Long Bay Club

The Long Bay Club boasts a Jack Nicklaus Signature design that is consistently ranked as one of the top golf courses in South Carolina, a major accomplishment when you're competing with golf destinations such as Hilton Head and Kiawah Island. The landscape showcases the beauty of the Lowcountry with forests of pines, dogwoods, and maple trees divided by clear blue streams. The golf course design closely mimics the natural contours of the terrain but there are also countless large, man-made mounds that were seamlessly sculpted into the surroundings. It is considered one of the toughest golf courses on the Grand Strand. Golfers will face numerous bunkers that are seemingly bottomless as well as vast waste areas. The signature hole is the par-4 10th, which features a u-shaped waste area that completely surrounds the fairway and then crosses in front of the elevated, contoured green.
Scorecard for The Long Bay Golf Club
Black M: 74.6/139 408 568 401 472 182 394 543 179 370 3517 352 552 443 156 432 492 433 203 445 3508 7025
Blue M: 72.5/134 386 538 377 443 166 377 507 166 357 3317 327 520 408 140 404 463 408 194 412 3276 6593
White M: 70.0/131 377 524 364 419 149 363 485 147 327 3155 315 498 375 123 376 449 380 170 368 3054 6209
Gold M: 68.2/127 W: 73.5/130 367 491 337 382 136 319 432 121 318 2903 284 467 353 121 327 426 348 158 328 2812 5715
Red W: 69.5/111 287 453 295 346 104 295 424 98 208 2510 252 432 284 86 304 370 288 146 272 2434 4944

Year Built 1989
Architect Jack Nicklaus (1989) Craig Schreiner

Single Allowed Yes

Poor Conditions - Not recommended

If this Jack Nicklaus designed course was played by Jack, he'd be very disappointed. As we came to understand, most of the courses in the MB area were hit with a bad freeze over winter which apparently resulted in greens getting beat up and dried out. Long Bay's greens were definitely affected, but the condition of the rest of the course was also poor. We played 6 MB courses on this trip and this was by far the worst, unfortunately. I would not recommend playing this course until conditions improve drastically.

I'd play again!

Like many of the other founders courses in the MB area this course is consistent. Fairways, greens in good shape and rolling well. My only complaint is while there was rangers, they did not push the pace of play. We constantly waited for a group in front of us, and it was open in front of them.

Very nice. Very wet.

Weather was good, but they had lots of rain prior to my round. Cart path only. Wasn't a problem, but course was extremely soggy. NO roll. Balls plugged. Joined the golf pro and mang. Joe, and employee Charles, on the back nine. Very nice gentlemen. Great players, and very helpful with course knowledge. All and all, a great day. Pace was great. Course is hard enough. Will be back when course dries out.

A challenge

Great course. It's all about the green complexes here. Your approach shots have to be precise. This is a way of saying that Long Bay kicked my butt. Good fun, nonetheless.

Great conditions - challenging greens

First group out, 8:00 am on a beautiful day for golf. Bag drop staff must not have had their morning coffee - generally grumpy and marginally helpful. Pro shop staff and everyone else was great.

$5 for a range token - range was a bit shaggy, but the TM range balls were reasonably new. Putting green in great shape - speed was true to greens on course.

Course was in excellent shape throughout. Only shortcoming was depth and consistently of sand in greenside bunkers - several looked like they had not been groomed for a few days. Not too challenging off the tee, but approach shots were made difficult by bunkers, smallish greens with multiple levels, and lack of hold. Appproaches not coming in high will not hold. Typical Nicklaus? Approaches made even more difficult by lack of reflectors on flagsticks. What course doesn't have reflectors in 2017?

Greens might not have held well, but they rolled consistent, smooth and true.

Interesting that the #10 hole (pictured) looks strangley ordinary from the tee - the waste areas down both sides are barely visible from the tee.

Lots of houses and associated OB, but you only feel cramped on a couple of holes.

I've driven by Long Bay at least 30 times on previous visits to Myrtle Beach. Glad I got to catch it in premium condition on a perfect day - and at a great rate. Just needs some new flagsticks.

A great stop on the way to Myrtle Beach

Excellent course for a great value. The course was in excellent condition for this early in the season. The only thing I would say is that the greens were a bit slow. They were in perfect condition, but needed to be rolled or cut to speed them up. We found ourselves over-putting, but the rolls were true and there were absolutely no imperfections. Fairways were excellent, and layout demands precision golf. No hole is really unfair, but lots of undulations throughout each hole will challenge ball placement. Will definitely play again!

Worth the drive won't disappoint

I really enjoyed my round staff were very friendly. Stayed after round to grab a bite to eat food was very good and reasonably priced. Pace of play was excellent. Another track that I will return to play on my next visit.

New Hampshire Advisor

Excellent.

Another great course in well above average condition. NIcklaus designs similar green complexes to Dye, but not quite as sadistic. Still very punishing if your approaches are off a bit. Smallish, slightly elevated greens that putted true. Play to the center of these small greens regardless of pin location and you'll score best. Consider where you absolutely can't miss it and play very conservatively, avoiding those areas at all costs because if you miss it in wrong place on many of the holes not only won't you make par you'll have to work to make bogey. I'd rate the fairways a 9, greens rate a 9 and rolled about a 9.5 on stimp. Overall it's a great layout that rewards good, high iron play. If you don't hit it particularly high with plenty of spin consider playing very conservatively into the greens if you want any chance of shooting anywhere near your handicap. I look forward to playing this again on a nice warm day. Nicklaus seems to design courses where a high fade is handy - no surprise I guess since that's what he hit.

