Mauna Kea Golf Course

GPS: No

Practice bunker: Yes

Dress code: Proper golf attire must be worn at all times
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex Welcomed

Championship 72 7370 yards 76.6 144
Tournament 72 6806 yards 73.6 140
Resort 72 6358 yards 71.4 138
Composite 72 5798 yards 69.2 133
Composite (W) 72 5798 yards 75.7 132
Forward 72 5096 yards 66.0 122
Forward (W) 72 5096 yards 71.3 124

Location is at a resort worth the drive   Great for a bucket list/top 100 pick wildlife/ scenic views advanced golfers   Challenges include bunkers undulating greens elevation changes   Great for drinks

"Beautiful but punitive"

baw12's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/04/2018

The good:

Breathtaking ocean views from almost all holes. Just absolutely beautiful course.

The bad:

The golf. Extremely penal course and basically target golf. ALL errant shots and even not so errant shots will be swallowed up by the thick and long stuff. Lost balls and penalties pile up quick. Expect to shoot 10-15 strokes higher than usual.

"Mauna kea"

tlemeris's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/22/2018

My only complaint is that the condition of the dtiving range is atrocious which was very disappointing considering the expensive greens. For 198 per person you shouldn't be hunting for grass to hit off of.

""Almost Heaven, NOT West Virginia""

Thomashuyck's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/01/2018

everything was great, except they overcharge my daughter off on the green fee's. Our round was a gift for my son and myself for the help we gave our daughter at her wedding the day before. Why did they charge her $250 plus tax, when lower green fees are what are advertised everywhere. I hate to see my daughter

get overcharge when she's starting out her life and doesn't have a pot to use ....? The beauty of the course was fantastic, esp if you're from Nebr. They should give you free ice tea when playing and all you have to do is tip for those exhorbatant fees. Course is great , but not worht $250 per person per round. Thank you.

"Beautiful course"

bmsmith152's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/19/2018
First time playing Perfect weather

I simply loved playing Mauna Kea. The course was in perfect condition. The views from most holes was somewhere between good and spectacular. Mauna Kea is bets for golfers who want to enjoy the scenery while also playing a challenging course. Of course you could just focus on your golf but wow what you'd be missing! I'd play this course again and again.

"A bit overrated. Not what I expected"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/22/2018

I wanted to love this course but I was just not blown away by the course. Not as visually stunning as I was expecting. A hard course for hackers.

"Great Course"

Douglas3107228's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/07/2017

Loved Mauna Kea. Fantastic challenging layout especially from the back tees. Wonderful conditions greens were fast, but a little brown and hard on 3-4 holes. Only drawback was the SLOW pace of play, over 4.5 hours and the back 9 over 2.5 hours. Played the day before the Mauna Kea Pro am so that probably made it slower than normal. Play this course if you get the chance.

"Beautiful golf course"

hypart's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/05/2017

All the amenities you could want. Beautiful course. Highly recommend.

"Beautiful setting but a couple.of gripes."

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/31/2017

Pretty sure I booked at $175 on golfnow.com, which is enough, but was charged $195 on arrival, and didn't want to make a scene in the proshop with other people in line. Mandatory valet parking with tip expected was also a bit of a turn-off. Layout of the course was great, very scenic, fairways were in awesome condition, even though we were sent out on the back 9, which is a minor thing in my book. My disappointment came in the fact that the greens had been heavily aerated and top-dressed, no warning, no discount, no relief in any way. I know courses have to do periodic maintenance, but I didn't expect that at $200. I had played Hapuna last week at $95 and found it a friendlier and more satisfying experience all-round, with good fairways and awesome greens.

"Vacation Golf"

Joseph7920559's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/24/2016

My green fees were $75 less then normal due to golf now.com. They have a great real grass range to start and great practice greens. I played by myself and ever saw anyone in front or behind me. I hit OB a few times, but was glad to find replacements ProV1's in the same area where I had hit; I love it when that happens. Overall a great course and perfect location.

"Challenging but Fun"

Hawi808's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/20/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

This legendary course tics off a bucket list for sure. The 1st course on the island, opened 1964. RTJ Sr. had some fun here...and you will too! Rees added bunkers in an "upgrade" around 2007 and now there are 99 of them. But ocean views from somewhere on every hole, elevated greens, and for me...forward tees that actually help, make it a course I want to play again and again.

"Slow players!"

scotts97385's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/23/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

We have played this course many time over our years of visiting the Big Island and enjoy it's staff, conditions and challenges.

This time we were furious by the time we finished our round due to the belligerently slow players in front of us. We were a twosome behind four players and caught them by the 4th hole. We understand playing as twosome this can happen but courteous players usually let us play thru when convenient, usually at a restroom break or at the turn. We never were asked to play though and at the end of our round there were 3 groups waiting to play in the 18th fairway. Not once did we see a marshal.

We complained to staff at the end of our round and were told that the players in front were "Platinum" members and sometimes were difficult.

