Black Mesa Golf Club

Scorecard for Black Mesa 1
Black M: 73.2/137 385 404 603 203 496 565 356 238 440 3690 457 172 403 591 389 216 536 424 429 3617 7307
Blue M: 70.3/133 339 373 584 174 456 530 319 209 408 3392 416 155 377 537 340 195 494 407 406 3327 6719
White M: 68.0/125 311 343 574 162 444 497 287 186 349 3153 401 136 359 512 305 186 480 366 379 3124 6277
Green M: 66.4/123 W: 71.4/136 287 340 549 149 438 464 257 155 311 2950 394 97 347 500 297 174 433 336 361 2939 5889
Gold W: 67.5/127 238 278 495 93 390 436 242 126 268 2566 312 102 269 485 274 152 366 327 309 2596 5162

Year Built 2003
Fairways Bluegrass
Golf Season Year round. Weather permitting.
Architect Baxter Spann (2003) Mike Nuzzo

Credit Cards Accepted Visa, Master Card, American Express
Dress code No denim, collared shirt and bermuda shorts required

A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 10

Great deal for the price

I read the other reviews of this course and so was somewhat hesitant to play here. It ended up being conveniently located and when I was told the price, $54, I figured it was worth it. And it definitely was. I showed up on a Thursday morning with no tee time and teed off shortly thereafter. The greens were very good and the fairways solid. New Mexico is in a drought so the rough was dry and hard. Is this course in perfect shape, definitely not, but it is in great shape for $54. My only complaint (besides my average golf game that day) is that there are many blind shots, especially from the tees, so playing it once would be super helpful. I played as a single and finished the front 9 in about 90 minutes. I caught some groups at 15 but still finished in just under 4 hours. I would recommend this course to those wanting a challenging experience in and around Santa Fe.

Hooray - Black Mesa is coming back to life!

I have been a great fan of Black Mesa for years, and believe it is a very special course in one of the most dramatic settings anywhere. Because it is such a unique venue, I have tried in recent years to "support" and play the course in spite of steadily deteriorating conditions. Unfortunately, by the end of last summer it had degraded to such a state it was essentially unplayable...

I recently heard some encouraging comments about the new leadership at the course, and reinvestment in the facility and intensified maintenance. So yesterday I went out again to see for myself.

While there is more work to be done (for example, the majority of the 70+ bunkers are being grassed over...and this is still in progress), the turnaround in conditions is remarkable. Tees and greens (firm and fast!) are in very good shape, and the fairways mostly good to very good. A lot of clearing of scrub has been done around several greens making them more fair/playable; the natural cart paths have been improved with gravel; rope/post markers have been installed along the more tricky cart path slopes; the carts have been improved and have on-cart ball and club washers, and the driving range actually has grass growing.

Overall, Black Mesa is in as good or better shape than several other courses in the area - and I enjoyed my round very much. I also spent time with both the course director and pro discussing their future plans, and I am convinced the leadership - and ownership - are genuinely committed to returning Black Mesa to a "top tier" status.

I encourage all of us who know how special Black Mesa was in the past...to come out and play and help the new team keep up the momentum. Be aware that it is still a work in progress (even more challenging given the extreme drought conditions in New Mexico this summer)...but already at a stage that it is very enjoyable and playable. And for visitors to northern New Mexico, don't expect conditions you see in Florida or other places not in a high altitude desert...but this is a unique, and highly rewarding (but challenging) golf experience.

Black Mesa. NM

Wow. Great layout for experienced golfer however 6 greens in need of serious repair. Fairways long & thick. Distance markers impossible to locate... AND NO DRINKABLE WATER ON COURSE!! Sad to see unique course in this condition. $51 too steep for condition of course. Did I mention new golf carts!

Golf in the Wild West

I love the challenge of this course. And the views are great. I try to play here a few times per year. Last visit was disappointing. We brought guests that had never played there before. We played early to beat the slower high handicappers. However the pro shop allowed a sixsome to tee off in front of us. They held us up on every hole while they looked for balls in the desert. They refused to let us thru and were very rude when we asked. I called the pro shop to get some help with this issue. There was no one available to ride out to manage this issue. It ruined our day at Black Mesa. I'm not sure I will go back to play there, There are many good choices for vacationers to play in the Santa Fe area.

Don't be scared away by concerns about course conditions.

Just got back from a golf trip to New Mexico. Going in I was concerned about playing Black Mesa given it's location, 30 min north of Sante Fe and reports of poor conditions due to irrigation issues a few years back. Yes, some of the fairways, greens and bunkers still need some TLC, but it is all pretty much cosmetic and does not negatively impact the experience. These issues are the only reason I did not give it 5 stars. With continued improvements this will be a 5 star course again. It would be a sin to let these concerns prevent you from playing this course if you are in the area. The terrain, mountain views and layout are truly amazing and should not be missed. It is well worth the drive and definitely worth the money to play.

Great experience.

I played as a single summer before last on a side-trip whim from Santa Fe. What a fun and challenging course with spectacular scenery. Cart paths were a bit sketchy due to heavy rains the previous week, but fairways and greens in good shape. A load of fun!

mfinney56
Commented On 06/08/2017

This place is BAD!!!!! It is frequently in poor shape and not maintained very often. it is being managed by the teaching pro who doesn't even have experience . They always have water problems and their pipes break without being fixed. Hardly any tournaments are here and it is closed at beginning of the week because of the poor condition of course. Do yourself a favor and go somewhere else where they take care of their course.

