Thistle Golf Club
Par 4 4 4 3 5 4 4 3 5 36 71
Handicap (W) 14 8 10 16 6 12 4 18 2

Year Built 1999
Greens TifEagle Bermuda Grass
Architect Tim Cate (1999)

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in North Carolina (2016 #1) (2015 #9)
  • Golf Advisor: Best of Golf Advisor (2016 #14)
  • Golf Advisor: Top 25 Course Conditions in the U.S. (2016 #6)
  • Golf Advisor: Top 25 Off-course amenities in the U.S. (2016 #14)
  • Golf Advisor: Top 25 Courses for Layout in the U.S. (2016 #11)

A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 14

Good round at thistle

First off, 7:45. Back nine times scheduled u til 9:55, so a 2:20 pace for 9 is pretty much guaranteed! ;(
Course in very good shape, fairways tees and greens all in great shape, but aeration beginning with collars and aprons

Good shape

Course conditions are great right now. Greens rolling true.

Always nice

A very nice course, in good conditions every time. The driving range bag could be a little more generous only about 20balls. Very enjoyable time!

Average course masquerading as a 5 star ciurse

Course was in ok shape, nothing spectacular. In no was is it a 150 dollar course.

Nice course but poorly run

Golf course was in good condition. But no ranger to keep play moving. We waited on every shot and that spoiled the day. Also, our cart brake did not lock and card holder was broken. For the price, we will not be going back.

One of the best courses in NMB

One of the prettiest golf course/ housing developments around. The clubhouse is gorgeous and they have a great bar/ outdoor seating area. The course is definitely challenging and the bunkering and greens are world-class. I would HIGHLY recommend this course for the medium to advanced players. The only knocks I would have is the chipping area is very “rough” and I was surprised you have to buy range balls. For the price they charge, everyone should get a small bag of balls included. It did not match the high end experience of everything else the club has to offer.

Great golf, great castle clubhouse

Live in Wilmington and made trip down here. Payed $56 bucks. Golf staff, especially bag loaders, were extremely nice. Loved the course, great layout and very challenging. We loved it so much we wanted to play the 3rd 9 holes after and their rate is $50 for it?!? That is only complaint.

Really nice

Our group loved the course. Played all 27 holes. Nice layout. Plenty water and bunker challenges. Pace was really good. Starters and rangers were friendly. A lil bit over priced thoigh.

I Really Liked This Course.

Interesting layout for all three nines and even though I played in the winter, the overseeing made the fairways plush. Great practice facilities and the staff are all very attentive and accommodating. Best course I have played in the area. Don't miss it.

Would have been great if not for one very rude staff member

I played 18 holes here today, 3/11/19 while on my honeymoon. First of all the facilities and course were fantastic, it can be challenging from the tips but if you play smart there are plenty of birdie opportunities. Almost everyone I met was very polite and helpful. Now for why I'm giving a one star rating, I checked in and walked back outside to get a cart, the guys at the cart stand were very friendly, I had paid for a bag of driving range balls to warm up before my round and they directed me to park the cart in the parking spaces behind the driving range, my wife drove the cart to the paved parking spaces behind the range and began reading a book, I walked to a spot at the range and began hitting balls. Mid way through my backswing an older African American man who was also hitting balls on the range loudly told me I needed to move my cart as I was not allowed to park there. I informed him that I was directed to park there by the staff. He then began shouting at me in front of everyone at the range that he worked there and the staff work for him. I told him I would move the cart when I was done hitting range balls. He shouted at me again and told me to move the cart, I told him I only had 12 range balls left and will move it when I'm done with them. He left for a couple minutes I presume to talk to someone about me. When he came back he didn't say anything to me but was loudly telling the person next to him how rude I was and that you "can't make this stuff up". I have been playing golf for 19 years and have never been so disappointed at the behavior of a staff member as I was today. Unfortunately I don't think I'll be coming back as long as he is working at The Thistle.

Would have been a great round if not for a very rude staff member

A spectacular layout

What a great course, conditions were a little wet but the course was awesome, a little tough so pick the right tees, play this course if you get a chance

Philly Advisor

no pushover

This 27-hold layout has some breather holes but overall it is a legitimate challenge. Water is nearly everywhere but only is it put in your face on a few holes. Mostly you can manage it. Greens were super fast and it was only early spring. Contours on greens combined with speeds created some interesting situations. I was fortunate to have been able to play all 27 holes.

Great Layout but VERY Wet

It’s been very wet in Myrtle lately, so it was cart path only, and mud balls were the norm today. Course was playable, but due to rain most holes were cut on crowns to ensure they stayed dry. This made for, let me call it an interesting day with the putter.

Now if I take the wetness away, the layout is amazing. Some really pretty holes. Most greens were in great shape, fairways though wet, were green & healthy. Teeblocks were also in great shape. I’d love to play here again after the course dries out. They have a practice range, which looked good, but was closed due to wetness.

Staff was very friendly. Only issue we really had was at the turn we went in to get sandwiches, and this took a bit of time, as they had to make them as we waited (however they were worth the wait). Bag guys, starter were all amazing. Beer cart girl was around a few times, but looked disinterested as she looked cold.

I paired up with some guys who have a townhouse in North Myrtle, and they say Thistle is one of their favourite courses in the area. I know, if the weather improves, I’ll give Thistle another go.

Calabash, North Carolina

Valid dates: Jun 21, 2019 - Dec 31, 2019
Sign up for a 2 or 3 Day Golf School and receive accommodations in a villa for the duration of your stay.
Keystone Resort Stay, Play and Save
June Special at Shenvalee
Fling and Swing!
Sewailo Golf Club Stay & Play Hotel Package
1815 Olde Thistle Club Rd, Sunset Beach, North Carolina 28468, Brunswick County
(910) 444-2500
Latest Articles
Articles
Golf tournament pro-ams: a primer
Articles
The days I fell in love with golf (a Cool Golf Memory)
Articles
What does the golf course of the future look like?