Caledonia Golf and Fish Club may well be the preeminent golf course along the Grand Strand. Located on Pawleys Island on the site of a colonial rice plantation, it opened in 1994 to rave reviews from all the major golf publications.

It has all the historical credentials for plantation golf: A Scottish immigrant named Robert Nesbit bought the land in 1797 and named it Caledonia, the Roman name for Scotland. Built upon the site of an authentic colonial rice plantation, Caledonia Golf & Fish Club has captured world-wide recognition for its breathtaking aesthetic beauty as well as its exceptional design. Careful to preserve the natural surrounding, including hundreds of centuries old live oaks, architect Mike Strantz has risen to the top of the most wanted designer list with this, his first solo design.

Year Built 1994
Architect Mike Strantz (1994) Tyler Rae

Golf School Academy Yes - "Dresser Golf Academy"

Snacks, Restaurant

Banquet Facilities

Available Activities

Fishing

A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 11

Eternally charming

I've been lucky that Caledonia Golf & Fish Club has been one of my golf "happy places" for 20-plus years, as my family has spent a lot of time in Pawleys Island in that interval and I've played it a dozen or more times over the years. I still get as excited to play it now as I did when I was a golf-geek kid. Between the strong Lowcountry setting and the artistic, fun course design by Mike Strantz, it endures as a golf place - more than just a course - with huge appeal.

My most recent round, on July 4th, didn't disappoint. The course was in its typical good shape (I did notice a little bit of green shrinkage in recent years, though), the staff were friendly and the staff were great about keeping the experience safe amid the pandemic (including lunch on the porch overlooking the 18th green). Myrtle Beach's golf scene has been hit hard this year, but Caledonia continues to be successful because great golf courses seem to be a little bit crisis-proof.

Overpriced Overhyped

Second time playing this course and again not impressed had a discount rate and friend wanted to play ...I can’t imagine the outrage I would have had paying the 150 bucks people pay to play average course ..Sand traps were awful and greens were good ...This is a fifty dollar course and that’s it ...Pace of play was ridiculous the GPS said we were 40 minutes behind pace because of the group in front of us never saw a ranger ..Don’t waste your money better cheaper options out there

Finally

We chose Caledonia to be the course for South Carolina in our quest to play golf in all 50 states. We knew this was going to be a challenge and it was of course. All the reviews are spot on. The staff was great and the course was long as was told by the starter.
Just by luck, we didn't have to pair up with anybody, so, it was a leisurely morning and the Mrs was happy. The Mrs.had a great day for her and I stuggled.

Virginia Advisor

It’s Like Playing Golf In The Secret Garden

Caledonia Golf and Fish Club is a world-class golf destination that offers an unparalleled experience. While its greens fees may scare many away, those willing to bear the cost are rewarded with an intimate, near-magical encounter with the sights, sounds, and feels of the very best Pawleys Island and designer Mike Strantz have to offer.

There are few public golf courses that present a more private club-like greeting as the entrance to Caledonia. The narrow driveway leading in, enveloped by a tunnel of live oak trees, sets the scene from the start that this is no ordinary club. The 18-hole course is set on a property smaller than just about any I’ve played, yet the luxurious feeling of isolation can be felt on nearly every hole.

And that’s a good thing because the beauty, shape, and feel of the course is enchanting and you’ll want to savor every moment as you play each hole. The abundance of flowering plants, finely shaped shrubs, epic-looking trees, and playful wildlife provide a garden-like feel to the property. Except for the resident alligator; he’s slightly less playful.

The course itself rises to match its high-class setting. This is the first solo layout by renowned designer Mike Strantz’ and it is beautifully executed. Each hole has a particular look and feel yet they all carry his distinctive lines and shapes, if more subtly than his most famous work at Tobacco Road. For a parkland-style course, there is a surprising level of creativity and strategy to be applied for each hole, with plenty of risk/reward options. Multiple backstopping green slopes allow the more playful golfer to use indirect ways of sneaking their ball close to the hole.

The course is a fair but firm challenge as well. The myriad of fantastically-shaped and dangerously-positioned sand traps will make weaker bunker players pale with anxiety. There are a few narrow fairways that require straight tee shots and some small greens with little room for ball-striking error. Yet even on holes where I didn’t care to count up all my many strokes, I never felt the need to blame the course (side note: I highly recommend utilizing the practice bunker before your round, just saying).

