Mauna Kea Golf Course

Composite (W) 72 5798 yards 75.7 132
Forward 72 5096 yards 66.0 122
Forward (W) 72 5096 yards 71.3 124
Scorecard for Mauna Kea
Championship M: 76.6/144 374 380 272 438 600 338 218 547 430 3597 567 250 392 374 425 211 484 620 450 3773 7370
Tournament M: 73.6/140 374 357 205 385 560 338 198 526 375 3318 534 214 373 337 425 188 425 561 431 3488 6806
Resort M: 71.4/138 353 336 179 357 518 315 188 493 342 3081 509 206 340 326 405 171 397 538 385 3277 6358
Composite M: 69.2/133 W: 75.7/132 347 305 145 348 453 252 169 485 305 2809 463 191 332 270 324 163 390 493 363 2989 5798
Forward M: 66.0/122 W: 71.3/124 325 280 108 274 372 225 142 446 287 2459 428 173 287 264 305 111 290 465 314 2637 5096

Year Built 1964
Fairways Tifway 419 Hybrid Bermudagrass
Greens Ultra-Dwarf Tifeagle Bermudagrass
Architect Robert Trent Jones, Sr. (1964) Rees Jones (2008) Steve Weisser (2008) Roger Rulewich (1966)

Dress code Proper golf attire must be worn at all times

A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 17

Windy

booked the round on tee off and was able to get a decent discount. was able to play by myself and didnt catch anyone til the 9th hole so about a 3.5 hour round. the course was in great condition, no complaints at all. only disappointment was how windy it was; consistent gusts of at least 20 mph. the 3rd hole over the ocean is really nice and the cart girl offered to take my picture there which was really nice. all the staff was great. from picking my clubs and i up in the parking lot and loading them onto a cart. driving range was subpar as it runs out at about 200 yards. staff actually let me go out early as well. i would recommend the course to others just be mindful as it could get very windy(as anywhere in hawaii)

Aerated bunkers too?

Vog, extreme humidity and no wind plus early summer morning soaking wet (sprinklers running here and there on every hole) and aerated fairways and greens made for a horrible experience. Arnie, Jack and Gary would never play here in July! Almost impossible to hold onto new corded grips, sweat soaked by the second hole, sunglasses dripped on to the point of uselessness. Punched (nickel sized) and sanded greens were no fun. Played perfectly manicured Mauna Lani North (81 from tips) and South (79) with Paspalum greens and fairways the days before, FAR SUPERIOR. Why this so called monumental course accepts inferior grass strains is beyond contempt. Quirky roller coaster type design leaves much to be desired. Like dating a supermodel to find she's a complete bore with warts and rashes under her designer clothes. On the positive side the staff was very professional and attentive. Call ahead for course and weather conditions if you dare waste your money on an old reputation.

Excellent layout. Very challenging requiring precise approach shots to many elevated greens which are very well bunkered. The greens were quick but not crazy fast. This course will test all the club's in your bag. Expensive but worth it.

Beautiful but punitive

The good:

Breathtaking ocean views from almost all holes. Just absolutely beautiful course.

The bad:

The golf. Extremely penal course and basically target golf. ALL errant shots and even not so errant shots will be swallowed up by the thick and long stuff. Lost balls and penalties pile up quick. Expect to shoot 10-15 strokes higher than usual.

Mauna kea

My only complaint is that the condition of the dtiving range is atrocious which was very disappointing considering the expensive greens. For 198 per person you shouldn't be hunting for grass to hit off of.

"Almost Heaven, NOT West Virginia"

everything was great, except they overcharge my daughter off on the green fee's. Our round was a gift for my son and myself for the help we gave our daughter at her wedding the day before. Why did they charge her $250 plus tax, when lower green fees are what are advertised everywhere. I hate to see my daughter

get overcharge when she's starting out her life and doesn't have a pot to use ....? The beauty of the course was fantastic, esp if you're from Nebr. They should give you free ice tea when playing and all you have to do is tip for those exhorbatant fees. Course is great , but not worht $250 per person per round. Thank you.

Beautiful course

I simply loved playing Mauna Kea. The course was in perfect condition. The views from most holes was somewhere between good and spectacular. Mauna Kea is bets for golfers who want to enjoy the scenery while also playing a challenging course. Of course you could just focus on your golf but wow what you'd be missing! I'd play this course again and again.

A bit overrated. Not what I expected

I wanted to love this course but I was just not blown away by the course. Not as visually stunning as I was expecting. A hard course for hackers.

Loved Mauna Kea. Fantastic challenging layout especially from the back tees. Wonderful conditions greens were fast, but a little brown and hard on 3-4 holes. Only drawback was the SLOW pace of play, over 4.5 hours and the back 9 over 2.5 hours. Played the day before the Mauna Kea Pro am so that probably made it slower than normal. Play this course if you get the chance.

Beautiful golf course

All the amenities you could want. Beautiful course. Highly recommend.

Beautiful setting but a couple.of gripes.

