Year Built 1921
Architect Donald Ross (1921) George Waters (2013) Kyle Franz (2013)

Caddies Yes
Golf School Academy Yes - "Pine Needles Golf Academy"
Practice Hole Yes

Excellent Course

Another supberb course. This too, was cart path only. I'm sure I got all my steps in that day (weight loss program). This course is also beautiful and made you work for your shots. I happened to find a couple of bunkers and managed to get out of them, but not always pretty.

Beautiful Sandhills course

I like this course more each time I play it. Weather was perfect and accentuated the beauty and the layout of the course. Being familiar with the course makes for a more enjoyable day , especially with the trouble around the elevated greens that you can't see on your approach. Angle into the green is crucial. The use of grasses through waste areas and bunkers makes for an interesting landscape and more challenging shots if you are in those areas. Had a nice lunch in the clubhouse afterwards. Really enjoy playing Mid-Pines -One of my favorites.

Golf Channel

Beautiful yet treacherous

Aesthetically this course is absolutely amazing, but man is it tough. You need to be laser accurate with your approach shots as the greens are undulating and nearly all have false fronts. It is a course I would like to play a few times and I feel I would play it better. Highly recommend checking out this course!

rWonderfully restored Donald Ross

Much tougher than it first appears, but course nestles into Carolina Sand Hills with lots of natural integration with surrounds. Fairly wooded for a restored course, but that's part of the original design intent. Ross greens slope off precipitously on the edges into surrounding low areas, waste sandy areas and bunkers. Keeps you on your toes throughout, with an elegant feel and sensibility.

Amazing layout

Overall, the course was awesome - favorite course I’ve ever played. We enjoyed it so much we re-rounded. Each round was under 4 hours. This included a 4 ball in front us the first time through and a 2 ball the second time through.

Greens were in great shape and challenging. The layout was interesting and I felt we hit every club in the bag. A couple fairways we’re being repaired and really had no impact on the day.

Would like to get back soon.

Great Layout - Poor Conditions

First off, this is an excellent design, regarded by many as the second best layout in Pinehurst (behind 2). The restoration in 2014 was brilliant and this course is a blast to play. That being said when I played it the course was poor shape, at least for the rate they were asking. The fairways were bare in many spots, and it seemed as though the summer heat plus over-watering had done a number on them. Apart from that and a more concerning issue, they seem to be letting the rough grow back in. After the 2014 restoration all of the rough was removed as was done at No. 2 to return the course to Ross' original design, however now Bermuda rough is beginning to grow back in in many of the natural areas (I played the course in 2014 during the US Open and there was no rough anywhere). In all this is a great course that anyone who hasn't played it should when they get the chance simply because of its remarkable design, but the $175 they are asking in the heat of the summer (and $200+ in the fall) is over-priced given the conditions of the course. If I had not had a special discount I would have been outraged.

Tried twice

I really want to like this course more because the design is good. However, the fact they cannot seem to manage keeping play much under 5 hours and the course conditions (washed out bunkers, no grass to speak of around greens) left a lot to be desired takes this off my future play list. I would play twice across the street at Pine Needles instead.

Excellent Course

Great course with a great layout. Seemed to play a little shorter than sister-course, Pine Needles. Most tee shots are straightforward with no hidden sightlines. The challenge of this course is primarily on the greens which are fairly fast and undulating, and they don't always hold your chip shots. Fairways and greens were pristine. Our group will probably include Mid Pines or Pine Needles on most of our future trips.

Indy Advisor

Classic Ross

Mid Pines is a classic Ross layout. It has the feel of a course its age as it meanders through the trees near the old lodge. Very visually beautiful with the natural turf, sand, and pine straw just off the fairways. It shows how even when the holes aren't tricked up a-la Tobacco Road that golf can still be fun, beautiful, and challenging.

As for the course itself, the greens are challenging though not as tricked up as some other Ross courses I've played. It's in solid shape for this time of year. Was able to maneuver around quickly as a solo on the cold morning, and it was not very busy when I finished either. Lots of elevated greens and some false fronts and sand traps will grab you. Spray off the tee and the trees await. But if you keep it in play you will have a good day if the putter cooperates. It carries a hefty price tag, but it's worth adding to your playlist if you're in the area and/or booking a package.

disappointed

This course came highly recommended . Last course of our 4 day trip. Greens where great condition, staff was friendly and welcoming, but there was hardly any grass on tees on fairways. Quite honestly this place looked tired.

Commented on 06/23/2018

Sorry to hear about your experience, I play Mid Pines frequently. You played the week after they sprayed out all of the overseeded rye grass. That’s one reason why the fairways and tees looked bad, the rye grass dying and Bermuda hadn’t filled in yet. Please give it another shot in early spring or late fall and you’ll see the true beauty.

