Type Public/Resort
PGA West Stadium Golf Course

Year Built 1987
Architect Pete Dye (1987) Alice Dye (1986)

Golf School Academy Yes - "PGA WEST Golf Academy"
Practice Hole Yes

Dress code No denim, collared shirt and bermuda shorts required

A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 50

Fabulous

Beautiful day, beautiful course. This course never disappoints. Very difficult and challenging. However when you make a good shot you feel a great sense of accomplishment. This is my favorite course in the Palm Springs area!

Crazy good

This is a tough track that punishes you for not hitting the shot you had in visualized in your mind. A great day of golf.

Pete dye is an evil genius

Golf is not fair. I’m not going to build a course that is fair. He wasn’t kidding but this is one course you have to play. Excellent conditions and amazing holes have you thinking with mouth agape at every tee. One of the happiest greens keeper is on this course. If you encounter him you will know what I mean. Throw your score card in the back of the card and just enjoy it
One of the friendliest bunch of people I have ever encountered at any course complex

Excellent Early Morning Round

This was my first time playing the stadium course. I enjoyed every minute of it. It was one of the most challenging courses I have ever played and I believe I played better because every shot demanded my attention.

The staff was friendly and helpful, the range was close to the starter so the transition from practice to playing was smooth.

The fairways were immaculate and as expected I didn’t have many flat lies which is what you would expect from Pete Dye. The greens were extremely slow because the course has only been open for less than a week. I am sure they will speed up every day. It also was cart path only today but that didn’t slow us down much at all.

I can’t wait to play it again in the future.

Beautiful course!

5 star customer service! Amazing pro shop! Beautiful but tough challenging golf course! Must play if traveling though the desert.

Stadium Course at PGA West a challenging delight

Got a great deal on Golf Now, played with an engaging couple from the UK. Pace of play was excellent despite cart path only restrictions. Greens are really slow right now because of overseeding. Played the white tees and it still kicked my butt. Good luck keeping it out of the massive bunkers. Pete Dye is a diabolical genius. Would love to give it another shot when greens are at tournament speed!

Golf Challenge

Good course layout. Course was not busy .... seemed like we had the whole course to ourselves. Pace of play with cart path only was very good. Greens were slow, rough was tough. Course was very playable.
Pro shop staff were very friendly.
Enjoyable day.

Little shaggy, but a lot of fun

Made my annual trek to Palm Springs to try and wrestle this behemoth into submission. Today was the first day open after overseeding. The greens were a little shaggy and slow, but it was still a lot of fun. This is one of the more challenging courses in SoCal. Definitely worth the trip and the price if you like a challenge. I am fortunate to have played this course under “normal” conditions. It’s obviously better around tournament time, but don’t be shy about taking advantage of the discounted tee times this time of year.

Hard course. Enjoyed playing a course with so many challenges. Conditions were good except the greens were fertilized making the ball jump around.

Lightning

Sad you can’t get a rain check after 9 holes because of lightning and rain. Not a good value there. Just wanted to play the back nine....

A must play

Awesome as usual. Very challenging but as always a joy to play to gauge your game.

When in the valley this is the place to play!!!

British Columbia Advisor

MUST PLAY, Incredibly Challenging, Excellent Conditions!

IMO Pete Dye's Mona Lisa
Like being on a surreal golf course
Every look is stunning on the course and the surroundings.
takes confidence and composure to play this course
Does give advantage to shorter approach shots because every green is guarded by water, bunkers or rock formations so play the right tees (not a course to let testosterone get the best of you)
If you're not precise on distance I'd suggest add a club every approach shot With a couple exceptions long is the safer position and always play middle of the green
If you spray bring enough balls
Definitely Mid to Low Handicap golfers only
Facilities and the people are Top Notch

Absolutely amazing

This has always been a Top-5 in the USA for me. Incredibly great and difficult course. Conditions were amazing. Greens were nearly perfect, which is amazing for September in the desert. Pro shops has amazing stuff in it. If I only had some extra money. :) Ernie’s grill and bar was excellent. A must-go golf location.

California Advisor

Stadium

Played the Blues (6739/73.1/140) twilight in slightly less than 3H. The weather was sunny, breezy and around 105.

Pete Dye design that features moguls and large bunkers galore that make for challenging sight lines. Many of the traps here the average golfer needs to steer clear of to avoid big numbers. Bad shots are really penalized here. Even relatively good shots barely offline can quickly result in a double or worse.

The Bermuda tees were lush and well maintained, only some par 3's needed divot attention.

The Bermuda fairways were lush with most divots already repaired.

The Bermuda rough was lush and still thick even though mowed down.

