class.

13 Holes due to Rain but still worth it

So we only got through 13 holes before thunderstorms ended our day but the 13 holes were just perfect. I try to play here at least once a year specifically in the summer when rates are at their lowest. The course does not play long but like many Strantz courses it pays to know the course and to play smart. The greens were absolutely pure all you had to do was roll it on the right line and it would be in. Aside from course conditions I comeback here for the beauty of the grounds and the friendly staff. Driving down the entrance road every time is a cool sight every time.

Great Expereince

The entire experience was amazing. It all starts once you enter the gate. A long driveway with overhanging trees sets the tone for the club. The staff was very friendly and informative. Course was in great shape from tee to green. Due to prior tournament play, the greens were rolling at a 8 or 9 (Wish we would have caught them at 11 or 12). Course layout is done very well. It is important to hit GIR. The elevated greens and greenside bunkers will make it very difficult to get up and down. After the round we ate lunch in the dining hall. The menu provides an excellent variety. Based on the groups feedback the food was very good. We definitely will be returning. Side note: This was part of a weekend package. We played Tidewater, Fazio, and Caledonia. I would rank these three courses: (1) Caledonia (2) Tidewater (3) Fazio.

Gorgeous course

One of our favorites of the trip! This is stunning layout. The only downside is no driving range (which we knew about). The staff and facilities were great. Definitely recommend this course!

Must Play In Myrtle Beach

The ambiance of this place is incredible. Southern oaks with the Spanish moss, the flowers, landscaping, etc. It's like playing golf at a botanical garden.

Course was in outstanding shape. We love going to this place every year.

Perfect!

Fantastic. My favorite course anywhere. Well Done!

Best course in MB - Hands Down Must Play!

We played 6 courses in MB this trip. Every course indicated that the winter hit them and that greens were beat up because of the freeze. I'm not sure what was different with Caledonia, but the course conditions were absolutely perfect. The greens felt like they were never played on and rolled perfectly true. This is a short but great test of golf. If you go to MB for golf, you'll do yourself a great disservice if you don't play this course. Worth every penny! The only drawback is lack of on site driving range (at sister course True Blue).

Having played this course last year in wet conditions I was really looking forward to my return this year. We showed up Tuesday to spectacular golf conditions and a course in awesome condition. The first 9 holes 10-18 were a treat. However, the next 9 not so much. Yes the course was still in great shape and beautiful but we waited on every hole on this side. As last year. There was a promotion on the second hole par 3. Three foursomes on the hole. It slowed play down to a crawl and made the rest of the round unenjoyable. As pretty as this course is. I will never go back. For the amount of money you pay to play, you should not have to play in those conditions.

Beautiful course, overpriced

The course is beautiful but definitely not worth the rate. I don’t go to Pawley’s often to play and this has solidified me never going again. I was not impressed with the course overall. For the rate, I was expecting something special. It’s just average. I think the fact that there is no driving range really ruined it for me.

dissapointing

Course had no GPS, few yardage markers and no hole maps on tee markers. The rough was high! Then they want you to play quickly? Course was in good condition and had some good holes. It was obvious they were protecting par by growing the rough because the course is short. Not worth the money unless you want to play a short course. Driving it 280 doesn't help much here because if you're off the fairway, the ball sinks to the bottom of their too high rough. Now your searching for the ball that you can'r find until you step on it. Next you need to find a yardage marker which is tough because many of the sprinkler heads are unmarked and the carts don't have GPS! For this kind of money, I'm sure they can upgrade the carts.

Superb Golf Course

I own a place in the Pawley's Island, SC area and have always wanted to play at Caledonia, but none of my playing partners wanted to pay the rate. A buddy from Texas flew in for a few days so I treated him to the round.

The playing conditions were sketchy because of rain. It had rained 4 inches in the past 24 hours, it rained another 1-1 1/2 inches while we played the round. We had to wait 20 minutes once for rain to stop and then drain from the green. Plus, we were cart path only (which I usually avoid like the plague), making the playing conditions tougher.

Still, Caledonia held true to its reputation as a top golf course. My 2-star rating of the course conditions is because of the rain, that day. On a dry day, the course conditions are definitely 5-star.

We played the round, I scored a 79, which is way good considering my handicap there is 14 or 15.

HIGHLY RECOMMEND and I will definitely return.

Must play course

If you are in the area this is a must play course. The premium cost is justified by the entire experience. Being greeted in a very professional way at the bag drop and the extremely professional manor of every employee we had contact with right through to the cold towels at the end of play.

The course conditions were excellent and pace of play was right at 4 hrs, Greens are quick and have subtle breaks that take a little getting used to. The fairways tee and tee boxes are smooth and very well maintained.

Make sure you play the right tee box , do not let your ego get in the way or it could ruin your day. On the advice of the starter, based on my handicap, I played the Mallard tees and the advice was right on. The carry distances were spot on for the par 4 and par 5 holes and the par 3 holes were of comfortable but challenging lengths .

Definite risk reward situations if you like to push your self or talk trash with your buddies.

It is also one of the most scenic courses I have played in a while.

