Pinehurst Resort & Country Club - No. 2

U.S. Open 70 7588 yards 76.5 138
Green (W) 72 5801 yards 73.5 130
Scorecard for #2
U.S Open M: 76.5/138 402 507 387 529 576 242 424 502 191 3760 617 483 484 385 473 202 528 205 451 3828 7588
Blue M: 73.7/133 393 439 350 474 508 203 393 469 174 3403 580 455 419 375 433 183 513 185 415 3558 6961
White M: 70.7/126 W: 76.6/137 376 411 330 434 462 178 385 440 148 3164 455 375 360 358 419 170 478 162 366 3143 6307
Green M: 68.2/123 W: 73.5/130 366 390 309 424 364 170 313 419 140 2895 438 358 336 327 347 153 437 152 358 2906 5801
Red M: 65.2/117 W: 70.0/126 340 342 283 414 274 116 306 400 124 2599 421 320 293 278 337 124 411 145 329 2658 5257

Year Built 1907
Fairways Tifway 419 Bermuda Grass
Greens Champion Ultradwarf Bermudagrass
Architect Donald Ross (1907) Ben Crenshaw (2010) Bill Coore (2010) Robert Trent Jones, Sr. (1974) Rees Jones (1996) Rees Jones (2004) George Waters (2011)

Caddies Yes
Golf School Academy Yes - "Pinehurst Golf Academy"

• Golf Advisor: Ginella's Top 50 U.S. Courses You Can Play (2016 #3) (2015 #3)
  • Golf Advisor: Top 25 Friendliest Courses in the U.S. (2017 #17)
  • Golf Advisor: Top Courses in North Carolina (2017 #2) (2016 #7) (2015 #5)

Plays Long 6
A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 15

Five Stars...I Guess??

Great variety in the par 5s and 4s. Par 3 holes are slightly repetitive in yardage if the wind isn't blowing. Turf conditions great, greens rolled perfectly. Great course but I was slightly unimpressed for whatever reason.

Chicago Milwaukee Advisor

Straight to #1 course I have ever played

Words and pictures can not describe this place. When you walk up the stairs and see this place you just get the chills from all the history at Pinehurst.

The amenities and people are amazing. The driving range is really nice the putting green is so cool, (make sure you play the putting course called Thistle Dhu so much fun and so crazy)

We walked the course with 2 great caddies that filled us in on lots of tips, history, and crazy things the USGA does for the US opens ex: putting mortar on the fairways to make it fast.

From the tee shot to your final putt every shot is a grind because the moment you get out of position especially around the greens big numbers show up. I believe each guy in my group had a putt roll back to their feet when putting from off the green.

As I try to come up with which hole is my favorite I realize I cant because they all were so amazing and memorable. I suggest taking your time and soaking it all in. The walk up 18 was priceless just knowing the history just gives you the chills.

I highly suggest playing here if you get the chance. This is bucket list course and place that will not disappoint. Just soak it all in. Also we didn't play the cradle but it looked awesome and seemed like they had speakers all around the course playing great music. Pinehurst a place I wanna retire to someday.

Boston Advisor

A true test of golf

I had played Pinehurst #2 after the redesign in the 90's when it had rough and now playing with the Coore Crenshaw redesign it made for a true test of my game. Honestly, the fairways are not that tight so you can hit driver off of most tees with knocking your knees together too much. The test is when you hit it into the waste area, when you miss the greens and putting on lighting fast surfaces. It was great to have a caddie, he really helped with the reads. The problem for me was, coming from the northeast, I am not used to putting from 10-15 feet off of greens. Most courses in New England have rough around the greens that you can chip from but everything at Pinehurst #2 is shaved and the greens are all elevated. My lack of knowing how to play those putts made for some sub-par scores on holes I played well to that point. You should play this course if you get the chance, even at the $500 all in price point.

Bucket List Course

I've lived an hour and a half away for 12 years and had never played #2. Decided to go ahead and do it this summer. Course is very playable but there is trouble everywhere particularly around the greens. Lots of subtle and not so subtle breaks. Putted off the green 2 times. Had a caddie, which definitely saved me a half dozen strokes at least. Definitely worth doing one time, though it is expensive. Great experience and I'll always remember it.

Everything you think it is

No matter what anyone says about #2, you are playing there. How could you not want to try your hand at a place that hosts US Opens. There is so much history there with championships that you will be in awe.

