Golf Links at Pebble Beach Golf Links

Staff Friendliness

Nerves tend to run tight at the start of a round at Pebble Beach, what with the teeing area raised like a stage above the omnipresent gallery of Lodge guests, breakfast diners and tee-time-awaiters. From the first hole, the golfer quickly realizes that this is no typical West Coast resort course, tucked tightly between condos and designed within economics of scale. This course is larger than life, boasting mature stands of trees, roller coaster greens and bunkers in which you could easily hide one of the bigger sport utility vehicles. But it looks as if the course has taken a hundred years to develop this way and indeed it nearly has. The first 9-hole track was laid out along the cove in 1913.
Scorecard for Pebble Beach Golf Links
U.S Open M: 75.5/145 380 502 404 331 195 523 109 428 505 3377 495 390 202 445 580 397 403 208 543 3663 7040
Blue M: 74.7/143 377 511 390 326 192 506 106 427 481 3316 446 373 201 403 572 396 401 177 543 3512 6828
Gold M: 72.6/136 346 460 374 307 142 487 98 400 460 3074 429 349 187 391 560 377 376 170 532 3371 6445
White M: 71.3/132 332 428 334 295 130 467 94 373 435 2888 409 340 179 372 548 340 368 163 509 3228 6116
Red W: 71.8/129 309 360 282 253 112 387 90 361 333 2487 341 303 165 289 436 313 309 148 458 2762 5249

Year Built 1919
Fairways Rye Grass
Greens Rye Grass
Architect Jack Neville (1919) Douglas Grant (1919)

Caddies Yes
Golf School Academy Yes - "Pebble Beach Golf Academy"

Dress code Shirts and shoes are required at all times.

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in California (2017 #2)
  • Golf Advisor: Ginella's Top 50 U.S. Courses You Can Play (2016 #1) (2015 #1)
  • Golf Advisor: Top 25 Friendliest Courses in the U.S. (2017 #9)
  • Golf Advisor: Top 25 Courses for Layout in the U.S. (2017 #1)
  • Golf Advisor: Best of Golf Advisor (2017 #5)
  • Golf Advisor: Top 25 Off-course amenities in the U.S. (2017 #3)

Amazing Food 7
A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 10

Best Golf Day Ever

I mean, it's Pebble. Worth the tag, worth the trip, check one off the Bucket List. It was in incredible shape. We had an absolutely wonderful caddie (Bill - Scottish guy from St Andrews!). It was very windy but hey, that's part of what you sign up for there. It was a perfect experience in every way.
Course Layout Excellent

Just as good as I had imagined

Pebble Beach really is as good as it's made out to be. The views are outstanding. The course architecture is totally original, yet classic. If you have the opportunity to play it, just do it. Enjoy the best 6,900 yard walk you'll ever take.
San Francisco Advisor

It's about the journey not the destination

This is my second time playing Pebble. I played in January and somehow managed to shoot a very respectable score (for me) managing 7 pars but no birdies. Going into this round I pre-focused on wanting to better my score which was a big mistake. This is a course you need to just relax and enjoy the journey, If the score comes then so be it. The course plays a lot harder than the yardage suggests. Greens are small and fast. Make that very fast on downhill putts. I had a 15 footer that I hit like a one foot tap in and the ball ran 12-15' past the hole!! If you're coming into the peninsula for a golf trip head out to nearby Bayonet/Blackhorse for some putting practice. The greens there are just as fast and challanging and will help get you used to the greens at Pebble. Course conditions were great as expected for a top notch course. I will say that the sand in the bunkers was average with a few of them being a little thin. I was in 8 bunkers during the round (it was one of those days) so I got to test a lot of them. My caddie and I weren't on the same page all day which began to frustrate me. Whereas my first time here, my caddy Matt treated every putt like it was the one needed to win the AT&T PB Pro-Am and every shot was treated like I was trying to qualify for the Open. This time, my caddie was more interested in talking surfing to us or walked off down the fairway ahead of us before we teed off. Not quite the service I expect and have had in the past. The caddy at Spanish Bay was absolutely a delight and that was when I had my worst round of the year Overall it was still an absolutely wonderful day at an absolutely spectacular golf course. I didn't have as many pars, but I did get my birdie! I'll definitely go back again!
Staff Friendliness Good
Course Layout Excellent

The mecca of American golf. Amazing experience!

