Island Pointe Golf Club (FKA River Islands)

Year Built 1991
Fairways Zoysia Grass
Architect Arthur Hills (1991)

Dress code Shirts must have collars and shorts must be Bermuda length. Tank tops, t-shirts and denim are not permitted.

Beverage Carts

Clubhouse

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in Tennessee (2016 #6)

Island Time

Really neat course! Holes 1-8 and 16-18 are absolutely amazing!! I wanted to play just those holes again after my round today. Greens were in the best shape I’ve ever played. Fairways were spongy and clean. There were several staff out and about clearing branches and trimming landscaping. Everyone was polite and friendly. If I’m ever back in town I’ll play here again for sure!
No water or additional beverage service past the clubhouse so bring plenty of water or stock up for your round before you begin.

I have seen a miracle

I’ve seen a miracle. I play this course all the time so I know it very well. A week and a half ago they punched the greens and they starting to recover. I played Tuesday and I could not believe how fuzzy and bumpy the greens were ,they were not good. Some friends called and wanted to play I reluctantly said yes. Someone there must have a Magic wand lol. I could not believe my eyes the maintenance crew had mowed the greens and roll them holy cow what a difference a day makes. Great job guys keep it at the place is beautiful.

Unsafe and Unpleasant

My wife, who does not play golf, asked to ride along with me on Fathers Day. When I called the course to book a tee time, I explained that my wife would be riding with me but not playing golf. The person I spoke with at the course said that was fine; and explained to me that I would need to book my tee time through GolfNow and pay online, as it was the weekend and they were having trouble with no shows. I asked about a senior discount (I am 69), and this person said if there was not a senior discount selection on line (there was not) that I would be given a discount when I arrived at the clubhouse.

When I arrived Sunday and checked in, I was told that no senior discount was available Because it was the weekend. Then when I checked in with the starter and let him know my wife would be riding with me, he rudely informed me that I was paired with another single who would be riding in the cart with me and we would be joined by a double. He further insisted that if my wife wanted to ride with me, I would have to pay an additional cart fee. So they were charging five cart fees for this foursome, pairing me up with strangers without distancing or masks on anyone! I refused to play under those conditions and Golfnow has not returned my phone calls so I doubt I will get reimbursed for my greens fees, taxes, and ‘convenience fee.’

2 steps forward and one step back.

I love this course but on this accession the greens had not fully recovered from being punched. They were very slow and bumpy. They are making progress with the bunkers getting playable sand in more each month but still have a way to go. The scenery was wonderful as usual. Don’t give up on Island Point. It will continue to improve.

Give it a month before playing

Tee to green the conditions were fantastic after we got through the 45 minute wait for our tee time, 10:07 and we teed off at 10:55....and then we get to the greens which have been aerated and are like playing Plinko, some worse than others like No. 9 which I don’t think they’ll get back fully this year at all, it was that bad. Decent deal for the money but you may wanna work it out with your group to just count each hole as a two putt...haha

Slow

Tee off box was backed up. Finally tee’d off 20 minutes after our time. Pace of play was so slow we played 12 holes in four hours before we finally had to leave.

Nice course with beautiful scenery and layout

The course was in decent shape. Five sets of tees. Standard yardage markers in fairway and on Par 3 tees. Fairways were firm and cut tight. Greens had been aerated recently and not back to normal yet. Pro Shop was basically empty, but the gentleman working was very pleasant and helpful. I'd play there again, especially at the price I booked online.

Plays Once a year

Beautiful course though the greens were rough

Loved the challenge of crossing the river multiple times along this course. Due to COVID-19 restrictions, they were late opening and therefore the green aeration was delayed. If the greens were in a little better shape, I would have easily given this course a 5 star rating.

Nice course but.....

This course over books to the point where there are zero golf carts at your tee time. My party checked in at 10:25 for a 10:45 tee time. There was one golf cart available minus the one the starter was using. At 10:45 the 10:37 group had not came down to get a cart because they where at the range. Instead of letting us tee off on time, the starter goes to the range to find the 1037 party to tee off. Making us wait. 1 hr later and still no carts we went to ask for a refund with about 4 other party’s only to be told they couldn’t figure out how to refund us and offered a rain check. Yes.. I want to drive 45 mins to hope I get to tee off on time.
We where told by another party this isn’t the first time. For a great course, it’s poorly managed.