High expectations .. almost lived up to it

When you pay the walk up rate of $149 your expectations tend to be high. on arrival from the airport to the course I found out that the range is at the true blue course for which you have to get back in the car and drive over too. They do offer a short game area however you have to bring your own balls and guys are hitting in every direction possible . We had the first afternoon tee time after a morning tournament and were warned by the staff that they were running behind . They put us off on 10 hoping The pace would be faster . The front nine plays much easier than the back ,course conditions were excellent, there is no GPS on the carts, they do offer a free app as a yardage book . You need to be careful where you place your Tee ball because sometimes you are blocked by overhanging trees to the green. I did enjoy the Caledonia salad afterwards and was able to shower in the locker room. I would play again however I will wait for a discounted rate

Top Notch

This place never disappoints. Must play when at Myrtle Beach

Wow!

That's what your gonna say right from the beginning entrance drive down the tunnel of oaks and Spanish moss. We caught a break on the price cause they were running a special in conjunction with Folds of Honor where you donated $10 on top of the greens fees. Cost $69!! Somebody call a cop! Anyway, As you would expect with such a pricey course( prime rounds are around $150) it was in magnificent condition from tee to green. It's annually voted by popular Golf magazines as one of the top 100 you can play and they ain't joking. Great layout with 3 tees to chose from. Not overly long but accuracy is a key if you want to score here. Greens were impeccable. the only gripe i could come up with is the lack of yardage markers. I'd suggest bringing your range finder. If money is not an object get down here and play this course or you can wait til the off season and get it slightly cheaper. It does not disappoint,

7 days of playing in MB and what a way to finish the trip!

We drew weather that was as special as this course...80 and low humidity! My buddy, John started out the round by getting a new bag at Caledonia while my wife and I sported new bonnets!!( See photo). We warmed up on True Blue's range which is a sister course to Caledonia and just a mile down the road. The range staff there even warned us that the True Blue putting green was a bit slower than Caledonia's greens so beware-now that's special treatment! We started on # 1 at 12:40 with very little traffic.....#1 runs down the side of the beautiful entry road while #10 runs on the other side of the road-just beautiful! The ladies loved the flowering and landscaping while I also loved the bunkering and how they were placed. I played the Pintail Tees(back)and it was awesome to view from the tee. There seemed to be plenty of room fairway-wise so that was great to see. The greens were about an 11 and were pure. My wife loved and was glad she decided to play it. It gives her, her 1st top 50 course in US for either men or women!

Nothing else to be said-play it if given the opportunity...spend the $$$ and "cash in" on the memories!! Special disclaimer-my buddy, John, paid for my green fee as well as my wife's!!!

To golfers in Myrtle Beach and those who travel from many miles away, Caledonia Golf and Fish Club is Myrtle Beach golf. Since opening to the public in January 1994, Caledonia has rapidly gained and maintained a reputation as one of the premier resort courses in America.

A quick look at the scorecard tells you that at 6,526 yards from the back tees, Caledonia is not likely to overwhelm the long hitter. But consider that it’s a par 70 course and the rating/slope from the tips is 71.8/138, and you quickly learn this course is no pushover. In fact, the White Tees at 5,710 yards (67.6/127) will show most golfers a challenge and a good time.

Ask any newcomer to the course which hole was their favorite, and the majority will choose Number 18. It’s a 377-yard par 4 that requires something less than driver off the tee. The goal here is to avoid the water and leave yourself a second shot, over water into an oddly angled green that has two tiers. The top tier tends to funnel back towards the water. Bunkers surround the green and to top things off, you may have a gallery watching your approach and putt from the balcony directly behind the green. It’s fun and intimidating at the same time!

I asked several members and Assistant Professional Mike Foley the same question and, interesting enough, all agreed that the risk/reward par 5, Number 8 was their favorite. At 512 yards from the Blue Tees, a well-struck drive off the tee over the left fairway bunker on the right leaves you with a decision. The rest of the hole plays downhill and a good drive will leave around 225 yards to the green. Again, it’s downhill, which makes it play shorter, however there is a pond in front of the green that you must carry. Something else to consider is pin location. If it’s front, it is slightly above water level. If it’s a back pin, the upper level of the green sits about four feet higher. It’s the ultimate risk/reward hole on the course.

My favorite was Number 10, a 531-yard par 5 that I almost reached in two. Fairway bunkers on either side create a narrow landing area for your drive and the waste bunker dotted with grass islands that make up the right side of the fairway is an imposing obstacle to overcome on your layup. The double-tiered green demands a good long look if you want to score well here – unfortunately I did not!

Even the short par 3, 9th hole (110 yards/Blue Tees) requires a certain amount of distance control and accuracy. Although it’s short, it’s all carry over sand, and with the green being very shallow, the two back bunkers see a lot of play. Number 7 is a short but interesting hole. It plays 346 yards from the Blue Tees and, with a right-side pin placement, 9 out of 10 players will have to play their approach shot over or under a massive moss-draped oak tree. Find the fairway bunker on the left off the tee and big numbers await.

These are just some of the holes I have fond memories of, however I’m sure every hole out here has special meaning to somebody. After all, Caledonia realistically has 18 signature holes. No houses infringe on your play; it’s just you, nature and that darned little white ball.

After your round, do what many locals and other golfers do: visit the restaurant in the Old South-style clubhouse. They have a tremendous menu and, of course, your favorite post-golf libations. Now it’s your turn to sit in a porch rocker and offer encouragement on fellow golfers’ approach to the 18th green.

No round at Caledonia is complete without a souvenir of the day’s events and the pro shop can hook you up with a hat, shirt or towel from your favorite designer, complete with the Caledonia logo.

Caledonia’s mission is to provide each and every golfer with a unique experience that will let them reflect back on their day with fond memories of their Lowcountry experience.

Georgetown, South Carolina