Year Built 1996
Greens Penn G2
Architect Dan Maples

Walking Allowed No
Dress code Regular Golf Attire

VERY DISSAPOINTED!!! WHAT A SHAME!!

We chose this course as our first course to play on a week long golf vacation in Myrtle Beach. We were very disappointed. Course conditions were awful. Greens were some of the worst we've ever seen here in Myrtle Beach. Even though the layout was very nice, It just looked as though nobody cared about this course anymore, as if they had just given up for whatever reason. What added insult to injury is that we could have played one of the more higher end courses for just a few dollars more.. Don't waste your time or money.

Great Value

Course was in very good shape and enjoyed the layout. Length from the regular tees was a bit long for me but my 20 year old son and wife both enjoyed the generous fairway landing areas. Water was around but rarely in serious play. Greens were well kept.

The sandwich and two drinks inclusion (beer option too) was appreciated, particularly given that it wasn't set up as a ploy to get you to buy more food. We took drinks at the turn then a sandwich and another drink after the round.

Play was a bit slow and there wasn't any marshal to be seen. Still we finished in just under 4 hours and 45 min so difficult to complain.too much.

Club house was interesting. Needs a bit of TLC to make it a 5 star. Outdoor patio area was closed. Staff very helpful and friendly.

A Go to Course

Everywhere I travel regularly I have a go to course, this is my go to when in the Myrtle Beach area. It does not disappoint. Paid $49 for the round. This did not include range balls ($4) but did include a sandwich or two hot dogs, chips, and 2 drinks. So its a good deal for the money. It was a windy morning so the course was not very crowded and the staff was overly friendly. They sent me out on the back by myself and I played at a very comfortable pace. The course is in GREAT condition other than a few wet spots from the extremely wet fall and winter the southeast has experienced. Tees, fairways, and primary cut of rough were green and very nicely overseeded. Greens were in really good shape and the ball rolled really smooth and at a good pace. The course is a links style course except for the last 3 holes, so there is alot of room to hit and find your ball. But the course is sneaky hard and you have to be in the right part of the greens to have a chance to 2 putt. Its fun and challenging but it wont just beat you up and spend all day looking for your golf ball. The clubhouse is a little old and could use a little maintance (rust around the sinks in the mens room) and to me the last 3 holes dont find the character of the course. Holes 1-15 are links design while 16-18 are more like its sister course Man of War with water in play on every shot. However, I really like the course, and if you are in the area is worth a play for sure.

Good Course. A little tired.

Just for finished a round at the Wizard on a sunny but cold windy day. The course wasn’t crowded so I was sent out as a single and played at a leisurely pace. Caught a foursome at 9. But took me time and still made it around in about 3 hours. The course itself is great. Fairways and tees are over seeded. And the greens are great. Very smooth and roll pretty fast. It’s a really fun course set up for the most part as a Scottish or Irish highlands type course. It’s pretty open off the tee and for 16 holes few water hazards. There are some interesting doglegs and a good mix of shorter and longer par 4s. As others have mentioned the last 3 holes don’t fit the course character. As they have a huge pond or small lake in play and are more designed like their sister Course next door-Man of War. Also as others have mentioned the course is a little tired. The flags were ragged. The cart path is busted up. However these are minor problem in my opinion since the course is so much fun to play and in great shape. Also with your round you get lunch and 2 drinks. The staff is very friendly. All in all it’s worth your time to play. It’s always on my list when I’m in the area.

Decent course, but nothing special

First off, EVERYONE working -- from the greeter/bagman, proshop attendant, starter, to (and especially) the ranger were GREAT. Friendly and very welcoming -- seemed to genuinely appreciate us being there.

Got there early, and starter was very accomodating in getting us off early. Played as a twosome and course was busy, so we expected it to be slow -- but it was REALLY slow. Ranger saw that, saw a gap in the lineup, and moved us from #2 over to #6 where we could play at our own pace -- and encouraged us to not only go finish numbers 3-5 when we got off 18, but to feel free to play 1 and 2 over as well if we wanted to. Eventually, of course, we caught up to some slower groups again, but played a good share of the round at a reasonable pace. He seemed genuinely concerned that we have a good time.

