Thunderbird at Spring Lake Golf Club

1 reviews

Situated in the heart of Long Island, Spring Lake Golf Club sprawls across 180 acres next to its namesake lake. There are two courses available at the club, the 18-hole Thunderbird and the nine-hole Sandpiper Course. The Thunderbird Course is characterized by its massive greens, most of which are lined with bunkers. Some of the fairways are wide and forgiving, but there are some narrower ones that require extra attention. At 7,035 yards from the back tees, there are a few holes that long hitters will enjoy but there are also some that will test your short-game skills. With the diversity among all of the holes, you may find yourself using all the clubs in your bag. Although Spring Lake's Sandpiper Course is only nine holes, it's just as intimidating as the Thunderbird.
Scorecard for Thunderbird
Gold M: 73.1/129 456 360 207 575 385 176 440 420 511 3530 346 525 375 202 460 369 171 471 586 3505 7035
Blue M: 70.5/125 436 325 180 505 340 154 410 386 480 3216 336 500 332 175 417 333 147 423 566 3229 6445
White M: 68.6/120 W: 75.8/130 400 305 160 475 325 135 385 365 460 3010 326 470 312 153 387 310 132 403 508 3001 6011
Red W: 69.7/115 325 285 130 378 310 120 375 334 440 2697 316 440 292 108 295 285 117 383 433 2669 5366

Year Built 1966
Fairways Blue grass
Greens Blue grass
Architect Charlie Martin

Golf School Academy Yes - "Spring Lake Golf Club Academy"

Credit Cards Accepted Amex MasterCard Visa card(s) Welcomed
Dress code Collared shirts and Bermuda length shorts are acceptable.

SLOW

I am only writing this to let readers know that this course apparently does not stick to the alloted time slots, or at least it seems that way. We teed off at 2 pm saturday. I assumed teeing off that late would make the round a little bit less crowded. It took 40 minutes to play the first two holes. On three we were behind 4 groups waiting! The "ranger" said it would open up after the fourth hole. It ended up being a 3-1/2 hour front nine. We left. There seems no way they allowed only 5 groups out each hour. It was ridiculous.

Best maintained golf course in the area. Grass driving range. They're NOT on golf now. Go to their website to book online.

Greens pure

Excellent greens. Course has a few too many trees. Need to be cut back. Overhanging too far the 11th hole needs a chainsaw and the back tee box is wayyyy too small it also borders a 1700s graveyard and I picked up a ghost. My single cart became a 2some

Horrible staff

Guys in the pro shop are rude. The one guy tried to tell me I need a different golf glove before I even paid and caught me a little off guard. Then I played the first hole and the same guy who did work there jumped in front of me with a threesome with his buddies on the friggin 2nd hole and I was only with one other guy. Then at the end the guy from inside rushed us off the course at 8 and it doesn't get dark until 830. I don't know why these guys were so rude, I used to like playing here but won't see me or my friends again. Don't suggest going here. The food wasn't very good and the beers were expensive not very friendly environment.

Spring Lake

It would have been cheaper if I booked on the courses web site or even called them. No discount here.

Poor fairway conditions

Fairways were bare. Staff not friendly to golf now patrons. Experienced this before

Worst experience ever.. please do not play here!

Playing golf over 35 years of my life I never had an experience like this. I booked a tee time on golf now for 1 player (me). cart included. i traveled 1 1/2 hrs to get to the course. I Paid my fee and was getting ready to tee off when the starter came to me and wanted me to get out of my cart, (WHICH I PAID FOR and part of the deal with golf now) and move to another cart with some person i do not know. There were many carts available that werent being used. I told him i made the reservation through golf now for 1 person and a cart. At no time when i check in and received my cart did anyone inform me that i would have to share a cart with someone. As i was questioning the starter he went in to get the manager.she came out and demanded i get out of my cart and join the the single in the group who had a cart. She was not very nice. I did explain to her that i saw 4 to 5 others golfers on the course who had their own cart "Why Me". She didnt care just wanted me to switch. Her nasty adititude made me very angry. I then told her i would pay for a full cart fee $17 more. Before i did that, I went to the other single in the group and asked him if he paid for a full cart he said NO!. That made me more upset. I then decided to just ask for my money back which the angry woman graciously gave me back. Waste of gas, waste of time, and waste of my day off. Again i played golf for many years and never have I had an experience like this.. Stay away if you can, not worth your time.. Just a very bad ran course ...

