La Cantera Resort - The Resort Course

GPS: Yes

Golf school / academy: Yes - "The Academy at La Cantera"

Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Welcomed

Silver 72 6026 yards 66.1 113
Copper 72 5581 yards 68.2 119
Jade (W) 72 4940 yards 67.1 108

La Cantera Resort is home to two 18-hole, championship courses that wind through Texas Hill Country. The Resort Course opened in 1995, when it also hosted one of the oldest PGA Tour events, the Texas Open. It is no wonder the spot was chosen, with its numerous natural water features, mature oaks, and limestone rock outcroppings it provides the perfect terrain for a challenging round. There are also 75 white sand bunkers strategically placed throughout the golf course. In combination with the spectacular views provided by the course’s elevation changes, the course has quickly gained favor as one of the best public-access golf courses in the country.

Location is at a resort near local attractions convenient to the city   Great for a weekend splurge wildlife/ scenic views advanced golfers   Challenges include elevation changes bunkers undulating greens   Great for drinks 19th hole scenic views brunch

"La Cantara"

jbgolfshack's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/23/2018
First time playing Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

Course layout was great. They had recently renovated the greens so they were very firm. Of course they will get better with time as they need to grow in. Fairways firm which allowed for some good roll out.

Only downside was bar/restaurant was being renovated so could not use it. Overall a great experience. I would play here again.

"Great Course"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/12/2018

Great course loved everything about it me and my buddies are going to start coming to San Antonio once a month to play there

Response from La Cantera Resort Management on 04/23/2018:

Thank you for the 5-star review! We look forward to seeing you again next month!

"Variety Views"

joshsmith12's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/29/2018
First time playing Used cart Windy weather

LaCantera Resort course is never short on views. The clubhouse overlooks downtown San Antonio and the connected driving range facility. The course isn't short on amenities itself either. The driving range is excellent and the practice putting green and chipping area are more than adequate to be warmed up before your round. LaCantera in its entirety does the best job of any place I've played golf at maintaining appropriate tee time promptness. The starter is quick to get you before your round begins. Escorts you to the course and gives all information before teeing off. The pace of play has never been a problem on either course as most of the rounds flow without ever seeing another golfer in front of you.

As for the course, I'd highly suggest not trying to walk it. The elevation changes here are as severe as any mountain course I've played. 100 foot drops from cliffs and climbs straight uphill are not uncommon. Many greens are elevated or sit in a valley well below the teeing grounds. The new greens rolled very smoothly and were quick despite the rain we had the previous day. Although, they were very hard and did not hold many shots (this is normal of many newly renovated greens). Be prepared for many sidehill or downhill lies along with spectacular views. The elevation changes make the course play much more difficult, but driver could be left in the bag for parts of the course as the longer holes play extremely downhill normally. A challenging, variety of holes with great views. I've played many courses that I enjoy the "golf" game itself much more, but if you enjoy a variety of great views including Six Flags Fiesta Texas and scenic Texas hill country I would recommend this course for you.

"Fun, strategic, memorable and scenic"

LICC's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/18/2018

This course is terrific. Lots of memorable holes for strategy and scenery. Playing over and through some of the rock wall formations was fun. The bunkers were in excellent shape. The course provides a good challenge without being penal. Not walkable due to distances between greens and tees and elevations. There are several blind shots sometimes depending on your positioning. Interesting greens. You do get some noise on a couple of holes from the roller coaster next door, but it sort of adds to the charm. This is one of my favorite courses in the San Antonio area.

ron9930685's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/15/2018

"Beautiful layout. Scenic views"

Jonevans99's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/04/2018

Great course. Very challenging yet fair. Scenery is awesome. Definitely a must play in SA

bullseye1955's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/03/2018

"Hold your putter over the ball and hit it with your shadow"

golfsully's avatar
Nevada Advisor

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/28/2017
Previously played Used cart Cold weather

Overcast and barely 50°F. Maybe not a picturesque day for golf, but if I’m not working I’ve got to play. I went old school and broke off a phone call to set up a tee time. Upon arrival I was greeted at the bag drop and loaded up on a very clean EZ-Go cart with GPS, a windshield, a cooler w/ ice, and USB charging port. Check-in was easy and it appears the pro shop is going through a remodel to improve its library feel, but still has a decent selection of logo merchandise.

The grass practice tee is very convenient to the clubhouse and includes a nice short game area. In my cart was a very small bag of 16 newer range balls. I was offered more, but I was ready to get things going. The putting green speed matched that of the course, FAST. The starter tracked me down and ran through his very informative pitch and then escorted me to the first tee right on time.

