Bear Trace at Harrison Bay

Year Built 1999
Architect Jack Nicklaus (1999)

Cheers to the greens keeper

The course was in great shape for mid August. Challenging and fun. Beautiful lake surroundings. Definitely a return trip. Be sure and grab a bite at Fresh Burger Grill after the round. Great burgers, fries and staff

Driver friendly

My only complaint is with the layout that you end up playing driver off the tee all the par 5’s and all but one par 4. I hit driver 6 or 7 iron at least 7 times.
Pace of play is great with the course marshals out keeping everyone moving.
Driving range is good with excellent turf to hit off of.
Staff is friendly and helpful.

Favorite so far

Recently moved to area, comparing to five courses at this time. It would recommend, great Value, beautiful public course with plenty of wild life.

Good Course, Awful Pace of Play Management

This course is always in really good shape. The greens were running very fast and true. However, we were backed up all day and the back 9 we had 2 wait for 2 groups to tee off on each hole. The round took 5 hrs and 15 mins. This makes for a long round where you cannot get into any kind of rhythm.

Good value

Pretty good course too many short shots for my taste can only hit your driver a handful of times

Good value, but pace kind of slow

The course is a great value and the conditions were what you’d expect for late March (rough and spots in fairways still dormant). The pace of play was a little slow, which was kind of expected with it being 75 degrees and perfect weather on a Friday afternoon. The greens however rolled true and were very quick with many subtle breaks. Overall impressions are incrediblibly positive and will definitely have to return to play it again.

For the time of year it was great!

I belong to a country club in Buffalo and was looking for a course to play while I came to watch my daughter play college lacrosse. I had no idea when the golf season starts and ends in Tenn. but hoped to play somewhere in March. Surprisingly the temp. was 50 and Tenn. had rec’d lots of rain. The course was wet, however the greens were in amazing condition and rolled very true. Being off season, the fairways were obviously brown, but the course was in great shape. Lakes surround this gorgeous, scenic course, but rarely come into play on most of the holes. I can’t wait to get back here in the spring or summer to play this track! This is truly a great golf course and I’ve played some of the top courses in the country (Pebble, Kiawah, The National, Oak Hill, Aronimink, Harbor Town) to name a few. This is a wonderful golf course designed by the Golden Bear with a very friendly staff. Loved the experience!

I was down visiting family and wanted to play a round. The course looked awesome on line and it didn’t disappoint. With the storms they’ve been getting it was pretty soggy but they did allow 90 degrees off the path. My brother, the local, is not a player but they were kind enough to allow him to drive my cart. GREAT staff and again, incredible course. I WILL be back!!!

Ray Brown
Levittown, PA

Great layout great course great conditions and very friendly staff my son and I driving from Cincinnati to Atlanta stopped and had a great round of golf here.

Great as always

BT was again in great shape when our group played there.

Worth the drive (From ATL)

I was in Chattanooga for the weekend visiting a friend. I chose this course for us based on reviews, and man was it awesome.

The drive in has a lot of wildlife and some scenic views of the lake. Almost all tee boxes had ample, green grass. The fairways were lush with striped grass and decent grass in the first cut of rough. Greens were hard to read in the morning with a lot of dew but dried up by noon. Bunkers were well maintained with only a few being too dense from the rain. Most holes have nice views of the lake and are good for pictures. There's a lot of land on the course, making for a relaxing round that doesn't appear too crowded.

For the cost, the only other courses I find comparable in metro Atlanta are Wolf Creek and Woodmont. I'm not saying I would drive up from Atlanta every weekend because it is a good 2 hr drive, but it's worth doing at least once.

Great course.

Because of previous storm, played with cart path only. Course was wet condition but layout and maintenance was good. Like to play again when good condition.

Fun course that is also scenic

Open course that makes that is not tight, well kept with friendly staff. Well maintained

Nice Course in excellent condition

I really enjoyed my round. The fairways and greens were in excellent shape. The course has a wonderful feel playing through the woods and occasionally near the Tennessee River. The greens were fair and true but I felt that they were rather flat with few contours...or else I putted better than usual;-). Definitely would recommend it and would play it again if I get the chance.

Huge conditons improvement over last year

After a couple of summers with some tough weather and conditions, today the course was in very good shape. Tees, fairways, and greens very very good. Greens especially smooth and dense. A tad slow but that's okay. Still some hardpan spots where people don't drive/park their carts properly but those areas generally aren't in play. Really solid layout that has some teeth from the blue tees. Even after all the rain the course drained very well and was a delight to play. Kudos to the staff for improving conditions so much since last Summer. Definitely recommend Bear Trace when in Chattanooga.

Out trip to Chattanooga

What a great day on the course. We were paired up with a member and he was great to be with. Hitting the ball well made the day even better, Jack's courses can be a "Bear" if you are not playing well.

Ooltewah, Tennessee
Hixson, Tennessee
Soddy Daisy, Tennessee
Ooltewah, Tennessee
Signal Mountain, Tennessee

Valid dates: Oct 10, 2019 - Oct 31, 2019
Golf Package Special for October starts at $199.00 for 1 or 2 golfers, Monday to Thursday. Golf included for each nights stay. Call 520-577-4092 to add additional golfers to the package.