Ken McDonald Golf Course

Golf school / academy: Yes - "The Core Golf Academy"

Dress code: Proper golf attire required.
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard Welcomed

Championship 72 6743 yards 71.5 125
Middle 72 6316 yards 69.6 118
Forward (W) 73 5782 yards 71.4 116

Located in the metropolitan Phoenix area, the affordably priced Ken McDonald Golf Course is a championship-length course that is suitable for any level of golfer. The flat terrain of the course makes for an enjoyable stroll, while the water hazards that come into play on eight holes provide plenty of challenge. The water hazards are provided by the Western Canal, which flows directly through the golf course. The par-5 11th hole is the longest on the course at 570 yards; it is very difficult to reach in two shots. In addition to the course, Ken McDonald Golf Course offers several other amenities including a restaurant, club fitting and repairs, and professional golf instruction.

Location is convenient to the city near the airport worth the drive   Great for locals walkers seniors   Challenges include bunkers water hazards narrow fairways   Great for drinks brunch 19th hole specials

raisshoot67's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/16/2018

Greens in great shape. Fairways good for this time of year. Excellent value.

Response from Ken McDonald Golf Course on 05/21/2018:

Hello raisshoot67, thank you for the four-star review, We are glad you enjoyed our course conditions and our affordable rates. Thank you for playing Ken McDonald Golf Course in Tempe and we hope to see you again soon!

"Great Course!!"

cschaeffer's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/13/2018

The course is great as well the service!! we enjoyed

CS

Response from Ken McDonald Golf Course on 05/16/2018:

Hello cschaeffer, thank you for the five-star review. We are glad you enjoyed our course and found our staff friendly. Thank you for playing Ken McDonald Golf Course in Tempe and we hope to see you again soon!

"A friendly place"

Provine's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/04/2018
Previously played Walked Perfect weather

I like Ken McD for its staff, the value for the money, the layout of the course, and the quality of the fairways and greens. It is challenging, without being daunting. And I can usually find my ball (and sometimes someone else's).

Response from Ken McDonald Golf Course on 05/09/2018:

Hello Provine, thank you for the five-star review. We are glad you enjoyed our course, our affordable rates, and found our staff friendly. Thank you for playing Ken McDonald Golf Course in Tempe and we hope to see you again soon!

"Great Greens"

TIMOTHY9140523's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/04/2018

The greens ran true. Overall great condition just keep it on the fairway.

Response from Ken McDonald Golf Course on 05/07/2018:

Hello TIMOTHY9140523, thank you for the five-star review. We are glad you enjoyed our course conditions, especially our greens. Thank you for playing Ken McDonald Golf Course in Tempe and we hope to see you again soon!

"Experience playing the course"

golfer847239847487's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/01/2018

What a nice surprise playing KM! Friendly and helpful Pro Shop and restaurant staff complemented nicely the excellent experience playing the course. The greens were in excellent condition and so were most of the fairways. However, the green side bunkers were so uneven that one wasn't sure which wedge to bring. The reduced distance range balls are OK but I longed for a ball where I could get normal flight conditions on both irons and the driver. I guess they have to use the reduced distance range balls given the emergence of long drivers in teens and young adults who hit regular flight balls over the fence at the end of the range into the boonies or near golfers playing holes on the west side of the range. One can see the improvements made in the last year which make playing KM a great value. We are fortunate to have such a nice municipal course where you can complete 18 holes in less than 4 hours. I will be back with friends!!!

Response from Ken McDonald Golf Course on 05/08/2018:

Hello golfer847239847487, thank you for the four-star review. We are glad you enjoyed our course, the pace of play, and found our staff friendly. We also appreciate your feedback on the bunkers and range balls. Thank you for playing Ken McDonald Golf Course in Tempe and we hope to see you again soon!

"Kenny Mac is very Forgiving"

CalvinSmove's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/25/2018

Every time I step foot on this course I feel honored to get to play the game of golf

Response from Ken McDonald Golf Course on 04/30/2018:

Hello CalvinSmove, thank you for the five-star review. We are glad you enjoyed our course and had an excellent golf experience. Thank you for playing Ken McDonald Golf Course in Tempe and we hope to see you again soon!

"Pace was slow"

mckmik1963's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/23/2018

They had a senior tournament that had just ended when we arrived. Some of them played another round and were slow. They have no ranger and it took us 4 hrs to play. The course was in good condition . The greens were hard and did not hold a shot..

I booked with golf now at a rate that was far cheaper than what the course offered, so if you play book it on golf now and save some money.

Response from Ken McDonald Golf Course on 04/26/2018:

Hello mckmik1963, thank you for the four-star review. We are glad you enjoyed our course conditions and we appreciate your feedback on the pace of play. Thank you for playing Ken McDonald Golf Course and we hope to see you again soon!

brett3060637's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/22/2018

Response from Ken McDonald Golf Course on 04/25/2018:

Hello brett3060637, thank you for taking the time to rate our course. We are glad you enjoyed our friendly staff, the pace of play, and off-course amenities. We also appreciate your rating on the course conditions, rates, and course layout. Thank you for playing Ken McDonald Golf Course in Tempe and we hope to see you again soon.

stbischo's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/22/2018

Response from Ken McDonald Golf Course on 04/25/2018:

Hello stbischo, thank you for the four-star rating. We are glad you had a great golf experience at Ken McDonald Golf Course in Tempe. Thank you for your business and we hope to see you again soon!