Won't Forget This One Soon

Watch for the big stone sign on the left side of the road after you get on NM399 because it's not marked all that well. And, yes, the dirt road is the right one. Now for the fun part. The cart folks, pro shop folks and starter were all very friendly to start the day. My starter, Nick, offered some tips about the course that were good to know. The layout was extremely scenic and fairly challenging. A nice mix of grip-and-rip and shot-golf depending on the hole. You need to play smart on a number of holes and not just hit the longest club you can. Sometimes that 150-yd approach is better than at 90.

great views, good layout, poor conditioning

The good- great views from the tee boxes. Good, challenging layout. Friendly staff. t The bad- poor conditioning. Lots of weeds in the fairway. Fairways were hairy and rough. Same for the tee boxes. No sand in the bunkerss. Overall, co ditioning was what you see these days on military courses. But rates are twice as high. Has the potential to be a great course to play but needs lots of care which it isn't currently getting.

A could be gem that is still in the rough

The course layout is pretty darn good with some spectacular holes however it is in really rough condition. If and when the new super/greens keeper gets the conditions under control it will be a fun place to play some challenging holes with plenty of elevation changes. The grill/snack bar is still closed with no indication of when it might open although the was indication if construction going on. I'd give it a couple of years before playing... Also it was almost impossible to contact the club by phone.

Denver Advisor

Still A Great Track

If the only thing that mattered was the layout/routing, then Black Mesa would be a 5 star must play if in the area course. The recent drought has taken its toll and the greenskeeper was telling me that they are doing what they can do get it back. It was in better shape than when I played it two years ago. They have a new supervisor with a plan of action. Let's hope that it gets back to the shape it was in years ago, for this is one great layout. Staff was friendly and helpful. The course itself has a couple of blind tee shots and green sites that are well contoured without going too far. The unique part of this property is the approach shots. The green sites are linksy in that you use the slope of the land to get close to the hole. The holes vary from short to long par 4s and 3s and 5s, elevated greens to greens below the fairway, redan and reverse redan type greens and holes that play in all 4 directions. Great variety in a unique setting; you are playing through a canyon and yet it is still walkable. I gave this course 4 stars because most of the amenities are being repaired; no restaurant. If the new superintendent can get this back to good shape, and there is a whole year to get there, then I would give this course 5 stars. If you are just looking to show up, play golf and go, then you would probably give this 5 stars. Black Mesa is one of the best layouts in the entire southwest if not the USA.

I Loved this Course!

I played Black Mesa as a single on 3/21/15. I was visiting from California and was really happy to get out as a single. The staff members were very friendly and polite. They invited me to warm up on their driving range free of charge.The restaurant was being refurbished, so there was no food being served when I was there. The course was in good condition for March and the weather was excellent. Black Mesa is a very challenging, but very interesting course with many elevation changes and alot of bunkering. To me, it was a shot makers type course which rewarded good decision making. I played from the White tees, which played at 6,200 yards with a slope rating of 130. I thought the course played more like 5,800 yards, with the high altitude (7,000 ft.) and fast fairways. I usually only hit the ball average distances and was able to get to all of the greens in regulation. The course was very scenic with great mountain veiws. There were not many players on the course the day that I played and I was able to play the round in a little over 3 hours. What a treat to play this course for $37.00 with a cart! I booked through the GolfNow website and all went smoothly.

No food or bar service

The course was really fun and reasonable. Pace of play was great. The only problem was there was no amenities available. The bar and lounge had been closed down for remodeling and will be closed for at least a month. This would have been really nice to know in advance.

Slow Death

I have played this course since its opening several years ago and got to see it at its pinnacle but unfortunately over the past few years have also bore witness to its slow death. It seems that every time that I play at the course something new has gone away. The time before last was its snack bar and on this current visit realized the death of its customer service. In fact, the staffer whom assisted me upon my arrival to the course whom I believe was named Aaron by his name tag, evidenced a very "defensive" posture towards me almost immediately. The negative attitude proceeded to devolve once he informed me that GolfNow had incorrectly booked my tee time in the course's reservation system and at that point treated me like a person attempting to steal from him personally. This one person's lack of customer service was abhorrent and I feel ashamed to think that visitors to our great region of America (Northern NM) have to deal with this type of behavior. What must they think? It is very disheartening to see what this course has become and I fear that I may have just played my last round of golf there.

This course doesn't make my best list

The staffer was not very friendly or cooperative. Appeared to have an issue with golfnow reservation. Was not helpful at all. the course surroundings were quite beautiful but the course was not well kept. Had gotten poor comments from the locals at next course in the area.

course condition

Golf now was very good to work with they helped me with my other course.black mesa was a very nice course a little pricey but an enjoyable experience.

course didn not accept golf now receipt

golf course did not accept golf now receipt. hope I get a refund, had to pay cash.

great course

great course, excellent condition, every hole has a lot of character. very scenic, great design. a few bad spots in fairways and some folks don't know how to fix a ball mark. also, uncrowded at the time we played. no waiting! overall, a great day on a great course, at the discounted fee online. a small problem/misunderstanding about free drink, free range balls, and tax included. don't expect what is promised on golfnow website. we will go back, for great golf on a great course, expecting to pay for range balls drinks and tax.

Great course!

Excellent course! Spectacular views. Amazed at how the course was cut out of the mountains. Very well designed. Fabulous tee shots over ravines and valleys. Greens are in great shape.

Spectacular Setting

Played on October 16 on a beautiful, sunny day. Being from Montana it was our first time golfing on a desert course. It was very challenging but we had a good time.

Los Alamos, New Mexico