2.6

Year Built 1988
Architect Rick Forester (1988) Derrell Witt

Top 5 Public Course in Houston area

I have always liked this course. Great layout, wide fairways, no houses, great condition, true greens, playable bunkers. Had a great time today. Played in 3.5 hours teeing off early. One of the Top 5 in the area along with Woodforest, Memorial Park, Wilderness and GCOH Tournament course. It's not a screaming bargain like Gus Wortham, but it's not pricey either.

Georgia Advisor

Fun Course - Very Good Conditions - Great Value

This was my first time playing The Tradition Course at Sypresswood. I really like the course. The conditions were great, the layout was fun. It was HOT as blazes (heat index of 104) but that is to be expected for the middle of July.

Conditions were excellent. The fairways were very nice, bunkers were good with many rakes to help maintain the bunkers. The greens were very good except the greenskeeper who mowed the greens did not mow the edges of the greens so if you were near the edge of the green you were in grass a couple days old with cutting and had to put through that grass until you reached the mowed area of the green (everywhere except the edges).. The greens rolled well and true with a few tricky undulations. The rough was thick and was challenging as your ball would sink down in the long rough (you should be penalized and have a challenge if you are off line and not in the fairway),
The layout was fun and very nice with lots of variety. There were some very easy holes and some very challenging holes. Great variety.
I really appreciated the water every 3 holes and the Mango ice towels every 7 or 8 holes were AWESOME. I LOVED the Mango Ice towels. It was a VERY hot day so the water and iced towels were much appreciated. The price was great for such a quality, fun course.
I would play this course again if I ever come back to Houston. I would recommend this course as well to those in the area.

Decent round, would play again

The tradition was a nice course with a few headaches but all in all was a great round. The staff was friendly, and everyone was nice. I set up a single tee time for 7:35 and when I got there they told me the 3-some they paired me with became a 4-some and I got bumped to 7:58. That was very frustrating since I had a meeting in Dallas later that afternoon, but it wasn’t horrible, and I understand. They gave me some range balls but overall starting my day like that was frustrating.

Then to add to my frustration nobody that worked there told me that the tradition course was .25 miles from the clubhouse down an access road and that there was a parking lot down there.

So, I walked down and then had to walk back after the round, which just added to the distance and frustration which I took out on the #1 tee box, hahah.

As luck would happen, it worked out. I was paired with 2 easy going gentlemen who knew the course and happened to be retired Navy like I was. We got along great and the pace was fantastic. Walked the course in under 4, only pushing the group in front of us on 2 holes and never saw anyone behind us.

Conditions were mostly decent. Fairways were nice, bunkers were decent, but the greens were interesting. They rolled well and true, but there were some patches on the edge that never came into play for us. They cut the rough thick and it was challenging in some parts. The layout was nice, and some very challenging holes had I not had some previously experienced partners with me.
I like to walk when I play so I appreciated the water every 3 holes and the Mango ice towels every 7 or 8 holes. It was a hot day by the end of the round, but it was worth it. The price was fine, and they gave military discount to me which was very nice.

I would play this course again if I ever come back down to Houston. I would recommend this course as well to those in the area.

IT'S BACK!

i am really pleased to say that the greens on the Tradition Course are nearly back to their old glory. They were punched recently, so they have a little more recovering to do, but the dead and grassless areas are virtually gone. A few greens still have some bare spots around the edges, but they didn't really come into play for us except on # 16. We allowed the player to move the ball as ground under repair. I can't wait to play when the greens have fully recovered from the punching. I've missed playing Tradition since last December when I wrote a review which revealed horrid conditions on the greens. Also, the iced towels on the practice range, #4 tee, #10 tee and #14 tee were greatly appreciated in today's heat. Fairways and bunkers were in great condition as well. I'm excited to be going back!

Tradition: Great Course

Played the Tradition course Blue Tees: staff was friendly and very customer focused. Amenities I gave a 3 because they have not rebiuldt the club house.

