The California Golf Course sits on land that slopes gently and offers a nice view of the Ohio River; however, this course ain't just pretty to look at, but laid out to play in a manner that will test seasoned golfers and welcome novices to the friendly golf course where the trees are old growth.

California Golf Course provides 18 holes of par-71 golf over 6,227 yards. A round of golf kicks off on a par-4 hole that plays to 367 yards from the Blue tees. Because this is one of Cincinnati's longer municipal golf courses, power golfers will appreciate the chance to open up their games a bit more, with about a third of the holes measuring over 400 yards from the Blue tees, including a pair of par-5 holes, the second and ninth holes.

As the California Golf Course is a municipal golf course, expect low rates, and those who can swing a round of golf during the workweek can expect them to be even lower.

California Golf Course

Year Built 1935
Architect William Diddle (1935)

Double booked Golf Now

I booked a round using golf now, I showed up to the course early and was told I was not allowed to play as the tee time was doubled booked by Golf now. The man I spoke with was fairly rude and said the issue was not his problem and did not attempt to try and work me in. I was a single teeing off at 6:48AM and was the only player at the course.

Groundskeepee needs a course on etiquette

I was excited to play this course for the first time..... Arrived and was greeted by very friendly staff and the starter was very accommodating.... That's where the fun ended . I waited on the first tee box for nearly five minutes for the grounds crew to get out of the way .I understand they have a job to do. I then got to hole #2 and had to stop my swing ( literally in my backswing some lady on a mower cut in front of me less than 10 feet away) now I'm rattled and slightly upset...It gets worse another mower is dead center of the fairway driving as if no one is around .....Ughhhhhh.......Hole # here she comes again ! I've golfed for 25+ years and played well over 1000 rounds and I don't even have an experience that would come close.....Hole #4 I'm literally contemplating going to the clubhouse and calling it a day...... Thankfully by hole #5 I was ahead of the grounds crew and could finally start enjoying my round ...... Overall the course was very nice and had some spectacular views it's just a shame that I cannot get rid of the butter taste of the grounds crew having complete disregard for the PEOPLE WHO ARE PAYING TO BE THERE ..... Honestly I can't say I'll ever be back ..... Someone needs to give her ( I only saw one woman) a lesson in etiquette and explain that her job is contingent on people PAYING to play there .......Rant over

Nice place

Greens, tee boxes, fairways and employees all great. Only complaint is someone needs to cut the rough. If you're not in the fairway or second cut, it's 5 inches tall. Fire up them mower's more often boys! The course is pretty long and challenging but a fun layout.

Holiday Surprise

Played 18 in 4 hours over Memorial Day weekend, despite playing last 3 holes in 45 minutes

Rangers on the course could improve play

Old School Course

Fun course. My wife and I played this course after a few days if rain, yet the course was in firm, great shape. Short holes, but lots of variations to the topography. Good risk reward holes. Pace was slow. 2.5 hours on the front. Waiting on every tee. Only 1.5 hrs on the back.

Good for $

Good course. Nice layout. Staff was great. It's a public, city course so conditions won't be great but fairways and greens were in good shape and very nice. Tees and rough were not as in good shape but not unexpected. At $27 it was a very good value and was a good day! At full price of $40-$45 (w/ cart) it feels a little overpriced compared to other places nearby you could play and their facilities/conditions. A driving range (or net to warm up into) would be a good addition.

First time playing this well kept CRC course. I was paired with a group that tee'd off around 8AM and was able to get in 18 in just under 5 hours. (We only had to wait on one or two holes).

Course was in great shapes. Greens were just starting to grow back which made them a little tougher to roll true but not the biggest problem in the world. Great round well worth it.

This is a municipal course?!?

This is by far one of the nicest public courses I've ever played, let alone one managed by the city/county. Price was a little above average but being the 4th I wasn't surprised. Pace was slow, very slow at times, but again, for a holiday that's to be somewhat expected. The conditions and layout are superb! The front is tight and challenging, but the back opens up a bit and scoring opportunities are more available. I'm from Georgia and this course rivals many private clubs I've played in the south. The staff were all very knowledgeable and super friendly. The city should be proud.

Slow Play

Golfers going off 1 and 10. We made the turn and had a 15 minute wait due to backup. Back nine took 2 1/2 hours with no rangers in sight. Half of water dispensers were empty or warm. As with all Cincinnati Rec courses, concessions are overpriced.

Slowest rounds of golf I have ever played

I have played this course twice this summer. The first time I went out and played as a two-some in the middle of the afternoon. That round took 5.5 to 6 hours. I recently played in a small outing and was there for over 7 hours playing golf! The course was so over booked, my outing was 30 to 40 minutes late starting. The front 9 took us 4.5 hours. The course loves to over book itself. The course is in pretty good shape however the clubhouse needs updating bad. I do not find this course to be worth what they charge for weekend golf of $45. There are MANY better courses around the area for the same price where a 4 hour round of golf won't turn into 6 hours.

Average Course

This course was fairly nice and challenging but not worth the $30 a person paid to play the course. Definitely overpriced since it is a CRC course

Dont play this course in the winter.

Booked a tee time through a website for a discounted price. only problem is in the winter, after 1pm, they dont let you play 18. they close it down at 5. too bad sundown is 7 in the middle/late february. they dont contact companies like golf 18 network to let them know that there is no 18 hole play after 1. the staff was terrible. A nice golf day in February, course full of people and all they are selling is expired candy and chips at the turn. Man in charge says since their tee sheet was under 40 people when they opened, they werent going to turn on the grill. I get that its winter but their poor customer service now has lead me to never want to play there when its nice. Have to know how to treat customers and clearly they are not capable of that.

Course was in great shape over all. But the greens were slow

Pace of play was slow . Two older women and older man in front us .took so many swings we waited .10 to 15 minutes on every hole on the front 9. They could of let us go through.

Plays Once a year

California Golf Course

Nice course layout with lots of slope and big greens. Accurate tee and approach shots are key as there are plenty of trees throughout course. Stafff is friendly and cousre is maintained well.

Valid dates: Nov 01, 2019 - Feb 29, 2020
Back at Kiawah Island Golf Resort for a limited time, the Golf or Gourmet Escape is a perfect opportunity to pursue your passion for the game and experience this premier resort's pristine championship courses.