Straits Golf Course at Whistling Straits

Green (W) 72 6663 yards 79.4 143
Scorecard for Straits Course
Black M: 77.2/152 493 597 188 494 603 409 221 506 442 3953 391 645 163 402 396 503 568 249 520 3837 7790
Blue M: 74.2/145 405 533 180 451 563 378 205 470 412 3597 376 563 138 389 360 464 545 223 487 3545 7142
Green M: 71.9/141 W: 79.4/143 370 521 166 414 543 360 185 429 384 3372 334 544 118 364 346 429 535 197 424 3291 6663
White M: 70.4/137 W: 76.9/137 361 508 154 404 527 352 172 405 371 3254 320 519 99 336 332 402 513 165 420 3106 6360
White/Red M: 68.9/133 W: 75.3/134 361 447 154 354 459 352 132 405 347 3011 320 479 99 336 332 402 513 165 380 3026 6037
Red M: 66.4/129 W: 72.7/129 325 447 111 354 459 282 132 355 347 2812 304 479 89 319 271 367 412 131 380 2752 5564

Year Built 1998
Fairways Fescue Grass
Architect Pete Dye (1998)

Carts Yes - $35

A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 10
Group Getaways 7
Texas Advisor

Whistling Straits - Straits: Whistle While you Work

Well this is it isn't it? The gem in the Wisconsin golf crown? Host of tons of golf history situated on the shore of a great lake? Indeed. Visually, this course is just what you'd expect based on TV. It's beautiful, and just a little scary. OK... A LOT scary! This is a walking only course and you have to take a caddie. You'll want one. Fortunately, the walk is very reasonable, just a touch over 6 miles and not too hilly. Pace of play is a bit sluggish. One of the marshals told me average is a touch over 5 hours. No sugar coating... this course is hard. Like, maybe the hardest course I've ever played. There is trouble everywhere, at all times. Bunkers, lakes, taller bunkers, deeper bunkers, cliffs, fescue. Bring your best golf swing. Certainly if it's windy, don't hesitate to move up a tee box or two. The par 3s are the real show stealers here. Each nestled along the lake with fantastic hills, bunkers, and cliffs. They are breathtaking to look at and leave you lightheaded when you have to take a shot. Normally I'd highlight some holes I really liked, but it's tough here. It was so tough it was hard to take in the holes... too focused on just battling to get a score. I will say that 13 was one of the craziest holes. It's a midlength par 4 that runs down towards the lake. The whole green runs away from the fairway, creating an insanely difficult 2nd shot. Looking back, I almost wish I'd just putted a hybrid for my second shot from 110. 18 is a real stunner of a hole. Very cool tee shot and intimidating approach. Overall, this course is incredible. It's quite obvious why this is a great venue for a major championship. If I'm honest though, I'd rather watch someone else play this course. It's difficult to the point I just don't think I'm good enough. I have a hard time imagining a 15-20+ handicap player enjoying themselves, but it's STILL worth it because it's WHISTLING STRAITS!
Staff Friendliness Good
Pace of Play Average
Course Layout Excellent

Still one of my top golf experiences ever

This is the second time I've played the Straits Course, and I feel the same way about it as I did before: It's beautiful and difficult, but not as difficult as one would think. In other words, it's visually intimidating, but there really is ample room to hit the ball, especially off the tee. And I say this having not played it nearly as well as I did the first time. With that said, if your handicap is over 20, you'll have a difficult time out here. Despite its links look, you're not going to run many shots up to the greens. And you definitely want to try to avoid the bunkers (some are more reasonable than others). Most of all, though, the Straits Course is one of the most unique golf courses in the world. It's contrived, but so what? It's a visual feast from the first tee to the 18th hole. The par 3s are spectacular. And if you didn't know better, you'd think you were on the ocean. Yes, it's expensive to play, but they charge that because they can get it.
Birmingham Advisor

Most humbling golf experience of my life

This is the hardest golf course I’ve ever played, and as a Top 100 list chaser, I’ve played some brutes. The Straits course, however, humbled me. My experience was no doubt influenced by my struggle to find the fairway off the tee. I didn’t bring my best stuff with my driver, and that put me a half-shot per hole behind all round long. This is a first-shot golf course in my opinion. Pete, as Pete will do, makes fairways and landing areas visibly hard to discern from the tee, which will aggravate many players. Other times, you see only a ribbon, which can gnaw at your confidence. If you don’t hit fairways here, you are either in a craggy, often bathtub-size bunker, or the first-cut of rough that was highly unpredictable to judge how balls would would come off the clubface. The knee-high hay that borders holes, is nearly impossible to escape. Wedge it out. Trust me. The second key to this course is trusting your caddy. When he or she gives you a line, commit to it. That is the best advice I can give you. It was windy today - 15 mph - meaning some par 4s are going to play like 4 1/2’s. The wind also greatly affects putts, particularly on the lake-bordering holes. Surprisingly, it is difficult to lose a ball on this course, especially if you have an experienced caddie. Despite all of the bunkers that litter the course and the cliff-like grass slopes that run toward the lake, most balls are playable. Yet, it is hard to advance the ball very far because of the severe sidehill lies. Another key to successfully scoring here, or at least not wrecking your card, is to accept bogey when bogey is probably the best you can do. Hero shots don’t fare well here. You will likely be exhausted after a round here, and not physically. It isn’t a bad walk. Mentally, however, the Straits is draining. Despite a horrifically higher score than I am accustomed to, I appreciated the round. This is the type of course that separates the best players from the rest. I have a tremendous appreciation for what Jason Day and Jordan Spieth did here several years ago in the epic duel. In summary, bring your A-tee game or you will be scrambling for bogies all day. Don’t set any scoring expectations. You will likely shoot higher, and in some cases much higher, scores than usual, so don’t let that detract from the experience of playing one of the U.S.’s most difficult golf courses. And finally, trust your caddy.
Pace of Play Average
Course Conditions Good
Value for the Money Good
Course Layout Excellent