Ted5584078
Commented On 06/18/2018

I feel your pain!

chrisdw
Commented On 09/15/2015

Hey dspano, sorry that happened. They should have handled it much better. Not to defend the course but I will say that I've played as a single a few times at other courses and they've "made" me share a cart with another single or third of threesome. I don't mind the company so not a big deal to me, but I understand that's not what you paid for or wanted and the course should have respected that, especially if they were not low on carts. I'm surprised because the few times I've played at Spring Lake the service has been very good.

Best Golf Course

It's fast & easy to make reservations online, everything set when we got there. We love this course, it's nice & clean.

Good course

Course was in good shape. Green. Not to hard but not to easy. Wasn't busy around 3pm didn't have to wait on any holes. Was in great shape. Had some good holes not to challenging but wasn't easy either. Worth playing

impeccable kept

Played here for the first time, was outstanding. Greens, fairways, and bunkers very well maintained. Would recommend this course to anyone.

Off Day for Course

First off I had a tee time booked for 8:45. They day before I get an email saying my tee time has been moved to 8:22. I thought that was odd. What would have happened if I didn't see the email and came at 8:45. Should have at least gotten a phone call. Right away we get backed up, then by the third hole there are 3 groups waiting. One of the Rangers came by and said that the person who was supposed to open up overslept, so instead of starting at. 6am they started at 7am. Then later comes by around the 13 th hole to tell us to speed up when we were waiting for the group in front of us to tee off every hole. The other customer service issue was the beverage cart came around only once. Eventually tracked the girl down who was hanging under some trees looking at her cell phone. The course itself was in great shape. Nice layout, perfect greens. I might try it again if there was a good deal, but I'm not going out of my way to do so.

Rainy day back-up plan!!

We played this course because we got rained out earlier in the morning further east. Found a deal on golfnow n booked it.. Had no idea what course was going to be like, and me and my buds were pleasantly surprised by what was waiting for us.. A very well maintained golf course!! Nice layout!! Definately coming back soon to play WOLF there!!!

Good round

I have played this course many times in the last 10 years and it's never been in better shape. Only big problem was pace of play. Group in front of us had 3 groups waiting at times. No rangers or staff members were there to help alleviate. Staff for the most part was friendly excepting the stater who was uncommunicative. Food was good and beverage cart was readily available on course. Overall a good round with good value for the money.

GREAT DAY

Course is probably in the best shape I have seen it the greens are very nice but a little slow other than that the pace of play was a little slow still all in all a great day

Don't tee from the blues....and please not from gold

Beautiful course...long enough from the whites. ..group in front was teeing from the gold tips. .. hitting barely up to the reds....Please! !! Chalenging greens and wide fairways....fun

Very nice place to play

I was very impressed with the condition of this course. One of the nicest public courses on Long Island. Pace of play good with the loop in 4 hrs. Staff very friendly. Greens were very tough to read. I will return ti this course. Try if if ya haven't.

Always a challenge, never a disappointment

Although the 4th hole should be a par 5 rather than a par 4, it is the best 9 holes I've played. Always look forward to playing this course

u000006077745
Commented On 02/18/2018

It is a par 5 check yet scorecard

Awesome course

We play here as much as we can. Especially when there's a hot deal. The course and the staff are excellent. Pace of play never an issue. One of my favorite places to play locally

Friendly staff course in good shape

Played the back nine of thunderbird and sandpiper for my round. Course is in good shape with little wear on and around the greens. Staff very friendly and helpful. I will play this course again.

Under appreciated course

My uncle and I played for the 4th time this season. We both shoot in low 80's and use to break into the 70's when in better condition. The course was excellent. We played 3 rounds from Blue making the course 6900 yards. Most par 4's were 400+. Makes a good challenge. One round we paired up with some other guys and played White. Course was shorter but a ton of fun as well from white. Many trees, drives that have to make it down shoots and large beautiful greens

Medford, New York