Style Links

Located at the eastern end of Kiawah Island, the Ocean Course meanders along 2 3/4 miles of pristine oceanfront property. According to Pete Dye, "there's no other golf course in the Northern Hemisphere that has as many seaside holes." Believe us when we tell you that this is a "must play, bring lots of balls along" experience for any golfer visiting the Charleston area.

Year Built 1991
Fairways Paspalum Grass
Greens Paspalum Grass
Architect Pete Dye (1991) Alice Dye (1991)

Caddies Yes

Single Allowed No

Snacks, Restaurant

Showers, Lockers, Locker Rooms

Plays Long 9
A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 16

Ocean fun

I recently had the pleasure of enjoying a round on this course, I was attending a 2 day event sponsored by the AMTOUR. I was able to play two very good courses on the island, Turtle Point and the Ocean course. I will say the Ocean course is all it's billed to be both challenging and rewarding in the awesome views from the course. I would highly recommend playing this course if you ever get the chance or opportunity

Course was in perfect condition...
Never had a bad lie in fairway and greens rolled true with good speed.....must play course...

Loved the course

Facility from entrance to exit was immaculate. Course played tough but very forgiving off the tee. The caddy was outstanding and I suggest anyone who plays the course for the first time get this experience as well. Will definitely save you strokes and make your leisurely walk more memorable.

Brilliant

I have had the good fortune of playing many great courses and don’t understand how this course is not ranked in the top 5
Incredibly fair for any level with sensible teeing options
Multiple ways to play most holes that work for long hitters or those who are not so long
Fantastic condition, even more significant considering it’s location and the challenges presented.
I remember the holes because they were all different
Even when playing badly the views and location made it difficult not to thoroughly enjoy a day’s golfing. Not many courses can say this

Golf Channel Major round at Ocean course

This course is extremely challenging. At this time of year (March) the greens are very firm and fast with not a lot of grass. Very difficult to read and get speed correct. The layout is breath taking. I would love to do it again in June when the greens are prime

A great Course, a great day, and a great experience

I played the course on a perfect sunny day in the mid-50's with about 5 mph wind. cool enough to walk, and just low enough temperature and enough wind to challenge me and keep the bugs at bay.

i was playing in the Golf Channel Amateur Tour and it was a terrific experience of challenging golf , fantastic views, great people, and a terrific caddie. When you go, the caddie can make a huge difference.

The course was in great condition. i believe the secret to enjoying a course like this is not only the weather, getting a caddie who knows the course, and playing from the right tees. i scored the lowest score i have ever scored in competition to prove the point.

I have been very fortunate to play Pebble Beach, Torrey Pines, Doral, and many other famous courses. i enjoyed the golf here as much as Pebble Beach and the scenery rivals both Pebble and Torrey Pines. the view of the ocean, the flora and fauna were an added bonus. ok, i'm biased. i've been a sailor for 30 years, so playing golf by the ocean is nirvana for me. Nonetheless, this course is a bucket list candidate for any golfer who wants to experience a unique course, without flying to Scotland or the west coast.

Great Experience

Really enjoyed playing this course. It was extremely challenging. Helped a lot to have a great caddie. Thanks Mike.

Great Day

The course was in great shape with perfect weather. My caddie Alva was fantastic, overall a fantastic day playing golf

Yes - It’s that good

I went back and forth on whether to take the trip to play the famed Ocean Course. It had been the last of the top courses that I really felt I needed to play or at least had reasonable access to play. The question was, should I cough up the money. I did it and I’m glad I did. Don’t skimp on the caddy. You will walk further if you take a cart. It’s an easy walk and you really experience the whole golf course along the way. I was surprised that the fairways were as wide as they were. But placement and the angle you approach from is paramount. Precision with shots into the green will decide how well you score. Greens are true and fast and You never need to touch your ball, fairways are that good. Excellent conditions. I recommend you experience everything The Ocean course has to offer. Soak in the view from the clubhouse, the warmth of the fireplace, the history in the locker room, stories from the caddies, beer and burger in the Ryder Cup bar. The Ocean Course is worth it and it deserves its high ranking amongst the best.