The course, honestly, is nothing special -- don't mean to be too negative, as it's still a good course, but nothing really stands out as memorable. Played their "sister" course (The Witch) a few years ago, and enjoyed that one a lot more. In decent condition, and without surprises -- you can pretty much see what's in front of you. Approaches to the greens were all pretty soft, so take enough club to carry the green -- the ball won't roll up.

Our THANKS to the course staff for making us feel welcome!

Unique course - Awesome golf day

My brother and I played this course in August and decided it was worth a replay. In both instances, we were not disappointed. Great greeting by the starter, very friendly and got the day off to a good start. We played the entire round without waiting. Course was a little wet, but was in great condition.
This is a unique course that mimics Scottish golf courses. I like that most of the holes are relatively easy to moderate in regards to distance and difficulty. We were a group of ages 59 - 62 and found the white tees to be manageable. We definitely have this course, as well as Man O War on our list to play when we visit Myrtle Beach.
The only down side is the lunch that is included in the price of the round. Having to pay $4 more to get a hamburger vs. two hot dogs or a cold pre-made deli sandwich seems petty.

Nice

Loved the course. Fairways, tees, greens, and traps all excellent. Course was slightly wet in some areas. Staff was friendly and cart lady was around often. Few of the holes are really well designed. #18 in particular.
spectacular hole nice done and yet easy enough to score.

Will Not return

First time playing the Wizard. I will not return. The conditions were wet, even two days after a rain storm. so, it was cart path only.

Eventhough it just rained a couple of days before, the course had the sprinklers on for some holes!

While bent grass greens are nice, they were spungy and ball marks everywhere. The sand traps were terrible! It looked like they had not been attended to for at least a month. Virtually unplayable! Most had little or no sand. They were essentially hardpan.

I've played more than 25 courses in the Myrtle Beach area, The Wizard is NOT worth the money, even with their three play special. Man other courses in great condition to play for the same or less money.

Great Greens!

The Wizard and Man-O-War (both Mystical Golf courses) are the only courses in Myrtle Beach with real bent grass greens. What a joy the greens at The Wizard are to putt on as they roll firm and true. We play the Mystical Golf courses every spring. What a treat!

Cast a Spell

My friends and I have returned here year after year. Unbelievable course conditions. Truest greens you'll find in MB.

This course has no restroom except for the club house

If you haven't play this course you need to know the first 9 are a distance from the club house. We were told the rest room were out of order and were not getting fixed. The cart path are much to be desired.

This course is slowly slipping away

I've played this course 6 times over the years. It's been my favorite course in Myrtle. This year was different. They have completely lost 2 greens. Don't like rolling my putts on dirt. Listen, I know that golf is in a bad place, that no one is spending any money on course maintenance. At the same time I don't want to spend $130 on a round of golf to get pristine conditions. Am I asking too much to get a good course for $70. In this case I guess I was.

Wizard

Tee Boxes, Fairways are in excellent shape. There are a couple of greens that are not in great shape but very playable. Pace of play was good. The starter brought us out cold wet towels during the round due to the extreme heat. *** NICE TOUCH ***

The Wizard is well worth playing!

Have played The Wizard every year for past five years or so. Always love it and it was in perfect shape. Greens rolled true. Love the Scottish-style sod faced bunkers. Last three holes are a real strong finish to your round. Excellent!

Always a gem

Great time once again, course was in great shape and had a blast, as always.

What a Treat!

Played The Wizard, and it always amazes me how challenging and fun it is for a 6,700-yard course. What didn't surprise me were the great course conditions offered. Greens were immaculate!

Greta course to play with better players and newbies alike

This course exceeded my expectations! Guest services were great and so was the food!

Wizard is great fun!

What a blast to play. Wizard and sister courses The Witch and Man o War are the type of layouts one could play every day without getting bored.

One of the Finest in the MB Area

Always find time to play the Wizard when I'm in Myrtle Beach. The links styling is unique for the area and conditions are always superb.

Local Favoritw

Lucky enough to live here. Conditions of greens and fairways are looking very good with Fall coming. Man O War is one of those courses that if you play it often will make you feel and perform five shots better at most courses. Unless you are a very heavy hitter the par 4 second shots will test you. The 5's are reachable in reg., Water comes into play at inconvenient times but that makes it fun. Slope from the whites is 130 and it shows. You can pay a lot more around Myrtle and get much less. Next door is The Wizard sister course.

Valid dates: Dec 01, 2019 - Mar 01, 2020