No. 7 (Shipwreck) on the Straits Course at Whistling Straits
2.4

Style Links

Year Built 1998
Fairways Fescue Grass
Architect Pete Dye (1998)

Carts Yes - $35

Caddies Yes
Golf School Academy Yes - Kohler Golf Academy
Practice Hole Yes

A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 11

Manageable course, even in the wind. Just play smart golf.

Went for my brothers 30th, played Straights, Irish and Blackwolf River course. Straights is a must cause it’s the straights, but make sure you play Blackwolf River too.

Straights: 15-20 mph winds and rain and 45-50 degrees we got the true experience. Was hitting stingers all day, and it worked.

For the 1k traps that are on the course, i didn’t find myself in them as much as I would have thought.

Greens: Greens rolled true, and rolled well. They weren’t super fast but they weren’t slow either. Probably rolling to an 11 on the stint.

Tee boxes: Play the tee box assigned to your handicap!! Or one down if it’s your first time playing the course. For expose my handicap would have dictated to play blue, but with the 20 mph wind and first time playing the course we opted for green.

In the words of Phil, hit bombs, attack pins and drain putts. Enjoy the Straights!

Minnesota Advisor

An incredibly fun afternoon, 10/10

This place is a golf powerhouse with multiple courses which are all very popular. I opted for the big boy, the Straits course. Clubhouse is incredible, make some time just to explore the whole building. The front doors alone put most clubhouses to shame. Pro shop is stocked with items, and with the Ryder Cup coming in 2020, they have a lot of Ryder Cup gear as well. Only pro shop I have been in with a fireplace, and it was lit, that was a neat touch. This course is no where near cheap, it is very expensive. So, enjoy it as you don't shell out that kind of money on a round every day. Driving range was nice, free tees, bug spray, many targets to aim for, all around a great range. Also had a chipping area which was nice. They also had a few practice putting greens which were very nice. This is a walking course, there are no golf carts. This adds a new dynamic to the course and it is an awesome touch. I loved how everyone had to walk and I enjoyed the walk as well. They have caddies, use them. They add to the experience and help a lot. We had Berry and PJ, both were knowledgable and fun caddies. They helped immensely and really brought some fun to our group. The course is tough, with 1100 bunkers, you need to accurate. Most of the bunkers serve a cosmetic role, unless you are a very wild shot. You need to be accurate here, if you are not, you will not enjoy the scorecard. Your driver has to be dialed in or you may want to opt for a different club, if you are not in the fairway off the tee you will be fighting for par, if not bogey. Its an awesome course, extremely pretty and maintained very well. They have 6 tees, 7790 from the Blacks down to 5564 from the Reds. I played the Blues at 7142 and found it to be very fun and challenging. Play the right tee though, I felt like the Blues were just fine for me, and it made it very enjoyable. The course has multiple holes that run along Lake Michigan, its incredible and the most memorable set of holes I have played. The lake is great and really adds to the beauty of the course. Greens were true, they rolled well and were fairly quick. Not as fast as I was thinking they would be but they were still nice. My favorite hole was 7, named Shipwreck, 205 par 3. This is a once in a lifetime type course, absolutely a bucket list member. Playing here is a treat and no matter how you play or what the scorecard looks like, you will enjoy it immensely. One of my favorites I have played and I absolutely recommend playing here.

Bucket List Course, does not disappoint.

Visually Stunning, unbelievable layout. Course is challenging, but surprisingly not as challenging as anticipated. Obviously need to play the right tees. The $500 is a hard pill to swallow, but I'd recommend it once. Probably would not spend it again, but definitely worth it to check it off the bucket list. It's an amazing experience and a fair test if you can keep the ball in play, etc.

Texas Advisor

Whistling Straits - Straits: Whistle While you Work

Well this is it isn't it? The gem in the Wisconsin golf crown? Host of tons of golf history situated on the shore of a great lake? Indeed.

Visually, this course is just what you'd expect based on TV. It's beautiful, and just a little scary. OK... A LOT scary!

