Bison Golf Club

Bison Golf Club
Green 72 6413 yards
White 72 5969 yards
Scorecard for Bison
Green M: 69.3/120 515 354 530 215 359 322 192 416 525 3428 193 337 182 348 433 337 164 365 626 2985 6413
White M: 67.7/116 505 321 488 172 321 315 168 392 479 3161 161 323 163 312 414 329 157 355 594 2808 5969
Black M: 65.9/114 379 321 488 172 321 315 168 392 405 2961 161 323 163 312 390 329 157 355 527 2717 5678
Red M: 63.8/109 W: 68.6/125 372 309 424 159 250 243 153 348 400 2658 146 314 145 274 384 309 144 302 522 2540 5198

Year Built 1961
Fairways Alaska Bluegrass
Architect Jack Snyder

Dress code No tank tops or cutoffs.

Great Golf

What a great time! Course was beautiful! Need to play it a couple of times to get pace of greens.A challenge, yet fair. Fairways are narrow so if you are wild off the tee...not the course for you. Can hardly wait to play it again!!!!

First timer

Played just before 8 on a Saturday. I left the course after 16 holes and 5 hours later. The course was in good condition, pace was obviously slow, course markings were poor along with cart paths.

Just ok

Has a lot of potential but the layout is weird and the clubhouse is a half mile from the 1st and 18th. If you only play 9 you have a 2 mile drive back to the clubhouse. Practice facilities are not good. Some really nice picturesque holes and some below average. Also the address on this site and google and Maps is wrong!!! Had to call to ask for directions.

Nice day on the course...

Husband and I played this course for the first time. The course was in nice condition with beautiful greens that played fairly quick. We both enjoyed the layout. We look forward to our next round here, when we will be a bit more knowledgable of how to maximize each hole. Definitely coming back for more.

Very nice jewel in the mountains

Great round, really enjoy the course especially with the new club house and course layout. We were joined by some unexpected spectators on hole 18. Two elk, watched as we finished. Lol

One of my favorites

This course is a great place to play in the white mountains. It is always in great shape, with some speedy greens after temps warm up. The new clubhouse and restaurant is a must.

Poor condition

Some fairways were unplayable because of aerating.

GOOD COURSE FOR THE PRICE

They've changed the arrangement since last year(same holes, different order). A new clubhouse and pro shop is very nice and all staff friendly. The course is in good shape and as always offers some good challenges with some narrow fairways. We try to play annually and are never dissappointed.

New layout

I have played Bison several times a year for the last few years. It's a wonderful public course that has been well-maintained, especially the greens, in recent years. It's affordable and you'll find challenges with some of the narrow pine tree-lined fairways. The greens typically run fast, which puts a premium on keep the ball below the hole and not short-siding yourself if you miss greens.

I write this review because Bison has a new layout in 2017 because they built a new clubhouse directly off Highway 260. The new facility is nice, especially the restaurant Buffalo Bill's Tavern. I did not not eat there, but the place looks nice and I've heard good reviews.

As for the course, it's the same, just re-numbered. After a lengthy drive from the clubhouse, the new opening hole is what used to be No. 15 -- a dogleg left Par-4. With this as the starting hole, it breaks up the consecutive Par-5s that used to make or break or rounds and leaves the new finishing hole as the former No. 14. it's a tough finishing hole because there aren't many options to go for the green in two and your layups require demanding and precise club decisions to avoid trees and hazard areas.

I've always loved playing Bison so the new layout doesn't bother me. However, for players looking to play a quick nine holes, this may not be your course. Starting on the new #1 has you finishing about as far from the new clubhouse as possible on the course. And if you start on the back-9, it's the same issue -- you'll have a very long drive getting out to your opening hole. And then there's always the drive back to the clubhouse from #1/18 tees anyways.

Logistically, it's not an ideal set up. But once on the course it's a lot of fun, I think. The playing areas are in great shape right now with super fast greens, especially when the morning dew evaporates. In thunderstorm season, always a good idea to try and get out early to beat these storms. And this course does get busy mid-morning with a lot of play.

I recommend it because I find it enjoyable even when I don't play well. Just know there are a few quirks to the new setup (and there were a couple smaller quirks to the old setup, too).

Pines

This course has loads of trees. Parts are narrow and hole 18 is a very tough finishing hole

Overall, we love this course and their beautiful new restaurant

Stunningly Inept Management and Staff

Absolute disaster on Monday, July 3rd. We arrived for our 10:40am tee time at 10am and see 20+ people with their bags standing around outside the proshop. We thought maybe they were all waiting for a bus after playing 9 holes or something, but it was due to the fact the course had run out of carts by 9:30 in the freakin' morning?!?!? So we proceed inside and inquire about the status or our tee-time and the guy behind the counter lies right to our faces by saying they're only 15 minutes behind or so and that some of the carts are go back in soon. If you run out of carts over an hour before your 1st wave of golfers is due back in (they don't start tee-times here until after 6:30...if they don't wander in way late), and your 9:30 group doesn't head out until after 10:15, then you have a much bigger issue. We drove our car down to the driving range and hit balls for 30 minutes and didn't see one group tee off at #1.

We ask the starter at #1 what was really happening and he said that a much bigger-than-expected group from the local RV park came into golf and used up a big chunk of carts and pushed everyone's tee-times WAY back. I'm assuming they have a special deal for this group which explains why they accommodated all of them and completely screwed everyone who came in with actual tee-times afterwards. We finally left a full hour after our scheduled tee-time and we were still at least 30 minutes from going out onto a totally packed course.

If the proshop had been honest with us and simply gave us the facts, we would have left and just come back 60-90 minutes later, but telling lies directly to our faces just illustrates how poorly managed this course has become. Just tell me, "we have a deal with XYZ and it pushed us way behind schedule". How tough is that!!?!?

It's a quirky, tight layout that is normally fun to play, but this event (and my local friend has told me of other recent stupid management issues) will probably keep me from playing again there anytime soon.

Pleasantly Surprised

Went up to Pinedale for the weekend and spent some time with the family up at our Cabin. I had been waiting to play some golf up here and was not disappointed. Range is really small, but the warm up area feels very personal. Your tucked away hitting balls between the tree lines listening to the wind blow through the trees. Absolutely Incredible. The course is actually in really great shape. Probably the best fairways ive hit off of. The greens were slick. There are a few greens that had some areas of concern, but they are fixing it. The ranger was awesome and friendly. He rides around with his beagle and is the nicest ranger i have ever met. The course has some forced carries makes you use a lot of different shots to get to where you need to be. There are some blind second shots as well, which make the course difficult on some holes. Fairways are narrow on some holes so tee shot accuracy is a must. Dont really have any complaints to be honest. Great course and i will definitely be playing every time i go up there during their season.

staff not helpful

we were held up over 1 hr from starting with no one going out for a 30 min period

mountain pine course

the course was in great shape and always a challenge as the back nine is cut out of the ponderosa pine forest. Had a very good experience.

super greens

Very windy on the day we played. I would really like to play it under normal conditions

Well worth the drive

Excellent golf course, well worth the drive from Phoenix. Plan to stay overnight ( at the KC Motel ) and play their other course, Silver Creek.

Valid dates: Nov 26, 2018 - Dec 31, 2019