Year Built 1974
Architect Pete Dye (1974) Pete Dye (2004) Ed Ault (1982) Tom Clark (1982) Brian Ault (1982)

Dress code Proper golf attire.

Golf Channel

River Course is fun, memorable and challenging

The River Course is another example of a Pete Dye layout that really is very player friendly. The fairways are wide, the bunkers aren't too penal and the greens really aren't that severe. It's not a pushover, by any means, but it really is enjoyable for most players.

The course is perfectly suited for the upcoming Pure Silk Championship on the LPGA Tour. Last year's event was won in a playoff by Ariya Jutanugarn, who was 14-under-par through the first 54 holes. The year before Lexi Thompson went 20-under, so there are lots of birdies out there for good players.

While the course is enjoyable throughout, the finishing stretch is one of the more memorable you'll ever play. The 16th is a downhill left-to-right par 4 with a green perched in a precarious position that makes your approach shot critical. Any miss below presents a challenging up and down opportunity, to say the least. The 17th, is a beautiful par 3 that runs along the shores of the James River, and the tee shot on the par-4 18th, all carry over a lake that then runs down the left side of the fairway, is among the most difficult on the course.

Pace of play was horrible

I really liked the course, but my experience could have been better. Apparently, there are home-owners who play this course who seem to get special consideration. The foursome in front of us was painfully slow. All were walkers with pull-carts which is why I assume they were home-owners - most resort players don't bring pull-carts. I called the pro shop when we were on the 7th tee (with groups lined up behind us). The pro was reluctant to do anything because, as he said, the slow foursome was only playing 9 holes. We were encouraged that our misery would only last 3 more holes. But when we got to the 10th tee, we were shocked to see a 5-some (yes, you read that right) was put out right in front of us on the back 9. They were walking with pull-carts so I assume home-owners again. For one hole, the 5-some turned into a 6-some when a neighbor came out to join them. Given the cost to stay at Kingsmill, I would have expected a better experience.

Always in Excellent Shape!

Even in February, this course is in excellent shape. The tee boxes, fairways, and greens were beautiful and well manicured. And, the rough is definitely THE ROUGH--they keep this rough long to ensure a championship experience. My advice--stay in the fairway and avoid the rough at all costs. The new owners (Escalante) understand golf course management and have improved The River tremendously over the previous owners. This course is where the LPGA plays in May, and it is a treat, especially #16, #17 and #18 which run up to and along the James River. Throughout the course, you will see historical sites, which just add to the beauty of this course. Don't underestimate this course--it's a Dye course and you need to be accurate or expect 1-2 more strokes added.

Excellent Condition in December

Course has been well maintained and the grass has held up into late December. Having played several high end courses in the area, the River Course is maintained to some of the highest standards for the region.

My HomCourse

If you want a championship test of your golf skills, this it is. LPGA plays here and PGA did until equipment allowed them to overpower the course. Good challenge but fair. No flat lies and greens will challenge you. Great way to enjoy the game.

Love the River

Disclaimer I live here, but that doesn’t take anything away from the course. Great condition all the time, playable for most levels of golfer, and the whole facility is great! LPGA plays one of the best tournaments on tour here and there’s so many great holes. 3 is a great par 5 as is 7. 8 and 9 are tough 4s. I’ve played a lot of courses on the east coast and 15-18 is my favorite four hole stretch period. If you’re a history buff check out the site between 16 and 17. This is a course you need to play if you’re in the Williamsburg area it’s a treat.

River Course at Kingsmill

Very nice golf course. Greens always good. Premium for keeping the ball in the fairway when rough is sup in the summer. Nice vistas along the river. Fun to watch the LPGA players during the Kingsmill Championship. Club staff very welcoming. One of the best courses in the Williamsburg/Newport News area.

Fantastic golf and spa, but the rest of the resort needs some work.

I cannot say enough fine things about the golf course and golf facilities at Kingsmill. The courses (both the River and Plantation) were challenging, but not so challenging that I ever felt like I was in over my head. Both courses were in fantastic condition. The greens ran true and fast. The driving range was lovely. The staff was fantastic, including the pros (seriously, if you are in the market for golf instruction, consider a weekend at Kingsmill). Great pro shop as well. And a nice bar to have a burger for lunch. Also- the cart girl makes a mean Bloody Mary.

The spa was also world class. The massage therapist really knew what she was doing, and helped me out a lot with a lingering shoulder injury. Really impressed with the spa.

If I were solely rating Kingsmill on the golf and spa, it would be five stars, hands down. Unfortunately, to play there, you have to be a guest of the resort, which disappointed. Again, the facilities were beautiful, and the rooms were fine, but the food left much to be desired (I'm being generous with that statement) and for a resort that charges over $400 a night, the wine list was pathetic. Additionally, the reservation staff messed up our reservation and we were informed that we would have to move rooms halfway through our stay (seriously?). When we finally worked something out so that would not be the case, they messed up our parking passes and room keys and when I tried to explain to the front desk what had happened (all I really wanted to do was go to bed), the girl at the desk was quite rude. There really needs to be better communication between the front desk and the reservation staff. And if you are going to charge that much and market yourself as a five diamond resort, get a chef who can provide something better than Cupcake Chardonnay and slimy crab dip.

Would I go again? Absolutely. In fact, I anticipate that happening. The golf, again, is world class and makes it more than worth the disappointment I experienced with the front desk staff and food. So yes- I would hands down recommend you consider Kingsmill for a great golf vacation . . . just make a plan to go into town and eat dinner elsewhere at the end of the day.

Fun Pete Dye layout

Pete Dye was actually brought in a few years ago to soften the course up for the resort player and make it a little tougher for the better player, which is exactly what he did. Fairways are generous and if you can avoid the bunkers, the course is very playable. Loved the closing stretch of holes -- 16, 17 and 18 -- with the backdrop of the James River and clubhouse.

good course

The River course, home of the LPGA Kingsmill Classic, was in good shape for this time of the year. Greens rolled true. Fairways in good shape. Only hideous situations was the removal of cartpaths, especially in the vicinity of 16 tee 17 and 18.

Valid dates: Dec 05, 2019 - Nov 01, 2020