Empire Ranch Golf Course is located just outside downtown Carson City in the scenic Carson Valley. Empire Ranch features 27 championship holes, making three individual nines that are played in three different 18-hole combinations. Sierra/River is one of the combinations, characterized by lakes and wetlands that are scattered throughout the course. The layout sprawls across the landscape’s natural buffs, offering a scenic environment. All of the golf courses provide a fair challenge for players of all skill levels. In addition to the 27 holes of golf, Empire Ranch G.C. also offers extensive practice facilities including a 300-yard driving range and practice greens.

Empire Ranch Golf Course

Year Built 1997
Architect Cary Bickler

Bar

Clubhouse, Banquet Facilities

Playing Multiple Courses 14

Course condition is pathetic

Overall condition was poor control of watering with SLOPPY areas throughout. Tee boxes mostly weeds of various types. Fairways extremely irregular with clumps of weeds, dry spots and mud spots. Greens were ok but Very slow.
Pace of play was very slow.
Price was low but given all the negatives As noted would not recommend and will not return

Commented on 09/29/2020

Hi, cpfkkf. Thank you for taking the time to review the course. We take single star feedback very seriously at our course. You are welcome to comment further or reach out to our team in the golf shop. We always appreciate the feedback. Thank you for playing Comstock/River at Empire Ranch Golf Course.

Good Value

Beautiful day and it played well (once we skipped around a slow two-some). Staff is always friendly and helpful (even the grounds personnel).

Commented on 09/29/2020

Thank you for taking the time to review us RenoTom. Your feedback is valuable, and we look forward to delivering you excellent service again soon. Comstock/River at Empire Ranch Golf Course thanks you!

Great value for the money, but the course needs TLC

I was actually quite pleasantly surprised for the price. The staff was friendly, the course was laid out nicely, and it was easy to navigate for someone playing for the first time. A few things were a bit frustrating, and I guess this is the part where you get what you pay for. First, the grass was so tall on the course and so in need of mowing, that I lost multiple balls on GREAT shots that went straight on the fairway and should have been a breeze to find. That was quite frustrating, to hit a great shot, spend a while looking for my ball in the middle of the course, only to have to play a new ball. I went through 10+ balls on the course, without hitting any truly egregious shots. And I saw tons of other people doing the same thing, riding or walking in circles, trying to find balls that should have been obvious, in very tall grass. So bring lots of extra golf balls if you play here. Another frustrating thing was that people without reservations kept cutting in. There were two guys who didn’t meet any dress code and had no reservation time who cut right in front of me. When I asked what time slot they had, they said “we don’t have one, whatever.” So that delayed my start time and pace of play which was frustrating. The staff in the pro shop was super friendly but definitely could have used someone out on the course. Overall though, this was the best price i’ve ever played a round of golf for, so I feel like I really can’t complain!

Commented on 09/30/2020

Hi RJTwo. We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. Thank you for the 4 stars! We aim for a 5-star experience, so we always welcome feedback for improvement. Thank you for playing Comstock/River at Empire Ranch Golf Course.

like the old days

The way courses used to be: no attitude, everybody friendly, including the other golfers, course is in fine shape and the greens are excellent. Every hole is different as they all meander along the Carson River.
Lots of history here, views are insane and so are the prices...my new favorite spot, hands down, and I'm an hour away. Very pleasant and relaxing, from the folks working there -great little restaurant too- to the course itself. Where have I been?

Commented on 09/23/2020

Hi tunatic. We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. Thank you for the 4 stars! We aim for a 5-star experience, so we always welcome feedback for improvement. Thank you for playing Comstock/River at Empire Ranch Golf Course.

Like playing in a marsh, rude staff

If these guys invested half as much energy into groundskeeping as they do being condescending jerks to their golfers this course could be a Wolf Run or Lakeridge. It was so wet on every inch of the fairways, just full of puddles and torn up grass which was made worse by golf carts. Just ridiculous how wet it was and while we were there they were still watering something, god knows what and why they thought they needed MORE water. We could have caught them on a bad day but that just didn’t feel like the case. Some of the tee boxes didn’t even have a spec of grass, they were just weeds and dirt. The tee times felt very close together and there were a bunch of doubles groups flying through the course. Why they wouldn’t just try to consolidate a few of those groups into 4 to space us out more is beyond me, especially on such a busy weekend. The staff were really rude and were not wearing masks correctly when indoors or talking to golfers in close proximity. They treated us like we were stupid when we’re fully aware of common course courtesy and know how to play. I would go back to pull on whatever sticks are up their butts but I might drown if I ever step on that grass again.

Commented on 09/02/2020

Hello, drloller. Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are sorry to see that your overall experience was anything short of 5 stars, but we hope you'll give us another try in the near future.

Pass until more rain

I wanted to really like this course, but other courses in the area are in better condition. Spend a little more and enjoy a quality game of golf.

Staff was excellent, but many things need improvement on the course. Maintenance has completely given up on taking bunkers. Many tees are mostly weeds. While greens are good, areas around greens are struggling—weeds are winning!

Picture provide the story.

Commented on 09/11/2020

Hi, u000003302779. We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. We are going to pass on your feedback to the teams in charge so they can work to make changes. Thanks for visiting Comstock/River at Empire Ranch Golf Course. We hope you'll give us another try in the future.