Virginia Advisor

Near Perfect Greens

Despite the two reviews before mine the course and staff were awesome. The only issues I noticed in the course conditions were a handful of thin tee boxes. The fairways, waste areas, (there are no sand traps here by local rule they are waste areas) and what rough there is are all in good shape and fair. The greens are near perfect right now. They are rolling true, smooth and on the faster side. This is consistent with all the others time I have played here. For a more in depth review you can read my June 2017 review. The staff have always been top notch every time I have been here. I truly love the more natural feel to the course with the native grasses, the pine straw and again the waste areas in place of rough and bunkers. The food is delicious and I didn't feel it was overpriced for what you get. I have walked this course with a caddie, which I highly recommend, and used a cart. Either way you should give this historic Donald Ross design a play. This is still one of my favorite places in the Pinehurst/Southern Pines area.

Overpriced for Course Condition

We played this course on June 9th, 2018 and I was shocked at how poor the course was compared to my expectations. I heard and read good things, but the course just didn’t live up to it. Fairways, rough, tee boxes, and sand were all in poor shape. Reminded me of a muni course back home.

We played Mid South earlier that day and it is no comparison...Mid South is waaaaay better. If you get the choice, play Mid South over Mid Pines every day of the week. Funny thing is, the guys in the clubhouse asked where all we played and we said Mid South...they said it’s a nice course, we are better. Pretty confident in a course that just is average.

If you are going down to golf this course, please be aware of slow play, poor conditions, overpriced green fees, and overpriced food ($12 for a hot dog and chips). I would think they need to figure it out before the public realizes there are much better courses in the area and not relying just on the name.

Window busted

Wow-got my car window busted while in parking lot with 20 other cars. Somebody hit over the driving range net. They need to address that issue. My complaint: no compensation for the wind shield. How about a discount on our package, or free drink in bar? Really! My group spent $8000 for 3 days at the resort. WE WILL NEVER RETURN!!! Too much competition-how about some customer service?

WOW!

PERFECT FOR A BUDDIES TRIP

Our group of 20-24 has been doing an annual golf trip at a different location for the last five years. This year the group went to Mid Pines and Pine Needles. It did not disappoint. The trip was incredible.

It starts with the customer service. Tyler Yancey, the head pro, and Tyler Mishler, the group sales director, did a fantastic job of making us feel welcomed and taken care of. No detail went unaddressed. We do a 4 day Ryder cup style tournament. They set up scoreboards, made sure our pairings were right, checked in on us all of the time, and generally did everything they could to make sure the group was happy. I'm so thankful to them. We will definitely be coming back.

The courses. The courses. The courses. What can you say? Dont go into either course looking to shoot your best score ever. It aint going to happen! Particularly on Mid Pines, you need to get a feel for the golf course. Greens that you swear break one way end up breaking the other. Putts that you think are slow end up being fast. And, while you may think you have a nice sized green to hit into, in reality, unless you are on the correct 1/3 of it, you could be in jail. The course requires tremendous strategy, patience, and shot making ability. Every single golfer began the round at mid pines with the same question: "Really? We're only playing from 6150 yards?" Every single golfer came in with the same look of defeat on their face, haven just gotten their butt kicked by every inch of what they thought would be a short challenge.

The conditions were absolutely perfect. Azaleas and dogwoods were blooming. The fairways were like carpets. The greens were fast but not insane. During the late afternoons, the light creeps through the tall pines illuminating parts of the fairway. It's almost surreal, especially given the lack of housing or development along the course. Even better given that the finishing four holes at Mid Pines may be some of the best four finishing holes I've ever played. 16 is a beautiful dogleg left down from the most elevated tee on the course. 17 and 18 require perfectly shaped drives (a fade on 17 and a draw on 18), in order to put yourself in position to make par.

Mid Pines is much more of a shot-makers course than Pine Needles, where you're more free to grip it and rip it. When I polled the group as to their preference between the two, it was about even. I think the better golfers appreciated more the challenge of Mid Pines, while the higher handicappers enjoyed being able to make a few pars at Pine Needles.

The practice facilities are great. The people are super nice. You just cant go wrong.

The only constructive feedback we had: while the breakfast and lunch at Pine Needles was great, the dinner totally underwhelmed. Dry ribs, thin steak...it just wasn't great. By contrast, the course set up a catered dinner for us at one of the villas we were staying in (the Holly Villa), and it was spectacular. They even pulled in a heating lamp because it was a bit chilly outside. Second, the caddies were for the most part excellent. But the course mistakenly gave us someone who could only forecaddy on the last day even though that was not requested. When the last group went to tee off, the guys at Pine Needles became somewhat aggressive in guilting the foresome to take the caddy, which was a disappointing way to end the weekend.

