Golf Links at Pebble Beach Golf Links

Nerves tend to run tight at the start of a round at Pebble Beach, what with the teeing area raised like a stage above the omnipresent gallery of Lodge guests, breakfast diners and tee-time-awaiters. From the first hole, the golfer quickly realizes that this is no typical West Coast resort course, tucked tightly between condos and designed within economics of scale. This course is larger than life, boasting mature stands of trees, roller coaster greens and bunkers in which you could easily hide one of the bigger sport utility vehicles. But it looks as if the course has taken a hundred years to develop this way and indeed it nearly has. The first 9-hole track was laid out along the cove in 1913.
Scorecard for Pebble Beach Golf Links
U.S Open M: 75.5/145 380 502 404 331 195 523 109 428 505 3377 495 390 202 445 580 397 403 208 543 3663 7040
Blue M: 74.7/143 377 511 390 326 192 506 106 427 481 3316 446 373 201 403 572 396 401 177 543 3512 6828
Gold M: 72.6/136 346 460 374 307 142 487 98 400 460 3074 429 349 187 391 560 377 376 170 532 3371 6445
White M: 71.3/132 332 428 334 295 130 467 94 373 435 2888 409 340 179 372 548 340 368 163 509 3228 6116
Red W: 71.8/129 309 360 282 253 112 387 90 361 333 2487 341 303 165 289 436 313 309 148 458 2762 5249

Year Built 1919
Fairways Rye Grass
Greens Rye Grass
Architect Jack Neville (1919) Douglas Grant (1919)

Caddies Yes
Golf School Academy Yes - "Pebble Beach Golf Academy"

Dress code Shirts and shoes are required at all times.

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in California (2017 #2)
  • Golf Advisor: Ginella's Top 50 U.S. Courses You Can Play (2016 #1) (2015 #1)
  • Golf Advisor: Top 25 Friendliest Courses in the U.S. (2017 #9)
  • Golf Advisor: Top 25 Courses for Layout in the U.S. (2017 #1)
  • Golf Advisor: Best of Golf Advisor (2017 #5)
  • Golf Advisor: Top 25 Off-course amenities in the U.S. (2017 #3)

Amazing Food 7
A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 10

The Best!

I love golf courses with Ocean views. Whether it is the Palm Beach Par three, or Bandon Dunes Golf Resort, I always make a point to play ocean courses. I thought that Pacific Dunes would always be my favorite, but that was before I played Pebble. It was perfect weather, and there is nothing that can prepare you for the view of 17, and your first glimpses of the cliff on the 6th hole, as you make the turn walking down the third hole. It is remarkable! Lastly, do not let yourself get bullied into playing a specific tee box by the starter, after all, you just dropped a lot of money for the round. If you are a longer hitter, play from the tips. Even if you are the only one in your group playing from the back (like I was), you will not hold up play, as the round already takes 5+ hours. Personally, it made my day so much better to play from the correct tee box.

Best Golf Day Ever

I mean, it's Pebble. Worth the tag, worth the trip, check one off the Bucket List.

It was in incredible shape. We had an absolutely wonderful caddie (Bill - Scottish guy from St Andrews!). It was very windy but hey, that's part of what you sign up for there. It was a perfect experience in every way.

Just as good as I had imagined

Pebble Beach really is as good as it's made out to be. The views are outstanding. The course architecture is totally original, yet classic. If you have the opportunity to play it, just do it. Enjoy the best 6,900 yard walk you'll ever take.

San Francisco Advisor

It's about the journey not the destination

This is my second time playing Pebble. I played in January and somehow managed to shoot a very respectable score (for me) managing 7 pars but no birdies. Going into this round I pre-focused on wanting to better my score which was a big mistake. This is a course you need to just relax and enjoy the journey, If the score comes then so be it.

The course plays a lot harder than the yardage suggests. Greens are small and fast. Make that very fast on downhill putts. I had a 15 footer that I hit like a one foot tap in and the ball ran 12-15' past the hole!!

If you're coming into the peninsula for a golf trip head out to nearby Bayonet/Blackhorse for some putting practice. The greens there are just as fast and challanging and will help get you used to the greens at Pebble.

Course conditions were great as expected for a top notch course. I will say that the sand in the bunkers was average with a few of them being a little thin. I was in 8 bunkers during the round (it was one of those days) so I got to test a lot of them.

