Thistle Golf Club - Cameron Course

Par 4 4 4 3 5 4 4 3 5 36 71
Handicap (W) 14 8 10 16 6 12 4 18 2

Year Built 1999
Greens TifEagle Bermuda Grass
Architect Tim Cate (1999)

• Golf Advisor: Top 25 Courses for Layout in the U.S. (2016 #11)
  • Golf Advisor: Top Courses in North Carolina (2016 #1) (2015 #9)
  • Golf Advisor: Best of Golf Advisor (2016 #14)
  • Golf Advisor: Top 25 Course Conditions in the U.S. (2016 #6)
  • Golf Advisor: Top 25 Off-course amenities in the U.S. (2016 #14)

A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 14

Florida golfer playing at Thistle

First time playing at Thistle. Played Cameron and Stewart. Both were great layouts. Lots of memorable tee shots. Both courses had plenty of water and sand and required pretty accurate tee shots. Fairways. Tee boxes and greens were in great condition. I will play again when in the area.

Response from Thistle Golf Club on 09/04/2018:
Hi, Jakeb. Thank you for your 5-star rating! We're so glad you enjoyed the layouts. Please book another round with us soon.

Pretty

Very good track. No tricks what you see is what you get.

Response from Thistle Golf Club on 09/04/2018:
Hello, Mackley. We appreciate your 4-star rating and review, and we hope you join us for another round soon.

Hot and humid in Carolina

Course was not real crowded due to the hot, humid day, so we moved around at a decent pace. Only hiccup was we came up on a 5 some of ladies, but were quickly waved through. Tees were a bit worn , but fairways and greens were in excellent shape. Good layout, with a mix of easier and more difficult holes. Would suggest at the prices they charge , range balls ought to be complimentary. Charging $5 for 25 range balls is a gouge.

Response from Thistle Golf Club on 09/04/2018:
Hello. We appreciate your 4-star rating and review. We're so glad you enjoyed the course, and we hope you join us for another round soon.

Very nice course

We played at 1:00. There were a lot of golfers coming in but the staff was very organized and we got off on time. . The pace of play was fine . The course was in excellent shape and fun to play. Would definitely go back there. A little creepy having cameras in the bathroom right over the toilet

Response from Thistle Golf Club on 09/04/2018:
Hello, and thank you for your 5-star rating! We're so glad you enjoyed the course. Please book another round with us soon.

AWESOME !

I have played many courses at the beach over the last 20 years. I have found my favorite. Everything about the Thistle is 1st class. from the time I arrived to I left it was incredible. The staff, the course, the restaurant/bar was the best. I don't know why I waited so long to play this course. I will be back Labor day weekend and I will be playing the Thistle.

Response from Thistle Golf Club on 08/22/2018:
Hello. Thank you for your 5-star rating! We are so glad you enjoyed your round, and we'll see you on Labor Day! Thanks for choosing Thistle Golf Club.

great layout,beautiful but short course

We played the Cameron and Stewart courses. The course is in great shape with beautiful fast greens running around 11. Amazingly dry given the last couple of weeks of rain. The front 9 Cameron was great with great pace of play. On the turn we find ourselves as part of 4 groups on the fist hole of Stewart. One flight on green next, a 3some on tee in their late 20s, 3 much older gentlemen around my age waiting then us, ie myself and my in-laws 82 and 78 of age. The problem was the young guns thot they should drive to the green at 317yds and waited till the first group walked off the green. They ended up driving between 240 and 275 yds. The ranger drove by and i wave for him to stop. Before i could say anything the 3 older guys jumped in and said everything is fine followed by a quick chat between themselves as they know the ranger being regulars at the course.All 3 took their time teeing off. we ended up waiting a good 25 minutes before we could tee off. That is totally unacceptable. We ended up waiting 3-10 mins before each shot given the 3 old slow deer in front. The young guns caught up with the group in front of them hence the gap opening up in front of the 3 slow old slow deer. Look i am 61 playing with my in laws both older than the 3 old slow deer. I got to talk to the ranger again but he made no attempt to move the speed up given that he knew them well. I was told everything was playing at the right pace which was not right given that they were then 1 stoke n 2 putts behind the young guns. Yes we were all riding and not walking. We waited on every shot 3-5 mins. Every hole after we putted out we drove to the next tee only to have to wait 3-5 mins again since they continue their slow play and still teeing off at the tee box. On the par 5 we saw the gun guns walking off the green but only to find ourselves waiting for these 3 guys to tee off. For a course that prides themselves and hold themselves to a higher standard and refusing to acknowledge slow play of their regulars, Its totally unacceptable after all it cost about $90, including fees per person. It is sad for such a well maintained course

Response from Thistle Golf Club on 08/22/2018:
Hello. We are sorry to see that your overall experience was anything short of 5 stars. We appreciate your feedback, and we will share it with the necessary staff. We hope you'll give us another try in the near future. Thanks for choosing Thistle Golf Club.

