Chickasaw Golf Course

Formerly known as Bear Trace Golf Course at Chickasaw State Park
Scorecard for Bear Trace
Gold M: 74.9/131 571 403 389 392 199 400 423 144 561 3482 394 408 225 534 462 428 539 218 428 3636 7118
Blue M: 73.1/123 535 371 339 349 147 391 381 133 531 3177 355 380 195 510 439 411 468 185 381 3324 6501
White M: 70.7/121 W: 71.7/123 516 349 312 316 135 373 346 116 500 2963 310 353 169 494 415 375 434 159 358 3067 6030
Red W: 67.1/113 475 301 230 285 121 364 329 94 471 2670 279 319 134 424 361 270 378 140 304 2609 5279

Year Built 2000
Architect Jack Nicklaus (2000)

Carts Yes - included in green fee

Credit Cards Accepted Amex MasterCard Visa Discover card(s) Welcomed

A top West TN golf destination

Originally opened as part of the Bear Trace system, this course closed for a short time. Reopened now and under new consistent, involved and vested management, the course conditions have improved each year, and I suspect it is in as good a shape as any of the other Bear Traces. The layout is ridiculous good. A real jewel at this green fee. (Ck the green fees at Harrison Bay or Cumberland Mtn) Do your homework and you will see Chickasaw highly rated shortly after opening. As good now as then. Don't miss the opportunity to play if you can, especially during this upcoming Fall color season. Not a house in sight, just gorgeous forest and wetlands. See their website and FB page for lots of good pics

Great course!!

Had a great time! Staff was very friendly. Course was in great shape.

Greens hard as a rock

fairways are in great shape. Course is challenging with lots of places balls can wind up missing.

Greens are terrible. Hard and very slow

Love this course!

Great course! Very friendly staff. Will definitely be back again

Great outing

Chickasaw is about one hour away from Memphis. However, it is worlds away from there too. The course was fun, challenging, and enjoyable. We stayed in the Tennessee state park nearby and used Golf Now to schedule a Saturday tee time. It was a gorgeous day and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. I can't wait to go back. The guys in the shop were friendly and helpful. The carts were clean and ran well. The greens were in good shape. I would definitely recommend this course.

Hidden gem for sure!!!

What a great course!! Pretty drive to the course and once we were there it was really nice. Great log cabin clubhouse and everyone was great! Easy to navigate around as the cart paths are right along the way!! Course was in awesome shape!! Greens were fast and true. Bunkers were well kept (yes I found my way into a couple). Every tee shot I could have taken a picture. Couldn't believe what I was getting for the money. Don't know the owners at all, but was super impressed. My brother is in town and we my play it again this weekend if I have anything to say about it. Looking forward to playing it again!

Lots of fun

Weather was awesome, course was great, a great time was had by all

Love this course!

I live right outside nashville and whenever I come to west tennesse to visit family I always want to play this course. The layout and scenery are amazing! The greens can be rough in some spots, but it's only been open for a couple of years since it was closed for a few years. In a year or two this will be one of the premier courses in tennessee. It is well worth the money!

Great course for the price

Greens were much improved from the previous time I played. Still some rough spots but will improve with time.

Great layout

Tee to green in good condition. Not as manicured as a high end club but very playable. The negative of this course is that around the outside edges of several greens they have dead spots, this has always been the trouble spot for this course. If they could ever get the edges of the greens to fill in it would be a real gem. The Nicklaus design is as good as any you will find anywhere. Definitely worth playing in the West Tennessee area.

"In my top five favorite courses"

My wife and I are from Hood River, Oregon and we absolutely loved this Jack Nicholas designed course. I found out after the round that this course was closed for many years and this was only the second summer it has been re-opened. The owner has done a very good job of bring this course back to life. The fairways are mostly wide with tall trees lining the edges and they really didn’t come in to play for me. These tall trees gave the setting as if you were the only one on the course because you could not see the other fairways. The cart paths between each hole gave the impression as if you were going through the deep forest. The greens were firm and rolled true and overall in pretty good shape. Now there were some greens that had areas being repaired but that did not bother me or my wife.

My wife did not bring her clubs like I did so, when we went to rent a set for her the owner went and got his daughter’s set of clubs for her to use. This was true southern hospitality. I have played many courses over the years and I would say this course is in my top five favorite. When I go back to visit family again I will most definitely make time to play this course.

Nicklaus Layout is great!

This is a Jack Nicklaus layout and it is really challenging and just a great design. It's pretty tough with all the water from creeks and ponds plus the woods are not forgiving if you are left, right or long. The course was closed for a while and then new owner reopened the course. It needs some work on all areas but greens were really bad. They were "sanding" the greens the day I played but hadn't aerated them first. To me the entire course from tee boxes, fairways and greens needed "punched" to get the grass growing again. I'll be back to play again but only if course conditions improve. I got a great rate through GolfNow so it was a good value but I wouldn't want to pay full price.

Great course and value

After being closed for awhile, the new owner has the course well on the way to a full recovery. He and the rest of the staff are very helpful, friendly and competent. It is a really nice Jack Nicklaus design on a beautiful property and a great value.

Thouroghly enjoyed this course!

Such a beautiful day! Staff was super nice! Course was in great shape, other than a few greens which Damon told me about before playing. It was a 45 min drive but well worth it! I'll be coming back and bringing friends!

Chickasw has potential but not ready yet

The course recently reopened and the green were in horrible condition. Having said that, next year this course may be a gem to play. It is very scenic and has a terrific layout. I might be worth taking the chance in 2016.

Course has good potential

Good layout. This could be a great course, but the condition of the course was poor. The greens were almost unplayable. They had numerous dead spots and needed to be cut. The fairways were in good shape. There was also too many weeds around the greens.

Plays Once a year

review02

This is another golfcourse. I'm trying to input the minimum number of characters.

Best Bear Trace Layout in Tennessee

This course closed a few years back when the State give up on it. It reopened recently and laid dormant for a time. However, the ownership has brought this course a LONG way in a short time period and I am grateful for that. Presently, I would rate the course conditions as average due to the fact that some of the greens are still growing. However, some of the greens are 98% grown in and rolling beautifully! Of all the Bear Trace designed courses in Tennessee, this was always my very favorite layout. It is a fair, but tough course that wonders through the woods of Chickasaw State Park. Pleasant to the eye, but you must plan out your shots. Plenty of room to miss, but your score may pay the price. Range balls were included with the round, great food options, the wonderful cabin clubhouse is still there, super friendly staff! Pace of play was right at 4 hours for an average foursome. This is the best deal around the area to include the Middle Tennessee area. Get out and support this incredible golf course to ensure it thrives this time around. Previous ownership charged over $50 on the weekends which was too much for the area; now it is only $32 (weekend rate with range balls included) and the best deal going. Truly one of the Golden Bear's best designs in the State and on track to be back at its full beauty this Summer. Whoever owns this course, thanks for bringing it back to life! We will be back often,.

Valid dates: Nov 26, 2018 - Dec 31, 2019