The Heritage Club

Heritage Club is a tribute to the rice culture that also revered the land centuries ago. Over 600 acres of giant magnolias, 300-year old oaks, fresh water lakes and marshes have been transformed into a unique golfing community to rival the finest in the world. Built on the site of True Blue and Midway Plantations, located in Pawleys Island,SC., Heritage Plantation reflects a history of gracious living. The par 71 golf course serves as the focal point for Heritage Plantation. The centuries-old trees, blossoming flowers, and rice fields endow each hole with a different and intriguing look. A magnificent avenue of oaks leads to the 12,000 sq. ft. southern colonial clubhouse overlooking the Waccamaw River.
Scorecard for Myrtle Beach
Gold M: 74.9/138 417 598 447 440 427 203 442 155 354 3483 606 170 367 228 426 462 416 454 506 3635 7118
Blue M: 73.0/132 391 564 422 430 411 185 412 145 336 3296 521 140 346 200 394 442 403 427 487 3360 6656
White M: 71.1/127 W: 78.1/148 369 536 404 420 384 165 399 135 320 3132 507 125 332 175 381 426 374 388 470 3178 6310
Green M: 68.6/120 W: 70.2/136 369 497 339 321 384 165 318 135 320 2848 507 125 274 110 300 390 347 330 470 2853 5701
Red M: 66.3/114 W: 68.0/130 261 497 339 321 331 140 318 125 210 2542 388 100 274 110 300 390 327 330 440 2659 5201

Year Built 1986
Fairways Dwarf Bermuda
Greens Champion Ultra
Architect Dan Maples

Walking Allowed No
Dress code Proper golf attire.

Group Getaways 6

Nice conditions

Played a pre-World Am round at Heritage. Course was in very good condition. Greens were nice, albeit a bit slow. Fairways, bunkers, tee boxes all in good shape. Staff at bag drop and, in pro shop and restaurant all friendly and helpful.

Had breakfast buffet and lunch there. Food was good.

Great Value

I last played at Heritage Club in 1998. I liked it then and still like it in 2018. Good condition. Huge greens. I had a 135 foot putt on one green.

Pace of play is awful because they go off both sides. When we got to the 10th tee - 3 groups on the tee box.

The best thing about the $70 greens fee. This included breakfast, lunch and 2 beers. You can't beat that!

Poorly Managed

Our tee time was 12:10 and we did not get off until after 1PM; reason being they had added a foursome to both the front and back morning tee times.

Then did not ranger the course properly.

They did not care that they put our group over 45 minutes late on our tee time and fouled up our evening dinner plans.

They do not move slow groups along which made the round even worse.

We play this course every year on our Spring trip; never again. Poorly, Poorly managed.

I have found Heaven, and Heritage is its name...

I brought my golf group of 28 down for our annual outing. Heritage Club was highly recommended, and they did not disappoint. The staff was first class, the course was awesome, and we had a blast! This course was one of the most scenic I've played, with the old oaks, Spanish moss, and the wildlife. Doglegs abound, along with water. Long holes, short holes, and everything in between, this course was a joy to play. Just have your putter dialed in!!!

The marshals came around periodically to maintain pace of play and were extremely friendly. I highly recommend this course!

Almost there

First time playing this course. We have played Caledonia, Litchfield, True Blue, etc, and we were so pleasantly surprised. Very similar feel to Caledonia, at less than half the price. Conditions are a little rough, greens and fairways are halfway back to normal. We played Tidewater, Thistle, and TPC Myrtle Beach on this trip as well, and it's the same story everywhere. Warm February started the growth, cool March killed everything. The people at Heritage were unbelievable. Everyone was so friendly and helpful. Clubhouse was pristine. The layout alone makes it one of my favorite courses on the east coast, and definitely top 2 on the strand. We will be back!!

