Style Links

Grand Geneva Resort & Spa boasts two championship golf courses. The Brute Course is a formidable test while the Highlands Course presents a more player-friendly layout though it still has plenty of challenges in store. Jack Nicklaus and Pete Dye teamed up to design the Highlands. It is a traditional links-layout that is tumbles across glacier-carved hills and valleys. It perfectly mimics the feel of courses of the British Isles especially on the undulating greens that are flanked with bunkers. The course is playable for all skill levels though low handicappers looking for a challenge might want to tackle the Brute. The resort has garnered a popular following amongst both locals and visitors. Conde Nast Traveler ranked it in the top ten northern US golf resorts and that is just one of the many accolades Grand Geneva Resort & Spa has received.

Grand Geneva Resort - The Highlands
Tournament 71 6659 yards 71.5 125
Championship 71 6207 yards 69.2 120
Regular 71 5675 yards 66.8 114
Forward (W) 71 5011 yards 68.3 115
Scorecard for The Highlands
Gold M: 71.5/125 389 506 432 192 434 549 157 345 461 3465 318 594 217 394 398 350 381 150 392 3194 6659
Blue M: 69.2/120 376 483 394 153 410 511 146 320 450 3243 308 553 199 333 384 325 347 136 379 2964 6207
White M: 66.8/114 W: 70.0/118 333 450 350 117 374 483 136 264 435 2942 272 525 155 330 332 305 333 122 359 2733 5675
Red W: 68.3/115 290 421 328 91 355 457 127 230 304 2603 226 481 128 305 320 240 305 108 295 2408 5011

Year Built 1970
Architect Pete Dye (1970) Jack Nicklaus (1970) Bob Cupp (1996) Bob Lohmann (2006)

Walking Allowed No

Entertaining Clients 9

Nice time

We have played this course a few times and will play there again. A little wet today but fun.

Chicago Advisor

Grand Geneva Resort (The Highlands)

The Good: Fun Jack Nicklaus and Pete Dye collaboration is the second course built at Grand Geneva Resort. Wide open fairways provide the opportunity to keep the ball in play, but small, lightning quick greens protects The Highlands. Good course conditions, very nice off-course amenities, and excellent practice facility. Excellent Par 3's and some good risk/reward Par 5's. Most of the Par 4's have a "go for broke" opportunity off the tee, making for an enjoyable resort experience. Several holes have some great elevation change for a course in southern Wisconsin.

The Bad: Overpriced at $130 during high season. The Highlands is a $75 track that disguises itself as a premium resort course. Some holes are beautiful while others seem lackluster. Several tee boxes are uneven. Greens are almost too fast for the resort golfer.

The Verdict: The Highlands is the little sister to The Brute and for a reason. While it does offer great greens and a playable layout, there are only a few holes that justify the hefty greens fee. Nonetheless, there aren't too many more beautiful walks in the park in Southern Wisconsin.

Best Hole: The Par 3's #4 and #12 are great, but the downhill Par 4 #14 offers the best photo of the course. A downhill tee shot to a well-guarded uphill green.

Family reunion

Was in Lake Geneva area for my wife's family reunion. I was able to sneak away for some golf and decided to play The Highlands for the first time. There were some pretty heavy rains the night before but course was in excellent shape. It was cart path only which made the course a bit of a walk at times. Course conditions were very good, greens had been aerated weeks ago and ran very nice. Bunkers needed to be worked from the rains but that would be expected. Definitely recommend this course and next time in LG I will be back.

Illinois Advisor

Not quite The Brute but still a challenge

This was my first time playing either course at Grand Geneva. Even before stepping foot on the course, I was impressed with the facilities. The pro shop is very nice. The practice green is very large with a variety of slopes to get you ready for the greens on the courses. The is a chipping/pitching area next to the practice green. Balls on the driving range are included with your greens fees. You have to hit off of turf but the range is large with a variety of flags set at different distances to get you warmed up. The golf carts are set up with a very nice GPS unit which gives readings of distance to the pin, front and back of the greens, hazards, etc. Probably the nicest GPS set-up I've seen on a cart.

The starter at the first tee recommended the blue tees for my group. In doing so, he said it really doesn't matter what set of tees you play from. He stated The Highlands course will give you multiple chances for birdies and pars but it will also give you multiple chances for double and triple bogeys.

The course does not play extremely long as even from the tips it is less than 6700 yards. Where this course will beat you up is the par 4's. Many of them have such tight landing areas off the tee where you will have to hit a wood or a hybrid off the tee to play it safe. If you miss badly, you are in the woods or waste areas, and are scrambling for bogey. Elevations changes will also play havoc with your club selection and distances. Overall, the course was in excellent condition. Just be aware, the course was closed on 4/25, as they were starting to aerate the greens. If you play The Highlands in the next week or two, the greens may run a little rough.

Pace of play on a Sunday afternoon was just OK. There were waits on some tees and several holes had multiple groups on them. I believe we finished our round in a little over 4.5 hours.

Out of the two course, I enjoyed The Brute more but will definitely play The Highlands again. The two courses compliment each other well. If you play The Highlands first, it is a good warm-up for The Brute. If you play The Brute first and get beat up, The Highlands will be a welcome recovery round. For perspective, I shot 10 strokes better on The Highlands than I did The Brute.

