Union Hills Golf & Country Club

Style Traditional
The golf course at the Union Hills Country Club is a championship course with a traditional layout. The course has been named one of the Top Ten Private Courses in Arizona. The design features four lakes and two winding creeks that create water hazards that come into play on a few holes. There are also several sand bunkers present. Some of the golf course's greens are elevated and the fairways are average sized in width. The signature hole is the par-4 14th hole, which requires a carry over water. Union Hills Country Club also has a putting green and full driving range for golfers to use.
Union Hills Golf and Country Club
Scorecard for Union Hills Country Club
Black M: 72.5/126 349 387 514 401 213 554 212 375 398 3403 512 391 146 408 382 219 558 395 495 3506 6909
Blue M: 71.1/123 346 384 506 395 210 526 173 348 399 3287 503 382 144 398 352 209 531 391 446 3356 6643
White M: 68.9/116 W: 75.2/127 334 360 479 372 188 512 170 328 379 3122 478 351 130 370 337 180 501 368 422 3137 6259
Green M: 67.4/112 W: 72.0/119 321 344 461 357 169 489 147 323 356 2967 458 338 120 345 318 170 458 346 397 2950 5917
Red M: 65.4/108 W: 70.4/116 308 344 430 357 165 434 137 305 300 2780 421 338 112 303 318 159 417 343 391 2802 5582
Gold M: 64.0/105 W: 67.8/106 302 300 425 322 162 434 133 301 300 2679 418 289 112 302 270 155 414 307 291 2558 5237

Year Built 1974
Architect Greg Nash (1974) Jeff Hardin (1974)

Carts Yes - $17

Practice Hole Yes

Credit Cards Accepted American Express, Visa, MasterCard, Discover
Dress code Collared shirt required, no denim

Great value, some staff need a lesson in customer service.

First time playing and overall we had a pretty good experience. The greens played fast. The course was pretty dry given the heavy rains over the weekend. The only negative was the attitude of the course Marshall. We have friends that have had the same experience with this individual. Overall we enjoyed ourselves and will definitely play there again, but hopefully avoid this one individual. The pro shop staff and cart staff were great!

Just had a wow moment

First time visiting this course and I would not recommend this course to them because of the way the staff made us feel. At check in I told the gentleman we were visiting the area for the first time and he said welcome now go home! What??? I wrote it off and my wife and I proceeded to play our round. Course layout and conditions weren’t the issue around sunset while on 18 the Marshall told us to pick up our balls that we were done. Granted it was getting dark but in playing golf for 40 years I can honestly say that has never happened to me. My wife was extremely upset with the gentleman and he never once apologized or offered an apology. We will not return. Nor should you.

Good value

Nicely designed course, greens are fast and true and tricky. Sandtraps very good. Fairways thin in spots. Range not good. Carts not clean.

Very flat course

It was a fairly average course. Very flat but the greens were a challenge.

sand traps and green slopes!

Many courses in the Country were designed for the very best players, but the majority of us are mediocre, if players are honest! If you watch the PGA tournaments the majority of greens the pros play on are fairly level, but on this course as on many others the greens are extremely slanted, and usually toward the water that may be near by! Today twice I chipped my ball on the green at least 10 yards in to have the ball turn and roll down the hill and into the water unable to retrieve it. that is completely unfair! Also, the Tee boxes are mounded from years of adding sand, So either your feet are above the ball or below it! Shows poor maintenance!

Played early so pace was fast. Greens were fast and consistent. Bunkers sand consistent. Overall layout very good. Employees were very nice. Very nice experience. Will definitely play it again.

Solid Value for mid-level track

Great course for start of golf trip to Valley of the Sun-

Course conditions were very good, greens smooth & rather quick. Not a high end venue but a worthwhile option. Played in a little over 3 hours-

My only comment pertains to the carts. Worn out and need to be replaced. Would not hesitate to play this course again. Staff was excellent and accommodating.

Frosty Union Hills was fun

Headlines: $30 is really good value; fair course set-up; good quick greens; good fairways; helpful friendly staff; not much in the clubhouse.

Sadly Jack Frost had got to the course before we did and there was an hour delay while the course thawed out. Nothing the club can do about that, but the pro shop folk were really good at keeping us informed on when we would start and even gave us some of their own coffee while we waited (the clubhouse bar didn't open til 10 am). Eventually our 08.07 start was at 09.20 as second group out.

Course was playing 90 degree rule for carts which is fair enough given the frost, but as usual is a bit of a pain for pace of play.

Overall the course is a fair layout, with no "tricked up holes" - play well and you'll score well. Fairways had good grass cover on a firm base. Greens are a credit to the greenkeeping staff - mid-sized with significant slopes, quick (11 maybe 12 stimp) and really true. A few old pitch marks - but sadly that's true of every course (what's wrong with some folk?). Just a few mud lies near greens where the water runs off and the overseeding had not been applied.

Bunkers were interesting. The fairway bunkers were very firm and shallow, but with plenty of sand, which meant that escape with longer irons or even woods was perfectly practical, but did mean that some shots rolled straight through and out of the hazard. Greenside bunkers had deep soft sand which could lead to plugged lies. Not sure if this is intentional design.

Off the course there's not too much to keep you. The clubhouse is ok. On the day we visited there was only "bar food" on offer which was very limited, although the wings were fine. The clubhouse staff were the highlight - really welcoming.

We are visiting from UK and this was our first round of the trip. We liked it and we'd play here again.

Awesome course

I totally enjoyed playing this course. Tees, fairways, bunkers and greens were all well taken care of and in great shape. Both average and good players will enjoy playing here as the tee setups would allow for the differences in ability. With that said, the Greens were very fast but fair because of pin placements. I played from the white tees and found the course to be challenging yet friendly enough to enjoy the round! I would definitely play here again.

Disappointed in course condition

We played this course several times a few years ago. We were very disappointed that the course appears to have been neglected. We played late in the day so the price was very good but we probably wouldn't play it again regardless of the fees. There are too many other choices.

Surprise, Arizona