2.6

Fairways Blue Grass
Greens Blue Grass
Golf Season Opan: 4/01 Closed: 11/15
Architect Dr. Michael Hurdzan (1998) Dana Fry

Dress code Proper golf attire must be worn at all times: shirts with collar; no denim, cut-offs, tank tops, or halter tops will be permitted.

Nice Course, Great Shape for Time of Year

I recently played the championship course at Harbor Links, a course I've played many times before. We had about an hour delay for frost and my only knock from that was that they didn't do shotgun starts to stagger the holes for everyone waiting. I realize it was a weekend and they wanted to see how many they could get out during the day but would have been a nice option for everyone who sat around waiting to tee off in the cold. The course is a challenge and was in great shape for early November. In season, the out of town rates are bit steep for how slowly it plays on weekends but there's not many public courses that are on par with the maintenance done here.

Nice course but play was slow.

The course had some interesting holes, with lots of elevation changes. In particular there were several holes with split fairways allowing you to choose how to approach the greens. The greens were in excellent shape given we played late in the fall.However, there were some drawbacks as well. The starter was not friendly and did not make you feel welcome, which may be part of the "New York attitude" but still, it was offsetting. The range mats were quite worn out and in bad shape. Finally, the pace of play was slow and we basically finished in the dark.

A Solid Option for a Weekend Splurge

Greens fees are expensive for non-residents but the conditions from tee to green are top notch for a public track and maybe slightly below a private club. It's also extremely tough to walk so when you factor in the cart and their complimentary lunch special, its actually a fair deal. The course layout is very interesting with no two holes being the same and extremely fast and undulating greens. Our group had a nice pace given we played on a weekday, but I can see the layout causing some pace issues for weekend crowds, although we did see rangers driving around. Highly recommended for those willing to splurge a bit.

Horrible Staff on a great course

The people who handle the cart setup are some of the worst people I have ever interacted with. I normally don't care about the staff if the course is fun, but I haven't seen people like this at a golf course before. They are just looking for something to get mad at. Not sure if they have some sort of mental problems. They yelled at us for moving the cart a few feet and then yelled at us for going to the tee, even though they told us to. It surprising any course staff would speak to customers that way.

It's really unfortunate because the course is really a great course. The layout is a lot of fun and greens are in great shape. If you are a low handicapper (below 5), you will have a great time if you play the back tees. The course has some really fun tee shots.

If you can somehow sneak past the trolls at the carts and not get yelled at, make sure to play before 10 am. It gets really slow in the afternoon. We saw a hole behind us with 4 groups on the tee..

Perfect Greens

Played there in a Golf Channel Am Tour event and the greens were absolutely perfect. Flat, true and quick.

The rest of the track was well manicured.

This is a fun course. Shotmaking rewarded!

N Y N J Advisor

Top quality challenging course with a memorable layout

This is a follow-up review with pictures added. Harbor Links is a fun course in a nice setting. It has a good number of memorable holes many due to design features such as split fairways with risk-reward options, good fairway movement and elevations, green settings, and holes routed through and around environmental areas. The course elevates up a cliffside and back down so it is not amenable to walking. The greens are very good, fairly large on most holes with ridges and slopes. The course does play too penal on many holes because the rough is so thick that you can see where your ball lands and still not find it when you get to the spot. Miss a fairway by a few yards or be just off the green in the rough and you will have a tough time. They seem to be putting in a first cut on some holes that would help.

Great Layout/Conditions but Overpriced

Considering it’s a Hurdzan/Fry designed course (Erin Hills) the course layout is fun and interesting with lots of elevation changes and undulating greens. The course was a little wet from rain the night before but overall, conditions were very good. I have always kept an eye on this course but hesitated due to high greens fees and reviews of poor pace of play. I finally played this course during an outing which ended up taking 5 hours but it was expected going in. Although the outing fee was slightly cheaper than the standard rate, the price was offset by complimentary breakfast, lunch, beverages and range balls. Although I enjoyed my round, I don’t think I would recommend it for the $100+ greens fee unless money isn’t an issue and you play it on a weekday to avoid a long round.

Staff deployable

Horrible service we show up for our tee time on the minute and they apologize and tell us they sent someone out and went be able to get us out for another hour and a half. Due to the fact we weren't in a hour early to check in. Yet we were in the parking lot 5 mins early debating breakfast. I called made a reservation I wasn't told about this policy and received a confirmation email where I read all the fine print and it wasn't mentioned. For the north shore of long island the service her belongs in the slums of Harlem. Avoid!!!!!!

The worst staff

When paying for round I explained (1 hour before tee time) I had 3 players there and paid, my fourth had an emergency. Man behind counter ran off two golfers attempting to rent clubs and play, asked if they had played golf before and said if you haven’t you shouldn’t play here. My fourth had an emergency couldn’t make it I paid cash 100 for my round and saw an 85.00 cancellation fee on my account this morning. Spoke to Justin business manager explained situation and he said that’s our policy didn’t attempt to compensate me in anyway , so I paid 185 for a 5.5 hour round and a rude staff, staty away from this course , money hungry and rude.