I chose a mix of black & gold tees to play from totaling 6650y. Conditions were top notch the setup was on point. The tee boxes and fairways were in solid shape and beyond those, the dormant Bermuda rough is still somewhat thick and can create some sticky lies especially greenside. The bunkers had plenty of sand and were maintained. The greens are very new, very fast and very firm, but not like bouncy rather a thud and a lot of roll out. The flags are all the same, so the GPS must be utilized to obtain pin location information. Most have visible undulation and tiers to add to the challenge. The layout plays pretty straightforward, no blind tee shots, but some shorter par 4's require some thought. It also offers many elevations changes with some offering pretty spectacular views.

The course wasn’t busy, but I wasn’t alone either and the pace was fine finishing at 3h38m. I would find the addition of pin sheet and wet towels in the carts very useful and an easy play for a facility of this caliber. The beverage cart made three rounds and everyone on the staff I encountered were extremely friendly and cordial.

The overall experience was excellent and what I have come to expect for a resort and equivalent for the rate I paid this day.

"Great San Antonio Golf Option"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/24/2017

The condition of the tightly managed Resort Course at La Contera is as good as it gets. I’m 62, not a particularly long hitter, and as a result had to work hard to keep pace with my scoring. With a 22 HC that’s easier said than done, so I found myself falling behind after taking 3 strokes to make the green on many of the par 4s. I was however able to keep pace on all of the par 5s. In general, I’d say the fairways had generous enough layouts that even with the with strategically placed hazards were still fare enough for me to manage my way through. The course can be pricey, so getting a Hot Deal at better than 50% off peak hours made the experience of playing a PGA caliber golf course all that much mire enjoyable!

SDCRUZN's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/28/2017

Apparently they were going through some construction. The check in was in a trailer. The cart guys were lost when I asked the who what's and where's. Blank. I was in a hurry as my tee time was "now". I just walked hurriedly carrying my golf bag and got a cart. I got to the starter myself without any further delay. Played with some beginners who were nice and allowed me to play in a threesome with them. Enjoyed the round. Green fee prices in San Antonio are much higher than San Diego and San Diego's golf courses are much much better. I payed $55 through Golfnow, but I wouldn't pay their standard price, I believe it's $115. No way! Water prices? Restaurants are extremely much higher also.

Elton2336329's avatar
Plays:  Once every three months

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/29/2017

Response from La Cantera Management on 05/04/2017:

Hi Elton2336329,

Thank you for the 5 star review and recommendation!

"Great value through golfnow."

tv4057's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/21/2017

Course was in tremendous condition staff was informative n kept pace of play on other groups

Response from La Cantera Management on 05/04/2017:

Hi tv4057,

Thank you for the 5 star review! We're happy to hear you played with excellent course conditions and an informative staff to help during your round with us. See you soon!

JunseoKim's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/18/2017

Response from La Cantera Management on 03/22/2017:

Hi JunseoKim,

Thank you for the review and recommendation. Our staff works hard to keep everything organized. See you soon!

"Great value on Golf Now!"

Clint7661743's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/17/2017

Played at an easy pace and was in good shape.

I was a single but was suppose to play with another twosome. The Starter forgot to include me when he called my group so I played as a single. Made a few groups unhappy to let me play through and would have rather played with the group.

Other than that, it was a nice round on a challenging course

Response from La Cantera Management on 03/22/2017:

Hi Clint7661743,

It's great to see our golfers finding a good value and a challenging round on our course. Thank you for the 4 star review!

"La Cantera Resort Course"

Mark1Evans's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/18/2017

Course was in great shape, except a few of the green side bunkers could use some sand

Response from La Cantera Management on 03/01/2017:

Hi Mark1Evans,

Thank you for the 5 star review!

La Cantera Management

"Great Day to Play a Round"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/17/2017

The weather was perfect, my friend and I had a great time and the pace of play was awesome.

Response from La Cantera Management on 02/22/2017:

Hi u000006670331,

Thank you for the 5 star review! We're glad you and your friend had a great round with us. See you soon!

La Cantera

"Almost Perfect"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/07/2017

My only issue is that we waited ALL DAY LONG. We played behind an 80 year old man playing by himself while there was a group of 5 women playing ahead of him. It took over 5 hours to complete the round. We were a 2 some that was paired up with another 2 some. Not sure why the group of 5 and group of 1 was allowed.

Response from La Cantera Management on 02/15/2017:

Hi u649528506,

Thank you for providing a 5 star review! We're sorry to hear about your pace of play on this particular day. This is not up to our standard at the course and will be assessed moving forward. See you soon!

La Cantera Management

"The course has great scenery"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/28/2017

The course was in superb condition. The greens were rolling true and quick. Overall great experience playing a challenging but fair golf course.

"Want to Play Again!"

Troy2846054's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/08/2017

Would like to play again soon. Greens we're really challenging and would like a mother chance to make a few more putts.

"Carts"

rocktwofour's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/03/2017

Carts driving by, during putts and swings on most of the holes. Mostly maint, bev cart is okay.