Course Needs Extra TLC

I am not sure it’s COVID -19 related vis- a vis the economy or a combination of several other contributing factors, but the course has not totally recovered from the last major storm damage (~ 3 years ago?) and lacks some urgent, constructive and definitive care and maintenance. Still a reasonably great TeeOff Deals but it’s not a $30 a round GC right now?

Commented on 08/12/2020

Hi u000005134607. We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. Thank you for the 4 stars! We aim for a 5-star experience, so we always welcome feedback for improvement. Thank you for playing Comstock/River at Empire Ranch Golf Course.

Commented on 07/28/2020

Hello, srid4072. Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are sorry to see that your overall experience was anything short of 5 stars, but we hope you'll give us another try in the near future.

Hidden gem

In today’s world of Covid-19, it appears many courses raised their rates to accommodate the loss of tee times in an hour to provide better social distancing. However, Empire managed to keep the green fees down and very reasonable in today’s world. The course condition was a little soupy due recent rain and there’s a few cancer spots on a few greens. Given the circumstances versus the price it was a good experience and I will return to play again

Commented on 07/22/2020

Hi u000006687482, we are so happy you enjoyed your latest trip to the course. We know things are so different right now and we are happy to maintain the same great prices you are used to. Thanks again and we hope to see you soon.

Great staff, poor course

The staff is phenomenal across the board. The course? Cart path is broken up in places, water logged fairways throughout that led to huge areas of no grass. Seemed like they might be short of mowers in several areas as well. Course lacks definition and don’t dare miss right or left or you are in another fairway. Unfortunately, the great staff isn’t enough to get me to return.

Commented on 07/20/2020

Hi, bopoppa. Thank you for reviewing the course. Let us first start by apologizing for the poor experience you had during your visit. Your feedback about the course is important to us. We are working to get everything up to par. We have projects ongoing to recover the fairways and greens. The current condition is by no means the standard we strive to achieve. We are going to escalate your feedback to our team so we can make improvements before your next game, and we will continue to work towards an excellent experience by using your comment for guidance. Thank you for playing Comstock/River at Empire Ranch Golf Course. We hope to see you again soon.

Good value, OK conditions, but slow play.

Have played here several times in the past two years, and the experience is pretty consistent each time (which is generally a good thing, as you know what to expect). The course is a good overall value for the fees charged, the pro shop staff has always been very friendly & accommodating, and the course is usually in fairly good shape (except for consistent drainage /wet conditions issues in the fairways of several holes, which is especially frustrating when you hit what you think is a good shot, only to see your ball get sucked up in a muddy bog mess in the fairway). Another gripe is the goofy course layout, which does not always flow logically from hole to hole, and is especially frustrating on at least 3 holes where it isn’t totally clear looking out from the tee box where exactly the green you’re playing to is located, so you’re also wondering where exactly you’re supposed to aim & hit your drive (hint: look which direction the cart path goes from the tee box - but sometimes that’s been laid out goofy as well, so good luck !) A final consistent issue here is the fairly consistent slow play overall, and lack of any visible rangers on the course - which can also make for a frustrating round, especially when lazy idiot cart drivers literally drive up & park right next to the greens and flatten the grass, like parking on the cart path and walking an extra 15 yards is going to kill them. But all in all it’s a fairly priced good value and worth a try, as long as you know what to expect.

Commented on 07/17/2020

Thank you for visiting us at Comstock/River at Empire Ranch Golf Course. We appreciate your 4-star rating and review. We hope you join us for another round soon.

The first 9 holes were great

view of course was great and first 9 holes were in good shape. However some of the greens were slightly brown and fairway different grasses. Layout in the back had you drive around and not orderly. Also too many singles. We teed off ( 3 players) after a couple of players then a single and behind us were 2 other singles. Couldn't understand why they did not group the singles. BIT FRUSTRATING

Commented on 07/15/2020

Hi Mybirdie1, thank you for the review. It's great to hear you enjoyed your round at the course. We understand your frustration with course conditions and other players on the course. We will share your feedback with the rest of the team so we can improve the course experience. We hope you'll give us another visit soon.

Commented on 07/13/2020

Hello, u855240021. Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are sorry to see that your overall experience was anything short of 5 stars, but we hope you'll give us another try in the near future.

Best value around

This is the best value around.
Pace of play-3 people 18 holes-3 hrs 20 min.

And we played with the eagles and hawks.
But be careful the geese guard the par 3’s. Haha

Commented on 07/08/2020

Your feedback is important to us, 10edraper20. Thank you for sharing your 5-star experience. We look forward to seeing you again at the course soon! Thanks for choosing Comstock/River at Empire Ranch Golf Course.

Always a good time!

This is the best value in the area! And the best valley too. What a great course for a relaxing round.
Thank you.

Commented on 07/07/2020

Commented on 07/09/2020

Hi, JulianWarne. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your time at Comstock/River at Empire Ranch Golf Course. We look forward to seeing you at the course soon for another 5-star experience!

A great course for a relaxing round.

For the money, this is a great little course, in a great relaxing setting-trees, wildlife, very pleasant.

Commented on 06/25/2020

Hi 10edraper20. We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. Thank you for the 4 stars! We aim for a 5-star experience, so we always welcome feedback for improvement. Thank you for playing Comstock/River at Empire Ranch Golf Course.

Reward

If there is a contact number or email address to write to, you’ve sure hidden it well on this site. I’ve tried for two days to contact you because I’m not seeing my $20 reward for the DADSDAY promo for booking my tee time for today. Can someone please help with this? I See references to “Call us” and I cannot find a phone number anywhere?!?
Thanks!