Style Links

Even the pros - who play Pebble Beach annually every February for the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-am - admit the views of Stillwater Cove never get old. Pebble Beach is simply one of golf's greatest treasures. There's so much history and scenery here, dating to the first "Crosby Clambake" in 1947, a celebrity affair that is today's AT&T. Pebble Beach celebrates its centennial in 2019 with its sixth U.S. Open. Some of golf's most famous shots have been struck by its winners, including Jack Nicklaus (1972), Tom Watson (1982), Tom Kite (1992), Tiger Woods (2000) and Graeme McDowell (2010). Its coastal holes along the cliffs of Stillwater Cove and Carmel Bay - Nos. 4-10 and Nos. 17-18 - rank among the most beautiful and challenging in the world. Playing Pebble Beach is the epitome of bucket-list golf.

Year Built 1919
Fairways Rye Grass
Greens Rye Grass

Carts Yes - $45

Caddies Yes
Golf School Academy Yes - "Pebble Beach Golf Academy"

Dress code Shirts and shoes are required at all times.

Amazing Food 8
A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 11

Pebble- Bucket list course

Waiting my whole life to play this course, watching multiple tournaments, came with huge expectations, Pebble Beach didn’t disappoint. Incredible condition, beautiful sights worth every penny spent. Very small greens, fairly short course by today’s standards. I rented the electro golf cart—cart path only always— didn’t know this until the first hole when the 2 I was paired with had candies, and they told me. I will definitely get a caddy if I came back.

Worth it

It’s expensive however it’s a must for anyone who loves the game and well worth it. The history is incredible. The course must be walked for sure as it’s the experience of walking where the legends have played. There is truly no feeling like it. The caddies are great, ask for jim. He keeps you relaxed and really allowed us to enjoy our experience, with the stories, the jokes and the jabs. It’s a bucket list item for sure. And of course 7 and 18. Don’t forgot your buds can watch you tee off on hole 1 over the Internet, don’t shank it.

A taste of life at the U.S. Open

Playing Pebble Beach during 2019 U.S. Open media day was a special kind of challenge. On one hand, it might have been the most visual experience I've ever had there - dolphins swimming off the 7th green and surfers riding waves off of the 18th tee. On the other, it was the most difficult of setups. The fairways had been narrowed for the U.S. Open and the rough starting to show its teeth. It wasn't hack-out unbearable, but it did make for a long day for those crooked off the tee. The round started with perfect weather and sunshine before some big winds kicked up off the ocean. The day ended as all rounds at Pebble Beach should with beers and grub in the Tap Room. My two travel companions had never played Pebble before, so I fed off their energy and enthusiasm. As days at the office go, this one can't be topped.

Sensational

Rare do you show up to a course for the first time already knowing so much about it. Even still, I left with a whole new level of appreciation of Pebble Beach. We played the course a few weeks before the upcoming 2019 US Open and the course couldn't have been in better shape. The rough was grown out but you could still catch some decent lies in it. Greens were fabulous.

Pebble's routing is unbelievable. The 6th hole is probably the most remarkable hole I've ever seen. 8 is all drama too. What's crazy is that when we turned the corner and got to 11, I almost felt this sense of relief after 7 incredibly intense oceanfront holes. You get a few holes inland to catch your breath and then get right back out on 17 and then finish with a bang on 18.

A few notes:

Taking a cart is pointless. We did because we were in a shotgun, but it's cart-path only every day and on pretty much every hole the cart path is on the opposite side of the ocean or well off the fairway. Just walk or take a caddie (ours was very good).

Be sure to take enough club off the 8th tee! Staff say too many golfers lay back too much and end up with 200 yards into the green.

Pace was bad but we were in a media shotgun with many of the holes having A & B groups (and we were all getting tons of video, photography etc.).. Staff say that thanks to Tagmarhall, normal tee sheets are averaging under 5 hours now.

The staff plans on keeping the course in US Open shape all summer but will scale back the rough to "resort" conditions before the Champions Tour event this fall. All in all I felt the round was challenging but the fairways weren't too narrow (I hit 8 of them!). The greens are small and quick. If you hit a green you've got a good chance at a birdie.

There is a reason why the US Open held its 100th event here and Pebble's 100th anniversary will host the US Open. I can't think of a more fitting venue to hold our nation's tournament.

Simply spectacular

I was so looking forward to playing the 18th hole. By the time I played 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, and 11 ... 18 was somewhat an afterthought. If you can, you must play Pebble.

Plays Once a year

We did not play, only spectated

Wow, what an epic place! My husband and I loved our time at Pebble Beach. This place is nothing short of pristine, and as amateur non-golfers, we loved spectating the final hole from the bar and looking out at the water. What an amazing place to finish the 17 Mile drive. We highly recommend doing the 17-Mile drive, making all the stops and ending at Pebble Beach. Such a memorable experience.