"Conditions moving in the wrong direction"

berg8624's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/21/2018

Played here in December, and it was the best shape I've ever seen it. Played here in April, and while the greens were still in great shape, there were lots of dead spots in/off the fairways and in some cases entire tee boxes nearly lost completely. Seems like the City of Tempe might be cutting corners to save a few pennies. The beer cart must have died, because they were using a maintenance vehicle with ice chests in the flatbed. The beer cart girl ran out of cups AND ice, so we bought hot Gatorades. Then at the turn, stopped to get some ice in the restaurant, where there was one waitress total who appeared to be having a bad day since she was running the whole place. Garbage cans overflowing on a couple holes probably because they are cutting staff to save a few bucks. Kenny Mac is still a decent value at $40 in the current conditions, but I'm hoping the City doesn't let this trend continue.

Response from Ken McDonald Golf Course on 04/25/2018:

Hello berg8624, thank you for taking the time to write a review of our course. We appreciate your feedback on the course conditions, beverage cart, staff friendliness, and garbage on the course. We escalated your feedback to the appropriate departments. Thank you for visiting Ken McDonald Golf Course in Tempe and we value your feedback.

"Pigs Playing Golf"

arphx's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/21/2018

I enjoy playing Ken McDonalds GC. Sadly there those who show-up thinking they can take their lunch at the turn on to the course and just through the trash near the small trash can. Following them, I made the effort to pick-up their trash and push it all down into the can before the wind would have blow it into the lake. Also if you're going to play our golf courses, make sure you wear golf attire, not muscle t-shirts when you don't even have muscles.

Response from Ken McDonald Golf Course on 04/25/2018:

Hello arphx, thank you for the four-star review. We are glad you enjoyed our course and we are sorry you had to pick up after the groups ahead of you. We also appreciate your feedback on the golf attire and etiquette of the other golfers. We escalated your feedback to the appropriate departments. Thank you for playing Ken McDonald Golf Course in Tempe and we hope to see you again soon!

"Great muni course, interesting layout."

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/20/2018

I keep going back to this course. The price is hard to beat. Course conditions are great. I play a lot of golf and this course is in better condition then some $60+ courses I play. Greens and fairways were in excellent condition. Traps actually have sand in them. Would recommend to anyone.

Response from Ken McDonald Golf Course on 04/25/2018:

Hello, thank you for the four-star review. We are glad you enjoyed our course conditions and affordable rates. Thank you for playing Ken McDonald Golf Course in Tempe and we hope to see you again soon!

RichardH5429835's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/18/2018

Response from Ken McDonald Golf Course on 04/20/2018:

Hello RichardH5429835, thank you for the five-star review. We are glad you enjoyed our course and affordable rates. Thank you for playing Ken McDonald Golf Course in Tempe and we hope to see you again soon!

brett3060637's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/18/2018

Response from Ken McDonald Golf Course on 04/20/2018:

Hello brett3060637, thank you for the four-star rating. We are glad you had a great golf experience at Ken McDonald Golf Course in Tempe. We also appreciate your rating on our pace of play. Thank you for visiting us and we hope to see you again soon!

"Great Course for the Money"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/15/2018

I used to pass this course up, however, the green conditions have improved dramatically over the last year. This is one my go to courses now. Best value of golf and good greens, low price!

Response from Ken McDonald Golf Course on 04/18/2018:

Hello, thank you for the five-star review. We are glad you enjoyed the conditions of our greens and our affordable rates. Thank you for playing Ken McDonald Golf Course in Tempe and we hope to see you again soon!

arphx's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/14/2018

Response from Ken McDonald Golf Course on 04/18/2018:

Hello arphx, thank you for the taking the time to rate our course. We are glad you enjoyed our affordable rate and friendly staff. We also appreciate your feedback on our pace of play, course layout & conditions, and off-course amenities. Thank you for playing Ken McDonald Golf Course in Tempe and we hope to see you again soon.

"Still a nice course"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/11/2018

Played this course as a kid, shoeless and shirtless, $1 for all you could play youth rate in the summer, in the 70s and early 80s. Still a nice course to play, a reasonable challenge for the average golfer. Great value. When ever I am back in town I try to play a round here.

Response from Ken McDonald Golf Course on 04/18/2018:

Hello, thank you for the five-star review. We are glad you enjoyed our course and affordable rates. Thank you for visiting Ken McDonald Golf Course in Tempe and we hope to see you again soon!

"Good muni"

rtwillard's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/04/2018

Good value course. Pace was not.

Cart beverage service, as usual, was non-existent. Promised to see us again on the back nine so we didn’t stop at the turn. No show. Seems mean spirited to me. 4 th time this year. Seems I would learn not to trust those in the beverage cart. Won’t again.

Response from Ken McDonald Golf Course on 04/11/2018:

Hello rtwillard, thank you for taking the time to write a review of our course. We are glad you enjoyed our affordable rates and we are sorry for the slow pace of play. We also appreciate your feedback on the beverage cart service and we escalated your feedback to the appropriate departments. Thank you for playing Ken McDonald Golf Course in Tempe and we hope to see you again soon.

"Great pace of play this time"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/01/2018

I have played this courses numerous times. This time was Easter Sunday. Tee time of 7:03 and we were off the course just after 10:00. Pace of play was awesome. Grass was good, fairways in good shape as well as greens and tee boxes.

Response from Ken McDonald Golf Course on 04/04/2018:

Hello, thank you for the four-star review. We are glad you enjoyed our pace of play and course conditions. Thank you for playing Ken McDonald Golf Course in Tempe and we hope to see you again soon!

"Surprising"

mohrling's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/31/2018

First time I've played this course. I found this course to be right on par with someone with my level of play. Not overly difficult but with just enough challenge to make it fun.

Response from Ken McDonald Golf Course on 04/03/2018:

Hello mohrling, thank you for the four-star review. We are glad you enjoyed our course layout and conditions. Thank you for playing Ken McDonald Golf Course in Tempe and we hope to see you again soon.