In my top 3!

This was my second visit to the Ocean course and I played it three times in three days. The location and layout are amazing. I definitely recommend grabbing your own caddy because this is one of the best walks in golf. Every hole is different and there’s not a bad one on the course. The caddie program is excellent here and they definitely enhance your round.
Come prepared to play in the wind and make sure you understand how to play out of those hard pan bunkers. That wind definitely affects your putts so take your caddy’s advice on the line.
If you haven’t been down here yet, go!

A must play course that will challenge your golf skills.

The Ocean course will challenge your golf patience.
Bucket list course is a must and worth the long drive. Every shot from tee to green must be thought out due to the windy conditions. Ocean course will play long so play tees of your skill to enjoy the round and all the beautiful senic views. I suggest you practice your tight lie short game before playing and watch putting with the wind. Greens are outstanding. Hitting out of bunkers will be differnt because of packed sand. A caddie is a must. Henry, my caddie, was the best. Accommodations are great with many great food choies. Breakfast at the Town Market is a must. Make sure you take your wife!!

Gotta Go!

There are plenty of bucket list golf courses for people who play regularly and this is certainly one of them. In many cases, you can pay a lot of money and just not feel like it was worth the time and cost involved. Not here! This experience lived up to the hype and then some. What a spectacular facility. The course while certainly difficult is fair. I am sure the second time around will be even better! It is a top shelf golf experience all around. Just go!

A Complete Golf Experience

The Ocean Course is everything you would want in a challenging Pete Dye layout. Mr. Dye distracts you with the majestic ocean views while putting your entire game and all your senses to a fantastic test of golf. The golf course staff was very hospitable, making you feel right at home. The caddies were second to none. A “Must Have” when playing a Dye course! Can’t wait for a return trip to Kiawah Island and playing the famous Ocean Course!

Very Nice Course, but Oddly Different

I'll start off by saying this is an unbelievable golf course. But... It's much different than most golf courses. Reason being there aren't any bunkers. All of the green side bunkers are hard pan. It takes getting used to. Sometimes getting into a green side bunker isn't such a penalty. Here it is. Unless your used to playing muni courses then you won't have any trouble. With that being said it's all around a great course. This is why it is a major in 2021 for the pros. When the wind is up like it was when I played it, good luck. Even when the wind is down it is extremely difficult. All of the greens are raised higher than I've ever played. Even when you hit the green there is a good chance your ball will bounce and fly over the green or spin and come right of the slope. The greens were fast and crunchy when I played it. The grass was dormant when I played it as well. I'm assuming during the spring and summer the greens smooth out and become much more playable.

The only reason I could even give this course a 4 star in the course conditions, value for the money, and course layout is because of the bunker or lack their of conditions. There technically aren't any bunkers on the course as they all play like wastelands. Anyways this is a wonderful track, one of the the best challenges I have ever faced. I'm basically nit picking the conditions and bunkers, but I wanted to provide my honest feedback.

Anyways everyone should play this course at some point in their life. It's a true test and a great course.

Windy and Cold

Played a practice round with 2 friends on a Fri before our Golf Channel AM Tour 2 day tournament, then another round Sat during the tournament (final round was on Turtle Point course). Ocean course conditions were tough to say the least with 55 degree high temp, mostly cloudy, winds 15-25 mph. Beautiful and very challenging golf course with all bunkers (hard packed mud) treated as waste areas. Greens were in poor shape during our practice round, but were mowed and much more speedy and consistent for the tournament round.

Best course I've everplayed

The Ocean Course at Kiawah is a true test of your golf game. The views, from the time you arrive, are spectacular. You'll see plenty of the Atlanic Ocean. I'd definitely recommend a walking caddie. The wind is what makes this course deserving of the title of Americas toughest, and the caddies do a great job helping you navigate your way around the links. Do yourself a favor and check out the Ryder Cup Bar in the clubhouse. The food is fantastic.....I recommended the Bagger burger btw. Can't wait to get back on Kiawah Island.

