Situated in the heart of Long Island, Spring Lake Golf Club sprawls across 180 acres next to its namesake lake. There are two courses available at the club, the 18-hole Thunderbird and the nine-hole Sandpiper Course. The Thunderbird Course is characterized by its massive greens, most of which are lined with bunkers. Some of the fairways are wide and forgiving, but there are some narrower ones that require extra attention. At 7,035 yards from the back tees, there are a few holes that long hitters will enjoy but there are also some that will test your short-game skills. With the diversity among all of the holes, you may find yourself using all the clubs in your bag. Although Spring Lake's Sandpiper Course is only nine holes, it's just as intimidating as the Thunderbird.

Year Built 1966
Fairways Blue Grass
Greens Blue Grass
Architect Charlie Martin

Golf School Academy Yes - "Spring Lake Golf Club Academy"

Credit Cards Accepted Amex MasterCard Visa card(s) Welcomed
Dress code Collared shirts and Bermuda length shorts are acceptable.

Always great to play here

I haven''t been here in a few years, and not because of the course. Excellent place to play. Always in good shape, and the surroundings are always kept neat and clean. Will be back soon.

Not bad

Spring lake is always in good condition. Probably one of the better maintained courses on Long Island. I like the routing and enjoy the overall course layout. However, the greens and fairways very soft and spongey. It had not rained for a few days so I’m not sure why they were so soft, but the soft fairways made it very difficult to hit irons off of. I’d love to see them trim the rough and trees a bit. Otherwise you’ll enjoy the round

Could be much better

It is an ok layout and a great property.
The greens were really very slow and fuzzy.
There were no rangers for over 5 1/2 hours and two threesomes were holding up the entire course.
Half the tee shots have tree limbs obstructing the preferred direction you would wish to go. This was not by design but lack of trimming old overgrown trees.

Another great day at Spring Lake

Weather was perfect course couldn't have been in better condition. Was a great day on the course and the 19th hole service was exceptional. Cant wait to play my next round there.

First time out this year

Course was in pretty good shape for early April. Pace of play was a bit slow though. Always had to wait at the next tee. tee boxes and fairways were nice but the greens were very bumpy.

Good condition, pleasant course

Course was in great condition considering a mid-winter round. Reasonably priced layout is great for the novice golfer

SLOW

I am only writing this to let readers know that this course apparently does not stick to the alloted time slots, or at least it seems that way. We teed off at 2 pm saturday. I assumed teeing off that late would make the round a little bit less crowded. It took 40 minutes to play the first two holes. On three we were behind 4 groups waiting! The "ranger" said it would open up after the fourth hole. It ended up being a 3-1/2 hour front nine. We left. There seems no way they allowed only 5 groups out each hour. It was ridiculous.

Best maintained golf course in the area. Grass driving range. They're NOT on golf now. Go to their website to book online.

Greens pure

Excellent greens. Course has a few too many trees. Need to be cut back. Overhanging too far the 11th hole needs a chainsaw and the back tee box is wayyyy too small it also borders a 1700s graveyard and I picked up a ghost. My single cart became a 2some

Horrible staff

Guys in the pro shop are rude. The one guy tried to tell me I need a different golf glove before I even paid and caught me a little off guard. Then I played the first hole and the same guy who did work there jumped in front of me with a threesome with his buddies on the friggin 2nd hole and I was only with one other guy. Then at the end the guy from inside rushed us off the course at 8 and it doesn't get dark until 830. I don't know why these guys were so rude, I used to like playing here but won't see me or my friends again. Don't suggest going here. The food wasn't very good and the beers were expensive not very friendly environment.

Spring Lake

It would have been cheaper if I booked on the courses web site or even called them. No discount here.

Poor fairway conditions

Fairways were bare. Staff not friendly to golf now patrons. Experienced this before

Worst experience ever.. please do not play here!

Playing golf over 35 years of my life I never had an experience like this. I booked a tee time on golf now for 1 player (me). cart included. i traveled 1 1/2 hrs to get to the course. I Paid my fee and was getting ready to tee off when the starter came to me and wanted me to get out of my cart, (WHICH I PAID FOR and part of the deal with golf now) and move to another cart with some person i do not know. There were many carts available that werent being used. I told him i made the reservation through golf now for 1 person and a cart. At no time when i check in and received my cart did anyone inform me that i would have to share a cart with someone. As i was questioning the starter he went in to get the manager.she came out and demanded i get out of my cart and join the the single in the group who had a cart. She was not very nice. I did explain to her that i saw 4 to 5 others golfers on the course who had their own cart "Why Me". She didnt care just wanted me to switch. Her nasty adititude made me very angry. I then told her i would pay for a full cart fee $17 more. Before i did that, I went to the other single in the group and asked him if he paid for a full cart he said NO!. That made me more upset. I then decided to just ask for my money back which the angry woman graciously gave me back. Waste of gas, waste of time, and waste of my day off. Again i played golf for many years and never have I had an experience like this..
Stay away if you can, not worth your time.. Just a very bad ran course ...

Commented on 06/18/2018

I feel your pain!

Commented on 09/15/2015

Hey dspano, sorry that happened. They should have handled it much better. Not to defend the course but I will say that I've played as a single a few times at other courses and they've "made" me share a cart with another single or third of threesome. I don't mind the company so not a big deal to me, but I understand that's not what you paid for or wanted and the course should have respected that, especially if they were not low on carts. I'm surprised because the few times I've played at Spring Lake the service has been very good.

Best Golf Course

It's fast & easy to make reservations online, everything set when we got there.
We love this course, it's nice & clean.

Good course

Course was in good shape. Green. Not to hard but not to easy. Wasn't busy around 3pm didn't have to wait on any holes. Was in great shape. Had some good holes not to challenging but wasn't easy either. Worth playing

impeccable kept

Played here for the first time, was outstanding. Greens, fairways, and bunkers very well maintained. Would recommend this course to anyone.

Off Day for Course

First off I had a tee time booked for 8:45. They day before I get an email saying my tee time has been moved to 8:22. I thought that was odd. What would have happened if I didn't see the email and came at 8:45. Should have at least gotten a phone call.

Right away we get backed up, then by the third hole there are 3 groups waiting. One of the Rangers came by and said that the person who was supposed to open up overslept, so instead of starting at. 6am they started at 7am. Then later comes by around the 13 th hole to tell us to speed up when we were waiting for the group in front of us to tee off every hole. The other customer service issue was the beverage cart came around only once. Eventually tracked the girl down who was hanging under some trees looking at her cell phone.

The course itself was in great shape. Nice layout, perfect greens. I might try it again if there was a good deal, but I'm not going out of my way to do so.

Rainy day back-up plan!!

We played this course because we got rained out earlier in the morning further east. Found a deal on golfnow n booked it.. Had no idea what course was going to be like, and me and my buds were pleasantly surprised by what was waiting for us.. A very well maintained golf course!! Nice layout!! Definately coming back soon to play WOLF there!!!

Good round

I have played this course many times in the last 10 years and it's never been in better shape. Only big problem was pace of play. Group in front of us had 3 groups waiting at times. No rangers or staff members were there to help alleviate. Staff for the most part was friendly excepting the stater who was uncommunicative. Food was good and beverage cart was readily available on course. Overall a good round with good value for the money.

GREAT DAY

Course is probably in the best shape I have seen it the greens are very nice but a little slow other than that the pace of play was a little slow still all in all a great day

Middle Island, New York