Style Traditional/Links

University Ridge Golf Course is just 15 minutes from the University of Wisconsin campus and downtown Madison. The course's name comes from the defining feature of the landscape, a remnant of the last retreating glacier. The course is perched right where the Wisconsin Glacier stopped, providing the backbone of the ridge that divides the terrain into clusters of hills and valleys. Robert Trent Jones Jr. designed the golf course with distinctly different front and back nines that make it feel like you are playing two courses in one. The front nine plays across grassy meadows, featuring contoured fairways and generous landing areas. Wind will definitely be a challenge on this more open nine. In contrast, mature trees frame most of the holes on the back nine. The golf course finishes with two of its toughest holes: a long par 3 over water and then another long hole, a par 4 that plays uphill.

Scorecard for University Ridge Golf Course
Black M: 74.9/144 396 555 242 467 198 623 429 207 587 3704 483 569 200 336 398 352 554 250 413 3555 7259
Blue M: 72.5/140 376 546 195 398 172 608 379 162 554 3390 456 537 174 330 377 321 533 192 408 3328 6718
Green M: 70.3/132 370 515 174 354 169 570 345 151 475 3123 424 504 159 316 358 312 514 164 371 3122 6245
White M: 67.9/126 355 461 170 332 140 534 325 144 442 2903 375 462 124 294 322 280 471 155 366 2849 5752
Red W: 68.9/121 293 428 135 304 126 442 298 83 421 2530 342 412 95 222 309 245 434 130 286 2475 5005

Year Built 1991

A must play in Wisconsin

Beautiful course even with a couple of holes with problems due to the heavy rain in the area late summer. Staff wanted to be very helpful and accommodating. Definitely would play again if opportunity presented itself.

uni ridge

obviously if the course is good enough for the champions tour, us amateurs should have no issue with it..and i did not. layout was extremely challenging but fair, conditions were great..greens were fast and smooth..overall just a phenomenal experience at uni ridge

I loved the course . the track was a great challenge I will play again.

U Ridge

Wow....first time playing this course. Even though the greens were being aerated, this course was AWESOME. I broke 100 here which was my goal. I would recommend this course to anyone. One of my playing partners has played this course as much as anyone and it was beneficial to have his experience on how to play it. I will be back for sure!

Well worth the trip

This is an awesome course. Beautiful holes, tough to score. I was hole after hole super impressed with the layout and the requirement of hitting good golf shots.
The front 9 is more open than the back but with the fast greens and undulation putting and ball placement on the greens is a must.
This is a good golfers dream!!!! If you are a hacker that likes to play I would probably stay away..

Pristine experience

Course was in perfect shape:
Spotless greens, attentive staff.
The cafe and bar area were staffed by the most personable folk.
Very hot day and having water coolers every four holes is really thoughtful.
I've been fortunate to have played some of the best tracks in the US, and this one is now among them.
Great job.

The Best In Madison Area

University Ridge is the finest golf course in Madison. The grounds are meticulously cared for, the clubhouse and facilities top-notch and the staff that I interacted with could not be friendlier! We had the added bonus of being one of the last groups to play before getting into high gear preparations for the AmFam Insurance Open the next week. It was really cool playing in tournament conditions with grandstands and tv towers all about. Greenskeepers though busy, were very accommodating getting players through while they were getting everything ready. Though we got an awesome Hot Deal, I wouldn't hesitate to pay their full price when I come back to Madison! It's worth it!

Idaho Advisor

I was looking for more golf in my golf course, University Ridge delivered

Yesterday, upon reflection on of a recent round at Cog Hill #4, I was telling Melanie that I wish we had booked more TPC type courses on the trip. Tournament ready courses that set up for “good old fashioned golf” rather than necessarily being focused on attempting to accomplish breath taking effect on every hole. Enter University Ridge at the University of Wisconsin.

This course feels, from start to finish, like a tournament course; ready to challenge your golf game at least as much as your shot making. It makes sense because, as it turns out, there is a Champions Tour event there in about two weeks. In fact as we hit our approaches on 17 and 18 we were shooting into grandstand construction projects of somewhat staggering proportions (the guy I was playing with said they were expecting a couple hundred thousand people to attend). In other words, University Ridge was set up to play tournament golf at just about the highest level there is.

Most of the holes are straightforward with all of their challenges made clear. Number two has a few surprises in the second shot landing area if you don’t take a peak down the course before you shoot, but the hole clearly states on the tee box what you must carry to cross the creek that wanders across the fairway.

While there are few surprises here, there’s also not a lot of room for poor golf. Plan on giving up a stroke if you mishit a ball. Having said that though, what you don’t have to worry about - for the most part - is giving up multiple strokes to a middling shot. University Ridge plays very fair, and again, in my estimation is a very good test of your golf game.