What a value and above average layout

A must play for the money. The deal they have is breakfast lunch and 2 drinks included! The layout is very good with the back nine the best and about 3 shots harder imo from the blue tees. Rough was tough so hit the FW. FWs were good enough to play it down and the tee boxes were great (looks like they may have done some work on the tees based on previous reviews). Greens were the only reason I didn't give it a 5. Sandy and were plugged about 2 weeks ago. Would package this with True Blue and Cal which are all within a mile of each other. Unlike Pawleys this over delivered.

The Heritage Club – Plantation Golf at Its Best

The Heritage Club is all about gracious, tasteful living. Look at the houses along the course and you’ll know what I mean; graceful estates that exemplify southern plantation living. Driving to the golf course you get the sense that you’re in store for something special.

Your day at the Heritage Club begins at the gated entrance and a drive beneath majestic oak trees leading to a Southern Colonial clubhouse overlooking the Waccamaw River. This 18-hole Dan Maples masterpiece is built on the site of the True Blue and Midway Plantations, where over 600 acres of magnolia trees, 300-year-old moss-draped oaks, and fresh water lakes and marshes have been transformed into a golf course and community that rival the finest in America. It’s no wonder that the Heritage Club was ranked #33 in 2009 by Golf Digest as one of “America’s 100 Greatest Public Courses” and has received 4 ½ stars in “Best Places to Play”.

At the Heritage Club, you can choose from 5 sets of tees that measure between 5,201 and 7,118 yards. Your level of enjoyment on this championship track will begin with your ability to choose the right set of tees. Bite off more than you can chew, and you’re in for a long day. The White Tees at 6,310 yards carry a course rating of 71.1 and a slope of 127 and provided a fitting challenge.

The front nine is predominantly woods and trees, and Maples (not the trees) does a great job of using trees to shape holes and many tee shots. It’s not uncommon to stand on the tee box and wonder what you’re going to do about that lone tree standing between you and that ideal tee shot. On the back nine, you’ll encounter more water – it comes into play on at least 5 holes. All holes culminate on large, well-undulated Champion Bermuda greens that are often guarded by water, trees and/or sand. The greens are in superb shape and roll true at a moderate pace. An abundance of flora and fauna can be seen as you make your way around the course including, crepe myrtles, azaleas alligators and bald eagles. But that’s nothing compared to the golf!

Memorable Holes

Number 1: Par 4, 369 yards (White Tees). The first hole is memorable because it sets you up for something you will encounter many times off the tee – a tree in your way! Fade it gently around the tree sticking out into fairway 200 yards down on the right and you’ll set yourself up for a short pitch into a two-tiered green. This is a good starting hole, especially if you can maneuver around the tree.

Number 5: Par 4, 384 yards (White Tees). It’s about a 200-yard carry over the bunkers on the left. Get caught up in the bunkers or the mounding that surrounds them and you’re looking at some pretty funky lies. A good tee shot will leave an approach under 150 to a Trillium-shaped green with many subtle undulations. It’s not uncommon to have to measure the break in a putt by feet instead of inches.

Number 13: Par 3, 175 yards (White Tees). A long par 3 that is all carry over water. The long,, slender green angles away from the tee, making front left and back right pin placements a challenge. Two small bunkers on the back-side of the green shouldn’t come into play, at least you should hope they don’t!

Number 18: Par 5, 470 yards (White Tees). Heritage Club saves the best for last. Unless you’re a true long-ball hitter off the tee or a masochist, this is a three-shot hole. Push your tee shot left and you’ll likely find the water. Hit a stellar drive and you’re still looking at about 220 to the green with a 60-yard wide pond that guards the front. Best to lay up and hit a pitch shot in. Beware, there’s water right. This is a challenging finishing hole.

Heritage Club has a practice center that includes a full-length grass range as well as chipping and putting greens. Inside the clubhouse, you’ll find a nicely stocked pro shop, men’s and women’s locker rooms with showers and a restaurant/lounge with outdoor patio that serves breakfast, lunch and all your favorite libations.

Last Word

The Heritage Club isn’t a course that lets you come out and just bomb away off the tee; you need to think your way around and hit placement shots if you want to score well. This is especially true on some of the doglegs where, if you hit it short or long of the dogleg, you’ll have no clear shot to the green. Like any Lowcountry golf course, Heritage Club has its share of sand and marsh carry shots, with mild elevation changes.

I’m told that the Heritage Club does over 65,000 rounds a year and in my mind, there are a couple of reasons why. First off, the golf course is incredible – well maintained, challenging and friendly. Secondly is the staff – always smiling, helpful and willing to answer any question. Thirdly, is the fact that your greens fee includes a breakfast buffet, lunch with a wide variety of options and two free beers or fountain drinks during or after your round. You can make a day of it!

The Heritage Club is part of Legends Golf Resort and America’s most awarded golf trail -- the Waccamaw Trail. For more information or to book a tee time at The Heritage Club, Click Here.

Pace of play

Great course. Great holes. Great scenery. Good conditions. Please space out the tees times. 5.5 hour rounds are awful.

S L O W ... and they do not care

This was our 3rd attempt to play at The Heritage. 1st attempt took us 5 3/4 hours to play 18 holes. 2nd attempt took 5 1/2 hours to play 18 holes. 3rd time, we drove off after 9 holes in 3 1/4 hours, packed our stuff in the truck and left the cart in the parking lot. NEVER AGAIN will I set a foot on The Heritage. The pace of play is beyond horrible and the people working there could care less.

Heritage Still Hits it Outta The Park

Included in the round was a buffet style breakfast. Bacon, sausage, eggs, home fries, and a drink! Course was in great condition. Fairways in great shape, HUGE undulating greens in superb condition. Where you putted the ball, that's where it went. Very scenic course built on a former plantation with plenty of water an well guarded greens. I found the back much tougher than the front. If I was gonna nitpick some of the tees were a little ratty. But who G.A.S. about that? Your putting it on a tee man! At the end of the round we were treated to a complimentary lunch and 2 drinks. Are you freaking kidding me? Get down here and play this course people it's well worth it.

Very slow play

Was not impressed. When we arrived, it looked impressive. Beautifully landscaped. Fairways were very lush. The greens were awful, with crazy swales and very gimmicky. You never knew where your ball was going. The starter, who was very nice, told us they were running around a 9. Maybe a 5, with all the sand on them.

We were a twosome stuck behind an 'outing' of 20-24 golfers, or should i say playa's. You know the type....once a year players together at a Myrtle Beach course. We finished 11 holes in almost 4 hours eaiting for these clowns. Spent more time inthe cart waiting than playing golf. The marshall kept assuring us that the pace would pick up after 7 because the morning players were getting done. Well, it got slower and slower.

This is the second time we walked off a course because of slow play.

Won't ever be back!

arkfan
Commented On 06/20/2017

Yep, your review is "spot-on" about The Heritage course. I also have walked off the course twice. The last time we left the cart in the parking lot. We have a place in Pawley's Island we use for weekends etc ..... play golf in the area all the time but will never step onto Heritage again because of the pace of play.

S L O W ... and they do not care

If you are good with 5 1/2 hour rounds, go to it at The Heritage. If you are no good with 5 1/2 hour rounds, avoid The Heritage like the plague. The place is the Mother-Ship for the Legends resort courses and it stays over-booked all the time. Mentioning it to anyone working at the course is useless. I own a place in the Pawley's Island area and play courses all up and down the Grand Strand when there but will never play at The Heritage again.

tees and greens not good

I was looking forward to playing Heritage. The layout is good. However, I was disapointed with the condition of the greens and tees. All the greens were slow and bumpy. There were several tees that were closed and/or painted green. Several holes we had to tee off from the fareway!

