Type Semi-Private/Resort
Green/Two 72 5228 yards 64.8 107
Blue/One 72 4521 yards 66.2 103
Wee 72 2696 yards
Scorecard for Southwood Golf Club
Black M: 74.3/135 547 375 227 628 393 162 370 427 459 3588 562 335 455 202 412 443 541 207 427 3584 7172
Gold M: 71.6/126 512 359 197 599 359 149 325 391 445 3336 530 311 423 190 379 406 511 163 405 3318 6654
Garnet M: 68.9/116 W: 74.3/130 476 342 156 575 329 122 288 347 413 3048 498 285 389 143 348 337 482 132 373 2987 6035
Green M: 64.8/107 W: 70.2/117 406 263 123 463 324 110 258 340 339 2626 403 272 317 136 302 330 401 122 320 2603 5229
Blue W: 66.2/103 406 262 71 276 276 82 258 272 339 2242 403 221 202 90 302 247 401 93 320 2279 4521
Wee W: 65.0/101 164 135 71 276 147 82 176 144 121 1316 243 128 202 90 177 122 165 93 160 1380 2696

Year Built 2002
Architect Fred Couples (2002) Gene Bates (2002) MacCurrach Golf (2002)

Credit Cards Accepted Amex MasterCard Visa Discover card(s) Welcomed
Dress code Proper golf attire must be worn at all times, including a collared shirt, dress shorts, slacks or shorts

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in Florida (2014 #23)

Entertaining Clients 12

Perfect Conditions - THICK Rough

Southwood is in great shape right not. But I think they are prepping for the US Open to be held here next year, as the rough is stinkin THICK. Lost a couple balls that didn’t miss the fairway by much. With fast soft greens and thick rough the course is playing tough.

Great Day at Southwood

Despite having serious rain over the last week the course was in very good shape. Really enjoy this course as it has generous fairways and mixes in challenging holes with some that offer an opportunity to score. The staff is always pleasant and the cart kid was on point despite it being his very first day.
Off-course amenities Average

In excellent shape

Played this course right after a heavy weak of rain and it was still playable and looked great.

Needs Some TLC

Really hoping that whoever purchases the course really gets the fairways and bunkers back in shape. Many fairways have spots without grass and or weeds and many bunkers could really use some sand. I found myself in the bunkers frequently this day and was disappointed that I was hitting the very bottom of the trap; essentially just a thin layer of sand between my ball and hard earth. Fairways are mowed however they really should be void of bare patches and have no weed patches. Despite these issues the greens are still in good shape throughout the course. I would not recommend paying full price to play here though.
Staff Friendliness Average
Off-course amenities Good

Hidden gem

Visiting a friend in Tallahassee I decided to play some golf, go figure. I know what your thinking, golf in Tallahassee, why Tallahassee when Florida boasts some of the best golf in the world; Orlando, Juno Beach, West Palm Beach, Ponte Vedra Beach and basically any town south of Jupiter on the east coast. Well this is the situation that lays before me so with the weather sunny and 75 I’ll make the best of it. I booked myself a couple of rounds at some private clubs in Tallahassee, Capital City and Golden Eagle, both of which are nice courses, but I want to tell you about Southwood Golf Club. Situated just fifteen minutes south west of the Capital I found a welcoming well maintained and manicured golf club. The staff was friendly and helpful. I booked my tee time over the phone and I arrived early to have lunch and warm up, if they had a driving range, and boy did they. Sitting just outside the restaurant and pro-shop on top of a small hill were perfectly manicured grass tee boxes each with their own inviting shining white pyramid of neatly stacked golf balls. Well! Don’t mind if I do, I thought. I went through my normal warm up routine and chatted it up with the friendliest people who gave me great insight on the way ahead. After finishing up with some wedges I returned to my cart, but not before topping of my Yeti with iced cold water from the supplied cooler at the back of the practice range. I also utilized the club washing station to bring my P790's back to their satiny chrome finish. After cleaning my clubs and topping off my water I headed down to the first tee and met my playing partner who was equally as nice as those I met on the practice tee. I pulled my driver and let it rip, striking a beautiful fade down the left side of the carpet like fairway and thought to myself, this is going to be a great day. Southwood Golf Club Designed by PGA Tour legend Fred Couples and Gene Bates, plays long from the tips 7100 yards, but they have tee boxes for all playing abilities I chose the red tees which played out just under 6100 yards. From tee to green Southwood plays more like a private club than a public course. The tee boxes are well managed, the fairways lie like carpet, and the greens are quick and true, just the way they should be. While I was there they were hosting the State High School Championship. They also host the University of Florida NCAA golf team even though the college owns its own golf course. Funny how that works, but that just goes to show you how good this club truly is. If your ever in Tallahassee and have 4 hours to spare stop by the Southwood Golf Club, and if you do not have your own clubs with you, no need to worry the pro-shop has Titlist AP1’s. Two thumbs up, five starts and a couple of birdies. Thank you for the hospitality Southwood! I'll be back~
GSwag
Commented On 07/25/2018
Florida State University plays it's matches here, not the University of Florida. Those are fighting words in these parts. And FSU plays their matches here, because they are getting ready to blow up Seminole golf course and redesign it. We'll see what happens once the redesign is complete in a couple of years.

Nice view

The neighborhood was beautiful had a good time playing this course
Staff Friendliness Good

Good track

Second fine playing and was impressed on how well the greens were maintained. If it town, do check this course out for elevation changes and fast greens.
Staff Friendliness Good