Warning: Do not play. Cluster-F

Tee times backed up over 45 minutes. Greens absolute trash. It’s a shame - the layout and land here could be the best in the area.

Fantastic Course / Solid Condition / Excellent Value

I want to give props to this course. It has been revered as one of the best since its inception. It is easy to criticize a course for not being perfect all of the time, but frankly for what we pay to play, perfection isn't realistic. This a great course at an exceptional value.

I am a low handicap golfer, and fickle at times. I play all around Knoxville & Severierville each week, then travel around EAST TN to play as well. This course ranks top 3 for condition, in my opinion. Now, some traps need to be cleaned up, and apparently the irrigation that waters holes #9, #11 and #12 was impacted by a lightning storm. So, those greens were a little thin and they used black sand to help the healing process. I happened to see the superintendent hand watering, he explained. He also told me they were aerifying on June 8th. I saw a couple of reviews that talked about the greens and I felt all but 3 greens were GREAT, the 3 others were good and they rolled fine, but were a little sandy (to help). Again, moot point since the greens are being aerified. They have a dwarf bermuda on the greens and it should be ready to go in 10 days, unlike bent grass greens.

If you have never played this course, you won't find a BETTER golf course. Arthur Hills has a great layout here, and the scenery is unlike any other course in EAST TN. It is well maintained, and you won't be disappointed. It gets busy, so play early if you can!

OH... and for those of you who think operating a golf course is easy and should be perfect all of the time - take a look at what this course had to address (plus I included a picture of one of the greens). Saw the golf cart in the lake on my way to #16 tee box.

Going down hill

Be aware they will be punching the Greens on the 8 of June This is a great course just not in great shape. Bunkers have been poor for a long time now Now the Greens have very little grass on them and it’s very hard to make any putt. They have sold the back nine and at some point will begin building on that part of the course. IHATE THIS AS THIS WAS A PREMO COURSE IN THIS AREA I WILL SURE MISS IT I will continue to play till then. Maybe the Greens will come back after they punch them

Terrible green conditions

I don’t know what happened to this course, it used to be one of my favorite courses around knoxville. The back nine all the green got this nasty black disease it made really hard to putt.

Could be the best course in East TN

The layout and location of the this course could make it one of the best in East TN. However, the course was in terrible condition. Half of the bunkers had weeds growing them. Seems like every green needed to be resurfaced.

Friday 26

Played Island Pointe and enjoyed it VERY much. There was a bee hive of activity as soon as we pulled it. Guys were landscaping, laying sod and watering. The food truck was open very conveniently near the first tee and it's what this course needed since the halfway shack is never open.
The greens have healed in from aerification and whatever that funk was on them is gone. Beautiful course

Fantastic Course / Great Condition

From tee to green this course is in great shape. Played over Memorial Day Weekend, despite the rain during the prior week. Traps need to be spun, and I was told that was going to happen, the maintenance got behind with weather. Fairways are beautiful and greens rolled well, and were receptive.

Overall very happy we played. Had friend last visiting from out of State and they loved it too. Hard to beat the value for the layout and conditions. Very happy. Great way to spend the holiday.

Half of the greens have been lost

Was not told half the greens were in poor shape. Should not have been full price

Disappointed

course is a favorite of my regular group. We come over from a neighboring state a few times a year. About an hour and half drive. Booked online, the only option we were given. Fees,taxes,and all 52.00...normally not an issue for quality conditions. However this place is in horrible condition. Rough is completely overgrown, bunkers haven't been touched in weeks, unplayable. Greens very hairy and then some bare spots. The restrooms are unusable out on the course even though the starter gives a speech about location of bathrooms as a suggestion to use them. Recently changed owners so?? Needs to be shut down and worked on for a couple weeks if it's to survive. Completely overpriced for current conditions.
I am a USGA member, 12 handicap,play lots of golf in hundreds of locations. Scored 88 on this day. Playing by proper USGA rules on this course in these conditions was extremely difficult and almost unfairly unplayable. Covid 19 aside, played a dozen places during the pandemic and all have kept the course conditions playable.

Fantastic Golf course

This is the second time we have played this course, it’s beautiful,very well maintained.

Sevierville, Tennessee