Type Private

Year Built 1926
Architect C.B. Macdonald (1926) Seth Raynor (1926) Charles Banks (1926) Roger Rulewich (1998)

Carts Yes - $22.50

Credit Cards Accepted VISA, MasterCard Accepted

Lives up to the hype

This is an absolute gem. Classic layout from a trio of legendary 1920s golden age architects. Every hole is memorable. The terrain is fantastic. Definitely a lot of blind shots but having a yardage book made it a very reasonable play - not unfair for a first timer.

That said, the conditions aren't amazing. I played it in late August which is prime season for crab grass and dying greens. There were some patches of green in bad shape. The fairways were pretty good. The rough was iffy - some dead patches, some way too thick with recently cut grass covering the ball. The sand traps are in good shape, but the sand was baked out and hard as a rock.

But what an amazing layout and terrain. The greens are so interesting. The greens ran a little slow today, but were still very challenging. I'm definitely coming back in late September or October when the grass is up and growing again, and I'll be back many many more times.

Those who give this course a negative review really don't understand what makes a golf course memorable, challenging, and a work of art. Sure it can be rough around the edges but you have to see through that and look at the great angles, the strategy, etc, that makes this place great.

DISAPPOINTING!

With all the great comments on line about the Yale Golf Course, I had to give it a try. WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT! The fairways were all patchy and poorly maintained, the green were running at a 5 on the stimp (and that's being generous!) and I was unimpressed with the layout. Way too many blind shots (both tee and approach).
The guy who they paired me up with told me the reason the course was in such bad shape was because all the staff are union and the course can't afford to pay $35/hour to keep the course maintained (I can't confirm that's true or not).
PS - The guy in the pro shop gave me a discount for the round ($100 instead of $135) but I've played much nicer munis for $25. DISAPPOINTING!

Great layout, a few solvable issues

Let me first say this is one of my favorite layouts ever. Have been playing it here and there for over 30 years. I enjoy all 18 holes. The 18th is unlike anything you've ever see, which is 1 reason I love it. The halfway house staff was fantastic; however pro shop and starter seemed less than enthusiastic. I rated value as 4 primarily because the conditions are awful. This gem of a layout needs serious TLC. The 10th fairway is almost unplayable. I realize Yale U is in the business of education but this has the "bones" to be so much better. I also realize this has been a tough season but I've seen many other private and public courses in the area come through so much better. The locker room could use a little attention; not a major makeover. Practice facilities are pretty good.

Best in CT

In my opinion this is the best course in CT. Better than your private courses or tour tracks. A member once told me it is 17 great holes of golf followed by #18 and he was right. #18 will keep you perplexed for years. People tell me the smart play is to hit three 5 irons but I can't play it that way either. Another member told me they ran out of dynamite and that's why 18 is the way it is. Whatever, you will enjoy this course and wonder how to play it under all the conditions that New England can throw at you. Each hole is a delight, bunkering on #1 great, #2 stay to the right, #3 just a great tee shot with a blind 2nd, #4 is a beast, #5 and #9 spectacular par 3s. The back is just as good. You will remember every hole which to me is the test of a great golf course. The food and people after the round at Widdie's is also great.Do what you can to play this course and if you figure out #18 let us know with a post!

Yale - A Seth Raynor Gem

Having played Fishers Island a couple times, I have become a big fan of Seth Raynor designed golf courses. Yale has always been on my to-do list, and a recent trip to Boston gave me the chance to play.

Overall, it was a great day and I really enjoyed the golf course. The 9th hole (Biarritz) is the most famous hole on the course. Unfortunately, the flag was on the front portion of the green and I hit my tee shot into the bottom of the swale and three putted. I love the old-school greens. Course knowledge is very helpful as there are numerous blind second shots (e.g., 10th, 12th, 18th). I wish I would have known about the split fairway when hitting my second shot on 18 (I wound up in the rough between the two fairways in a terrible lie.)

I highly recommend the course, especially those that like Golden Age designs and are a fan of Seth Raynor/C.B. Macdonald.

Woodbridge, Connecticut