1.5

The Wizard Golf Club

Year Built 1996
Fairways 419 Bermuda Grass
Greens Penn G2 Grass
Architect Dan Maples (1996) Michael Gleason (1996)

Walking Allowed No
Dress code Regular Golf Attire

Bar, Snacks

Clubhouse

Not Worth the Miney

I could not recommend this course. Course is nice and okay but not worth the cost. Too many other courses way better here in Myrtle and not as costly. The ladies bathroom on the course was a disgrace. I have never seen a bathroom so disgusting even on rest stops when traveling. Tried to talk to general manager about it. He could have cared less. Asked for the course pro they said he wasn’t there. Sent an email and got no response I am nit a visitor I am a local and my husband us a member. Very disappointing. Go somewhere else to play.

Save Yourself!

It too late for me, I’ve already paid $53 for a $15 golf course, but you can still save yourself and avoid my fate. Let’s start with the positive. The staff was very friendly, the tee boxes were generally in good repair and the pace of play was good because the local have all already been fooled. Now the negative. The course is in abysmal condition. First, I have been in town two days with no rain and yet the course is extremely soggy. The fairways are is fair to poor condition. The greens are atrocious. Large bare spots and a recent aeration make them unputtable. In fact, I gave up putting on the back nine. Even if the greens had not been aerated they would be unplayable based on the condition of the missing and existing grass. Finally not surprising, the roughs were in need of attention. This is the 2nd worst course I’ve ever played. Least you think I’m some kind of golf course snob, my normal home course is a fairly modestly priced county course, I just don’t want to see anyone else waste their money or time.

Always a solid play!

I play the Wizard every year on my winter golf trip to Myrtle Beach and it is always a solid play. The course is in great condition. Tees, fairways, were perfectly over seeded. The bent grass greens thrive in the winter and they were really smooth. Only problem I saw was that many of the green side bunkers appear to be lacking in sand. Just hard packed dirt. Need to put some sand in them. Other than that the course is in great shape. The majority of the course is a rolling links style layout. It’s pretty open and very fun to play. 16-18 however are more like its neighbor course Man of War with large amounts of water in play. Each round includes lunch and 2 drinks so that’s a good value. The clubhouse and cart path and some of that kinda stuff could use some sprucing up. But if your just looking for solid golf at a good price than play here.

VERY DISSAPOINTED!!! WHAT A SHAME!!

We chose this course as our first course to play on a week long golf vacation in Myrtle Beach. We were very disappointed. Course conditions were awful. Greens were some of the worst we've ever seen here in Myrtle Beach. Even though the layout was very nice, It just looked as though nobody cared about this course anymore, as if they had just given up for whatever reason. What added insult to injury is that we could have played one of the more higher end courses for just a few dollars more.. Don't waste your time or money.

Great Value

Course was in very good shape and enjoyed the layout. Length from the regular tees was a bit long for me but my 20 year old son and wife both enjoyed the generous fairway landing areas. Water was around but rarely in serious play. Greens were well kept.

The sandwich and two drinks inclusion (beer option too) was appreciated, particularly given that it wasn't set up as a ploy to get you to buy more food. We took drinks at the turn then a sandwich and another drink after the round.

Play was a bit slow and there wasn't any marshal to be seen. Still we finished in just under 4 hours and 45 min so difficult to complain.too much.

Club house was interesting. Needs a bit of TLC to make it a 5 star. Outdoor patio area was closed. Staff very helpful and friendly.

A Go to Course

Everywhere I travel regularly I have a go to course, this is my go to when in the Myrtle Beach area. It does not disappoint. Paid $49 for the round. This did not include range balls ($4) but did include a sandwich or two hot dogs, chips, and 2 drinks. So its a good deal for the money. It was a windy morning so the course was not very crowded and the staff was overly friendly. They sent me out on the back by myself and I played at a very comfortable pace. The course is in GREAT condition other than a few wet spots from the extremely wet fall and winter the southeast has experienced. Tees, fairways, and primary cut of rough were green and very nicely overseeded. Greens were in really good shape and the ball rolled really smooth and at a good pace. The course is a links style course except for the last 3 holes, so there is alot of room to hit and find your ball. But the course is sneaky hard and you have to be in the right part of the greens to have a chance to 2 putt. Its fun and challenging but it wont just beat you up and spend all day looking for your golf ball. The clubhouse is a little old and could use a little maintance (rust around the sinks in the mens room) and to me the last 3 holes dont find the character of the course. Holes 1-15 are links design while 16-18 are more like its sister course Man of War with water in play on every shot. However, I really like the course, and if you are in the area is worth a play for sure.

Good Course. A little tired.

