River Hills Golf & Country Club

River Hills Golf and Country Club is in Little River, near North Myrtle Beach, a Tom Jackson product that shows heavily-wooded, rolling terrain with elevation changes as much as 40 feet. Golfers won't encounter parallel fairways, but they will encounter fairways that weave through a series of homes, along with dogwood, maple, live oak, pine and cypress tees. They will also see quite a bit of water, though most of it is lateral.
Scorecard for River Hills
Teal M: 73.7/140 371 531 187 401 448 180 527 393 418 3456 394 572 190 394 429 165 368 526 429 3467 6923
Garnet M: 70.8/133 305 497 167 385 401 162 485 368 384 3154 365 548 185 366 404 137 351 491 400 3247 6401
Orange M: 68.0/119 W: 73.5/136 246 458 147 346 381 137 464 334 367 2880 317 512 111 323 354 108 327 454 333 2839 5719
Carolina Blue M: 65.1/112 W: 69.5/121 233 430 109 311 343 113 417 294 338 2588 263 457 90 224 299 83 270 397 308 2391 4979
Purple W: 66.7/111 200 380 90 270 302 103 387 260 290 2282 235 400 90 224 260 75 240 340 268 2132 4414

Year Built 1988
Fairways Bermuda
Greens Bermuda
Architect Tom Jackson

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in South Carolina (2017 #19)

Awesome Layout But.........

Greens were recently punched and top dressed. I'd give it a couple weeks to let them recover before venturing out here. But what a fun and challenging course! Accuracy is a must with bunkers, water and dog legs throughout. The front was a lot easier than the back with shorter par 4's and 3's. The back kicked my butt Carries over water, tight fairways etc.. The greens are all kidney shaped and smaller than what you'll find on most of the courses down here. The fairways were a little toasty with some bare spots(I just roll it on to some grass) and not much rough. I would give it 5 stars and a must play if it was in better shape. but it's been a rough winter down here. I'll definitely be back. I'm gonna give it some time though.

“challenging”

Nice practice facility with 2 greens and 2 bunkers and spacious range.

The course is very nice and really challenging.

Greens were medium paced. Not slow really, not fast either. Not like Farmstead where the greens are PGA style fast.

When I say “challenging”, don’t take it lightly. The course is very “shot specific” in where you CAN’T just break out your driver on every par 4 or 5 hole.

It’s very tight on some holes also as the fairways aren’t as wide as most other courses I’ve played in Myrtle.

Lots of dogleg holes also which forces you to dial it in for ball placement to setup approach shots.

Greens were nice and lots of subtle breaks to read.

Only negative point is the greens are SO SMALL. Again, challenging, as we were putting from the fringe/fairway 4 - 8 ft out from the hole cause there wasn’t room for chipping, or bump & run to the hole.

Out of 25 plus courses played in Myrtle area, these were the smallest I’ve played.

In short – Dial it in, and play the holes from the pin, back to the tee.

Can’t wait to play the course again.

Overall B+

Tee to green very good condition; tropical storm had rolled through 2 days before and the course was very playable and they let us ride on the fairways other than 2 holes. Greens in good shape definitely quicker than they look so keep it below the hole! Lots of water so hit your spots, or bring plenty of balls! Definitely will play again and recommend it to others.

Last round of my trip. Was a great morning.

7:30 tee time. First one out. Played in 3 1/2 hours. Paired me up with 90 year old Fred. Great guy, decent golfer. From my home state of KY. Course has plenty of trouble to get into. Plenty of sand, some water, some nice doglegs. Pretty much straight away, what you see, is what you get. Just hit it where you want and you'll be fine at this Tom Jackson designed jewel.

Spectacular layout and overall beautiful course

I am down on an annual golf trip to Myrtle beach with a group of 8. We thoroughly enjoyed this course. We played the course two days in a row, and although windy it was a very scenic course and beautiful layout. It is a little challenging and you need to be careful with your shot selections as there is a lot of water on the course, but it was a definite treat to play. Would recommend for any handicap.

Boston Advisor

Hidden gem

A great golf experience!! Staff was over the top fantastic!! Conditions were perfect. Course has a nice blend of long holes, some short ones a really thinking course. Had saw positive reviews about it before booking and they are right on point!! Put River Hills on the list of must plays!!!