The plentiful sand traps were well maintained with good quality sand. One i was in was thin and could have used more sand. There are many large traps on this course, a few with 10' to 15' lips to play over. Avoiding the sand here is a higher priority than almost any other course I have played.

The Bermuda greens putted nice. Medium speed, smooth for Bermuda, consistent and firm.

The customer service was top notch. No drink cart twilight. Numerous water stations on the course. Good GPS on the carts. Nice all grass range that was unfortunately closed today. Very challenging layout in good late summer condition. Definitely recommended.

PGA West Stadium is my favorite course in Palm Springs Area

This course as so many places that cause you trouble. Usually in the sand 4 times a round and 2 or 3 balls lost in the water bu today no sand and only one ball fell shot into the water. It pays off to use your brain and play a safer club around trouble. A good short game pays big time. Best round for me at this course, 82. 43 front and 39 back.

Tough but fun

Third time playing this course. I moved up to white tees and enjoyed it much more. Bring a few extra balls. I plan to play it again this week.

Not for the average golfer

This is course is not meant for the average golfer. Very difficult holes, many forced carries, very deep rough in spots. I consider myself a better golfer and this course completely beat me up, and it was not fun. For example, lost a ball 2 feet off the fairway. The round was also very slow in 100 degree heat, and very bad bugs on the first 5 holes (bring spray if you are playing in the morning). The greens were recently punched so dont expect good roll on your putts, also many of the bunkers were not maintained. The course Marshall was not very friendly (The course was empty behind us so I started over after 8 since it was so slow in front of us. The starter obliged, but for some reason was totally annoyed when he saw me on 16 again. Not sure I understood what happened) .
I would have expected more from this course.

Love this course

Always great to play this course. Tee boxes and fairways were in great condition, but the condition of the greens were very disappointing. I checked the maintenance schedule and trusted when they said that if the course is open, that its playable. True...course had been opened a couple weeks after maintenance, but the greens were patchy dirt and grass. Very bumpy, sandy, and no true rolls. Not sure if it was just the hot weather or some other issue. I played the course once before a few summers ago and the greens were awesome. Just disappointing to hit the green and have no chance to make a putt. I played on an Underpar deal (free replay), so the price was right...I would still recommend the course as its an iconic layout and very challenging. Staff is top-notch and very accommodating.

Very poor conditions ASK before giving your $$ how bad the course is.

Just finished spending a week in the Palm SPringgs area for a week of vacation golf. The highlight of the trip was a round at the PGA West Stadium course.
My nephew booked the course and we were all set.
Pro shop took our cash and off we went. Not ONE word as to the condition of the course.
The range was in great condition so it looked as if it was going to be a great day.
From the first tee, it was abundantly clear that even true resort courses at HALF the price were i better condition.
The tee boxes were sandy and half were filled with brown spots.
The fairways were pocked with brown spots.
And then the greens! I never have seen so much sand spread on greens. Even the fringe and second cuts were loaded with sand.
I get the fact that all courses need to aerate and sand for primo conditioning but these greens looked like they were punched at least 3 weeks ago and should not have had this much sand.
My biggest issue was the fact that the pro shop guys said NOTHING about the course conditions.!!
Had they mentioned this at all, at the very least, I would have had a choice to withdraw and play elsewhere. But to say nothing, take the money was a real bait and switch to me.
While $99 is a relative bargain for this course, it was way overpriced for the conditions.
We paid $39 for one resort course that totally eclipsed the conditions found this day.
Never again PGA West, never again

c6c274f2-a6b6-5ac6-b25b-5e47baa29f51
Commented on 07/11/2018

Thank you for the recent comments on The Stadium Course at PGA WEST. We appreciate the time and effort that you put into your review - any feedback we receive from our guests is invaluable in our quest for continuous improvement. At the time you played, the course had just come out of an aerification and it generally takes ten days for the course to recover. However, the greens (and some fairways) took longer to recover because of the extreme heat and humidity we have been experiencing this summer. Aggressive summer agronomic practices are necessary to help promote healthy turf conditions - and it is not an exact science. The other courses in the valley perform aerification at various times during the summer so all courses are not in the same condition at the same time. There are also different varieties of bermudagrass at different courses (we have three different types throughout our 9 courses) and they do not all react and recover the same. We feel badly that you did not enjoy your round - that is not the way we want anyone to leave after playing PGA WEST. Please contact our General Manager, Darrin Harn at 760-564-7105 so we can learn more and invite you back to play under better circumstances.

Request A Vacation Quote From La Quinta Resort
Please provide your information below and a staff member at La Quinta Resort will be in contact to help you start planning your travel.

Valid dates: Nov 19, 2019 - Feb 29, 2020
NEW Online Stay & Play Promotion running through the end of February.
From $1900