TPC Myrtle Beach

4.3202529412 4.3 stars from 5 (80)

• 1199 TPC Blvd, Murrells Inlet, South Carolina 29576, Georgetown County
  • tpcmyrtlebeach.com
Write Review

Year built: 1999
Architect(s): Tom Fazio (1999), Lanny Wadkins (1999)
Type: Resort
Greens: MiniVerde Ultradwarf Bermuda
Fairways: Bermuda Grass

Golf school / academy: Yes - "Dustin Johnson Golf School"

Metal spikes allowed: Yes
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex Welcomed

Great for a weekend splurge advanced golfers group getaways   Challenges include water hazards bunkers

"Great layout, terrible greens"

Norman5724586's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/30/2018

I cannot recommend to anyone to play this course under the current conditions. I was warned that the greens have suffered and was told that on a scale of 1 to 10 the greens would be a 7. Well that is a generous self review by the pro shop, the greens are more like a 2. Extremely disappointed in the greens especially since sizable sections have been removed and new sod has been put down. This change in green conditions has occurred since Memorial Day weekend when the greens were in good shape, just rolling slow. Don’t be fooled by the course name, the conditions do not equal the other TPC courses throughout the country.

"TPC, Must play course"

Rgreener77's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/01/2018
First time playing Used cart Hot weather

Like most of the other Founders club courses i've played TPC was solid! Good layout, good pace of play and good rolling greens and fairways. It was cart path only because of all the rain, which was a bit of a pain given the heat index was over 100. My only complaint was the lack of water on the course for the first 9. The beverage cart was broken, and many of the water coolers were empty for our first 9. If it's going to be cart path only on a hot day, ya have to make sure there is water out there.

"Standard Fazio"

JohnKMoore1's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/11/2018
First time playing Used cart Hot weather

It's above average Fazio and a TPC. With that, I felt like it met expectations and was fair. I wasn't blown away, nor disappointed. One critique would be that I did find it odd that this course is one of the top end facilities in MB and doesn't have GPS in the carts, though that's not really a big deal.

"Awesome"

P1R8GOLFER's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/28/2018

TPC Myrtle Beach lived up to its name. Course from tee to green was in absolute perfect condition.

"Kudos to the entire staff!!"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/27/2018

Played the TPS on 4/27/18 and the facility was in the best shape we've even seem. This was our fourth visit and the attention to detail was presnt at every part of the course. Congratulations to the entire staff and we look forward to returning next year.

"Once again, the best course in our rotation"

kfish64's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/08/2018

Just returned from our annual buddies trip to Myrtle Beach. We’ve had TPC as a regular course in our week-long trip for 3 or 4 years now, and each year it is EASILY the best conditioned and most liked of the courses we play, with Heritage Club a close second. This year, we played 6 other courses that had varying degrees of winter kill on their greens — some, just a bit; others were horrible. They’d all had what appeared to be hydro seed applied and rolled flat. We can’t fault the courses for what Mother Nature throws at them but it does beg the question: how did TPC keep their greens in such extraordinarily great shape? Though we froze on the day we played TPC (3C / 37F), everyone to a man (16 of us) raved about all aspects of the course — had it not been so freakin cold, and cart path only, we definitely would have played another 18. In fact, the course had drained SO well from the previous rain that most of us felt we could have taken the carts on the course. It goes without saying that the bunkers were a little muddy, but that was expected. Even then, they still weren’t as bad as other courses’ bunkers. And since it was SO FREAKIN COLD, there was almost nobody else on the course, relative to what it’s normally like. Once again, TPC MB set the standard for course conditions.

"Ol' Faithful"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/05/2018

Love everything about this course. As always, conditions were about perfect. Greens were a little slow by TPC MB standards (11 instead of a usual 13-14), but rolled true and consistent as ever. Everyone treats you like you are a pro for the day. We play this multiple times annually. Highly recommended.

"Can't Get Any Better!"

bgchap's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/01/2018

I’ve been playing Myrtle Beach golf courses for over 15 years. This was the best experience we've had. The conditions were perfect, tee boxes, fairways, rough, and greens. Highly recommended to play this course if you have an opportunity. We'll be coming back when we make our next pilgrimage from the north.

"The Best in Myrtle Beach"

fergee95's avatar
Age:  Under 25

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/29/2018

TPC as expected was in immaculate shape for our round. Played from the tips, the course was very challenging but well worth the difficulty and money. The fairways, bunkers and greens were in perfect shape, despite the harsh winter the south had. An amazing course and a must play for the serious golfer!

"TPC Myrtle Beach"

BubDillon's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/22/2018

TPC Myrtle Beach is in amazing condition right now! Partially due to the Dustin Johnson junior tournament a few weeks ago.

Played here to end a buddies trip as always. The course is fair if you play the correct tees for your skill level. Definitely a shotmakers course. Plan your hole by club selection and this course will not disappoint. Try and overpower this course and you will find yourself in trouble with no choice but to play for another shot. Several holes have forced carries and several 3 shot par 5's if played from a back tee.