Commented on 02/02/2016

Aloha! Thank you for providing us with feedback about your round on the 23rd. We'd glad that you enjoyed the course conditions, but sorry to hear that the pace of play was not what you expected. Our director of golf would love to chat with you more about your experience. Would you please give us a call at 808-882-5400? Mahalo - Mauna Kea Golf Management

"Fantastic Course"

csroberson's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/19/2015
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

I've wanted to try this course for a few years and finally took the plunge. The whole experience was just fantastic. The conditions were first rate, from tee to green. I would love to go back and play again, though it was not cheap as a non-guest.

"Very good test"

Mark8182464's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/06/2015

Resort tees offered a good variety and challenging golf holes. Fast and smooth greens. Great ocean views.

"Beautiful!"

lloydsummers's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/05/2015

One of the most beautiful course I have ever played. Some world class holes.

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"Not worth the money."

msmithcsrs's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/10/2015
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

Service continues to be lacking. Bag service was adequate, but no one else appears to be trained in customer service. There was no starter again to offer any information about their tee system or to keep groups on schedule. The practice area had 5 stations set up all of which were occupied--3 of them by young children who appeared unlikely to be playing. There was plenty of room to have more practice stations open. During our round, we were pressed by what we thought was a large family playing golf. We were astounded by what appeared to be an incredible pace of play as they all descended on us on the 2nd hole and lined up waiting in the fairway for us to finish putting. We speculated they were playing best ball. We rushed through the hole and headed for the signature third hole. As I teed off, they descended upon us again before my wife could even tee up the ball. We felt pressured again to move along. Instead of taking time to enjoy the hole and take some pictures, we rushed off to the 4th. We never saw them again, and we ultimately concluded that the resort was taking promotional pictures with the group. Would it have been too much to tell us in advance that this was going to happen or simply to drive up to us to let us know what was going on? Again, poor management and poor customer service. This is a tough course with many elevated greens, an abundance of bunkers and potentially awkward lies to hit from. In my experience, there is not much in the way of trade winds on this course, and it can be very hot as it was the day we played and was the last time we played. Play it if you like a challenge. Twice was enough for us. We won't be back.

Commented on 07/15/2015

Aloha msmithcsrs,

Thank you for your comments and suggestions. We value our guests feedback and use these ratings and reviews as a way to learn and get better at what we do. We sincerely apologize for the shortfall of customer service during your visit. The absence of a starter's presence during the time you checked in is unfortunate and certainly not a typical experience - however, it is unacceptable. You are correct that there was a promotional filming being done with our brand new Golfboards on the 2nd and 3rd holes, and we also apologize for not communicating that. We'd like to hear more about your experience and ask that you send an email to our Director of Golf at jsilliman@maunakearesort.net.<br/> Mahalo and Aloha,

Mauna Kea Resort Golf

"Great layout; conditions a bit lacking"

gilchgolfer's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/03/2015

Course layout and views are outstanding, was a bit disappointed with course conditions, it was very dry as compared to Mauna Lani that we played just two days earlier.

"Views are great. Staff is friendly. Serious noise pollution around."

dmyers2000's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/20/2015

I'll never play here again. About 1000 houses surround the course and everyone has a guy mowing or edging all afternoon. Course grounds crew did the same thing. Felt like they followed me around with blowers, mowers, etc. Views were the real attraction. Course was in good shape. Grill closes at 3 so no food available after that. I've played $60 public courses that were more fun.

Hint to staff: Add yardage markers. There's only a few to be found.

"Amazing ocean holes, challenging track"

mr79golf's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/14/2015
First time playing Played as a single Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

The course is worth playing for the views and grand nature of it. Was shocked that I went out as a single and never saw anyone in front or behind me until I caught a threesome on 17. Range was closed due to resodding and greens had been aerated 15 days before (which is usually enough time to get back to 100%) but were still very sandy and bumpy. This is a challenging course. Most greens are elevated and heavily bunkered. Tees and fairways were in excellent shape. One hole I had to wait by the green for 5 minutes for them to turn off the sprinklers. Overall this is a very memorable design and a beautiful experience. Once the greens have recovered it will be in perfect condition. A must play for me in the future, although high handicappers and beginners would likely be very frustrated here. No GPS on carts. Use the yardage book.

Quality of food & beverage: Average

"Beautiful course - questionable value"

JoyAMatthews's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/07/2015
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

It's off season in Hawaii so there were only a few groups going off. Most appeared to be locals residing on property. Maintenance was being done both on the course and the driving range. There was very little signage on the course (hole markers, cart signs, navigational signs). It was unclear if this was maintenance related. The 19th was closed when we came off the course (closed at 2:30). We saw the beverage cart once. While the course was very nice and challenging, if you pay full rate, this is not a good value.

Quality of food & beverage: Average

"A must!"

iknight's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/23/2015

This course is a must to play for any one staying on the Big Island. The course is beautiful, with great views of the ocean. The staff was very friendly and even made us bag tags at the end of the round. The prices of food, drinks and items in the pro shop are very reasonable as well. The day we played it felt like we had rented the entire course! They don't pack the course at all. Even with taking pictures and watching whales jump while on the 18th tee box we still played in less than 4 hours. Like the title said A MUST, spend the money and it will be worth it!

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent