River Place Country Club

Type Private
River Place Country Club
Bronze 71 6128 yards 69.5 127
Scorecard for River Place Country Club
Black M: 72.3/136 372 139 364 558 378 169 416 394 371 3161 436 392 133 497 363 287 209 576 327 3220 6381
Member M: 71.0/135 351 139 364 533 353 169 338 360 332 2939 389 363 133 468 343 257 178 555 327 3013 5952
Bronze M: 70.2/134 351 132 354 533 353 130 338 360 332 2883 389 363 106 468 343 257 178 555 317 2976 5859
Green M: 68.1/125 W: 71.1/136 341 126 325 476 314 109 303 327 310 2631 358 332 89 447 311 227 135 526 281 2706 5337
Red M: 64.5/117 W: 66.2/113 318 66 286 443 206 87 240 239 298 2183 238 294 66 349 219 217 109 421 251 2164 4347

Year Built 1986
Architect Tom Kite (1994) Roy Bechtol (1994)

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in Texas (2017 #15)

A+ from the top down

Great hospitality from everyone around the club. We were there for a guy's trip and didn't feel too out of place. Service was great, guys in the pro shop were terrific.

Course was in excellent shape, first experience with TIF Eagle greens and we loved it. Very technical course, really need to have a straight shot and know your distances.

Not your standard run of the mill golf course. Much better at challenging your skills.

One with amazing elevation changes. Challenging fairways where slopes are deadly. Strict use of risk reward thought process will save you in the long run...especially on the front nine.

CHALLENGING BUT BEAUTIFUL

AH, THE HILL COUNTRY AT ITS BEST AND AT ITS MOST DIFFICULT. LOT'S OF ELEVATION CHANGES.

TAKE IN THE BEAUTY OF THE AREA.

beautiful golf course

Crazy beautiful course. It's not as hard as described in my opinion. I shot 2-3 shots more than watch normally do but they where more my mistakes than the course itself. Tip. Don't use your driver outside of the par 5s and you'll do great.

Good but Very Challenging

Beautiful course but extremely challenging. A lot of target golf meaning you really had to pick your spots due to all of the water trouble and tight fairways. If you're struggling with a slice or hook, don't bother playing here or you will not have an enjoyable round and will leave frustrated with your game. I would suggest only to experienced golfers. The greens were sanded recently before my round and were extremely slow.

Awesome Course- Bring Plenty of Balls

My wife and I played the course during our trip to Austin. We are both seniors with 22 handicaps. We loved the course in spite of the fact that it is a very tough course. Unless you are a 10 or under handicap, I'd bring an extra sleeve or two of balls. We had two 7 handicaps in our group. We saw them make some great shots, but even they hit more than a few out of bounds. I kept waiting for an easy hole, but one never came. Loved it! There was challenge everywhere. The course is very scenic with lots of elevation changes. There is water along with plenty of hills. It is an classic country club, and I highly recommend it to anyone. The staff was extremely friendly. The course was in great condition. The greens were in excellent shape with plenty of undulations to keep you focused. The carts did not have GPS, so bring your own. It really helps. Hats off to the team at River Place.

Beautiful Views

Always a play for us when we are in Austin......and close to the best restaurant in Austin, The Oasis on Lake Travis. This is your only chance to play this beautiful private course for an unbelievable price. It is tough so bring some extra balls!

great hill country golf

this is a private course. it was in very good shape in the Texas hot summer.

Austin Advisor

Very Scenic & Very Challenging

I last reviewed this course eight (8) years ago so I figured it was time for another quick write-up. My feelings toward this course haven't changed much.

True or not, I think the two (2) most common attributes about this course in these reviews are "Scenic" and "Challenging." Yes, the views are often very nice; very peaceful. And there are times you forget there are even houses anywhere nearby. It's truly Hill Country golf unlike anything you'll find elsewhere.

It is, however, a hard course when compared to so many other tracks in the area. This is one of those courses that'll beat you up one way or another; it's not really a matter of if but more of how often. There's very little to no forgiveness once you get away from the fairway. Good luck hitting from the scrub, trees, etc. It's just not a scrambler's course. That's okay, we're supposed to be in the fairway to begin with, right!? If only theory could become reality.

You might want to leave that driver in your bag on far more holes than normal. Unless you're really accurate, this course will open you up to far more unfavorable circumstances than you'd like. Stick with whatever club is accurate. Instead of driver-wedge, maybe go with 5-8.