Pace of play is getting better here, the first round played here several years ago was close to 6 hours, with a lot of waiting. The staff here have made leaps and bounds to speed up the play, this round was just over 5 hours but well worth the time.

"The Crown Jewel of Myrtle Beach north of Caledonia"

leelewis17's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/11/2018

Save for Caledonia this is the top course in the Myrtle Beach area. Immaculate conditioning for a course that sees so many rounds played. Staff worked hard to keep up pace of play, though the difficulty of the course still makes rounds creep above the 5hr mark even with an active ranger. Best greens I have played in MB area, and it is barely even close with the Stranz tracks. Excellent range with free range balls. I know it sounds weird to say that it is a bargain for the money, but if you are gonna pay 125-150 for True Blue and you can get on here for <100, it is a steal!

"Beautiful day at TPC!"

zbuechner4's avatar
Atlanta Advisor

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/01/2018

I’ve played a handful of TPC courses over the years and TPC Myrtle Beach is the quality of golf course that you should come to expect at a TPC property. The staff is very welcoming and want you to feel like a member. I had a few questions but they were answered before I could even ask them!

The practice facilities are stellar! The driving range is flat and has lots of flags to hit to. The chipping green is a great place to hone in your short game before a round. The course itself was entirely overseeded. The rough, the fairways, greens, all of it was a lush dark green color. Which is a nice change because most coastal courses use Bermuda which is dead and brown in the winter months. With that said, the rough is deep and difficult to hit out of so finding fairways need to be a premium here. The greens are firm and fast and have some false fronts and undulations so take careful shots into greens or you’ll quickly find your ball has rolled off the green. Overall, an awesome experience at a beautiful TPC facility. If you get a chance, take the time to play this course. You won’t regret it!

"Great Complex and Service!"

bigcubbiefan's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/04/2017

Booked as a single and actually played as a single on a very busy day. Fortunately on the 8th tee the ranger worked me around the course to avoid an extremely slow round. I really appreciated his efforts as he certainly did not have to do that for a single. I ended up playing in just over 3 hours. The first 7 holes took about 1:45. Service in the pro shop was excellent too. I love to practice and this is probably the best driving range I've ever used. Conditions were good and the layout is definitely PGA tour worthy. The fairways were wide enough. Chipping and pitching around the greens was very challenging. Overall the course was very nice and the type of layout I enjoy but did not really scream great course to me. After playing about 60 courses on the strand I'd rank this one in my top 10 but definitely not top 3.

"Great venue."

ribeyeman's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/23/2017

TPC excels in every way. From the drop off to the last hole, everyone was exceptionally nice and professional. Get there early, they have a wonderful practice complex, and complimentary range balls. We played early morning and the greens were not that fast. I'm sure they speed up later in the day. The course has some forced carries, plenty of bunkers, and a little bit of water. For the most part, very player friendly. Large landing areas, and large undulated greens. Great course!

"WORST GOLFING EXPERIENCE EVER!"

kahuna100's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/06/2017

Twelve of us teed off starting at 9:03A on the back nine. Handicaps ranging from 4 to 20. On the 4th hole we were already being told to pick up the pace. That we were 5 minutes behind. On the 6th hole, again being told we needed to pick up the pace and that we were a whole hole behind. Not holding anyone up, but behind. On the the 7th hole an assistant from the pro shop came out, told us we were playing too slow, and suggested having us play the par 3 17th, skip 18, play the front nine, then play the 18th last. AGAIN, we were not holding anyone up but, by the course's standards we were playing too slow. Then, one more time with 3 holes left, we were told we had 43 minutes to finish. Needless to say I felt rushed and it was the most unenjoyable round of golf I've ever played.

TPC Myrtle Beach is a challenging course. And with wide range of handicaps playing, you're going to have some good holes and bad holes. We finished in 4hrs 45min. We payed $114 each. To most, a lot to pay for a round of golf. A treat for the golf enthusiast.

As it turns out the staff was more worried about getting us off the course for they're afternoon tee times then they were about letting us enjoy our round at TPC Myrtle Beach.

"TPC at Myrtle"

starosny1's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/03/2017

The 18th tee off box is an insult to a day on the course. Only walking access where you have to walk back to it from mid fairway,

"Wonderful Overall Facility"

LarryNoli's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/27/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather

The practice facility may be better than the golf course-WOW! Seriously the facility was great-from the cart guys to the shop staff-to the starters. They all made you feel welcome to TPC/Myrtle Beach.We played with a father-son twosome and our wives got to go along at no-charge and we're our cheerleaders!! I played the whites while my buddy played the Senior tees. I putted poorly and I felt so guilty because those greens were pure! The greens rolled at about 10 and were perfect. There were a couple of holes where prior knowledge would make for a better choice off of the tee, but that is on me...not this place! Make sure you play it!!