This is a walking only course and you have to take a caddie. You'll want one. Fortunately, the walk is very reasonable, just a touch over 6 miles and not too hilly. Pace of play is a bit sluggish. One of the marshals told me average is a touch over 5 hours.

No sugar coating... this course is hard. Like, maybe the hardest course I've ever played. There is trouble everywhere, at all times. Bunkers, lakes, taller bunkers, deeper bunkers, cliffs, fescue. Bring your best golf swing. Certainly if it's windy, don't hesitate to move up a tee box or two.

The par 3s are the real show stealers here. Each nestled along the lake with fantastic hills, bunkers, and cliffs. They are breathtaking to look at and leave you lightheaded when you have to take a shot.

Normally I'd highlight some holes I really liked, but it's tough here. It was so tough it was hard to take in the holes... too focused on just battling to get a score. I will say that 13 was one of the craziest holes. It's a midlength par 4 that runs down towards the lake. The whole green runs away from the fairway, creating an insanely difficult 2nd shot. Looking back, I almost wish I'd just putted a hybrid for my second shot from 110. 18 is a real stunner of a hole. Very cool tee shot and intimidating approach.

Overall, this course is incredible. It's quite obvious why this is a great venue for a major championship. If I'm honest though, I'd rather watch someone else play this course. It's difficult to the point I just don't think I'm good enough. I have a hard time imagining a 15-20+ handicap player enjoying themselves, but it's STILL worth it because it's WHISTLING STRAITS!

Still one of my top golf experiences ever

This is the second time I've played the Straits Course, and I feel the same way about it as I did before: It's beautiful and difficult, but not as difficult as one would think. In other words, it's visually intimidating, but there really is ample room to hit the ball, especially off the tee. And I say this having not played it nearly as well as I did the first time. With that said, if your handicap is over 20, you'll have a difficult time out here. Despite its links look, you're not going to run many shots up to the greens. And you definitely want to try to avoid the bunkers (some are more reasonable than others). Most of all, though, the Straits Course is one of the most unique golf courses in the world. It's contrived, but so what? It's a visual feast from the first tee to the 18th hole. The par 3s are spectacular. And if you didn't know better, you'd think you were on the ocean. Yes, it's expensive to play, but they charge that because they can get it.

Birmingham Advisor

Most humbling golf experience of my life

This is the hardest golf course I’ve ever played, and as a Top 100 list chaser, I’ve played some brutes. The Straits course, however, humbled me.

My experience was no doubt influenced by my struggle to find the fairway off the tee. I didn’t bring my best stuff with my driver, and that put me a half-shot per hole behind all round long. This is a first-shot golf course in my opinion. Pete, as Pete will do, makes fairways and landing areas visibly hard to discern from the tee, which will aggravate many players. Other times, you see only a ribbon, which can gnaw at your confidence. If you don’t hit fairways here, you are either in a craggy, often bathtub-size bunker, or the first-cut of rough that was highly unpredictable to judge how balls would would come off the clubface. The knee-high hay that borders holes, is nearly impossible to escape. Wedge it out. Trust me.

The second key to this course is trusting your caddy. When he or she gives you a line, commit to it. That is the best advice I can give you.

It was windy today - 15 mph - meaning some par 4s are going to play like 4 1/2’s. The wind also greatly affects putts, particularly on the lake-bordering holes.

Surprisingly, it is difficult to lose a ball on this course, especially if you have an experienced caddie. Despite all of the bunkers that litter the course and the cliff-like grass slopes that run toward the lake, most balls are playable. Yet, it is hard to advance the ball very far because of the severe sidehill lies.

Another key to successfully scoring here, or at least not wrecking your card, is to accept bogey when bogey is probably the best you can do. Hero shots don’t fare well here. You will likely be exhausted after a round here, and not physically. It isn’t a bad walk. Mentally, however, the Straits is draining.