Can I give it 6 stars? This is golf heaven for anyone who loves the game. Unlike the experience on other ocean/bay side courses, playing out into the peninsula and back is extraordinary. The greens are small and beautifully sloped. The bunkers are deep. The layout is superb. Some criticize the inland holes, but I think that is silly criticism. The inland holes on the back 9 still give amazing elevated views of the bay, and you are playing along some stunning mansions. Among the inland holes, 14 and 16 are terrific, and 3 is very good. The others are all sound, enjoyable holes. the 4-10 stretch along the water, especially 6-9, are mind blowing. The only negative is the pace of play. Lots of waiting to hit your shots. The caddies were great, and this is one of the most incredible golf experiences you can have.
Pace of Play Poor

Perfection

The most amazing course I’ve ever played. This was my 8th time playing there and it still provides the butterflies on the first tee, the excitement of being there for the first time. For anyone who truly loves golf and has not been there I can only ask, why? Yes, it’s expensive but it is worth every penny. As soon as you get to the 2nd fairway and look right and see the ocean you know you’re in heaven. Holes 3-5 are so underrated. Hole 4 is short but one of the smallest greens you will see and the view is amazing. 5 is a great par 3. A must is to.take a caddie. They will save you many stokes on the greens plus the experience of walking is tremendous. When booking the trip, make sure you find out annual aeration schedule. They typically do so 4 times per year and you do not want to spend all that $ plan a trip and show up to putt on punched greens. Don’t listen to the negative talk about 5 hr rounds. Who cares with those vistas!!!! The drive through 17 mile drive and all the other things to do make it a bucket list trip.
Course Layout Excellent

Awesome bucket list day! One improvement requested.

When the rains stop and the sun comes out just before your tee time you know you are blessed. The TV cameras can not reflect the real topography of this course. Simply amazing. Had a couple of birdies that I will cherish! Hubert in the pro shop is super nice. The price is the price - a lot to play for golf and when you add caddy, tip and cart it's way up there, but we agreed the experience was worth the cost. Only improvement is too keep people off the cart path along the right of hole #18. While preparing for approach shot, had a woman come up to me and ask to borrow a club for a photo! Course grounds should be off limits for tourists even if "public" course.
Value for the Money Average
Denver Advisor

Once in a lifetime

This is actually the second time that I have been here. There were 15 years and a lot of golf vacations in between. This is America's golf course. You know what you are getting-the scenery, a half dozen of the best holes in earth, treated like royalty, etc. The course itself needs no explanation. The stretch from #5 to #10 is as great as advertised. I will say that it isn't six great holes and 12 bad ones. Strategically, they are all good to great. Small greens so aim at the middle. Outside of the golf-it is pebble beach so they have everything. They are incredibly nice as well they should be. You have access to the range and putting greens. The putting greens are similar to the course so use them. Your green fee also gets you through 17 mile drive so do this on the same day you play. I wrote once in a lifetime due to cost/value. If you can afford to play here all the time and get on to the private courses in the neighborhood then the Monterey Peninsula could be the experience of a lifetime. If not, then there is equally great golf for less elsewhere-Bandon, etc. Although you have to get very elite as far as the quality of the courses to do so. I will encourage you to play here once as a gift to yourself-ignore the price tag and take in the whole experience. If you are a single, you can call 24 hours ahead and hope for an opening. No stay necessarily.

Sour grapes

I know, I know, I know... Golf magazine top... Golf digest top ... Ok, I played on a picture perfect day. And, played the course relatively well compared to what others have told me when they played. From the start, everybody there is very cordial and friendly. Even other players are friendly and giddy about playing this iconic course. The course condition was average (great tight fairways, but the greens were bumpy and slower than I anticipated). Edges were rough and I didn't care for the construction and temporary green on #14. The greens were truly smaller than I had expected even after seeing on TV and in person through ProAm and US Open. So, why only four stars? The price. Face it, the staff is friendly because they're picking your pocket left and right. $495 for green fee, $80 for caddy, $35 - $50 caddy tip, $4 bottle of water... Money just pours out as soon as you step on the property. I've played Pelican Hills (both South and North), Torrey Pines (both South and North), Trump National, Monarch Beach and other iconic courses in SoCal area so my expectation may have been higher. But, other courses didn't gauge you for every little thing. I enjoyed playing as this is an iconic course. But, I'll spend my green fees at other courses that are just as fun and just as scenic.
Off-course amenities Good
Value for the Money Average
San Francisco Advisor

Awesome Experience!

First the technical aspects of playing Pebble Beach. The course is in fantastic shape tee to green as expected. Greens are small but very manageable. In my opinion they are much easier than Blackhorse & Bayonet down the road. Of course having a caddie give you spot on reads helps. Course is a must walk in my book. That gives you time to enjoy the plentiful views. Speaking of time... It's going to be a 5 hour round. Just accept that. You just paid five bills so why would you want to rush it. Having said that the caddies do a good job keeping players moving along. The course layout combined with the ocean views is just absolutely surreal. You are right on the waters edge on 6-8 holes and have views of the ocean on another 5-6 holes. We had no issues with staff. All were professional and polite If I had one complaint it would be lack of bathrooms. I'm already making plans to play it again in the summer!
Staff Friendliness Good