Wizard Golf Course, The

Regular 71 6138 yards 69.1 121
Seniors 71 5547 yards 66.3 108
Ladies 71 4972 yards 71.2 121
Scorecard for Wizard
Championship M: 71.7/129 569 186 405 181 398 208 568 414 392 3321 367 510 167 408 518 405 424 180 421 3400 6721
Regular M: 69.1/121 534 147 379 149 364 173 534 376 356 3012 338 479 138 372 485 369 396 155 394 3126 6138
Senior M: 66.3/115 486 128 332 126 342 143 498 335 324 2714 312 442 113 343 458 330 339 138 358 2833 5547
Ladies W: 71.2/121 440 106 300 104 310 123 447 307 287 2424 297 409 94 301 432 296 319 116 284 2548 4972

Year Built 1996
Fairways 419 Bermuda
Greens Penn G2
Architect Dan Maples

Walking Allowed No
Dress code Regular Golf Attire

Good Course. A little tired.

Just for finished a round at the Wizard on a sunny but cold windy day. The course wasn’t crowded so I was sent out as a single and played at a leisurely pace. Caught a foursome at 9. But took me time and still made it around in about 3 hours. The course itself is great. Fairways and tees are over seeded. And the greens are great. Very smooth and roll pretty fast. It’s a really fun course set up for the most part as a Scottish or Irish highlands type course. It’s pretty open off the tee and for 16 holes few water hazards. There are some interesting doglegs and a good mix of shorter and longer par 4s. As others have mentioned the last 3 holes don’t fit the course character. As they have a huge pond or small lake in play and are more designed like their sister Course next door-Man of War. Also as others have mentioned the course is a little tired. The flags were ragged. The cart path is busted up. However these are minor problem in my opinion since the course is so much fun to play and in great shape. Also with your round you get lunch and 2 drinks. The staff is very friendly. All in all it’s worth your time to play. It’s always on my list when I’m in the area.

Decent course, but nothing special

First off, EVERYONE working -- from the greeter/bagman, proshop attendant, starter, to (and especially) the ranger were GREAT. Friendly and very welcoming -- seemed to genuinely appreciate us being there.

Got there early, and starter was very accomodating in getting us off early. Played as a twosome and course was busy, so we expected it to be slow -- but it was REALLY slow. Ranger saw that, saw a gap in the lineup, and moved us from #2 over to #6 where we could play at our own pace -- and encouraged us to not only go finish numbers 3-5 when we got off 18, but to feel free to play 1 and 2 over as well if we wanted to. Eventually, of course, we caught up to some slower groups again, but played a good share of the round at a reasonable pace. He seemed genuinely concerned that we have a good time.

The course, honestly, is nothing special -- don't mean to be too negative, as it's still a good course, but nothing really stands out as memorable. Played their "sister" course (The Witch) a few years ago, and enjoyed that one a lot more. In decent condition, and without surprises -- you can pretty much see what's in front of you. Approaches to the greens were all pretty soft, so take enough club to carry the green -- the ball won't roll up.

Our THANKS to the course staff for making us feel welcome!

Unique course - Awesome golf day

My brother and I played this course in August and decided it was worth a replay. In both instances, we were not disappointed. Great greeting by the starter, very friendly and got the day off to a good start. We played the entire round without waiting. Course was a little wet, but was in great condition.

This is a unique course that mimics Scottish golf courses. I like that most of the holes are relatively easy to moderate in regards to distance and difficulty. We were a group of ages 59 - 62 and found the white tees to be manageable. We definitely have this course, as well as Man O War on our list to play when we visit Myrtle Beach.

The only down side is the lunch that is included in the price of the round. Having to pay $4 more to get a hamburger vs. two hot dogs or a cold pre-made deli sandwich seems petty.

Nice

Loved the course. Fairways, tees, greens, and traps all excellent. Course was slightly wet in some areas. Staff was friendly and cart lady was around often. Few of the holes are really well designed. #18 in particular.

spectacular hole nice done and yet easy enough to score.

Will Not return

First time playing the Wizard. I will not return. The conditions were wet, even two days after a rain storm. so, it was cart path only.

Eventhough it just rained a couple of days before, the course had the sprinklers on for some holes!

While bent grass greens are nice, they were spungy and ball marks everywhere. The sand traps were terrible! It looked like they had not been attended to for at least a month. Virtually unplayable! Most had little or no sand. They were essentially hardpan.

I've played more than 25 courses in the Myrtle Beach area, The Wizard is NOT worth the money, even with their three play special. Man other courses in great condition to play for the same or less money.

Great Greens!

The Wizard and Man-O-War (both Mystical Golf courses) are the only courses in Myrtle Beach with real bent grass greens. What a joy the greens at The Wizard are to putt on as they roll firm and true. We play the Mystical Golf courses every spring. What a treat!

Cast a Spell

My friends and I have returned here year after year. Unbelievable course conditions. Truest greens you'll find in MB.

This course has no restroom except for the club house

If you haven't play this course you need to know the first 9 are a distance from the club house. We were told the rest room were out of order and were not getting fixed. The cart path are much to be desired.

This course is slowly slipping away

I've played this course 6 times over the years. It's been my favorite course in Myrtle. This year was different. They have completely lost 2 greens. Don't like rolling my putts on dirt. Listen, I know that golf is in a bad place, that no one is spending any money on course maintenance. At the same time I don't want to spend $130 on a round of golf to get pristine conditions. Am I asking too much to get a good course for $70. In this case I guess I was.

Wizard

Tee Boxes, Fairways are in excellent shape. There are a couple of greens that are not in great shape but very playable. Pace of play was good. The starter brought us out cold wet towels during the round due to the extreme heat. *** NICE TOUCH ***

4.2044714286