Type Public/Resort
Lely Resort Golf and Country Club - Flamingo

Year Built 1989
Fairways 419 Bermuda Grass
Greens Champion Ultra Dwarf
Architect Robert Trent Jones, Sr. (1989) Roger Rulewich (1989)

Played with Doc was a good time

Woke up and had slept on my neck wrong, tried to cancel, Golfnow was not having it. So with 3 icy hot pads, ibuprofen and limited mobility I went out to the course. I always arrive over an hour before my round (like to see if the starter can sneak me out) + putt, chip maybe hit a bucket of balls. I get to course and just want to pay so I can put my clubs on a cart and was told No U have to wait I cant book you in yet. So bad neck and back and all I lugged my clubs to chipping area, driving range & putting green before finally being allowed to put my clubs on a cart. Beer lady was rude behind the bar but was super busy.
Now about the golf:
Chip&putt area is very nice includes a bunker as well. But, the way the ball reacts to the practice green (no stick can’t stop it) as opposed to on course is way different.
Balls at the driving range are included which is really cool.
Putting green is just average. I like the holes cut into the greens. It takes literally 5 mins.
Course is beautiful aesthetically pleasing! especially holes 3,4,5,6 and the back stretch thru the woods + 16 & 17
The brims around the greens are in bad shape told mustang is in better condition (excited to play there next)
I got paired up with a starter named Doc and he was awesome. He helped me on where I wanted to place shots as the layout is a bit funky and ignored my duck hook the first 3 holes trying to adjust to my neck & back. Had great conversation you can tell the guy is a really good man. God bless him and his family. I would LOVE to be a member there. But being in season + being a little light in the pocket book doesn’t seem like it would allow for that. Thank you Lely for a great experience. Tell the people in the club house to smile a little I was a bit uncomfortable in the pro shop and honestly would have bought balls & probably a hat or shirt had I not been so turned off by that experience. I know I don’t have a Rolex or pull up in a Bentley like some clientele. coming to a golf paradise like this is a real treat and a blessing that I don’t get to enjoy often.
I think maybe some people in the pro shop lose sight of the fact there are people like me playing the course too. All in all, I had a blast !!!!

Flamingo - Showing its Age

Played Lely Flamingo early 12/28/2019. This is a well designed challenging course but it felt like a public resort course. Tee times are cramped together and David the starter is trying to manage a lot of players going off on both Flamingo and Mustang. The Flamingo course was wet, fairways in only good condition, greens were very good - not real fast. However, Lely is now showing its age and management is not maintaining parts of this facility and it shows. Cart paths are cracked, fences around pond/path areas are falling apart, water station needs an update, etc. There is also a mix of grasses growing in the rough areas and select trees and tree base areas not far off the fairways are not being cleaned up and trimmed. I have photos but you get the idea.

Staff was courteous

Challenging Course

The course is very dry and the greens are in fair condition. It’s a great layout and fun to play.

One of the best

The layout of this course is fantastic. Very challenging. I used every club in my bag. The greens were sandy because the have been dressed but they putted fine. Bunkers could use some more sand but they weren’t bad either.
I understand they are talking about a reconditiiningjod the curse in a couple years. When that happens, there will be none better.

Should be criminal

It should be a crime to allow such an amazing RTJ routing to fall into this state of disrepair. Negligence and/or greed is only compounded by the fact they charge more than $150/round in season and cannot even be bothered to have regular marshals/PAs on the course (5 hours is closer to the norm than 4 here).

Commented on 11/14/2019

Review was actually of Flamingo course not Mustang.

Even members hate to play it

Note: as a member of the Classics CC, this is one of 3 courses I can play under my membership.

It is as disappointing to have to write this review as it was to play the Flamingo for the first time in roughly 6 months. Make no mistake, this RTJ layout is up there with the best course designs you will find anywhere. That’s why it is such a shame that the course conditions have been allowed to deteriorate to the virtually unplayable situation now. Bare patches are about as common as finding your ball on some grass whether in the fairway or around the greens. There’s generally more grass in the rough, except that more of it is weeds than Bermuda. Only a few greens had bare spots today, so that was a positive.

Likely due to playing before 9am, we managed to finish under 4 hours. Closer to 5 is more the norm in season here, so come prepared. In keeping with that norm, our foursome did catch up with a group that began with about a 2-hole head start and waited the entire back 9 on nearly every shot. When we thought we were at last seeing a PA (marshal/ranger) on 17, it was someone changing out a cart that was low on battery life. Amazing as this means someone was monitoring the carts remotely enough to see this issue and there was enough staff for someone to ride out to make the switch, yet no one was available to break up the logjam group(s). For a club that charges upwards of $150/round in season, it can only be negligence or unadulterated greed that allows the players’ experience to be sullied consistently.

Until the general public starts voting with its wallet and playing elsewhere, it is likely the annual lip service devoted to rehabbing this course will continue translating to “wait til next year.” That’s a shame, and it is only compounded by ignoring basic aspects of the customer experience like pace of play as a general rule.

Commented on 11/14/2019

Review was actually of Flamingo course not Mustang.

open en friendly

what a nice course. Water, sand en challenging greens.
The first 9 open and the 2nd more with trees (and houses). We had a good time and will return

Flamingo Experience

Really enjoy the golf course layout and pace of play was great. It was a fun course to play as I am a fan of Robert Trent Jones golf courses. Just wish the greens were faster. But the staff was extremely friendly and helpful and this alone will bring me back.

Halloween Afternoon Round

I liked the layout even if I did end up in more bunkers than I would have liked. For the money I expected a little bit better course conditions. Course was empty so I sailed through the round.

Fairways and general condition were excellent.
Greens were below average.

Excellent pace of play, Not busy.

Walk in green fees for October are extreme.

Wonderful experience!

Staff was great. Very friendly all around. The course (Mustang) was in decent shape. Greens rolled true and fast. Looking forward to playing again!

Very good for the right price

I got. Hot deal. Was very good for the price..staff was very friendly. Greens were very good and the course also good
I do recommend it

Course is in excellent condition. Very long and challenging.

Course is difficult but enjoyable. In great condition. Friendly staff.

9/25 11 AM checked in at the desk and the employee was rude and very unfriendly! The caddy master was excellent !

The receptionist was acting very unfriendly and careless.
The venue is very nice and a shame one person can destroy your reputation

Valid dates: Jan 21, 2020 - Jan 31, 2022
Stay at Solitude Inn on the Green and play one of the best course in SE Michigan, Solitude Links Golf Course. Learn more.