Just for finished a round at the Wizard on a sunny but cold windy day. The course wasn’t crowded so I was sent out as a single and played at a leisurely pace. Caught a foursome at 9. But took me time and still made it around in about 3 hours. The course itself is great. Fairways and tees are over seeded. And the greens are great. Very smooth and roll pretty fast. It’s a really fun course set up for the most part as a Scottish or Irish highlands type course. It’s pretty open off the tee and for 16 holes few water hazards. There are some interesting doglegs and a good mix of shorter and longer par 4s. As others have mentioned the last 3 holes don’t fit the course character. As they have a huge pond or small lake in play and are more designed like their sister Course next door-Man of War. Also as others have mentioned the course is a little tired. The flags were ragged. The cart path is busted up. However these are minor problem in my opinion since the course is so much fun to play and in great shape. Also with your round you get lunch and 2 drinks. The staff is very friendly. All in all it’s worth your time to play. It’s always on my list when I’m in the area.

Decent course, but nothing special

First off, EVERYONE working -- from the greeter/bagman, proshop attendant, starter, to (and especially) the ranger were GREAT. Friendly and very welcoming -- seemed to genuinely appreciate us being there.

Got there early, and starter was very accomodating in getting us off early. Played as a twosome and course was busy, so we expected it to be slow -- but it was REALLY slow. Ranger saw that, saw a gap in the lineup, and moved us from #2 over to #6 where we could play at our own pace -- and encouraged us to not only go finish numbers 3-5 when we got off 18, but to feel free to play 1 and 2 over as well if we wanted to. Eventually, of course, we caught up to some slower groups again, but played a good share of the round at a reasonable pace. He seemed genuinely concerned that we have a good time.

The course, honestly, is nothing special -- don't mean to be too negative, as it's still a good course, but nothing really stands out as memorable. Played their "sister" course (The Witch) a few years ago, and enjoyed that one a lot more. In decent condition, and without surprises -- you can pretty much see what's in front of you. Approaches to the greens were all pretty soft, so take enough club to carry the green -- the ball won't roll up.

Our THANKS to the course staff for making us feel welcome!

Unique course - Awesome golf day

My brother and I played this course in August and decided it was worth a replay. In both instances, we were not disappointed. Great greeting by the starter, very friendly and got the day off to a good start. We played the entire round without waiting. Course was a little wet, but was in great condition.
This is a unique course that mimics Scottish golf courses. I like that most of the holes are relatively easy to moderate in regards to distance and difficulty. We were a group of ages 59 - 62 and found the white tees to be manageable. We definitely have this course, as well as Man O War on our list to play when we visit Myrtle Beach.
The only down side is the lunch that is included in the price of the round. Having to pay $4 more to get a hamburger vs. two hot dogs or a cold pre-made deli sandwich seems petty.

Nice

Loved the course. Fairways, tees, greens, and traps all excellent. Course was slightly wet in some areas. Staff was friendly and cart lady was around often. Few of the holes are really well designed. #18 in particular.
spectacular hole nice done and yet easy enough to score.

Will Not return

First time playing the Wizard. I will not return. The conditions were wet, even two days after a rain storm. so, it was cart path only.

Eventhough it just rained a couple of days before, the course had the sprinklers on for some holes!

While bent grass greens are nice, they were spungy and ball marks everywhere. The sand traps were terrible! It looked like they had not been attended to for at least a month. Virtually unplayable! Most had little or no sand. They were essentially hardpan.

I've played more than 25 courses in the Myrtle Beach area, The Wizard is NOT worth the money, even with their three play special. Man other courses in great condition to play for the same or less money.

Great Greens!

The Wizard and Man-O-War (both Mystical Golf courses) are the only courses in Myrtle Beach with real bent grass greens. What a joy the greens at The Wizard are to putt on as they roll firm and true. We play the Mystical Golf courses every spring. What a treat!

Cast a Spell

My friends and I have returned here year after year. Unbelievable course conditions. Truest greens you'll find in MB.

This course has no restroom except for the club house

If you haven't play this course you need to know the first 9 are a distance from the club house. We were told the rest room were out of order and were not getting fixed. The cart path are much to be desired.

This course is slowly slipping away

I've played this course 6 times over the years. It's been my favorite course in Myrtle. This year was different. They have completely lost 2 greens. Don't like rolling my putts on dirt. Listen, I know that golf is in a bad place, that no one is spending any money on course maintenance. At the same time I don't want to spend $130 on a round of golf to get pristine conditions. Am I asking too much to get a good course for $70. In this case I guess I was.

Wizard

Tee Boxes, Fairways are in excellent shape. There are a couple of greens that are not in great shape but very playable. Pace of play was good. The starter brought us out cold wet towels during the round due to the extreme heat. *** NICE TOUCH ***

The Wizard is well worth playing!

Have played The Wizard every year for past five years or so. Always love it and it was in perfect shape. Greens rolled true. Love the Scottish-style sod faced bunkers. Last three holes are a real strong finish to your round. Excellent!

Always a gem

Great time once again, course was in great shape and had a blast, as always.

What a Treat!

Played The Wizard, and it always amazes me how challenging and fun it is for a 6,700-yard course. What didn't surprise me were the great course conditions offered. Greens were immaculate!

Greta course to play with better players and newbies alike

This course exceeded my expectations! Guest services were great and so was the food!

Public/Resort