Beautiful Beast

Played the Ocean Course this morning and was blown away by the beauty of the course and it’s surroundings. I was lucky enough to play on a day that although cool, was pretty benign wind wise (about a 1 club wind). Going in you should know that if you are the average golfer there are just gonna be some shots you can’t make. Especially around the greens. I highly recommend putting off the tightly mown areas. Even if it’s up a steep slope. There were some really elevated table top greens where if you tried to pitch it to hit it high enough you had to swing hard and risk it rolling off the green on the other side, unless you can really flop it. The greens were very smooth and very fast. Especially down wind. They are generally pretty flat and putts don’t break that much. The fairways are very generous but if you miss them there isn’t much rough. They are gone into the waste areas which may or may not be playable. The course itself is beautiful and in perfect shape. As are the areas around the course. It’s just more scenic than anywhere else I’ve ever been. And the holes on the ocean are unbelievable. Trust your caddie. He knows more about the course than you do. There are several holes where Pete Dye tries to trick your eyes and things you think are on one side of the fairway may be in the middle. Or things you think are in the middle are on the right side. He knows his lines. My caddie was Robbie and he was awesome! He quickly learned my club selection and was very helpful with yardage, lines, and the affect of the wind and would suggest a club. He also helps you look for you ball when you hit it in the junk. Take plenty of balls. I’m a bogey golfer and in my two previous rounds I think I had lost 2 balls total. And I lost 6 at the Ocean Course. You’ll find some to replace the ones you lose. I’d say I shot about 10 strokes higher than my handicap but I did make several (4-5) pars. But I didn’t keep score and don’t recommend you do unless you are better than a 10-12 handicapper. Enjoy the walk, enjoy the scenery, and enjoy the company. To make it more affordable boom the Golf and Gourmet Package. $300 gets you a round on the Ocean Course, a night in a condo, and $100 food credit. $200 gets you the same room, a round on any of the other courses and a $50 food credit. I highly recommend it once in your life!

Must Play

Played this as part of a winter special where the round plus 2 nights as well as a round at Osprey Point was only $250, found this price very reasonable but would have a tough time paying $450 for just 18 holes in prime season to take the beating this course delivers. The course is very demanding especially when the wind picks up as it did for us on the back nine, but if you can keep a driver in play then a respectable score is possible (for the Ocean purse that is). Overall the course was in excellent shape especially for January, and considering when we played it it had recently had a fair amount of rain the fairways were excellent. The greens are a bit fast but nothing terrible and roll very true. The only knock on the course is that it emphasizes target golf a little too much for a course so exposed to the wind. I found the scenery on both sides to be fantastic and don’t understand the complaint that the front isn’t close enough to the ocean, the scenery it provides is even more unique than the ocean and is equal to the backside. Overall an excellent course that will test every aspect of your game but especially your endurance and will to push on, it is an easy course to give up on. If you can play it in the winter for a deep discount and are fortunate enough to have the excellent weather we did then do not pass it up, otherwise save up and play because it is worth it if even only once.

Great golf on the ocean!

Played the ocean course at Kiawah! Which has hosted the Ryder cup and is hosting the PGA in 2021! The course condition is excellent! The layout is hard to beat with very memorable holes and green strings ! The wind plays into every shot so one needs patience to play and a good caddie as they k ow the course and where is best to hit your tee shots as well as approach shots into green or where to lay up if needed !
I felt the course was great and challenging yet very fair overall which is important in playability

I would recommend giving this course a try as you will surely enjoy the experience

Tom

Ocean Course

God placed his hand on this land and created the Ocean Course. We played in 4 1/2 hours which was perfect. This time frame allowed us to enjoy the scenery and take photos. My caddy Mike was very informative on were to hit my shots and showing the breaks on the greens. I hope to play there again in the near future.

Request A Vacation Quote From Kiawah Island Golf Resort
Please provide your information below and a staff member at Kiawah Island Golf Resort will be in contact to help you start planning your travel.
Charleston, South Carolina