Designed by Steve Smyers, Cheval Golf and Athletic Club's (previously known as Cheval Country Club) mature and meticulously maintained course meanders through 860 acres of elegantly designed development property. Cypress trees abound on this course along with native Florida wildlife including deer, alligators, otters, eagles, wading birds and more. Cheval is one of the area's most prestigious semi-private clubs and offers 18 holes of championship golf. Precise shot placement is required to avoid the 108 bunkers and water hazards that lurk on every hole. A large practice facility includes target greens, distance markings, a practice greens-side bunker, a practice fairway bunker, large putting green and separate pitching green.

Cheval Golf and Athletic Club

Year Built 1986
Greens Champion turf
Architect Steve Smyers

Walking Allowed No
Dress code Traditional golf attire required.

Lots of water. Fun challenge.

Loved the course. Lots of fun. Lots if trouble with water coming in play on my fade on a number of holes. Lots of challenging holes. I think hole 18 is better and mire challenging and prettier than the signature 17th hole island green. Course had very few people on it at the time ee played, so we played 18 holes in 3 jours. Aeesome time.

Great find near Tampa

Had a GREAT day at the course. Really nice people in the pro shop, bag drop and starter. Everyone made us feel very welcome. Course conditions were very good (a couple of the greens were pretty rough in spots). The only downside was the food at the turn. When checking in, the pro shop made a big deal about our ability to order using the GPS to minimize our delay. When we got to the restaurant they said that the menu on the carts was no longer available so our order couldn’t be filled. As a result we had to wait 20-25 mins for our to go lunch. All in all a great day with one hiccup that made the round a bit longer.

Everything great except greens

First time there and I expected more than so so greens. The fairways, approaches, tee box's perfect, but the greens had quite a few bare spots! Its takes virtually very little time to scratch and put sand on these spots so I don't know why they haven't. And as for the goose grass.....I see Million Dollar homes so money can't be the reason the greens are crappy. I would go again if its a HOT Deal on Golf now, but I wouldn't ever pay full price. BTW the inside staff is great

Hard, great shape, challenge.

This is in my opinion one of the toughest, most beautiful tracks west central Florida has to offer. Its tests every aspect of your game. It's in perfect playing conditions, best fairways in Tampa Region, Greens roll so true, and its scenery is off the charts. Lunch was incredible. You are treated like with such respect by the staff, from the moment you arrive, there is a cart and a gentleman ready to grab your clubs for you, to the staff in pro shop, they will answer any questions you have, and the restaurant is nice with a great waitstaff and food. If your reading this, book your round now, its definitely a special day at this course.

Soggy time

It is a very nice course but when we were there it was very wet . Hard to find a dry spot in the fairway. If we had gone there during the dry season it would have been great. I like the layout

Florida Advisor

Really Great Course

This golf course has some extremely difficult/fun/scenic golf holes. The back 9 starts off with a par 5 and water well in play (as with most of the rest of the course) and the excitement does not stop there. The most challenging hole is a par 5 on the front nine with water that hugs the front/ right side of the fairway all the way up to the green, this hole will force your to carry over the water to make the fairway. The conditions are very nice and the carts are incredible (they have Bluetooth connectivity). All of the staff I encountered were great with the exception of the membership liaison, I inquired about a membership and left my number with her and she told me she would "definitely be getting in contact." After 2 weeks of hearing nothing I drove out to the course to see what was going on and she was not there so I left a message to have her call me and here I sit about a month later and I have heard nothing from her. Very disappointing because I could see this course being my home.

Great shape

Great course, pace a bit slow, but overall in great shape for the $.

Great layout.

Greens burned out on 5-6 holes in spots.

Mediocre upkeep

Beautiful course

To start with we arrived and there had been a mix up with golf now reservation Cheval had us down to play only the following week but they arranged it so we could play anyway after a 45 min. Drive and looking fwd to playing we were very happy they accommodated us The course is beautiful great condition very challenging , not for beginners The club house is very nice indoors
It’s a must try and we would go back

Good experience

Only negative is that they had top dressed the greens and they were rough.

Greens Need Work!

This could be a 5 star golf course if the greens were as good as most of the fairways. Also some traps had no sand in them, just a veneer of sand over packed down mud.

This course has a wonderful layout and combination of some very tough holes along with some easier ones. Driving is made a bit easier due to fairly wide fairways in most cases. They recently re-opened the 17th hole, a tough par 3. In my opinion the greens are not mature enough to resist a lot of damage. There were many ball marks and scars on this green. That's a shame.

Most of the greens were covered by a green sandy top dressing thick enough that some idiot wrote messages in them. Much of the top dressing also looked like it had bits of shells in them, creating a very bumpy path. They may have to start including a broom on the cart along with the rake.

I hope they are able to bring these greens back to where they should be. Then it would be a must-play.

Excellent

Excellent on all counts! Can't wait to play again.

Great Value for the Money

Lush fairways; True greens; Challenging holes; Finished in 3.5 hours; Friendly staff; Great layout; New 17th hole nice addition. Only negative is back nine has a few greens that still need work. One of my favorite courses in Tampa Bay area.

Fairways good, greens were still growing from overseeing.

The fairways were in good shape. The greens were a little spotty in places. Looks like a lot of traffic has been on the greensn and they need more time to grow. Overall, a good experience.

Enjoyable n challenging

Fairways n greens in excellent shape water on every hole nice lay-out challenging but rewarding gps staff very friendly beautiful course

Challenging course. Great layout. Cart paths in good shape. Tee boxes and greens good be in better shape compared to others in the area but still ok. All in all a good course and a great round.

Pleasant place for sure

I played this place years ago and I wasn't expecting much knowing they are getting it back together but seriously impressed with the condition and the fact they scheduled tee times 9 minutes apart

really helps to give people some space the starter there is the same guy and he's awesome and the bar and grill or whatever restaurant has some pretty fantastic food I had the bacon lettuce and tomato with goat cheese

For a guy like me that shoots below 80 this place is a pleasure to play for sure as of now

Valid dates: Dec 05, 2019 - Nov 01, 2020