Thinking about going for it 180 yards out with a green surrounded by woods and a forced carry right in front of it!? Is it worth the extra stroke and the lost ball? Or maybe you should just lay up and pitch it over. The latter is probably the better move all around statistically speaking. This really isn't the best time to go for it and hope for the best. Play positive. Play smart.

One up side is that I probably found just as many balls as I lost. Apparently some of the rest of you like to hit it where I do. Thanks for that!

T-storms in AM, course still played beautiful

Steady and somewhat heavy rain for three of the four days leading up to the round including thunderstorms that morning, but the pro shop assured me the course drains extremely well and boy were they right. Rarely saw any standing water on the whole 18 and it did not have too much effect on shots. Greens were a bit softer of course but still rolled fast and tricky as ever.

I always enjoy playing here even though I get to maybe once a year due to it being private and typically shoot 5-10 strokes higher than usual. Really challenges you to know your game and judge distances accordingly. Driver should not be used except for a few holes and the par 5s, and the elevated greens/tee boxes are a blast to judge.

Recommend to anyone wanting a well-crafted track or refresh on their short-to-mid iron game. Just wish they opened it up to the public more often!

Very Challenging Course with Awesome Views

I have played just about every course in Austin including Austin Country Club, Barton Creek Courses, Spanish Oaks etc etc. This course is an extreme test of your physical and mental golf abilities. If you have never played it you can expect to add 5-10 strokes on a good day. Gotta leave the driver in the bag on many holes. I'd say nearly every green has a inclined approach forcing you to fly the ball much farther than expected to carry. Greens are very difficult to read as well with slopes at times moving away from water. Course is absolutely beautiful and a great value at times on GolfNow. The views are nearly on Par with many private clubs that you can't play without knowing a member. My only complaint is make sure you have had lunch during the week. I was surprised that they only had chips and chocolate bars to eat at a country club of this caliber. All and all this course is highly recommended but expect to be frustrated unless you got a heck of an "A-Game"

Great Layout

Very fun but challenging course. Not long but really have to make good shots and have strong course management. Beautiful views and very well maintained. Front nine went fast then got stuck behind a five-some on the back that didn't bother to let us play through. But being a nonmember at a private course can't complain too much!

Good Challenge

Take time to review course notes. Some holes tricky.Greens were excellent

Amazing views

This course rocks!!! This is a must play course. This course is not about how far u drive the ball. It's about mid distance and right placement.

If ur able to get a good deal on this course. U r crazy not to take it and play it.

Although the course wasn't in the best shape, it was still an enjoyable round.

Okay course, nothing special. Expected more

Condition is acceptable - it's not bad for a 30 dollar course, but at double or more that price it is not up to par. It's not in bad shape, but its also not pristine. The course has a nice setting, but the design is pretty boring considering where the property is (scenic and hilly). You'd be hard pressed to carve a more sedentary course out of the property. I would agree with other reviewers, you'll need course knowledge to play this course well - but it is not a long or difficult course. I didn't have more than an 8 iron in to any hole (played from the back tees). And had less than 250 in on every par 5. And that's with most holes having wind that was not helping. Most of my approach shots where wedges, and I only drive the ball 260-70. It's a shame they don't have another set of tees further back, or more protection around the green. It's not a bad course, but I understand it is private, and at 59 dollars twilight I expect much better greens, and a more challenging, interesting design. Yes the views are spectacular, and the setting is excellent, but that doesn't mean the course is well designed - it simply isn't. I've played across Europe, Florida, and Texas - I probably won't be back to River Place, despite living exceptionally close. I will say the staff was helpful, and the clubhouse is nice. Although I did not enter a bunker, my playing partner did and the sand in the was exceptionally consistent and there was plenty of it. However, the bunkers are quite shallow and mostly benign. Few, if any, offer challenge. I view this course as good for the retired, or for those who haven't played any/many well manicured or decent courses.

Scenic, Challenging and Great Experience

This course was breathtaking. Definitely broke all stereotypes I had of Texas Golf. when the reviews, staff and members all recommend to bring extra golf balls take heed. This course was challenging . Not long but there is trouble everywhere and on nearly every hole. Do not let this scare novice or intermediate players as you would not want to miss the opportunity to play a unique course. I left the driver in the bag most holes. I loved the mental challenge and for first timers they give you a cheat sheet with recommendations of yardage, and placement that helps a bunch as a first timer. I love it so much I wanted to play the next day but could not find a tee time.

Valid dates: Nov 08, 2018 - Dec 20, 2018