Despite a horrifically higher score than I am accustomed to, I appreciated the round. This is the type of course that separates the best players from the rest. I have a tremendous appreciation for what Jason Day and Jordan Spieth did here several years ago in the epic duel.

In summary, bring your A-tee game or you will be scrambling for bogies all day. Don’t set any scoring expectations. You will likely shoot higher, and in some cases much higher, scores than usual, so don’t let that detract from the experience of playing one of the U.S.’s most difficult golf courses. And finally, trust your caddy.

Breathtaking. Hard. Do it.

Saved this course for last on Dye-abolical package. Wind was up all day to make it tougher but it was not unfair. PLAY AN APPROPRIATE TEE. They tell you this at the beginning, so listen. Just stand on the first 2 teeboxes where the pros hit from and mosey on up to the green or white tees. Scott Flowers was our caddy again and he is a phenomenal green reader and just all around great guy to walk with for 5+ hours. It takes awhile. Enjoy it. Hands down, prettiest course I have ever played. A top 3 for me. Pony up the dough and do it.

Chicago Milwaukee Advisor

Nothing can top this place.

This place words can hardly describe. I have played great courses like Bethpage Black and Erin Hills and this place takes the cake. The conditions were top notch the service was amazing and the sites are breath taking. We got in what they call the Kohler fall challenge so you get to play both the Straits and the River in a Best Ball format. Those 7 or so holes that run along Lake an so cool they look like they are floating out there. The other 11 are terrifically designed. There isnt a bad or even average hole on this course. A plus plus in my book. A bucket list course for sure.

Stunning but difficult real difficult

This was a bucket list course for my daughter and I and what a great place. All the staff were just awesome. We didn't get a caddy due to our tee time at 3:40 so we carried, what a mistake, wow tough track to walk much less carrying your own bag. Much respect to the caddies here. The course was mind blowing. The landscape was unreal, loved it. Only issue I have is it's a little tough to pick a line your first time around and trust it, insert caddy help here. Regardless it was a great experience one we won't forget.

Glad we did it but not likely to repeat soon - Thanks "Borat"

Yes its famous, yes its got some truly memorable holes, yes the lake views are special.

But seriously, its $1,000 for a twosome, with caddie and tip.

And IMO links golf in 90 degree direct sun with no trees anywhere is not that appealing.

Caddie (Oscar) was outstanding, though ... definitely assisted our play and made the experience more fun, plus he does an awesome Borat impersonation.

Oh, and btw it is ridiculously hard, especially with 20 MPH wind all day.

Glad I got it off the bucket list, but I think River is the better course.

Bucket List Course!

I can't say enough great things about the course! Great practice area, friendly staff and really challenging course. The course was in great shape. Walking the course with your caddy was a lot of fun too! My caddy was Gilberto and he was fantastic. Great personality and really knowledgeable about the course. Jason was the other caddy in our group and was excellent as well. I didn't play well but it was probably the best golf experience of my life.

Commented on 08/06/2016

I'm heading up to play the Straits on 8/15, were there any talks about punching the greens soon?

Downstate Illinois Advisor

Golf heaven in Haven, Wisconsin

Prince recently died and one of my favorite Prince's songs is "I would die 4 u." The Straits course is designed by world famous Pete Dye and I'd die here while I watch my T-shot going straight into the hole in par 3s. Then, I hope that my golf buddies bury my body under one of 1,1000 bunkers.

Yes, the course is so beautiful and the scenery along Michigan lake is surreal as if I'm walking on another planet. Caddies in white uniform sing "fore" like angels and the wind whistles in harmony. This course is a grave yard for your precious balls yet a perfect place to bury your favorite golf memories.