Great winter golf

Played Long Bay with my 3 sons. Back tees were all you could handle (7 handicap). Course was in great shape for February. Staff was very friendly and helpful, pace of play was as fast as you could play. Great experience, will come again soon !

Jack needs to do some work here

The course is a swamp. Several weeks after the hurricane and it was so saturated that it was almost unplayable.

I'm not quite sure how this can still be called a Jack Nicklaus Signature Course. His reputation is usually that with his name, you get a very good course. Not the case here.

I expect more from a signature course

I had played this course several years back and decided to play it again on my most recent golf trip to myrtle beach and have to say I have been disappointed both trips. The layout and design of the course is great but when Jack's name is on it you would expect excellent conditions and they are far from that. Dead spots on tee boxes and fairways and the greens were horrible with lots of dead spots and burnt areas. They were sand covered and very very slow. I usually don't complain about slow play in a area like myrtle beach because I understand they are busy but our threesome was put behind 3 threesomes of senior ladies who played very slow and no rangers were on the course so it took us 2 hours and 45 minutes to play the front nine. thank god they only played 9 holes. Then after the round I left my yeti coffee tumbler in the cart that I had my morning coffee in we had walked our clubs to the parking lot and realized I had left it. I returned to get and the cart boy said he hadn't seen it. I guess he needed more then I did. Anyway my second trip to this course will be my last.

Poor condition

It was my first time playing long bay, and I won't say it will be my last because the Jack Nicklaus design warrants another chance, but the course was in very poor condition. I called the day prior to playing to ask about the condition of their greens as I heard they recently had problems with them. The person in the pro shop assured me all 18 greens were in great shape and fully functional. After the first hole it was clear the greens were not in good shape as they had dead patches and sandy areas. It only got worse after that as some of the greens had recently been sanded. With the combination of sanded greens and dead spots it was clear the guy in the pro shop lied to me. The greens aside the overall condition was still mediocre at best with dead spots in the fairways and washed out bunkers. In addition, the cart paths were in awful condition and several times we were forced to drive in alternate areas to avoid the cart paths. The course design is neat, but myrtle beach has better course designs to offer and ultimately I would only come back if the course condition improved drastically.

Excellent conditions

I find it very interesting how reviews of golf courses vary at different times of the year. I had heard about problems at Long Bay earlier in the year but when we played here at the end of August...it was pristine. The course was in excellent shape. The greens were the best we played on all week...rolled smooth and true and moderately fast for summertime in Myrtle Beach.

Great course.....awful playera

It's no wonder golf has a pace of play issue. 55 minutes to play to first nine and then 65 minutes to play 4 holes on the second nine!!!!! Guys if you just have to play a fivesome at least make sure somebody in your group knows how to play GOLF! Love the course, great staff, excellent facilities and a real challenge. Sure hope a fivesome is not the norm!!

Premium golf course should have premium conditions

I don't like to issue a bad review on any golf course but when a course is advertised as a premium course, golfers expect premium conditions. This is what you should expect from a course bearing the Nicklaus name. I play golf on Grand Strand courses almost every day and was very disappointed in the condition of Long Bay compared to the other courses in the area. It was a Tuesday and looked like the fairways were not mowed for several weeks, the greens were bare and putted poorly. When we reached our 10th hole (the first hole) the sprinklers popped on in the middle of our backswing and next thing were knew we were being followed by a maintenance crew dispensing some chemical on the fairways. The GPS in our cart shutdown after the first hole and an error message read the system could not find the course. After several reboots, we gave up.

Very nice course

Course was in excellent condition. There are lots of bunkers which make the course challenging. Some bunkers had not been raked by the golfers - maybe more rakes around the bunkers would help. Women's tees are fair. We have always enjoyed this course. We will be back and would recommend to others.

Phenomenal Layout

Being a Jack Nicklaus design, you expect a great course and that's exactly what you get. Every hole is different and tests your game in different ways. The course doesn't drain very well at all and with all the rain the area had seen in the weeks leading up to our round it was very wet but the greens were still relatively fast. There are also a few waste bunkers throughout the course which make it interesting. The course's 10th hole is the signature hole where the fairway is practially an island surrounded on all sides by waste bunker and it's a very fun hole. There are, however, numerous holes that are just as great as the signature 10th. I really liked the par-3 13th with the beautifully manicured island green or the par-4 18th the doglegs around a large pond with the clubhouse behind the green. It's a good half hour from the heart of Myrtle Beach but it's definitely worth the drive and I absolutely recommend Long Bay.

Great value

Course was in very good condition, as were the greens. Bunkers could have been in better shape but I guess MB has had a lot of rain. Starter was very friendly and informative. Would go back there anytime.

Typical Nicklaus course: Long, undulating greens, all well maintained and in excellent condition

If you don't like to be challenged by a golf course you should stay away from Long Bay. Long, with large undulating greens makes for a challenging round. A real joy to play.

Course has a great layout but green were just aerated. Greens were horrible.

Nice layout but just aerated greens were horrible. Also treating the greens with chemicals during prime time seemed like poor course mgmt.

Valid dates: Nov 26, 2018 - Dec 31, 2019