Perfection

I created this profile just to add a review to the course. Your experience starts on the drive in to a beautiful clubhouse, running through a few of the holes on the Cameron 9. The greens were hands down the best greens I have seen in the myrtle beach area. We played the Cameron and Mackay courses and were in awe of the beauty and wildlife the entire time. It was cart path only, which we knew with the rain this week all courses would be, and it didn't take away from the experience one bit. This is a must play again course,

Response from Thistle Golf Club on 08/13/2018:
Hello, and thank you for your 5-star rating! We're so glad to hear how much you enjoyed the course, the scenery and the club house. Please book another round with us soon. Thanks for playing Thistle Golf Club!

Course was in outstanding condition, greens were perfect!

Response from Thistle Golf Club on 08/08/2018:
Hello. Thank you for your 5-star rating! Please book another round with us soon.
Thistle Golf Club - Stewart Course
Commented On 08/08/2018

Top shelf

Great course, a few greens have problems , remainder in great condition. First off, best the turn, 2 hour round

Response from Thistle Golf Club on 05/14/2018:
Hello, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We appreciate your feedback about your round and hope to see you again for another round soon! Thanks for playing Thistle Golf Club.

A Wonderday Day Overall

We played the Stewart to Mackay nines and overall the facility is in very nice condition. There was evidence of lost surfaces in most greens which had liekly suffered from the harsh winter.

Response from Thistle Golf Club on 05/01/2018:
Hello, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We appreciate your feedback about your round and apologize the conditions of the greens weren't up to your expectations. The harsh winter temperatures caused a lot of stress on the majority of the greens in the Myrtle Beach area. They are slowly returning to the pristine conditions we are accustomed to as the warmer weather approaches. In the mean time, we are trying to do all we can to keep the surface smooth and puttable. We hope you consider giving us another shot in the future. Thanks for playing Thistle Golf Club!
Response from Thistle Golf Club on 05/02/2018:
Hello, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We appreciate your feedback about your round and are happy to hear you enjoyed it. We hope to see you again for another round soon. Thanks for playing Thistle Golf Club!

Greens are Gone

Played this course last December 2017 and it was in great shape. Played it on April 20, 2018 and was very disappointed to find most greens unplayable. I played the Cameron and Stewart 9s. Imagine putting on a surface that looks like flaking old paint or on mud surface that has hardened and cracked. These greens guarantee that your ball will bounce and veer off course with every putt. Given the high price you pay to play here, it’s not worth playing until the greens come back, which as of this review, I would say it looks doubtful. Before you play here, you need to call and ask about the health of the Greens. Not worth $40 let alone the $159 rack rate if the greens are not good condition. Right now, the worst aerration job can’t match the poor condition of these greens. Also note that if you want to buy something in the pro shop and you have a 2 pm tee time, buy it before your round because the pro shop was closed by 6 pm. The bar has last call at 6:30 pm, which must play real well w/ the golf trip groups. When we were there, there were four such groups there who needed to find another watering hole. Love the course, but the greens need to come back before they get my money again.

Response from Thistle Golf Club on 04/23/2018:
Hello, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We appreciate your feedback about your round and apologize your experience with us wasn't up to your expectations. The harsh winter temperatures caused a lot of stress on the majority of the greens in the Myrtle Beach area. Our greens are slowly returning to the pristine condition we are accustomed to as the warmer weather approaches. In the meantime, we are trying to do all that we can to keep the surface smooth and puttable. We hope this doesn't deter you from returning for another round soon. Thanks for playing Thistle Golf Club!

Tough winter....

Beautiful track but the winter hit this place hard and most greens had pretty severe winter kill.

The staff and the overall beauty of the place made the day a positive one,

Response from Thistle Golf Club on 04/20/2018:
Hi DavMar, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We appreciate your feedback about our staff and are happy to hear you enjoyed your round with us. We hope to see you again soon! Thanks for playing #ThistleGolfClub.

Great course as usual. Fairways and tee boxes in good shape but greens were not. Some had been aerated but they looked to be in terrible shape. Not sure what has happened but when you pay $100 you expect a lot. Overall, Thistle is a great track, just may be a while before I come back.