"TPC Myrtle Beach – The Grand Strand’s 5-Star Treatment"

TheGolfinGuy's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/19/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather

Ever wonder that it is like to play a PGA Tour caliber course? Here’s your change, at the only course in Myrtle Beach to receive a 5-star rating by Golf Digest’s “Places to Play” – TPC Myrtle Beach

The Tournament Players Club in Myrtle Beach was designed by Tom Fazio with input from PGA Tour player Lanny Wadkins and opened for play in 1999. The course earned accolades quickly and the next year (2000) hosted the Senior Tour Championship, which was won by Tom Watson. Other PGA greats such as Gary Player, Ray Floyd and Lee Trevino have tried their luck against the complexities of the course.

From the tips, TPC MB measures 6,950 yards with a rating of 74.1 and a slope of 144. At 6,133 yards (72.5/138), the white tees will provide a formidable adversary for the average golfer without too much embarrassment or frustration. Ladies will find a challenge from the Red Tees at 5,118 (70.3/128). As always, pick the distance that’s right for you and have a good time.

Players weave their way through forests of red oak and pine, around Lowcountry marshes and picturesque wetlands on fairways as plush as carpet. Miss the fairway and you’re setting yourself up for a long day; the mounding and swales that sit on the periphery make for some tough play. Many fairways are tree lined, with ample landing areas off the tees. But trees aren’t all you’ll find out here; water comes into play on at least 11 holes, whether it’s a lake or wetlands.

The green complexes are worthy of praise all on their own. Most of the greens are elevated with subtle undulations – and fast. It’s not uncommon to have a putt with at least two feet of break during your round. Some of the greens are multi-tiered, adding to the necessity of a good putting game. The bunkers are well manicured; often siting several feet below the green.

In addition to a great golf course, TPC Myrtle Beach boasts some pretty impressive practice facilities. There’s a full length, targeted driving range, a short game area with sand bunker and a large putting green. No wonder touring professionals such as Dustin Johnson come here to practice in the off-season! I guess the fact that DJ has a golf school here would be a contributing factor as well!

There’s also a fully stocked pro shop so you can stock up on logoed gear and men’s and women’s locker rooms. Players can shower off/freshen up their round before heading home, and then grab a quick bite in the new Champions Pub. Enjoy a post-round cocktail or choose from numerous draft and craft beer selections. The Ahi Tuna Caesar Salad and Grilled Chicken Sandwich on Ciabatta Bread are recommended suggestions.

Pro’s Pick: Number 17, Par 3, 158 yards. (White Tees). To many, using the words TPC and island green in the same sentence means one thing: Sawgrass. But not so fast. Although Number 17 at TPC Myrtle Beach merely has a peninsular green, it’s every bit as intimidating as its evil step cousin down the Interstate. And, although there is only water on three sides, the fourth side has a large bunker which is by no means a picnic should you enter it. Complicating matters is the fact that the green slopes towards the water and know this – the wind will be a factor. At 158 yards, it provides a great challenge.

Favorite Par 4: Number 12, 277 yards (White Tees). Given the length of this hole you have to go for the green off the tee. A draw would be the preferred shot off the tee; there’s not a whole lot of trouble here unless you find one of the bunkers on the left side. The green is wider than it is long; something to keep in mind should you require an approach shot.

Favorite Par 5: Number 18: Par 5, 496 yards (White Tees). I would name this hole “Decision Time” because, with a good drive – preferably down the left side – you’ve got a decision to make. Standing on the tee box, you can’t help but be in awe as you stare down the fairway at the back of the clubhouse. There’s a very picturesque creek that meanders down the right side of the fairway and crosses about 300 yards from the white tees. Once it crosses the fairway, it flows into a large lake that guards the front and left side of the green. Most players will opt to make this a 3-shot hole and lay up right of the water. Hit it to the largest part of the fairway over the creek and you’ll leave an approach shot of around 100 yards to a large, well-bunkered green. This is one of the best finishing holes in the Myrtle Beach area.

Most Challenging Hole: Number 9, Par 4, 445 yards. A monster of a hole that requires your best drive of the day. Playing your tee shot up the left side of the fairway will take the water and trees on the right out of play. You’ll be left with a long approach shot that plays uphill to a narrow green with a large, deep bunker on the right. Miss it left of the green and you’re looking at a difficult up and down. I’ve played shorter par 5s – all pars are well earned.

Last Word: TPC Myrtle Beach is one of the top 3 courses in the Myrtle Beach area, with all kinds of challenges. If you hit the ball high, you should fare well with approach shots to the elevated greens. Spend some extra time on the range and hit every club in the bag; chances are you will on the course. In fact, every shot you hit will be a test. For most of us, this is as close as we will ever get to playing between the ropes in a professional event. For more information or to book your next round at TPC Myrtle Beach, Click Here.

"Tough and long"

jcmmanning's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/08/2017

Course was in great shape. Played long due to rain the previous day. Love the layout with opportunities to score or blow-up.

"DJ's Course"

ralphcarchidi's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/01/2017

Very professional from pro shop to starter. Course was in great shape and the greens were excellent. Pro hop staff were very nice.