Breathtaking. Hard. Do it.

Saved this course for last on Dye-abolical package. Wind was up all day to make it tougher but it was not unfair. PLAY AN APPROPRIATE TEE. They tell you this at the beginning, so listen. Just stand on the first 2 teeboxes where the pros hit from and mosey on up to the green or white tees. Scott Flowers was our caddy again and he is a phenomenal green reader and just all around great guy to walk with for 5+ hours. It takes awhile. Enjoy it. Hands down, prettiest course I have ever played. A top 3 for me. Pony up the dough and do it.
Chicago Milwaukee Advisor

Nothing can top this place.

This place words can hardly describe. I have played great courses like Bethpage Black and Erin Hills and this place takes the cake. The conditions were top notch the service was amazing and the sites are breath taking. We got in what they call the Kohler fall challenge so you get to play both the Straits and the River in a Best Ball format. Those 7 or so holes that run along Lake an so cool they look like they are floating out there. The other 11 are terrifically designed. There isnt a bad or even average hole on this course. A plus plus in my book. A bucket list course for sure.
Course Layout Excellent

Stunning but difficult real difficult

This was a bucket list course for my daughter and I and what a great place. All the staff were just awesome. We didn't get a caddy due to our tee time at 3:40 so we carried, what a mistake, wow tough track to walk much less carrying your own bag. Much respect to the caddies here. The course was mind blowing. The landscape was unreal, loved it. Only issue I have is it's a little tough to pick a line your first time around and trust it, insert caddy help here. Regardless it was a great experience one we won't forget.
Value for the Money Good
Course Layout Excellent

Glad we did it but not likely to repeat soon - Thanks "Borat"

Yes its famous, yes its got some truly memorable holes, yes the lake views are special. But seriously, its $1,000 for a twosome, with caddie and tip. And IMO links golf in 90 degree direct sun with no trees anywhere is not that appealing. Caddie (Oscar) was outstanding, though ... definitely assisted our play and made the experience more fun, plus he does an awesome Borat impersonation. Oh, and btw it is ridiculously hard, especially with 20 MPH wind all day. Glad I got it off the bucket list, but I think River is the better course.
Pace of Play Poor
Off-course amenities Good
Value for the Money Poor

Bucket List Course!

I can't say enough great things about the course! Great practice area, friendly staff and really challenging course. The course was in great shape. Walking the course with your caddy was a lot of fun too! My caddy was Gilberto and he was fantastic. Great personality and really knowledgeable about the course. Jason was the other caddy in our group and was excellent as well. I didn't play well but it was probably the best golf experience of my life.
Nomie4544517
Commented On 08/06/2016
I'm heading up to play the Straits on 8/15, were there any talks about punching the greens soon?
Downstate Illinois Advisor

Golf heaven in Haven, Wisconsin

Prince recently died and one of my favorite Prince's songs is "I would die 4 u." The Straits course is designed by world famous Pete Dye and I'd die here while I watch my T-shot going straight into the hole in par 3s. Then, I hope that my golf buddies bury my body under one of 1,1000 bunkers. Yes, the course is so beautiful and the scenery along Michigan lake is surreal as if I'm walking on another planet. Caddies in white uniform sing "fore" like angels and the wind whistles in harmony. This course is a grave yard for your precious balls yet a perfect place to bury your favorite golf memories.
Course Layout Excellent

Lots of intimidation, but playable if the wind is down

So, this is an expensive course -- $390 rack rate w/ about $120 total for caddie. But it is the site of PGA Championships and the 2020 Ryder Cup. So...Bucket List. It's wild and jagged, and is admittedly contrived to look like a dunesy links. But it is FUN. If the wind is not blowing too hard, it's a perfectly fair course that is relatively straightforward to play if you're not too wild off the tee. Get the ball in play, and enjoy the scenery. I played the entire round with one ball -- caddie only saved the day once. Nearly all but the greenside bunkers are eye candy, designed to freak you out and play with depth perception. 18 is the hardest hole on the course, and for purists, it'll be a bit of a "clown's nose" sort of hole, but hit a career approach, andy you will never forget it!
Quality of food & beverage Excellent