Windy day at Pebble Beach Food and Wine

This wasn't your traditional Pebble Beach experience. I played in the 2019 Celebrity Chef & Winemaker Golf Tournament at Pebble Beach Food & Wine. I've always walked Pebble, so this was my first time in a cart. It's also the first time I've eaten gourmet pizza and shrimp cocktail on the course and drank wine from around the world. Hard as it is to believe, this tournament is as much about the food and drink as it is about the course. The event was a scramble so it was easy to just relax and enjoy the view and not really worry about your shots or score.
The fairways were being narrowed for the upcoming U.S. Open, but thankfully the rough wasn't fully grown in yet. The stretch of holes 6-9 has to be the best four-hole run in golf, at least from what I've played. It was a special day to say the least.

Florida Advisor

It is everything you could imagine and more

TV does not do this course justice. I go the huge opportunity to play this golf course with my grandfather on my spring break. We drove 2 hours from Sacramento and endured double the traffic on the way back but it was all worth it. The first tee box presents you with a bit of nerves because there are plenty of people around watching you tee off. I regretfully took a cart, I say regretfully because with it being cart path only its just like walking. I would strongly recommend a caddie. By far my favorite hole was number 8, a lay up approach shot gives you the opportunity to hit over a cove to the green below your feet. Pro tip: We booked our tee time the day after they punched the greens and they were very sandy but they took a large sum off the total price and lifted the "stay to play" rule. If youre okay with playing on sandy (but still better than your local muni) greens I would go that route. If its on your bucket list, do it.

The End All Be All

Anyone who has heard of golf has heard of Pebble Beach. We watch it on TV, we hear the legend, but to play it in person is the single most breathtaking 18 holes in golf. It doesn't just live up to the hype, it exceeds it. Beyond the course itself is the incredible staff, the delicious restaurants, the fabulous amenities, and the simple pleasure and awe in driving on 17 Mile Drive. This course is on everyone's bucket list for a reason and it is always a true honor any time I get to step foot on the course.

Pebble Beach

Most phenomenal course I ever played in the worst weather conditions. The course conditions were not the fault of the course. It was just hard to play with flooded greens and waves crashing onto the 18th. But, hey, its Pebble.

The Best!

I love golf courses with Ocean views. Whether it is the Palm Beach Par three, or Bandon Dunes Golf Resort, I always make a point to play ocean courses. I thought that Pacific Dunes would always be my favorite, but that was before I played Pebble. It was perfect weather, and there is nothing that can prepare you for the view of 17, and your first glimpses of the cliff on the 6th hole, as you make the turn walking down the third hole. It is remarkable! Lastly, do not let yourself get bullied into playing a specific tee box by the starter, after all, you just dropped a lot of money for the round. If you are a longer hitter, play from the tips. Even if you are the only one in your group playing from the back (like I was), you will not hold up play, as the round already takes 5+ hours. Personally, it made my day so much better to play from the correct tee box.

A Little Piece of Heaven

Clearly the course of my dreams and should be yours as well. I never thought i would personally get to play here but there i was . The Pebble Beach resort and golf course offers you everything you have heard and more! From the arrival and friendly check-in(we stayed two nites in the Lodge), to the renowned steak restaurant you just have to visit and to the Lodge accommodations; we were blown away and we had not reached the first tee yet.
We woke the next morning to a blue sunny sky; a good omen for the day. We ate breakfast in the diner overlooking the putting green near the first tee after which we went back to the Lodge and had our clubs picked up and delivered to the first tee. We made our way to the pro shop and happily paid the green fees including caddy fees and went to the practice range. The range was first class and after warming up on the putting green, we went to the first tee where we met our caddies and waved to the camera overlooking the tee. My daughters were online watching back in Canada at our tee-off time and saw us on the first tee; again fantastic! We then hit our first tee shot and started what would be the most memorable round of golf i have ever played.
From the first hole which doglegs right and which I parred out to the spectacular 4th through 10th ocean- view holes, including the short wind-swept par 3 seventh overlooking the beautiful Pacific Ocean, the holes are truly memorable. The 11th hole turns back into the inner portion of the course and is known for Bing Crosby's house where he entertained famous invite-only guests back in the day. Working your way to the 14th par five, it is protected by spectacular houses owned by some of the world's most rich and famous. After finishing the more recently remodelled 17th par three you approach one of the most photographed eighteenth holes in golf. Playing up the right side of the fairway, i had a tear in my eye as i walked the fairway; humbled by the day's experience and struck by the sea lions in the Ocean which runs all down the left side of the fairway.
Finishing up the 18th, we shook hands, gave a tip to our caddies and walked up the hill to the Bench bar for a refreshment overlooking the 18th. After an hour, we went back to our room, I went down to the Lodge pool and came back for a shower and we were off to a local restaurant in quaint Carmel. Most of the evening was filled with stories of the day and we wondered whether golf could get any better than this!
Enjoy your experience at the Pebble Beach Resort; its truly an experience of a lifetime if you love golf and yearn for a Little Piece of Heaven!