This is a course that even while playing, I knew would require multiple plays to fully appreciate its design. There were a number of holes I liked very much but I doubt I could pick out favorites until at least another go around.

The conditions of the course are exactly what you’d hope for from a course charging well into triple figures; smooth, even fairways, buttery greens (albeit still recovering from aeration a few weeks ago) and well-maintained bunkers, tees, and rough. Despite a solid soaking a couple days before, the course was dry with no noticeable soft spots.

The staff here is great as well, very friendly and professional and they are coping well with the challenging dynamics of social distancing. Pool noodles were present in each cup and other measures were in place to make every guest feel safe and comfortable. Many have remarked on the lack of a driving range here, a surprising omission from any course but especially a premiere club such as this. That said, there is no shortage of nearby driving ranges and the aforementioned practice area is far more worth your pre-round time than a range would be anyways.

In my mind, however, the absence of a driving range is more than offset by the presence of an amenity available at fewer than 50 courses nationwide: Finn cycles. These electric motorcycle-style scooters offer a transformative way to experience the course, exponentially adding to the enjoyment of your round. This was my first time on one and it took all of 30 seconds to feel comfortable riding and steering it. Some golfers might feel intimidated by something that requires a kickstand to stay up, but once you get the hang of it, it’s a truly euphoric feeling riding down the middle of a Caledonia fairway, the gentle breeze in your face, not a care in the world. It works well with golfers and golf bags of every shape and size, the gradual acceleration and brisk top speed make it all the more manageable and fun. As a bonus, with no one slowing you up, you’ll shave 20-30 minutes off your round since you can ride them anywhere you would take a push cart.

For those looking for a more leisurely experience I can’t recommend walking this course enough. Certainly on my return trip I will be walking to take in the full beauty and serenity this course has to offer.

A beautiful setting, a dynamic layout, immaculate conditions, a fun mode of transportation, any one of these aspects would make for an enjoyable round of golf. Caledonia offers them all to you. Once you consider that, the price of admission suddenly becomes far more palatable. In fact when you compare it to places like Harbour Town and Sawgrass, Caledonia measures up as a good value. Sure, the other places might make you feel more like a pro when you play because of their presence on the PGA Tour. But at Caledonia, they make you feel like something even better: the member of an exclusive, exceptional club. That makes it worth every penny.

Commented on 05/12/2020

Awesome review!!

Wildlife, Layout Made For Enoyable Round

Played here after heavy rains and despite the course still being wet it played nicely and long, so we did lift clean and place. Greens were pristine. The staff were super friendly and helpful, and we knew in advance they don't have a driving range so we warmed up at Tupelo Bay range before our round. The large practice putting green serves for chipping/pitching as well (or at least we did not see the usual No Chipping sign). Except for the initial walk to the first tee and between 6th green and 7th tee, the course is walker friendly and we played in 4 hours. Pleasantly distracted by the abundant wildlife. The layout is fair and manageable, and not too many blind shots - except be wary of 18th drive - just stay in fairway, don't try to carry water unless big bomber. Nice snack bar and attendant at turn. I want to try the sister course True Blue and would play Caledonia again for sure.

Spectacular

I loved this course! Not only was it breathtakingly beautiful, but the course was in great shape. The greens were like glass. Not a dimple on them, and fast and true. The fairways were a bit chewed up due to recent rains, but the grounds crew had gone through the night before and filled them all. Pace of play was awesome. It was cart path only but that didn’t deter from a great round. The “chowder guy” was at the turn and the alligators were out sunning. Great course!!!

Cal 2

Great layout and aesthetically beautiful. Great greens and fairways

One of the best

We own a place in the Pawley's Island area of SC that we use just for short vacations. This course is less than 10 minutes away. There are several very good golf courses close by so I always avoided Caledonia because of it's price tag.
I've played here twice now, both times for more than I like paying but both times was superb.
The course amenities are not much to rave about but the pro shop is very adequate, the staff is friendly and efficient and the course itself, great.

Still amazing after all these years

I've played this course when returning to the Myrtle Beach area over several years. I played the course twice this time around. The course remains one of the best courses I've played. The condition of the greens and fairways were fantastic. The ball gobbling bermuda roughs were brutal and lush. Service was top notch and pace not an issue even during busy time. A special thanks for the mint scented cold towel at the end of the round. I simply love this course!