Response from Thistle Golf Club on 04/17/2018:
Hi Damian7372297, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We appreciate your feedback about your round and are happy to hear you enjoyed it. We apologize that the greens weren't up to you expectations, and hope this doesn't deter you from returning for another round soon. Thanks for playing Thistle Golf Club.

BEWARE ---"THISTLE RAIN CHECK POLICY".

BEWARE ---"THISTLE RAIN CHECK POLICY".

My group was scheduled to play March 11, 2017, but due to Snow, Sleet, and Wind they closed the course. We were issued 31 Rain Checks for this event. This year we were scheduled on Monday, March 12th, with 25 Rain Checks (6 could not make it this year), and the forecast for the day was a 100% chance of Rain. When I arrived at the course asked Bill working the counter what was their Rain Check Policy. I was told 5 holes or less you’ll get 18 holes. If it was 6 to 12 holes you would get 9 holes. Anything over 12 holes would be nothing, which many would consider fair. The lead groups only got to the 4th hole, and we all returned to the Club House, due to 25+ mile an hour winds and heavy rain. When I asked for 25 new Rain Checks, we were informed they wouldn't issue a new Rain Check on a Rain Check. I was told we had a year to use them, which would have been fine if we lived in the area. However, this was an annual golf trip where everyone lives at least 11 hours away.

After discussing to several Pro's and General Managers at our other courses for the trip, they felt this policy was unfair in this instance.

They at minimum issued the old rain check, which would expire by the end of the week. They stated we could come back between 4:00 and 5:00 PM for the remainder of the week and they would ATTEMPT to get us out on the course. I informed them that would be extremely difficult and/or impossible for the entire group, because:

1. Having all afternoon Tee Times of 12:30 to 1:15 at other courses, plus travel time.

2. Mostly Seniors between 62 to 75 years old.

3. Night encroaching around 7:00PM, and with their estimate time getting out, only gives 2-3 hours to play 18 holes.

Six guys managed to rush around and barely get 9 holes in before night fell.

At $82.00 X 25 =$2050.00 not a bad RIP OFF on mostly SENIORS.

BOTTOM LINE IS WE DIDN'T GET WHAT WE PAID FOR.

Can't comment on Course never got to play it.

Response from Thistle Golf Club on 05/08/2018:
Hi hammy380, thanks for taking the time to leave us your feedback. We apologize to hear that your experience with us wasn't up to your expectations. We tried our best to accommodate your group as best we could, but unfortunately we do not issue rain checks for rain checks. If you'd like to speak directly to our General Manager regarding your experience, please feel free to email him directly at doug.donner@internationalclubgolf.com.

Great 27 hole complex

Played 36 holes on first day of Myrtle Beach golf vacation. Had played Sea Trail the day before and was deeply disappointed, so we were leary of conditions of other courses. We were very impressed with staff upon arrival, who assured us that the day would be much better than at Sea Trail. Were they ever right! Course was in excellent condition, despite the cool windy conditions, and the end of the winter season. Played all 3 nines, with the Stewart 9 being our favourite. Great layout with challenging holes. No gimmicky holes, which was great for this being the first time playing these courses. We were able to book a replay on the morning of our first round. Staff were very friendly and helpful, and clubhouse was beautiful, with good food at reasonable prices. Will make this a regular stop on our early spring golf trips.

Response from Thistle Golf Club on 08/13/2018:
Hello. Thank you for your 5-star rating! Book another round with us soon.

That best course course we have played in Soth Carolina na so far great place to play!

Response from Thistle Golf Club on 02/28/2018:
Thanks for your 5 star review! Glad Thistle Golf Club delivered a fun day of golf for you!

Greens fairways bunkers starter Roger was excellent

Very nice coarse pc green and range. I was told when I walked in the “Golf Now Guy” is here like I was a outsider. Next a Pro comes out said, “you were told of a shotgun start at 11:30 so you must play the same 9 both times.” Well no one let me know and my tee time was for 1:10. I simply paid the $5 for my range balls and left as I could see this Pro was making no provision to this “Golf Now Guy”!

I was a Pro myself once at a extra exclusive Country Club and I don’t understand this treatment at all.

Another great course in southern NC

Read the reviews and knew we needed to play it! Met all our expectations and played with a great twosome that made it even more enjoyable . Would like to play it again!

Response from Thistle Golf Club on 11/30/2017:
Thank you for the 5* review! We are glad to hear we met all of your expectations and hope to see you next time you are in town!
Response from Thistle Golf Club on 11/29/2017:
Thank you for the 5* review!

Valid dates: Oct 19, 2018 - Dec 20, 2018