Nice balance of holes-

Very nice golf course in excellent condition for early winter. Although we where limited to cart paths only my twosome was able to play in 3hrs 20 min. We teed of at 9:00 am and we where the second group out- they don't seem to get a lot of play in the early morning, I think this is due because they are on the northern end of MB. By the time we finished, most of their carts where already out st 12:30.The range had real grass and in very good condition. The greens where on the slow side , but very playable and rolled true. The lay out is well balanced with a good mix of holes with the par 5 standing out, especially 17. My only complaint is that this course is in a residential community and there are houses bordering almost every hole and I simply hate white stakes.For the most part , my driver stayed in the bag using it on six holes while playing from the Crimson tees (6,400 yds). I did have a great time and I recommend it especially with winter rates bellow 50.00.

Challenging course

Quality layout that will challenge any golfer. The conditions are good for myrtle beach this time of year. I would recommend this hidden gem of myrtle beach.

Challenging and Attractive Course

We arrived at the course on the previous day we played due to a common GPS error sending us to River Hills instead of Eagles Nest. Thankfully, this happened as the course was in very good shape for mid-March weather. The rough was dormant but the greens, T-boxes and fairways were well-maintained and green. The course has some challenging holes and would benefit from a golf GPS to navigate your second and third shots. The driving range was inexpensive and accessible. The small restaurant would benefit by an update to the food available to its golfers. Otherwise, we had a very enjoyable day.

Slow slow play

where do i start? November 20- 3 threesome. Starting time was set for 12:32 but we were let out early at 12:05 (finished round at 4:50).. Gentleman in pro shop was very cordial. Slow play was terrible having to wait on every shot. Course challeging and well maintained. Obviously this course was overbooked and based on other reviews on here this is not an isolated event. When I dropped off the rental cart I was asked by the young man cleaning the carts how did the day go. I responded we had to wait on every shot he asked when we started I told him and he basically told me I was wrong that we had started later. Then he said well what do you expect when there are so many golfers and well they are a business and need to make money. I walked away and told him they would not see us again. As far as the marshall well not sure why they had one he told us to slow down that there were seniors in front of us. Never again Just an aside we played 5 other rounds that week at other an played all of them in 4 hours with no delays.

perfect except for the fact our twosome got stuck behind a slow foursome on the back nine. Beautiful course well maintained.

Beautiful course. Lots of water making some of the holes a little extra challenging. would play here again next time we visit.

Great option in Myrtle Beach area

When I played this course in June 2013, I was blown away by the conditions of the course. It was in spectacular condition. And for just $39, it might be one of the best deals in Myrtle Beach area.

Best course I've ever played and I look forward to playing others in Myrtle Beach

Slow play a problem.

Played back nine first... Very difficult. At the turn a slow foresome was in front of us.... after two holes I quit.... Needed to finish the final nine in 2.5 hours because of other plans... Played two holes in 40 minutes.... Picked up and headed home. I like the course.... I HATE slow play.

Fantastic course.

It was fun playing this course as it is in excellent condition. The staff were very friendly and helpful. We will certainly return .

Great Round on a Great Course

Course was in excellent condition. Was challenging, but not too tough. Worth the money and a return trip - should get more praise that it gets.

Shots missing the green are very penal.

This course has a lot of water on it and if you miss the green you are either in the water or hitting from hard ground, there is no rough to speak off. The course has a lot of dog legs so many of the holes are not driver holes. If you are looking for a friendlier course especially for women, look at Willbrook or River Run on Pawley's Island.

Challenging Course with good value

I have played River Hills several times in the past. The course has excellent challenge with some great personality. Each hole is interesting and unlike any of the previous holes which keeps you thinking. You can't just "grip it and rip it", you have to think about how you want to play each hole which makes it a nice test. For average golfers like me, i found it to be very challenging but still fun. I will continue to play this course on every trip to Myrtle Beach.

Nice challenge

In great shape with plenty of challenge. Bunkers and water in play, so you have to be precise. Very nice layout.

Featured

Several holes will challenge the most avid golfers.

This is a beautiful course that will challenge the accuracy of your drive and you will have to use good course management to keep yourself out of trouble. I love some of the holes, like No. 4 that will test your skills as you hit your second shot to the green. Several holes will challenge every club in your bag. Love it!

North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina