Caledonia Golf and Fish Club may well be the preeminent golf course along the Grand Strand. Located on Pawleys Island on the site of a colonial rice plantation, it opened in 1994 to rave reviews from all the major golf publications.

It has all the historical credentials for plantation golf: A Scottish immigrant named Robert Nesbit bought the land in 1797 and named it Caledonia, the Roman name for Scotland. Built upon the site of an authentic colonial rice plantation, Caledonia Golf & Fish Club has captured world-wide recognition for its breathtaking aesthetic beauty as well as its exceptional design. Careful to preserve the natural surrounding, including hundreds of centuries old live oaks, architect Mike Strantz has risen to the top of the most wanted designer list with this, his first solo design.

Scorecard for Caledonia Golf & Fish Club
Black M: 71.8/138 376 571 187 396 419 157 399 528 118 3151 553 167 405 398 415 462 417 175 383 3375 6526
Blue M: 69.5/134 350 553 175 357 387 135 346 512 110 2925 531 153 395 380 363 441 400 156 377 3196 6121
White M: 67.6/127 W: 73.2/131 319 516 153 322 347 120 323 477 92 2669 518 150 384 354 343 423 375 132 362 3041 5710
Red M: 64.5/120 W: 68.7/124 254 479 126 259 328 107 283 429 80 2345 442 135 321 291 290 404 307 121 301 2612 4957

Year Built 1994
Architect Mike Strantz (1994) Tyler Rae

Golf School Academy Yes - "Dresser Golf Academy"

• Golf Advisor: Best of Golf Advisor (2018 #33)
  • Golf Advisor: Top 25 Course Conditions in the U.S. (2018 #12)
  • Golf Advisor: Top Courses in South Carolina (2018 #2) (2017 #10)
  • Golf Advisor: Ginella's Top 50 U.S. Courses You Can Play (2016 #16) (2015 #14)

A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 9

Top 100

Just played Caledonia this past April 2019. First impressions were how pretty this place is. Course was packed but rarely was held up. Big negative was there was no range which drives me nuts. Again you pay 200 dollars and you can’t even properly warm up. The short game area was very very nice. The course conditions were just ok. To reiterate I have no problem paying big money to play golf. 200 is a drop in the bucket but for that price I would think the grounds would be in better shape. 25% of the greens were bad, some of the greens were covered in leaves and branches. You ever hear of a leaf blower? Would I play again? Probably but hope the conditions improve.

Terrible. Gone way downhill.

Avoid this place. The course is in terrible shape and the customer service is horrible. Marc is the pro who called us lairs when we called about a golf cart that wouldn’t run. He made us push the cart for 5 holes until he sent someone to replace it. When we asked after more phone calls why he hadn’t sent a new cart he said he never received an earlier call. We have a record of all the calls on our phone. This place has gone way downhill. They should be ashamed.

u000001054425
Commented On 05/23/2019

Our foursome played there on 5/20/19, despite this review. We are so glad we did. It was clearly the best of the 5 courses we played (Caledonia, Kings North, TPC, Wild Wing, Prestwick). We have played this course several times over the last 5 years. We were well aware of the course condition issues they had in the early Spring. The staff confirmed the problem on the phone before our visit. We saw almost no sign of any issues during our round. Love the layout also. We asked Marc specifically about the golf cart incident mentioned above. It seems the complaint call may have been fielded by staff at the sister course, True Blue.

Extremely Disappointed!

I had been excited to play this course for a while as I have lived in Myrtle Beach for the past four years. People rave about the conditions and layout. So I had a friend visiting from out of town this weekend and we played on Sunday. It was the most disappointed I have ever been with a golf course. Especially for the money that they charge. I received the local passport rate of $80, but I believe their standard rate was $150 or so. Good news was that we played fast as there was no one on the course (I guess others knew about the poor conditions, but unfortunately I drove 45 mins to get there and was unaware) We should have asked for our money back after the first hole. They started us out on 10. The green was borderline unplayable. In fact, the greens were the worst that I have played in the myrtle beach area. Bare spots, not cut and rolled. The fairways were shaggy and patchy (poorly patched with dormant bermuda in several areas as well) and many areas on the fairway had little grass. The bunkers were not maintained and the rough had spots in it that were right off of the fairway that were bare. I am an avid golfer and was really excited for this course. I left extremely disappointed and apologetic to my friend who just wasted his money on a track that was no better maintained than a city course. Not sure how this has received best course in the area for years? It is a hike to get down there, layout was OK but the maintenance was beyond poor and that tainted the experience from the start. If you are planning a trip to Myrtle in the next month or so - many better options. In fact we played World Tour on Saturday and it was in perfect condition. I have played several courses over the past month or two in the area and they were all in better shape than this. Save your money. Feel like we were taken advantage of for what we paid with the condition that this course was in.

Played Caledonia in mid January. Course was in excellent condition for mid Winter. Greens rolled true. Layout is very challenging and fun to play. Staff was very courteous. Great experience.

Great Place

With the entrance with all the spanish moss you drive in knowing its about to be a great golf experience everything is in top notch conditions and the design is so good with True Blue as their sister property next door it might be one of the best 36 public design wise. Staff was excellent at every turn and cant wait to go back

Simply one of the best you can play in/around Myrtle Beach

Nearing the quarter-century mark, Caledonia remains one of the bucket-list picks for any Myrtle Beach-bound golfer. Its exquisite Lowcountry charm, coupled with its precious and fascinating Mike Strantz design makes it a memorable, fun course to play.

Caledonia is one of the shorter golf courses in the region, but it defends itself gamely with a terrific set of undulating greens and some impressively deep, sculpted bunkering. If you treat the course like a chessboard, rather than a bombing range, you will likely score to your handicap or better, as scoring chances do present themselves throughout the round. Even if things don't go according to plan, it's exceedingly difficult to get too upset in such a beautiful setting.