Ok...now to the golf. The course is beyond tough. You need to hit the fairway so you have a shot to hold the greens. The greens fall off on all sides, so hitting it in the right spot is your only goal when you are in the fairway. That spot is not always so obvious and is likely small. You also may have to land it in a bad spot to roll it in a good spot.

As you can see from the above, you need a caddie. They can take a handful of strokes off for you not only on green reading, but getting you to hit the right spots in the fairways and greens.

The amenities and staff are very friendly at Pinehurst. It is a premium resort experience, so they know how to treat you.

The conditions on the course were great as well. As you would expect from #2.

Finally, the only real issue is the price here. You are paying $400 for the round BEFORE another $100 for a caddie (including the tip). Is it a $500 experience? It isn't too often you get to play a US Open course, so yes, it is worth it once. Would I play it day in day out? No, the value isn't there for ongoing play...especially with how challenging it can be.

Enjoy your round and know it will live up to what you expect of #2.

A Gem from the Master

The crowning achievement of Donald Ross, restored by Coore/Crenshaw to resemble its beginnings. Spectacular holes, easy to walk layout, challenging greens, and history walks with you as a playing partner.

Denver Advisor

An American Classic

Played #2 as walking threesome with caddies in four hours. Every step was a treat. The course is in great condition and a challenge to all. It is also a great walk and a classic second shot course. The fairways are wide, but you need to hit the proper side for the approaches to the turtle back greens. There are shot options for apporoaches, but just aiming for the middle is helpful. Taking a caddie will also help as they can let you know the miss or the place to aim so that the ball rolls to the appropriate section.

Unlike many courses which allow you to ease into your round, holes 3-5 and quite frankly 1 and 2 will challenge you right off the bat. What separates Pinehurst from other courses is the fact that you can play the same ball for a whole round. Hazards exist, but since they are not water, you won’t lose a sleeve. The green sites and the difficult recovery for par ensure that it is not a pushover but pleasurably interesting.

Having played and loved Dornoch, you can see that Ross brought the challenge of those green sites over to the States. This place has everything you could want and spending time at the putting course and in the halls reading the history on the walls is time well spent.

If you want a taste of American Parkland golf of the highest order, then play #2. It is a great walk, a rewarding course and just everything that a day should be. The restoration has brought back Ross architecture of the highest order.

A must play for any serious golfer

If you love golf and appreciate the nuances of classic design, then No. 2 is a must, especially after the renovation/restoration a few years ago by Coore-Crenshaw. This is a golf course that has truly withstood the test of time. Of course, this isn't a course for novices. You don't have to be single digit, but you do need to be able to stop the ball on these upside-down saucer-like Donald Ross greens. I was able to do that, but I also putted one into a bunker, too, so you have to pay attention. And that's the beauty of a golf course like this. It's a whole new ballgame once you get to the greens. And this is where the caddie really helps, especially with reads and just determining whether a putt is downhill or uphill (it's really not that easy to tell at times).

Virginia Advisor

Most Unique Set of Greens in USA

There's basically nothing that hasn't been said about No. 2. It's historical significance to the game of golf in the USA is almost unmatched.

The course, to the untrained eye, could probably be construed as "nothing special". There isn't really a "signature" hole. But that's not the point of the course. As I made my way around the course from the Blue tees (one tee in front of the US Open tees) I'd keep saying to myself, "well, this isn't that special". And then I'd get up to the green. Where each and every one is a work of art. The course is intentionally pretty generous off the tee but is also easy to get stuck hitting from waste area to waste area.

The greens can be comical at times. For example, on the very first hole I hit a piped a perfect drive down the right center. Hit my approach pin-high to the right just off the green. I proceed to hit what i thought was a great chip (rolled across the green into the bunker) hit out from the bunker and then 2-putted from 30 feet for 6...all after being in Position A off the tee. That is to say the real work comes around the greens.

I feel it's also the type of course you admire and appreciate the more you play it. However, at such steep prices, not sure many people have that opportunity.

As for Bucket List, I'm glad I played it and hope to play it again some day, just think there are others that might come before it.

Amazing facility!

First time visiting pinehurst and what a great experience. Played course 4 on Saturday and course 2 on Sunday. The course could not have been in any more perfect condition. Caddie I had was fantastic. On a few greens I was like there is no way to breaks that much, but I believed the caddie and putted great. Take course medicine when you miss the greens. Just get in on the green and take your two putt for bogey. Do not be the guy hitting the impossible shot as a bad chip on this course could leave you in worst shape than before. I will be back soon!