A scenic, playable course through beautiful woodland

TheHighlands used to be called The Briar Patch. It was one of the early, and few, Pete Dye-Jack Nicklaus collaborations, opened in 1968 as part of the Playboy Resort. Some older buddies of mine who played the original said it was much tougher at that time than its sister course, The Brute. But it was reworked and softened in the mid-late 1990s by Bob Cupp and Bob Lohman -- and renamed to sound less threatening. A bit more target-golf than The Brute, but "getable". A guy I played with had 5 birdies and an eagle, but still shot 80, due to some triple-bogeys. In other words: getable, but still plenty of trouble to find -- wetlands, woods, high grass. Lots of short par 4s, which will challenge your club selections and strategy, depending on the tees you play -- anything from a driver down to hybrid will be an option. Undulating greens that still show telltale hallmarks of the Dye-Nicklaus days. Great staff and practice area!

Chicago Milwaukee Advisor

Can score well or score high

The Highlands at grand geneva is a very nice course with very good amenities. Staff is friendly and helpful and the bag of tees and repair tools are a great addition. You can score on this course very well but the course is tight which can make the score go up up up. Fairways are some of the best around and greens are always in good shape too. The 9th hole is for sure the hardest hole in walworth county maybe the hardest in southern wi. 450yd par 4 uphill with a landing zone off the tee about 30 yds wide with ob on both sides. Then have a long iron or hybrid up hill to a false front green. Getting out of here with 5 is a good score. The golf course is a top 5 lg cpurse to me the bev carts are huge and obnoxious and the price for the course is far to high, but they always throw out deals with the hotel so check for those. Great course to play if you can find a deal.

Grand Geneva Resort - Highlands / Very Nice!

This is a very nice upscale coarse and got a very good price from golfnow.com . I was supposed to be paired up with other golfers but was told the coarse was wide open and could go out when ever I felt like it. I hit a couple at the range first and when i went to the 1 tee there was no one waiting so I just went out alone. The coarse was in great condition for mid Oct. and it had some quite challenging holes. I would definitely play this coarse again.

beautiful course

good value --will be back-will attend with regular four-some

Love the terraine layout

Love the glacier terraine of the Highlands. There's hardly no houses. Mostly woids and fields. I think this course is harder than the Brute. It has a couple of short par 4, blind holes.
Considering it had rain for two days, 50° and 20 mph winds it was cart path only..The grounds crew was working hard to blow the leaves away. The $10 rate (Golfnow.com) was worth the trip to Grand Geneva National..

Great course, Great deal from Golfnow

great golf course that I was able to play all 18 by myself. There's even a runway in the middle of the course that caught my eye. A leftover from the playboy club era days I suppose.

Great course but slow pace of play

We really had a great day at the Highlands. The layout is great with ample landing areas on most holes, great conditions and tricky, sloping greens. Played the senior tees (around 5700+) yards which made the course very playable for my ability.

We had some concerns with the help we received upon check-in. The guy at the bag drop who seemed very busy, never put my clubs on the cart, so I had to do that myself. Also, the women in the golf shop asked me to prove that we had prepaid. Luckily, I was able to show her the confirmation email on my iPhone. Despite these minor issues, we had a great day and would return .

brnidgrl7
Commented On 07/10/2016

The Highlands has always been my favorite course, and is truly that inspired by the actually "Links" of a Scottish golf course. I have both golfed and worked as Supervisor and a filled in many times on a Beverage and food cart. You are also very correct! I can't tell you how many times someones ball had actually hit my Beverage cart alone. Luckily we had those thick and sturdy Plexi-Glass shields to protect us from the from and back and partially on the sides. Came really close one time though! A ball actually came on in the inside of my cart, and thankfully someone yelled to "Fore" in enough time for me to take cover under my seat, with my arms covering my head. So, yes... There are some blind areas on the Highlands, but it's such a beautiful links! I liked it better than the Brute, but that's just me.

top tier golf course

Fairly long with someelevated tees and greens, long carries and large undulating greens. Fairways, rough and greens all in top notch condition.

Highlands

The course was in great shape. We did not see anyone until the 17th hole. I would recommend this course to anyone who can hit the ball accurately.

Overall nice place

Had a great day even though I played bad course was beautiful and conditions were ideal. Greens a little tough to read and challenging course. Good job grand geneva!! We will be back

Away Day

We had a challenging and rewarding time playing 18 holes on the Highlands. The weather was quite warm and humid, or we would have enjoyed the day even more.
The setting, surroundings are beautiful. Placed in the midst of the beautiful architecture of nature.
We will definitely be back!

what a great time

My first time ever playing. Got tomplay for $25. This is unheard of. Very challenging. Absolutely beutiful. You cant go wrong.

Excellent Day and Valur

I will go back in a heart beat. Great course. High tech carts with Gps. Great day had by all. Course is not for beginners however. Perfectly challenging for our group.

My Experience

Over all we had a great time the golf course, will go back again.

Genoa City, Wisconsin
Burlington, Wisconsin

Valid dates: May 27, 2019 - Sep 01, 2019
Experience golf at its best on five fully renovated championship courses in pristine condition. This summer, villa accommodations start at just $232/person/night—or you can upgrade to The Sanctuary Hotel from $404/person/night (midweek).
TPC Sawgrass Experience Golf Package
PARK CITY VACATION DEALS
Stay and Play
Stay & Play Escape at Eagle Eye!
Stay and Play
Stay & Play this Summer at Hawk Hollow!