Just Wonderful

What a beautiful course. Played as a single on a weekday late afternoon off-season and had a chance to really enjoy the course. From the tree lined drive to the 18th green, this place is a top notch golf experience. The layout is wonderful and the course architect did a great job of retaining some of the beautiful old trees throughout the course. The course itself is challenging yet not overwhelming and is very well maintained. It may cost more than the other area courses, but it is worth it. I fell into a late day $69 rate and it was worth every penny.

One of the best

I live in Charleston SC so Myrtle Beach is about an hour away. Fortunately we have a huge number of excellent courses that are good for a day trip; Myrtle Beach, Charleston, Kiawah, Hilton Head, etc.. Caledonia is near the top of the list. The course is absolutely gorgeous. I have played this course four times now and look forward to it every time. Everything about the experience is first class.

13 Holes due to Rain but still worth it

So we only got through 13 holes before thunderstorms ended our day but the 13 holes were just perfect. I try to play here at least once a year specifically in the summer when rates are at their lowest. The course does not play long but like many Strantz courses it pays to know the course and to play smart. The greens were absolutely pure all you had to do was roll it on the right line and it would be in. Aside from course conditions I comeback here for the beauty of the grounds and the friendly staff. Driving down the entrance road every time is a cool sight every time.

Great Expereince

The entire experience was amazing. It all starts once you enter the gate. A long driveway with overhanging trees sets the tone for the club. The staff was very friendly and informative. Course was in great shape from tee to green. Due to prior tournament play, the greens were rolling at a 8 or 9 (Wish we would have caught them at 11 or 12). Course layout is done very well. It is important to hit GIR. The elevated greens and greenside bunkers will make it very difficult to get up and down. After the round we ate lunch in the dining hall. The menu provides an excellent variety. Based on the groups feedback the food was very good. We definitely will be returning. Side note: This was part of a weekend package. We played Tidewater, Fazio, and Caledonia. I would rank these three courses: (1) Caledonia (2) Tidewater (3) Fazio.

Gorgeous course

One of our favorites of the trip! This is stunning layout. The only downside is no driving range (which we knew about). The staff and facilities were great. Definitely recommend this course!

Must Play In Myrtle Beach

The ambiance of this place is incredible. Southern oaks with the Spanish moss, the flowers, landscaping, etc. It's like playing golf at a botanical garden.

Course was in outstanding shape. We love going to this place every year.

Perfect!

Fantastic. My favorite course anywhere. Well Done!

Best course in MB - Hands Down Must Play!

We played 6 courses in MB this trip. Every course indicated that the winter hit them and that greens were beat up because of the freeze. I'm not sure what was different with Caledonia, but the course conditions were absolutely perfect. The greens felt like they were never played on and rolled perfectly true. This is a short but great test of golf. If you go to MB for golf, you'll do yourself a great disservice if you don't play this course. Worth every penny! The only drawback is lack of on site driving range (at sister course True Blue).

Having played this course last year in wet conditions I was really looking forward to my return this year. We showed up Tuesday to spectacular golf conditions and a course in awesome condition. The first 9 holes 10-18 were a treat. However, the next 9 not so much. Yes the course was still in great shape and beautiful but we waited on every hole on this side. As last year. There was a promotion on the second hole par 3. Three foursomes on the hole. It slowed play down to a crawl and made the rest of the round unenjoyable. As pretty as this course is. I will never go back. For the amount of money you pay to play, you should not have to play in those conditions.

Beautiful course, overpriced

The course is beautiful but definitely not worth the rate. I don’t go to Pawley’s often to play and this has solidified me never going again. I was not impressed with the course overall. For the rate, I was expecting something special. It’s just average. I think the fact that there is no driving range really ruined it for me.

dissapointing

Course had no GPS, few yardage markers and no hole maps on tee markers. The rough was high! Then they want you to play quickly? Course was in good condition and had some good holes. It was obvious they were protecting par by growing the rough because the course is short. Not worth the money unless you want to play a short course. Driving it 280 doesn't help much here because if you're off the fairway, the ball sinks to the bottom of their too high rough. Now your searching for the ball that you can'r find until you step on it. Next you need to find a yardage marker which is tough because many of the sprinkler heads are unmarked and the carts don't have GPS! For this kind of money, I'm sure they can upgrade the carts.

Superb Golf Course

I own a place in the Pawley's Island, SC area and have always wanted to play at Caledonia, but none of my playing partners wanted to pay the rate. A buddy from Texas flew in for a few days so I treated him to the round.
The playing conditions were sketchy because of rain. It had rained 4 inches in the past 24 hours, it rained another 1-1 1/2 inches while we played the round. We had to wait 20 minutes once for rain to stop and then drain from the green. Plus, we were cart path only (which I usually avoid like the plague), making the playing conditions tougher.
Still, Caledonia held true to its reputation as a top golf course. My 2-star rating of the course conditions is because of the rain, that day. On a dry day, the course conditions are definitely 5-star.
We played the round, I scored a 79, which is way good considering my handicap there is 14 or 15.
HIGHLY RECOMMEND and I will definitely return.

Georgetown, South Carolina
Georgetown, South Carolina
Murrells Inlet, South Carolina

Valid dates: May 23, 2019 - Jun 30, 2019
2 Nights lodging at the Best Western Plus of Santee (or comparable lodging partner) and play 3 Rounds of golf on Santee Cooper Resort’s two courses.
Stay and Play
Stay & Play in Golf’s Little Big Town!
Stay and Play
Summer Golf Getaway in Santee!
Stay and Play
Come play in the Olde English District!
Summer Special in Greenville, SC