Best Golf Day Ever

I mean, it's Pebble. Worth the tag, worth the trip, check one off the Bucket List.

It was in incredible shape. We had an absolutely wonderful caddie (Bill - Scottish guy from St Andrews!). It was very windy but hey, that's part of what you sign up for there. It was a perfect experience in every way.

Just as good as I had imagined

Pebble Beach really is as good as it's made out to be. The views are outstanding. The course architecture is totally original, yet classic. If you have the opportunity to play it, just do it. Enjoy the best 6,900 yard walk you'll ever take.

San Francisco Advisor

It's about the journey not the destination

This is my second time playing Pebble. I played in January and somehow managed to shoot a very respectable score (for me) managing 7 pars but no birdies. Going into this round I pre-focused on wanting to better my score which was a big mistake. This is a course you need to just relax and enjoy the journey, If the score comes then so be it.

The course plays a lot harder than the yardage suggests. Greens are small and fast. Make that very fast on downhill putts. I had a 15 footer that I hit like a one foot tap in and the ball ran 12-15' past the hole!!

If you're coming into the peninsula for a golf trip head out to nearby Bayonet/Blackhorse for some putting practice. The greens there are just as fast and challanging and will help get you used to the greens at Pebble.

Course conditions were great as expected for a top notch course. I will say that the sand in the bunkers was average with a few of them being a little thin. I was in 8 bunkers during the round (it was one of those days) so I got to test a lot of them.

My caddie and I weren't on the same page all day which began to frustrate me. Whereas my first time here, my caddy Matt treated every putt like it was the one needed to win the AT&T PB Pro-Am and every shot was treated like I was trying to qualify for the Open. This time, my caddie was more interested in talking surfing to us or walked off down the fairway ahead of us before we teed off. Not quite the service I expect and have had in the past. The caddy at Spanish Bay was absolutely a delight and that was when I had my worst round of the year

Overall it was still an absolutely wonderful day at an absolutely spectacular golf course. I didn't have as many pars, but I did get my birdie!

I'll definitely go back again!

N Y N J Advisor

The mecca of American golf. Amazing experience!

Can I give it 6 stars? This is golf heaven for anyone who loves the game. Unlike the experience on other ocean/bay side courses, playing out into the peninsula and back is extraordinary. The greens are small and beautifully sloped. The bunkers are deep. The layout is superb. Some criticize the inland holes, but I think that is silly criticism. The inland holes on the back 9 still give amazing elevated views of the bay, and you are playing along some stunning mansions. Among the inland holes, 14 and 16 are terrific, and 3 is very good. The others are all sound, enjoyable holes. the 4-10 stretch along the water, especially 6-9, are mind blowing. The only negative is the pace of play. Lots of waiting to hit your shots. The caddies were great, and this is one of the most incredible golf experiences you can have.

Perfection

The most amazing course I’ve ever played. This was my 8th time playing there and it still provides the butterflies on the first tee, the excitement of being there for the first time.
For anyone who truly loves golf and has not been there I can only ask, why? Yes, it’s expensive but it is worth every penny.
As soon as you get to the 2nd fairway and look right and see the ocean you know you’re in heaven.
Holes 3-5 are so underrated. Hole 4 is short but one of the smallest greens you will see and the view is amazing. 5 is a great par 3.

A must is to.take a caddie. They will save you many stokes on the greens plus the experience of walking is tremendous.
When booking the trip, make sure you find out annual aeration schedule. They typically do so 4 times per year and you do not want to spend all that $ plan a trip and show up to putt on punched greens.
Don’t listen to the negative talk about 5 hr rounds. Who cares with those vistas!!!!
The drive through 17 mile drive and all the other things to do make it a bucket list trip.

Awesome bucket list day! One improvement requested.

When the rains stop and the sun comes out just before your tee time you know you are blessed. The TV cameras can not reflect the real topography of this course. Simply amazing. Had a couple of birdies that I will cherish! Hubert in the pro shop is super nice. The price is the price - a lot to play for golf and when you add caddy, tip and cart it's way up there, but we agreed the experience was worth the cost. Only improvement is too keep people off the cart path along the right of hole #18. While preparing for approach shot, had a woman come up to me and ask to borrow a club for a photo! Course grounds should be off limits for tourists even if "public" course.

Monterey, California