Unlike any course on the planet

Deceptively forgiving off the tee but even more deceptively penal around the greens. Fairways are generous and the waste areas are very playable. Precise approaches are rewarded but anything less than that will be rejected and makes for a difficult up and down. Greens are difficult to read but every putt stays on line. This was the most mentally taxing round of golf I've ever played, there are no "easy" holes.

The course is extremely walkable. If possible, would absolutely recommend walking and taking a caddie. One other thing that isn't immediately intuitive is that if you have enough length off the tee (i.e. If you hit driver more than 250), I would recommend playing the blue tees instead of the whites as you will frequently have better angles to the already reasonably wide fairways. This is particularly important as the angle of approaches to these challenging greens makes more difference than perhaps any other course I've played.

No. 2 is a true "bucket list" course. If you are able, I would not hesitate to play this truly unique track.

Dopey greens

Want to start by saying that I am hereby reviewing the golf course...not the total golf experience, which would include the clubhouse, the history (Ross, US Opens), the pro shop, the practice facilities, etc. So here we go: tee to green, quite good, esp. after the work done in '12 or '13...fair and playable. However, the greens are silly severe, primarily because they shave the slopes to encourage the ball to ran down, off, and away a significant distance. A great many players just cannot handle the contours...met a scratch golfer who, counting them all, shot 85. (I have a running bet with any of my friends who play it: I'll bet you can't get to within 10 shots of your handicap counting them all...no picking up and taking a double after you've just putted the ball off the green). Worth a play once for bucket list purposes, but just not worth the $ to me. Go play 7, 8, or 9(!), or Dormie or Mid South if the greens are rolling nice, at a fraction of the price of 2.

krtgolfing
Commented On 02/20/2017

Sounds like your scratch golf lied or had an off day. I shot a 81, but scored better than I hit the ball. Course number 4 has the saucer greens as well. Scored better on #2 than #4.

GolfFan33
Commented On 07/21/2016

A bit harsh here no? The whole point of this golf course is that it plays really fair tee to green and challenges you around the greens. That's the genius of the design. Just because your score went up doesn't mean you should ding the rating of one of the best facilities in the world.

#2

Got the chance to play #2 with some of my friends and absolutely loved it! took caddies and i totally recommend it so worth the money.

Birmingham Advisor

About the experience, not the score

No.2 is a very polarizing golf course. I think the players that don't have good things to say upon putting out on #18 has more to do with what they shot. My best advice to a player of any skill level before teeing up here is to temper your expectations in relation to the scorecard. I take my golf very seriously, especially on brass ring tracks, but telling myself that I was not going to get frustrated by my score at the end of the day was the best thing I could have done. My round was more about sharing this experience with my 14-year-old son. It was about listening to the stories our caddy shared about the course. It was about trying to beat the fading daylight walking up the 18th fairway to finish. It was about sitting in the glow of moonlight on the veranda a few minutes later and burning the day's round into my memory over a cold beer. Yes, the greens are diabolical. That's why you come. I, too, putted a ball across and off a green. Embrace it! I normally break 80, but shot 86 with three double bogies. Here's two more pieces of advice to anyone playing here for the first time: 1) play to the middle of greens. Shots will hold if struck well to the middle of most greens. 2) practice putting balls from off the green up dramatic slopes. That is a shot I am just not accustomed to playing in my area and are difficult to gauge. Being comfortable with this type of shot can save you 5 shots in my opinion.

checked one off the bucket list

Gor the chance to play #2 and could not have been more impressed with the course. Lots of talk about how its not as appealing to the eye as it used to be.... To each their own but I absolutely loved it. The course is as fair as a "Major Championship" course should be. The fairways are wide enough but being on your tee game will help setup an imperative part of what will make or break your day,approach shots in to some of the most diabolical green complexes I've ever played. Even with the course "dumbed down" for us everyday amatuers if you missed on the wrong side of the hole getting up and down was very difficult,typical of a Donald Ross design. I loved it and look forward to another trip back.

Best course in the country

Wow, #2 is a true gem. The experience in the clubhouse, the people in the clubhouse and the facilities at No. 2 are unmatched. The course is immaculate and very playable. The back nine is easier than the front nine and it's almost impossible to lose to a golf ball which really makes it "scoreable." I played here for 36 holes with my Dad. We had caddies for both rounds #Bob and Adam# and they were just awesome on the bag. A caddie is a must as there are reads on the greens you simply can't see ##11 for example.# The greens can be quite punishing if you pin seek the wrong pin placements but it's a true, fair test which I can't wait to go back and play again and again. Worth every penny. Get there early to practice and get used to the greens.