Pretty sure I booked at $175 on golfnow.com, which is enough, but was charged $195 on arrival, and didn't want to make a scene in the proshop with other people in line. Mandatory valet parking with tip expected was also a bit of a turn-off. Layout of the course was great, very scenic, fairways were in awesome condition, even though we were sent out on the back 9, which is a minor thing in my book. My disappointment came in the fact that the greens had been heavily aerated and top-dressed, no warning, no discount, no relief in any way. I know courses have to do periodic maintenance, but I didn't expect that at $200. I had played Hapuna last week at $95 and found it a friendlier and more satisfying experience all-round, with good fairways and awesome greens.

Vacation Golf

My green fees were $75 less then normal due to golf now.com. They have a great real grass range to start and great practice greens. I played by myself and ever saw anyone in front or behind me. I hit OB a few times, but was glad to find replacements ProV1's in the same area where I had hit; I love it when that happens. Overall a great course and perfect location.

Challenging but Fun

This legendary course tics off a bucket list for sure. The 1st course on the island, opened 1964. RTJ Sr. had some fun here...and you will too! Rees added bunkers in an "upgrade" around 2007 and now there are 99 of them. But ocean views from somewhere on every hole, elevated greens, and for me...forward tees that actually help, make it a course I want to play again and again.

Slow players!

We have played this course many time over our years of visiting the Big Island and enjoy it's staff, conditions and challenges. This time we were furious by the time we finished our round due to the belligerently slow players in front of us. We were a twosome behind four players and caught them by the 4th hole. We understand playing as twosome this can happen but courteous players usually let us play thru when convenient, usually at a restroom break or at the turn. We never were asked to play though and at the end of our round there were 3 groups waiting to play in the 18th fairway. Not once did we see a marshal. We complained to staff at the end of our round and were told that the players in front were "Platinum" members and sometimes were difficult.

MKRgolf
Commented On 02/02/2016

Aloha! Thank you for providing us with feedback about your round on the 23rd. We'd glad that you enjoyed the course conditions, but sorry to hear that the pace of play was not what you expected. Our director of golf would love to chat with you more about your experience. Would you please give us a call at 808-882-5400? Mahalo - Mauna Kea Golf Management

Fantastic Course

I've wanted to try this course for a few years and finally took the plunge. The whole experience was just fantastic. The conditions were first rate, from tee to green. I would love to go back and play again, though it was not cheap as a non-guest.

Very good test

Resort tees offered a good variety and challenging golf holes. Fast and smooth greens. Great ocean views.

Beautiful!

One of the most beautiful course I have ever played. Some world class holes.

Not worth the money.

Service continues to be lacking. Bag service was adequate, but no one else appears to be trained in customer service. There was no starter again to offer any information about their tee system or to keep groups on schedule. The practice area had 5 stations set up all of which were occupied--3 of them by young children who appeared unlikely to be playing. There was plenty of room to have more practice stations open. During our round, we were pressed by what we thought was a large family playing golf. We were astounded by what appeared to be an incredible pace of play as they all descended on us on the 2nd hole and lined up waiting in the fairway for us to finish putting. We speculated they were playing best ball. We rushed through the hole and headed for the signature third hole. As I teed off, they descended upon us again before my wife could even tee up the ball. We felt pressured again to move along. Instead of taking time to enjoy the hole and take some pictures, we rushed off to the 4th. We never saw them again, and we ultimately concluded that the resort was taking promotional pictures with the group. Would it have been too much to tell us in advance that this was going to happen or simply to drive up to us to let us know what was going on? Again, poor management and poor customer service. This is a tough course with many elevated greens, an abundance of bunkers and potentially awkward lies to hit from. In my experience, there is not much in the way of trade winds on this course, and it can be very hot as it was the day we played and was the last time we played. Play it if you like a challenge. Twice was enough for us. We won't be back.

MKRgolf
Commented On 07/15/2015

Aloha msmithcsrs, Thank you for your comments and suggestions. We value our guests feedback and use these ratings and reviews as a way to learn and get better at what we do. We sincerely apologize for the shortfall of customer service during your visit. The absence of a starter's presence during the time you checked in is unfortunate and certainly not a typical experience - however, it is unacceptable. You are correct that there was a promotional filming being done with our brand new Golfboards on the 2nd and 3rd holes, and we also apologize for not communicating that. We'd like to hear more about your experience and ask that you send an email to our Director of Golf at jsilliman@maunakearesort.net. Mahalo and Aloha, Mauna Kea Resort Golf

Great layout; conditions a bit lacking

Course layout and views are outstanding, was a bit disappointed with course conditions, it was very dry as compared to Mauna Lani that we played just two days earlier.

Views are great. Staff is friendly. Serious noise pollution around.

I'll never play here again. About 1000 houses surround the course and everyone has a guy mowing or edging all afternoon. Course grounds crew did the same thing. Felt like they followed me around with blowers, mowers, etc. Views were the real attraction. Course was in good shape. Grill closes at 3 so no food available after that. I've played $60 public courses that were more fun. Hint to staff: Add yardage markers. There's only a few to be found.

Kamuela, Hawaii