Always a Treat

This was our second trip to Caledonia in the past 12 months. I could play this course every day of my life. Every time you make a turn to the next tee, your senses are overwhelmed. Great landscape, great architecture, great conditions. Nature coexists all around you as well. Great gators, birds and wildlife. This might be the most beautiful course that public money can buy.

OVER PRICED

Played course in the past and this time it was in bad shape. NOT worth even $100 much less $149! NO sand in any waste bunkers. Bermuda rough not cut. greens sanded. Of course no mention of condition in the pro shop prior to round. Worst shape I've ever seen the course.

Great Day of golf

The course was in great shape, greens were nice. The gentleman at the carts [Darrell) was very friendly and informative. Starter was very nice and the clam chowder booth was very good.

The entire layout was excellent and very challenging. My only issues were the lack of a range to warm up and the bunkers need some serious work. Overall I would play it again but hopefully they repair the bunkers.

Nevada Advisor

Top 100

Just played Caledonia this past April 2019. First impressions were how pretty this place is. Course was packed but rarely was held up. Big negative was there was no range which drives me nuts. Again you pay 200 dollars and you can’t even properly warm up. The short game area was very very nice. The course conditions were just ok. To reiterate I have no problem paying big money to play golf. 200 is a drop in the bucket but for that price I would think the grounds would be in better shape. 25% of the greens were bad, some of the greens were covered in leaves and branches. You ever hear of a leaf blower? Would I play again? Probably but hope the conditions improve.

Terrible. Gone way downhill.

Avoid this place. The course is in terrible shape and the customer service is horrible. Marc is the pro who called us lairs when we called about a golf cart that wouldn’t run. He made us push the cart for 5 holes until he sent someone to replace it. When we asked after more phone calls why he hadn’t sent a new cart he said he never received an earlier call. We have a record of all the calls on our phone. This place has gone way downhill. They should be ashamed.

Commented on 05/23/2019

Our foursome played there on 5/20/19, despite this review. We are so glad we did. It was clearly the best of the 5 courses we played (Caledonia, Kings North, TPC, Wild Wing, Prestwick). We have played this course several times over the last 5 years. We were well aware of the course condition issues they had in the early Spring. The staff confirmed the problem on the phone before our visit. We saw almost no sign of any issues during our round. Love the layout also. We asked Marc specifically about the golf cart incident mentioned above. It seems the complaint call may have been fielded by staff at the sister course, True Blue.

Extremely Disappointed!

I had been excited to play this course for a while as I have lived in Myrtle Beach for the past four years. People rave about the conditions and layout. So I had a friend visiting from out of town this weekend and we played on Sunday. It was the most disappointed I have ever been with a golf course. Especially for the money that they charge. I received the local passport rate of $80, but I believe their standard rate was $150 or so. Good news was that we played fast as there was no one on the course (I guess others knew about the poor conditions, but unfortunately I drove 45 mins to get there and was unaware) We should have asked for our money back after the first hole. They started us out on 10. The green was borderline unplayable. In fact, the greens were the worst that I have played in the myrtle beach area. Bare spots, not cut and rolled. The fairways were shaggy and patchy (poorly patched with dormant bermuda in several areas as well) and many areas on the fairway had little grass. The bunkers were not maintained and the rough had spots in it that were right off of the fairway that were bare. I am an avid golfer and was really excited for this course. I left extremely disappointed and apologetic to my friend who just wasted his money on a track that was no better maintained than a city course. Not sure how this has received best course in the area for years? It is a hike to get down there, layout was OK but the maintenance was beyond poor and that tainted the experience from the start. If you are planning a trip to Myrtle in the next month or so - many better options. In fact we played World Tour on Saturday and it was in perfect condition. I have played several courses over the past month or two in the area and they were all in better shape than this. Save your money. Feel like we were taken advantage of for what we paid with the condition that this course was in.

Played Caledonia in mid January. Course was in excellent condition for mid Winter. Greens rolled true. Layout is very challenging and fun to play. Staff was very courteous. Great experience.

Great Place

With the entrance with all the spanish moss you drive in knowing its about to be a great golf experience everything is in top notch conditions and the design is so good with True Blue as their sister property next door it might be one of the best 36 public design wise. Staff was excellent at every turn and cant wait to go back

Public/Resort