My caddie and I weren't on the same page all day which began to frustrate me. Whereas my first time here, my caddy Matt treated every putt like it was the one needed to win the AT&T PB Pro-Am and every shot was treated like I was trying to qualify for the Open. This time, my caddie was more interested in talking surfing to us or walked off down the fairway ahead of us before we teed off. Not quite the service I expect and have had in the past. The caddy at Spanish Bay was absolutely a delight and that was when I had my worst round of the year

Overall it was still an absolutely wonderful day at an absolutely spectacular golf course. I didn't have as many pars, but I did get my birdie!

I'll definitely go back again!

The mecca of American golf. Amazing experience!

Can I give it 6 stars? This is golf heaven for anyone who loves the game. Unlike the experience on other ocean/bay side courses, playing out into the peninsula and back is extraordinary. The greens are small and beautifully sloped. The bunkers are deep. The layout is superb. Some criticize the inland holes, but I think that is silly criticism. The inland holes on the back 9 still give amazing elevated views of the bay, and you are playing along some stunning mansions. Among the inland holes, 14 and 16 are terrific, and 3 is very good. The others are all sound, enjoyable holes. the 4-10 stretch along the water, especially 6-9, are mind blowing. The only negative is the pace of play. Lots of waiting to hit your shots. The caddies were great, and this is one of the most incredible golf experiences you can have.

Perfection

The most amazing course I’ve ever played. This was my 8th time playing there and it still provides the butterflies on the first tee, the excitement of being there for the first time.

For anyone who truly loves golf and has not been there I can only ask, why? Yes, it’s expensive but it is worth every penny.

As soon as you get to the 2nd fairway and look right and see the ocean you know you’re in heaven.

Holes 3-5 are so underrated. Hole 4 is short but one of the smallest greens you will see and the view is amazing. 5 is a great par 3.

A must is to.take a caddie. They will save you many stokes on the greens plus the experience of walking is tremendous.

When booking the trip, make sure you find out annual aeration schedule. They typically do so 4 times per year and you do not want to spend all that $ plan a trip and show up to putt on punched greens.

Don’t listen to the negative talk about 5 hr rounds. Who cares with those vistas!!!!

The drive through 17 mile drive and all the other things to do make it a bucket list trip.

Awesome bucket list day! One improvement requested.

When the rains stop and the sun comes out just before your tee time you know you are blessed. The TV cameras can not reflect the real topography of this course. Simply amazing. Had a couple of birdies that I will cherish! Hubert in the pro shop is super nice. The price is the price - a lot to play for golf and when you add caddy, tip and cart it's way up there, but we agreed the experience was worth the cost. Only improvement is too keep people off the cart path along the right of hole #18. While preparing for approach shot, had a woman come up to me and ask to borrow a club for a photo! Course grounds should be off limits for tourists even if "public" course.

Denver Advisor

Once in a lifetime

This is actually the second time that I have been here. There were 15 years and a lot of golf vacations in between. This is America's golf course. You know what you are getting-the scenery, a half dozen of the best holes in earth, treated like royalty, etc.

The course itself needs no explanation. The stretch from #5 to #10 is as great as advertised. I will say that it isn't six great holes and 12 bad ones. Strategically, they are all good to great. Small greens so aim at the middle.

Outside of the golf-it is pebble beach so they have everything. They are incredibly nice as well they should be. You have access to the range and putting greens. The putting greens are similar to the course so use them. Your green fee also gets you through 17 mile drive so do this on the same day you play.

I wrote once in a lifetime due to cost/value. If you can afford to play here all the time and get on to the private courses in the neighborhood then the Monterey Peninsula could be the experience of a lifetime. If not, then there is equally great golf for less elsewhere-Bandon, etc. Although you have to get very elite as far as the quality of the courses to do so.

I will encourage you to play here once as a gift to yourself-ignore the price tag and take in the whole experience. If you are a single, you can call 24 hours ahead and hope for an opening. No stay necessarily.

Sour grapes

I know, I know, I know...

Golf magazine top... Golf digest top ...

Ok, I played on a picture perfect day. And, played the course relatively well compared to what others have told me when they played. From the start, everybody there is very cordial and friendly. Even other players are friendly and giddy about playing this iconic course. The course condition was average (great tight fairways, but the greens were bumpy and slower than I anticipated). Edges were rough and I didn't care for the construction and temporary green on #14. The greens were truly smaller than I had expected even after seeing on TV and in person through ProAm and US Open. So, why only four stars? The price. Face it, the staff is friendly because they're picking your pocket left and right. $495 for green fee, $80 for caddy, $35 - $50 caddy tip, $4 bottle of water... Money just pours out as soon as you step on the property. I've played Pelican Hills (both South and North), Torrey Pines (both South and North), Trump National, Monarch Beach and other iconic courses in SoCal area so my expectation may have been higher. But, other courses didn't gauge you for every little thing. I enjoyed playing as this is an iconic course. But, I'll spend my green fees at other courses that are just as fun and just as scenic.