Fear not though, there is still some shot making fun to be had out there, as exemplified by the three finishing holes. Big hitters will love the par 5 16th with multiple tee shot options (including, as my playing partner described it, the “pro option” which is straight over the trees with a mid-range iron into the green for an eagle try). Shot makers will take pleasure in firing into a pond-protected postage-stamp of a green from 192 (blues tees) on 17. Course managers will enjoy their options on 18, where following the fairway leads to a lengthy approach, but the safety of flat ground; coming up short attempting to cut the corner can leave you firing from thick rough in a series of grass bunkers.

You don’t have to be a monster off the tee to have a good round here. I shot an 89 from the blues using a 6 iron (averaging about 185-190) from the tee pretty much all day (largely due to the fact that my 5 iron broke yesterday and I was playing with a 2nd degree oblique strain which left my woods stranded in my bag). I was forced to lay up on #2 rather than clear the creek (but another 6 iron put me within 100 yards, so I didn’t feel compromised by this), but other than that I really didn’t feel that there were any holes I couldn’t play at least to a bogey. I could have played much better, but I had arguably the worst putting day of my entire trip and was generally average at best around the green.

The course goes from 5752 (whites) all the way out to 7259 (blacks), so there are tee boxes for just about every level of player. I played the 6718 blues (72.5/140). It also mixes a links feel on the front 9 with a parkland woods feel on the back, so bring both your grass and tree jokes, you’ll get to use them all.

On the topic of bunkers, University Ridge does one of the better jobs I have seen of keeping their bunkers very purposeful while simultaneously contributing significantly to the visual appeal of the course. Maintenance on the bunkers was almost flawless, as was the case with pretty much all of the course. I’m struggling to think of any component of the track that was want for attention. Additionally, I’ve played 39 courses in 39 states over the last 39 days, and this was the least “present” grounds crew I have experienced… pretty good for a course in such fantastic condition.

The pace of play was great; we played as a twosome, with a foursome playing behind us that was only about two holes back by the end (and actually caught us briefly on 12). We finished in three and a half hours. All of the groups that we saw coming in as we ate lunch after the round were one after the other, so the pace was clearly maintained throughout the morning.

With Cog Hill fresh on my mind, University Ridge was exactly what I was looking for, if you are looking for a test of your golf game that is largely gimmick free, it’s probably for you as well.

Like always, the course is in excellent condition. Great practice facility. Great price with the "Hot Deal" from GolfNow.

Always Fun

Always a Great Time and course is in Great shape and Staff is Awesome

Greens = Poor

I've played U Ridge plenty of times in my life and I really enjoy the layout and the challenge. Overall, the course is in terrific shape...but the greens were not good. They definitely were not up to snuff with some of other "nice" courses in the Madison area. Whatever they did years ago did not work, and in fact I think it made them worse. It used to just be a few on the back 9 had issues, but now most/all were in pretty rough shape.

Great Course to Play, Walk in the Park

University Ridge is near and dear to my heart. On Father's Day, June 21, 2009 with my son and his good friend and his father as witnesses, I aced hole number 3. 185 yds with a 21% hybrid.
The Course is a walk in the park or a cart ride, but is a beautiful layout and is home to the University of Wisconsin. Hosted several PGA Champions events, hosted by local hero, Steve Stricker.
One of my favorite all time courses....see above why.

Great day

I shot my lifetime low round-I am 74 years old and shot a 76

Course in Great shape

Fun layout and course was in very good shape.

Champions Tour conditions

We played University Ridge two days after the course hosted a Champions Tour event. The layout was in fabulous shape, and it was fun to play a course after watching how the old champs played it. The Ridge is a tough track, with narrow fairways, lots of traps, and many opportunities for both birdies and bogeys. The staff was super friendly, from the pro shop to the cart girl and everyone in between. I highly recommend playing URidge.

Great Golf Course

I have golfed here many times and would highly recommend playing here.

Wind & cold

Love the course, but it was just to cold and very windy! Even with layers to cold had to stop after nine. But paid only $11.00 with cart, so not a problem.
Thank you Golf Now for the great HOT BUY, hope to get it again!

Love University Ridge!

AS usual University Ridge did not disappoint! WE played an afternoon round because of the GolfNow great rate and got our round in just as it was getting dark. Greens were in decent shape and the overall course condition was good. They did a strange aeration on the tee boxes but it didn't affect play. Just a note, the GolfNow rate does not include the golf range or $5 off apparel certificate!

Verona, Wisconsin

Valid dates: Jun 18, 2019 - Jun 30, 2019
This package is based on double occupancy for a 1-Day/1-Night golf trip, and includes: one 18-hole round with cart, one night of lodging, and one breakfast per person.
Fling and Swing!