Finally, the value is absurd (in the best way possible). It is what brought us to Mid Pines and Pine Needles in the first place. While the rack rate is quite expensive, they have great deals for big groups and longer stays. And to think we almost spent twice the price going to Pinehurst...silly us. This place is a golf mecca. Anyone who enjoys the game should make coming here, and experiencing some of Donald Ross's best work, a requirement.

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE AT MID PINES FOR ONE OF THE BEST GOLF EXPERIENCES OF OUR LIVES!

Stunning

What can you say about this course that hasn’t already been said? What a wonderful course. Conditions were amazing especially considering there was a high of 40° in February. Fairways were over seeded and in fantastic shape. Greens rolled perfectly although tricky because of the hidden grain; especially for my first time around the track. The layout is very playable and fair. Not overly long but this Donald Ross design unsurprisingly has withstood the test of time! First but certainly not the last! Highly recommended!!!

Denver Advisor

Ross Restored

Played Mid Pines 3 times in 2 days as part of a golf package through the Inn. Like Pinehurst #2, this course was recently restored. Waste areas are where bermuda rough once was and trees have been cleared. Despite the tree lining of one or both sides of the fairway, the trees don't come into play and the waste areas provide penalty. The result is a great Donald Ross design that plays how it should.
As with Ross courses, there are the wonderful green complexes. Not quite as turtlebacked as #2, but still plenty of domed greens to enhance and reward shot making.You need to be on the right tier or section-if you are not, then putting will be quite difficult to get down in two.
My favorite hole was the short par 4 fourth with a tree on one side of the fairway and a waste area on the other. Lay up and stay short or go for it? Being in the Sandhills, there are hills and many tee shots play downhill or uphill. Greens are elevated in many cases. The bunkering is great as there are only bunkers that are needed and not an abundance of them. The fairways are wide, but many holes dogleg so you need to be on the proper side for an approach that will have a chance at the targets.
Mid PInes was a pleasure to play and you can save money by doing a golf package (Depending on the season you can pay about $360 for two nights and six rounds of golf in three days) through the inn. They have everything you could want-proper bar, restaurant, putting green, chipping green and driving range. The service is top notch.
If you are going to Pinehurst, this should be on your itinerary. After Pinehurst, for me, this was next best full Ross experience.You can see his work has been restored to its full glory. Highly recommended.

Don't miss this Carolina Sandhills classic

Next to Pinehurst No. 2, it’s hard to beat Mid Pines, another classic Donald Ross classic course that has been restored to perfection. Mid Pines is actually less subtle than No. 2 and certainly has a different look, one that’s definitely all its own. If you’re a fan of Ross, you’ll love the greens complexes, of course, and probably get victimized a time or two by them if you don’t find the right part of the greens on your approach or miss a five-footer you simply couldn’t read. There are false fronts, of course, and greens that run away from you, meaning you definitely have to think your way around this golf course.

Time machine - in a good way

Great Ross design with excellent elevated greens and very cool bunkering and waste areas. Really enjoyed every hole. Played through a couple of foursomes and pace was good. They aerated 8-9 days ago and greens had already recovered very very well. Rolled smooth just a little slow as would be expected. Grounds crew was hard at work all over the place but never in the way. Great little bar to go to after. Nice view of course and great bartender. Best of the 6 courses I've played in the Sandhills area.

Virginia Advisor

True Top Course

This Donald Ross design is beautiful, fun and challenging all at the same time. Played about 10 days after they punched the greens so we got a break on the price. Still things were awesome. Despite all the rain lately the course played true with some run in the fairways and greens that held and putted true. Reserved two caddies for our foursome and it was well worth it. They saved us strokes and were great company on the walk. This course may not be overly long but it will bite you if you end up in the wrong place. Truly a beautiful scenic walk on a great golf course. Practice facility was good and the practice green matched the greens on the course. The restaurant had good food. It was a little pricey but delicious. If you are in the Southern Pines/Pinehurst area this is a must play.

4.7203647059

Valid dates: Nov 15, 2019 - May 31, 2020
Conveniently located 20 minutes from the airport, the new We-Ko-Pa Resort & Conference Center features 246 contemporary guestrooms and suites designed with Native American traditions, bold Southwestern cuisine at Ahnala Restaurant, luxurious spa treatments and salon services at the Amethyst Spa and a spacious heated outdoor pool with two whirlpools.
From $1900