San Francisco Advisor

Awesome Experience!

First the technical aspects of playing Pebble Beach. The course is in fantastic shape tee to green as expected. Greens are small but very manageable. In my opinion they are much easier than Blackhorse & Bayonet down the road. Of course having a caddie give you spot on reads helps. Course is a must walk in my book. That gives you time to enjoy the plentiful views. Speaking of time... It's going to be a 5 hour round. Just accept that. You just paid five bills so why would you want to rush it. Having said that the caddies do a good job keeping players moving along.

The course layout combined with the ocean views is just absolutely surreal. You are right on the waters edge on 6-8 holes and have views of the ocean on another 5-6 holes.

We had no issues with staff. All were professional and polite

If I had one complaint it would be lack of bathrooms.

I'm already making plans to play it again in the summer!

make my day

Probably best in the US Public, though I haven't been to Bandon yet. the middle stretch of holes is just too good and 18 is a real treat. Felt like Clint Eastwood

Hallowed Grond

Phenomenal place... every golfer should play this course once in their life time....!! Just do it.... no regrets whatsoever...

Hope I can get back again.

I'll start off by saying that as soon as I walked off the 18th green, I wanted to get right back on the first tee. We finished the round in 4:30 and overall it was an amazing round/weekend.

golf Heaven

I'm not writing a review. It's five-star everything. I can't say anything more than everyone else has for the last almost 100 years.

Pebble Beach will always be special

I've been lucky enough to play Pebble Beach twice - in June of 2003 and December of 2009 - and the memories of those rounds are still vivid in my head. I think that's the ultimate sign of a 'bucket list' experience. Both times I walked the course without a caddie, carrying my own bag. I was lucky to get sunny days with little wind. I feel bad for those people who sign up for a once-in-a-lifetime round and get blasted with wind or rain or a thick marine layer that clouds the ocean views. It can happen to anybody. As for the course, it takes two holes to shake off the excited nerves. That's about the time the magic happens. The fourth through 10th holes roam along the rocky cliffs of the coast. The scenery is just off the charts, but I think it's the variety of holes that's even more special. The tee shot at the short seventh and the scary approach shot at no. 8 are epic moments in any golf career. Execute them properly and you can brag about them forever. The inland holes of the back nine take some grief from critics, although they're all solid holes. I think the par-3 17th is actually a bit overrated. It's almost impossible to hit the hour-glass-shaped green unless you're a single digit handicap, and there's not much scenery until you reach the green. I'm in the camp that believes the two trees in the landing area of the 18th fairway should be removed, but regardless, it's still a great hole. Everybody, no matter how rich or poor, should play Pebble Beach. It's a special day from start to finish.

Money Grab

The place is a money grab! Living off its reputation. The course was is poor condition for the money charged. They do not appear to have a dress code or if they do, they do not enforce it! Played with to people that tee'd off with there shirts untucked and had zero golf etiquette.Do yourself a favor go to Bandon, Pinehurst, Whistling Straits or TPC Sawgrass where you are welcomed by folkes who appear to genuinely appreciate your business. If you want to see the views of Pebble Beach Golf Links nothing stops one from walking the course. This is the first review I have ever posted on any site, but felt so ripped off at the entire golf experince I felt the need to post.

A Dream Business Trip

A beautiful course! Fortunately it is a public course and anyone can play the course. A well maintained course considering its age.

Pebble Beach Dream

Fabulous experience. Have someone walk with you to enjoy the walk. Forget the score and savor the experience. Awesome!

Mississippi Advisor

Get a Caddie

There's nothing I can add to Pebble Beach's heaps of praises, all of which are well deserved. It's a magical experience. The two things that I must emphasize are these: walk, and hire a caddie. This is arguably the world's most beautiful golf course; why anyone would want to ride in a cart on it is beyond me. Pebble Beach is an experience, and to be properly experienced, it must be walked. Likewise, a caddie is going to improve your experience by saving you TONS of shots (mine probably saved me 10 strokes), carrying your bag, cleaning your clubs, raking the bunkers, and otherwise making your round hassle-free. One last thought about caddies: not all caddies are created equal. I got lucky with a spectacular, insightful, funny caddie named Crawford. My playing partners got a forecaddie who was not nearly as excited to be there. So if you know anyone who's been to Pebble, ask who caddied for them. If they recommend him/her, ask for that person in particular. If I go back, I'm asking for Crawford.

Monterey, California