It's a beautiful day at Pinehurst

As the saying goes: “It’s a beautiful day at Pinehurst.” Well, that’s an understatement. The golf is second to none; and the resort defines “the lap of luxury.” I recently stayed at Pinehurst so I could play Donald Ross’s historic Number 2 for the first time since the stunning restoration by Bill Coore and Ben Crenshaw. I played it exactly one year after Number 2 hosted both the U.S. Men’s and Women’s Opens. The only difference from what everyone saw on TV those two weeks was that the course was beautifully lush and green. Yet, incredibly, it still played as the firmest, fastest course I’ve ever experienced anywhere in the world. Those conditions make Pinehurst No. 2 so demanding. When hitting approach shots into the very firm greens in regulation, the actual landing areas are much smaller than the size of the greens. If you don’t hit your approach into the proper spot, with the proper trajectory, your ball is bound to run off far from the hole, probably off the green. As all have seen on television, the green complexes at No. 2 are unlike any to be found in America. They harken back to Royal Dornoch, in The Scottish Highlands, where Donald Ross grew up and started his career. False fronts, false sides, false backs. When I played (missing many a green), what struck me the most was how different you must play your pitches and chips around the greens. The ground and grass are so firm, you can actually hear a short pitch shot land on the green. The entire experience is delightful. It’s not that you must be creative, but it’s that you get to be creative. Playing Pinehurst No. 2, walking with a caddie, is one of the greatest experiences a golfer can enjoy. The course is gorgeous. Every hole sets up wonderfully from the tee. No surprises — no tricks. Just perfect fairways winding through the tall pines and restored “natural areas.” Donald Ross considers No. 2 his greatest accomplishment. He loved it so much that he made his home here. The course presents a complete test of the game. In a sense, you’ve got to play each hole backwards. Know where the pin is, then understand what angle you’ll need to approach it. That will then determine where you want to hit your tee shot. To be successful you must think your way around the course. And you will probably hit every club in your bag. It’s no wonder the United States Golf Association has decided to make Pinehurst No. 2 a part of its U.S. Open rotation. To top it off is the Pinehurst Resort, itself. I was lucky enough to stay at The Carolina Hotel, the centerpiece of the resort for some 100 years. The old southern charm combined with an incredibly professional, pleasant and helpful staff and fabulous food make you feel quite special. There are now nine courses at Pinehurst. You can fly into Raleigh/Durham and the resort will send a van to pick you up. And once at the resort, a very well-oiled shuttle system can get you anywhere on the property quickly and efficiently. You could easily spend nine days there, play a different course every day and not worry about a rental car or where to eat. Just bring your clubs and a game. And, try to not hold up the group behind you when you stop to take all of those pictures.

Mike8074447
Commented On 09/11/2016

Perfectly said! Tough track but imminently playable and a perfect walking course, too. I played from the blue tees most of which were well within 50 yards of the tips and two of the par fives the pros play as par fours, and still I didn't get within 15 strikes of my handicap due to extra strokes getting up and down--and I had four one putts. Shame it's so darned expensive--I'd love to take several more cracks at it!

The crown jewel

The third course of our Father's Day trip did not disappoint. We showed up 90 min before our tee time to walk the halls and soak in the history of #2. We met our caddie (Kevin) in the basement who took our bags up to the range. Kevin grabbed a couple bags of balls and got us all set up on the range. Kevin cleaned the clubs when done on the range, exacatly what you expect from a caddie. Kevin took the time to know us and our game. Kevin then took us over to the #2 chipping green, which mimics #2 greens, which are different than the main putting green. The course is an easy walk (its cart path only), suggest taking a walking caddie. The course is a resort course and is playable (ie not a US Open setup). Be in the fairway, the fairways are waste lined with Donald Ross's wiregrass, which if you have never have hit out of, its slows the club down. Pin seeking is not a good idea, you will get the full Ross experience otherwise. The greens are fast and pending where you hit the ball on the turtleback, will be rejected. Good stat to keep track of, greens hit, ball rejected. Good photo opportunity is on the 18th tee box at the tips/ get in the 16th fairway and look up 18. Be sure to get your photo next to Payne after the round and have a drink on the patio.

Bucket List Round

I absolutely loved my Pinehurst experience. My wife and I stayed at the Carolina Hotel for three days on our trip. Our entire experience was filled with hospitality and class. My caddy, Brad, made my experience on #2 even more memorable. We plan on returning this fall. The breakfast buffet at the Carolina Hotel is not to be missed.

Southern Pines, North Carolina