Can't recommend until they fix pace of play

This is a lovely course that's typically maintained in very good condition but I don't recommend it until they do something about the pace of play. I've played twice this year and each time bagged it after the first 9 holes took over 3 hours. I played the course several times late last season and didn't have this problem. They need some combination of moving off 8 minute tee times on weekends, more aggressive marshaling and making sure people play the appropriate tees.

Slow pace of play ruins this place

They seem to have so many employees on staff seemingly doing nothing. Usually 2 starters hanging around on the first tee, and at the same time theres no ranger on the course trying to maintain pace of play.

6 hour death march

Slow paced w blind shots and absurdly thick 1st and 2nd cut of rough. Its not the us open fellas. Its such a great layout w sloping difficult greens no need to Oakmont the course. Its tougher than its slope and rating. Too many blind shots for me. 9Th hole is not a good hole w driving range balls on it. Too close to the range. The 10th is imo an unfair test. Other than 9 and 10 its a fun track. Cut the rough we aren't PGA tour pros here. Price is ridiculous at $115

Commented on 05/28/2018

If you can't handle it i suggest Jones Beach pitch and putt.

Pace of play is awful

I've played harbor links probably 15-20 times, and the pace of play just continues to get worse and worse. They jam everyone in and force you to play with another group if your less than 4 people. The staff there is just a bunch of older guys that love to keep you waiting, especially at the first tee. They like to verify your handicap is below 10, otherwise your not allowed to play the back (Green) tees, even though the slope is only 130 from the back. If you enjoy waiting on every shot, play this course.

N Y N J Advisor

Very well conditioned public course with varied layout, but penal rough

This is a very nice layout, with variety and greens with interesting slope and contours. Several holes have good options off the tees, with split fairways or blind hazards. The course is very difficult to walk given the big elevations on many of the green to tee transitions. The main issue is that the rough is so thick that you could be five feet off the fairway and not find your ball. They should widen the first cut more to increase the fun factor. It can really frustrate and slow the pace of play. I would give 3-1/2 stars. The facilities are nice and the staff very helpful.

6 Hours!!!

That was the pace of play. We had a 12:12 reservation, were pushed back and teed off at 12:25...then we waited all day. We approached the 10th tee at around 3:15 pm and everyone in our group bailed when the foursome ahead of us was waiting on the tee box. The manager on duty offered us ZERO for our troubles. Nothing! We'll return the favor and come back to play ZERO times. Management has to take some responsibility for this. Makes a good case for biting the bullet and joining a private club.

New York Advisor

MGA Play Day

We played in an MGA event and the pace of play was good, did not have to wait but it's still 5 hrs, it's just that kind of course. Conditions were very good. Not sure if it's worth $100 (typical fee) for out of towners.

Expect glacial pace of play

Positives:
- course is in very good shape
- challenging course for all levels

Negatives:
- pace of play is incredibly slow & there are no rangers out there to regulate it
- beverage cart only appeared on the back 9 after we called pro shop to complain
- we were told there are coolers of water on the course, there definitely were not
- overpriced based on level of services

5:00 round with a 8:30 am tee time- enough said

Staff drives around scolding you for hitting out of an environment area but does nothing about group in front of you is a full hole behind pace. Other staff to busy yelling you not to chip around putting green when if they would just post a sign you wouldn't do it!!!!

Having played five other local courses this season so far this was in worst condition of all of them. Greens did not roll (how about a trim once or a while) no water coolers and no beverage cart, for $120 how about some amenities

Poor facilities for $115

The course is great and in good condition but the facilities are poor. Small clubhouse, bathrooms in bad condition and no cart with refreshments. Pace of play is poor with no Marshall's.

Nice course but expensive

Course is unique among public courses in the area. Has a links style feel to it, though not exactly a links course. Not a lot of trees, but I seem to find them on the holes that do have them. Rough is pretty thick and penal, you want to make an effort to stay out of it. There is also a lot of fescue and other types of tall natural grasses that make for a lot of trouble if you are off course (I usually lose more balls here than at other courses). Greens are in good condition but not great, They are a little bumpy, but they are pretty fast. As others have mentioned pace is pretty slow, even when I play a round that seems quicker than normal it is 5 hours, and sometimes longer. Rangers are nice but don't see them doing anything to move the pace of play along.

Overall it is an interesting layout with some split fairways, elevation changes, different grasses, and some easy holes that provide opportunity and others that are very challenging.

I would recommend this course, but if you are not a resident of North Hempstead it is very expensive and probably not worth it. Even for residents it is currently $90 with cart (required on weekends), not a bargain.

Port Washington, New York
North Hills, New York
Sands Point, New York
Manhasset, New York

Valid dates: Apr 01, 2020 - Oct 31, 2020
Bring your game and Make it Grand when you stay on the Stay and Play Golf package. Experience The Brute, a stunning 7,300-yard American classic or The Highlands, a picturesque landscape of scenic hills, trickling creeks and lush foliage.