Nice place, but they must fix the pace of play

Played 18 holes at The Heritage in March 2017. Lovely upon arrival, everything looked good. Large crowd at the bag drop should have made me nervous, but I remained oblivious. The round took over 5 1/2 hours. We waited every single shot. Barely finished in twilight, although we teed off at 1pm. I politely complained to the staff when we finished, and was told it would be passed on, but I'd have better luck by posting this review. 65000 rounds per year are pushed through (according to staff), so often 3 groups on a single hole. It's a nice course, wonderful design. A little beat up on the greens from traffic. I had planned to buy a hat, or something, but the place was shut down when we finished, although I'd already decided not to due to aforementioned SLOW PLAY. Never saw a marshall. The point of this is that the slow play is caused by the course, not the players. Avoid this one if you like to play with any kind of rhythm.

Hole-in-One for a Par

On March 1, 2017, I was playing with three friends when a very unusual event occurred. I am 68 years old and have been playing golf for 55 years. On Hole #6, a par 3 playing approximately 130 yards that day, I hit my first ball OB. I teed up another ball and hit it in the hole for a PAR. I have never had a Hole-in-One, and I still don't. However I don't imagine this is a common way to par a hole. My bag tag # for that day was 576277

Georgia Advisor

New favorite course in Pawleys Island

I was staying for the week just down the road at Litchfeild by the sea and made a tee time here. This 1986 Dan Maples masterpiece is great course with lots of water and swamps. The Heritage Club sign outside with the moss gives a nice touch as you walk into one of the premier public courses in Pawleys Island. As I arrived the staff was wonderful and got tons of balls on the range. The facilities where great and really liked the way the clubhouse was designed.

The Marshall on the first tee was very nice and told us about the pin positions and where you could and could not drive out. The weather the day my group played it was wet and humid but it wasn't to bad. The course itself wasn't in the best shape in Myrtle beach but the layout was fantastic, with the big trees and swampy areas through the course which I would image is loaded with crocs in the summer. The greens and bunkers where good and rough was thick.

The food in the clubhouse was OK but if you want really good food I would suggest that you go to Moe's BBQ down the road a few minutes. Overall for Winter conditions I liked the course but would recommend going in the spring or even the summer for conditions.

Heritage a Home Run

I've found my favorite course in Mrytle Beach.From the first hole til the eighteenth this course is a gem.Fairways a 10, greens a 10,and the tee boxes a 10 also. Huge oaks shape the holes and water comes in to play on half of them. The par threes were all mid-irons which is perfect for the mid-handicapper. A lot of courses down here seem to try to make up for the short par 4's down here with 200 yd par 3's. Not here.Compared to the other courses in the area the price is a steal. Beautiful picturesque pleasing to the eye golf course. Will definitely be back.

Atlanta Advisor

Tough greens here but decent track!

This course can play very difficult and can almost seem unfair (but I think I just played bad). With many approach shots, I ended up on the wrong part of the greens forcing 3-putts. The severe undulations in the greens are the courses best defense and I struggled here for that reason. That in combination with the flow of the grain made my day pretty bad but it's not necessarily the courses fault. It's a decent layout with a lot of doglegs and very few driver holes. Overall, with the meals/drinks you get with your round here, it's a good addition to a golfers trip. This is definitely a course that you need to play 3 or 4 times before really being able to go low. I wish I could've had better success!

Atlanta Advisor

A good deal of a round when food is added!

The layout here reminds me of a less-exciting Caledonia golf course. Less elevation change and less esthetically pleasing due to the neighborhood that it sits on. (Although I will say, the houses here are quite extravagant) The food that is included in your round here is pretty good and can make a round of golf feel better. The greens here are tough to read, spend extra time learning how to hit into/against the grain and your day will be much easier. Overall, a good round of golf on Pawleys Island especially with a few scenic island greens that really are fun to challenge.

Nice Course Fairly Easy but challenging

The course was in good shape. The fairways are very spacious some of them must be 50 yards wide making the old adage grip it and rip it lots of fun. The greens didn't hold shots as well as other greens we'd played around the area. They seem like they had been re-done with new grass and were very firm even though it had rained for several days. SW or LW with lots of spin that would normally stop or spin back would release several feet. Add to this that a lot of the greens slope away from you adds to the challenge of getting the ball close to pin.

Georgetown, South Carolina