After reading some of the reviews (within the last 6 months) I almost didn't play the course. All I can say is, I have no idea what the bad reviews are for. Or what these people are expecting. I've played tour level courses throughout the states including Hawaii. Played some great courses in Europe including the Cork Golf Club in Ireland and the Dubai Yacht Club and Emirates courses. So I know what a quality Golf course looks like. This has it all. The course is fabulous. I love how it is secluded and surrounded by trees.

For the last year, I've played Augusta Pines and Gleanloch Pines because they are very close to where I live. They don’t hold a candle to the Tradition course. Both are a joke, traps are like pavement and look like beach erosion, when they're not filled with water. Greens have patches of weeds growing on them. Never again will I play those two. And don’t see how people pay $ 350-400 for memberships. I've found a new home course.

Cypresswoods Tradition
Tee boxes A+ THEY'RE LEVEL!!!! Fairways are A+. I give the greens an A. Hole 6 & 12 had patches where they are trying to save a section of the greens, mainly on 12. The other greens were perfect. The traps have soft sand, It is so nice to hit from a soft fairway with low bounce and have greens that are so responsive to approach shots even with long irons like the par 3s. I love how this course requires course management especially off the tee. Strategically placed fairway bunkers and a few fairway trees require you to carry the bunkers or place your shot to the side. On the 575-600 yard par 5s, I was hitting a 7 iron for my 2nd shot to position myself for approach shots to get a GIR. To risking to try and reach in 2 with crossing creeks.

Anyways. I wanted to give a detailed review of this course to let people know it is worth the money. I will continue to make the drive to play this course any day of the week.

Not what it was

This course came highly rated, but with weaker recent reviews, so I was curious about this (now disgraced) Keith Foster course. I'm told that Hurricane Harvey kicked this course hard. The routing is not overly creative but each required a strong drive and approach to the green. I'm not sure if the hurricane damaged the drainage, but the course was very, very wet. I was told that it had been that way for 3 months. For that reason, conditions were poor. Drive and plug golf. Non-pristine greens. Soggy bunkers. Apparently, the word is out because it wasn't busy. It was sad. The bones of this course are good, but the skin on them is decaying.

Until they fix the greens on Traditions, I can't recommend this course

I have played this course numerous times, but the condition of the greens on the Traditions course have been bad the few months. Dying them green does not make them greens. Except for a couple of holes, the greens are bereft of grass. A couple were appalling. You might want to call ahead to get an update (assuming they will be honest with you), but given their current condition I would think it might not be until March or April before they are acceptable. I know they have struggled with flooding, but, they can't charge $80 for the current conditions. I guess they can as long as people keep playing with the current conditions, but we won't be among the players. I hope they can correct the conditions because I really like the course, and it is otherwise in good condition.

Lost its Luster

This has always been my favorite course to play when visiting family in the north Houston area. It has lost its luster & appeal. Course conditioning was not very good (sparse fairways & bare patches on greens). We played behind a foresome that was so slow we had to wait on every shot. We called the pro shop and they said nothing could be done because they had no course marshal working...this was on a Sunday! This course was not worth the cost and I have no intention of playing it during future visits to Houston.

My Local Favorite

I've played this course many times and I enjoy it the same every time. It is completely secluded (no housing) and a pretty decent layout. It definitely rewards strategic play. I would recommend this course to anyone that has $75 to spend.

Nice condition in general

A couple of days after heavy rain, the course was typical winter condition. Fairway gave no roll for the driver but as in the winter, we could pickup/clean/replace the ball. Bunkers were wet, so could test my wet bunker technique. Green was relatively slow, but typical fine winter condition. Course is very close to the airport, do I will return if I have chance in next trip.

Great Course, some slow play

Our tee time was at 10:45...we got to the box and it was already stacked. We didn't get a good breakaway from the group in front of us until around the 5th hole. Course conditions were good, greens were fast, and it forces you to take a lay up or "go for it" on a couple of holes.

Looking good!

The course was in great condition! The greens had recently been aerated and sanded, but were still rolling good. I paid $45 on a Sunday afternoon, and basically had the course to myself. Great choice for play!

Outstanding

Tradition has always been well kept! Great place to play and I've never had a bad experience...other than my desired score.

Spring, Texas