Lots of intimidation, but playable if the wind is down

So, this is an expensive course -- $390 rack rate w/ about $120 total for caddie. But it is the site of PGA Championships and the 2020 Ryder Cup. So...Bucket List. It's wild and jagged, and is admittedly contrived to look like a dunesy links. But it is FUN. If the wind is not blowing too hard, it's a perfectly fair course that is relatively straightforward to play if you're not too wild off the tee. Get the ball in play, and enjoy the scenery. I played the entire round with one ball -- caddie only saved the day once. Nearly all but the greenside bunkers are eye candy, designed to freak you out and play with depth perception. 18 is the hardest hole on the course, and for purists, it'll be a bit of a "clown's nose" sort of hole, but hit a career approach, andy you will never forget it!

Worth the price

The price may scare some people away, but it is worth it as a bucket list course. Top notch everything. Not a bad hole on the golf course and some excellent views.

Brutal on a Windy Day

Wow, this course was brutal with the wind blowing consistently over 20mph the entire day. The fairways are fair, but if you are having trouble finding the fairway the course shows its teeth. I didn't have my best game and with the wind blowing the course was a brute from the green tees. I made a tee time only 2 days before hand as a single and surprisingly when I showed up in the morning it was just me, sent out as the first group of the day. I basically had the course and caddie to myself, typically a caddie carries two bags, so we managed to play in about 3.25 hrs. This is a bucket list course, but this does not come cheap. The Straits course requires a caddie so expect to spend at least $120 on top of the steep $380 green fee. I would love to play this course again, but I think I would do so as part of a package to try and lower the somewhat exorbitant price.

A little over the top perhaps, but unforgettable

I can finally cross the Straits Course off my bucket list. It's everything I thought it would be -- incredible views, difficult and very Pete Dye. Was it necessary to put 1,000 bunkers on the golf course, especially since half or more really don't come into play? Probably not, but that's Dye for you. With that said, I found the course to be imminently interesting, even though it is a little over the top. It's certainly an experience I'll never forget. And despite it's intimidating feel, I never lost a ball (the caddies told us that might be the case before the round). I actually found it more playable than two of Dye's other more recent works -- Pound Ridge in NY and his course in French Lick, Indiana. And yes, it's expensive, but this is one of those golfers every avid golfer should get to once in his or her lifetime simply to experience it.

Bucket list

A bit over the top, but a course that any serious golfer has to play. Half of the bunkers never come into play. I expected an unfair, quirky course, but actually, it's fair but difficult. Fairways are much wider than they look from the tee box. Greens are fairly easy to read and extremely consistent. Played front 9 with no wind and shot even par. Lots of wind on back 9 and shot 43...different course in wind. Absolutely beautiful scenery. Great caddies. VERY pricey.

A Must Play Despite Cost

So obviously this is a bucklist with a high price tag and I had high expectations entering the round. The course not only met them all, it exceeded them. Probably got a big break given it was about 72 degrees with minimal wind and sunny. The atmosphere is first class and the sheep roaming the course are a nice touch. Amazing vistas from just about every hole. The pace of play was pretty slow, not due to slow play, but because of course length. There aren't too many better finishing holes than #18 Dyeabolical

Jaw-dropping, extremely difficult Dye creation

The Straits Course is, quite frankly, a tribute to excess: excessive land moved, five-something-thousand bunkers and also (at least for most of us average hacks) excessive balls lost during a round.

While I certainly respect and appreciate what Herb Kohler and Pete Dye have done here, and the views are spectacular, I can't say it's one of my favorite courses in the world. I don't think it feels like "Ireland." It looks like a bomb went off in Ireland. I've never been completely on board with how severely and jaggedly Dye shapes courses and this is a prime example. Maybe one day, should I get down to scratch, I'll appreciate the challenge made here for the Ryder Cups, PGAs,etc. Until then, I'll stick to Blackwolf Run or the Irish Course, both of which I prefer (and both of which are far more affordable).

Play it once to get the point, then head across Lake Michigan and play Arcadia Bluffs for half the cost.

Valid dates: Oct 10, 2019 - Oct 31, 2019
Golf Package Special for October starts at $199.00 for 1 or 2 golfers, Monday to Thursday. Golf included for each nights stay. Call 520-577-4092 to add additional golfers to the package.