Unlike many other courses in the state, Scenic Hills Country Club sprawls across a scenic landscape of rolling hills. In addition to the dramatic elevation changes throughout the course, the holes are sharply framed by towering pines that line the fairways. The holes play to generous putting surfaces that provide a variety of hole placements, but its best to play to the middle of the greens since there are strategically placed bunkers guarding all of the greens. Water hazards also come into play on six holes, but they require only minimal forced carries. Scenic Hills C.C. opens with what is arguably its most challenging holes. The par-4 hole plays downhill to a green that is not only protected on both the left and right with bunkers, but there is also a steep-faced bunker that is not visible from the fairway.

Scenic Hills Country Club

Year Built 1958
Fairways Tifton 419 Bermuda Grass
Greens Champion Bermuda Grass
Architect Chic Adams (1958) Jerry Pate (1992)

Scenic hills golf course, Pensacola, Fl

Staff very friendly and helpful. Course was in great shape. Would go there again. For you seniors, they have tee boxes for the mature golfers. Recommend it for everyone.

Much Improved

The greens have improved considerably over the past 5 weeks. A bit grown out and slow but rolls good. The rough, especially near the greens, is slightly deeper than the norm for this course which I think offers a more proper golfing reward for accuracy in the approach. Right now the only recurring critical issue with the course is the shape of the bunkers. There is practically no sand whatsoever; they are basically hard pan top soil with a sprinkle of remnant sand from bygone years. Unless properly sanded, these should be considered waste areas rather than bunkers or sand traps.

Aerated greens

The greens must have been aerated and heavily sanded just a day or two ago. It didn't even look like they had run the sprinklers on the greens yet. The greens were also badly roughed up; I'm assuming from the aeration and the fact they hadn't been rolled or watered. We booked the course based on a friend who played last week and said the greens were in excellent shape. There was no aeration notification when we booked on teeoff.com. The clubhouse did give us a return aeration rate for when the greens recover so that helped out. If you play this course shortly after this review then I highly recommend giving yourself a two putt and go; don't bother packing your putter for the round.

Absolutely Gorgeous

Everything about this place is great. Course is in excellent condition, staff was awesome as usual. Thanks for a great outing.

Very Good Course

Thoroughly enjoyed the round of golf at Scenic Hill GC. This was not the first time that I had played the course. The Greens were in GREAT shape; very well manicured and putted well... Fairways are well laid out and, like the greens, are well cared for and set the ball up nicely for the shots from the fairways.

2 golfers, 2 riders

My buddy and I took our wives with us. The management was cool with this... and it couldn’t have been any better!
The course was in full bloom, so the ladies loved it. There was a single golfer behind us with his wife and a youngster.. We caught a foursome at the turn, that had us play through. We saw no other golfers the rest of the way...
Awesome golf course!

Room for Improvement

The greens are running considerably slower than usual. The front 9 greens and fairways condition are 7/10 - some dirt pan in patches of fairways where there is normally good turf and the greens are average condition. The back 9 is in considerably worse condition (5/10) with multiple areas of bare hard ground in the fairways, fairways and rough surrounding several of the greens are unplayable, and several greens are unplayable near the fringes with other bare areas scattered across a few of the greens. Bunkers throughout the course are basically rock hard, a few holding several inches deep of water even though it's been 4 days since the last rain; the sand is practically non-existent in most bunkers. This course has a long way to go if it's going to improve for Summer golf. Scenic Hills was one of the top courses in Pensacola only a couple years ago when the University of West Florida owned it; unfortunately, since the private resident owners acquired the course the condition has continually declined and the prices have been on a slow but steady climb. This course requires a focused commitment to improving the condition or my prediction is it will be only attractive to budget hackers in another one to two seasons.

Not bad, but not special either

Its exciting enough to spend 25 bucks tops. But i have some gripes:

the bunkers are in terrible shape, better off just calling them ground under repair and taking relief, otherwise u will gouge the sole of ur wedge with pebbles and rocks.

The greens are not too bad, but many of them have that upside down bowl design, quite boring.

The amount of houses is also annoying, from a design standpoint. Im just not a fan of golf courses purpose built for real estate gains...

The fairways are above average for the pensacola area though, within this price range.

I would recommend the NAS Pensacola golf course AC read over this any day. Cheaper and a much more interesting layout, sure a few of their greens are not in great shape but its a small price to pay for a really great design, with no houses either.

Scenic Hills

The course is in great shape. All but one green are in great condition.
The staff is great .

Summer is here.

The first really hot day of the season. The course was pretty crowded. Pace of play was a little slow due to a foursome that did not grasp having everyone get ready for their shot. They would just get out of their carts one shot at a time. The course was in pretty good shape. The fairway on 11 was bad off, but most fairways were looking good.

Slow play (5 in a Group ahead of us)

Was looking forward to a midweek day on the course. A 5 party group took off at 12:10. The group behind was having no part of that so they went off the back nine. We waited past our 12:20 tee off time but the 5 were still on the green???? No starter to monitor at tee time. Course was fun though. Wide fairways. Hope you have a quicker say

Bad Interaction

So I guess there was a tournament scheduled for noon and we teed off at 7:33 AM. We were behind a couple groups that were super slow but we were still underneath their mandated for our pace of play. We were actually keeping write up with the group in front of us but the course monitor felt the need to nonstop interact with us And tell us that if we didn’t finish in the next 30 minutes the last four holes then we just wouldn’t be able to play them. I told him that he should go talk to the two groups in front of us because they were the ones slowing it down. He talked to them once but was too timid to continue trying to keep them playing quickly and continue to and tell us that if we didn’t finish in the next 30 minutes the last four holes then we just wouldn’t be able to play them. I told him that he should go talk to the two groups in front of us because they were the one slowing it down. He talked to them once but was too timid to continue trying to keep them playing quickly and continue to fill feel they need to bug us until I told him to stop talking to us and since we were under the four hour time limit and teed off when they allowed us to tee off then we were finishing around until leave us alone. He was a jerk and I called the pro shop about him and they tried to defend him stating that we wouldn’t be able to finish even though they admitted that we were underneath their pace of play time and I told them then they shouldn’t have let us tee off if they knew that we would be running into a tournament. Overall, it was just a very bad interaction. Very unhappy about their level of customer service.

All out professional atmosphere.

Myself and two friends are planning to join Scenic Hills as members in July of this year.

Good course for the money

Played while on vacation. Course conditions were ok for the time of year, although the fairways had been aerated so quite a few plugs were laying about. The holes were nicely laid out, interesting and challenging but not over the top hard to play. Pace of play was ok. This is one of those courses that would be more enjoyable after playing a few times as there are lots of sloping fairways and greens. And be aware there is no restroom on the front nine!

Course is shaping up

Greens on the back nine were about the best I've seen in this area, given the spring conditions. Bermuda on the fairways has not yet taken off here.

Cantonment, Florida