Kelly Plantation

GPS: Yes

Golf school / academy: Yes - "Strano Golf Academy"

Credit cards accepted: MasterCard, Visa, American Express, Discover

Couples 72 7099 yards 74.6 137
Plantation 72 6453 yards 71.6 128
Combination P/P 72 6134 yards 70.1 123
Palmetto 72 5904 yards 69.1 121
Combination P/S 72 5664 yards 68.0 119
Sterling 72 5436 yards 66.9 117
Mangolia 72 4989 yards 65.0 112

Formerly home to a turpentine plantation, the site now offers one of the most environmentally sensitive courses in northwest Florida, Kelly Plantation. The golf course sits along the shores of the Choctawhatchee Bay, sprawling across a waterfront landscape of towering trees and swampy bayous. The course features large, contoured greens and wide, manicured fairways that are in excellent condition but can also be tricky to navigate. The strategically placed hazards also require some careful maneuvering. In addition to being a challenging round, the golf course is also known for its stunning scenic appeal. Throughout the layout, golfers can enjoy panoramic views across the bay to the abundant magnolias and palmettos that are native to Florida's northwest region. For these reasons, Kelly Plantation has received high praise from publications such as Golf Digest and Golf Magazine.

Location is convenient to the city near local attractions worth the drive   Great for advanced golfers a weekend splurge wildlife/ scenic views   Challenges include bunkers water hazards undulating greens   Great for drinks 19th hole scenic views dinner

"One of my new favorites"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/20/2018
First time playing Used cart Hot weather

Nice layout, range, staff. Greens were pretty good, course in good shape overall. I tend to play at the private clubs in the area and found Kelly Plantation to be the best public course in the area. $145 was a bit overpriced, but...location location location, right?

Ajr1210's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/20/2018

"Very nice course"

golfingtraveler's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/17/2018

There are a lot of courses around the Destin area and I have now played all of them and Kelly Plantation is among the best. This was my first time at this course but I know I'll return again and again. This was a great experience. Each member of the staff was friendly and helpful and made us feel at ease. The golf course is a wonderful and scenic layout with surprisingly wide fairways. There are five teeing areas so you can have a choice that fits your skill/comfort level. The course was in great shape and made for a very pleasant afternoon of golf.

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/17/2018

Excellent staff welcoming friendly knowledgeable. We'll be back.

Also enjoyed visiting with helpful friendly bartender Jason

Commented on 05/20/2018

I could not be happier than to see the first sentence written was "Excellent Staff". It is the people here that really stand out. The course is always in fantastic condition. The Turf care department are the ones that deserve the praise. I am very proud to present such a great golf club and to get to meet all the wonderful people that play here. I will pass along the well wishes to Jason. He truly is a special person and will enjoy hearing the kind words. Please visit us again soon.

"Excellent Course!"

footmans's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/05/2018

Well designed for high risk/high reward players. Challenging, yet fun to play. Fairways were a little fast. However, greens were in good shape. Cold Apples on the 10 hole were a plus!

Commented on 05/22/2018

Thank you for the EXCELLENT review. Turf Care tries to keep the fairways perfectly manicured and always lush. We find that most golfers like a balance between a ball that sits up in the fairway and having a fairway run out to acquire more distance. It can be challenging but it sounds like we have done just that. I enjoy hearing that you had fun while playing here and we welcome you back very soon to play Kelly Plantation Golf Club.

"Extremely Fair"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/05/2018

2nd time I played the course, the first time about seven years ago. Beautiful layout, wide variety of holes, challenging but fair. Even though carts had GPS, my rangefinder had a difference of 5 to 9 yards on a number of holes. I thought that was unusual. Would play again, but not a full published price.

Commented on 05/15/2018

Thank you for returning to play Kelly Plantation Golf Club. Your review was very kind and appreciated. The G.P.S. are touch screen and have some slight variations for yardages as you spoke of. They have a tolerance of plus or minus 3 yards so I will look into why yours was off more than that. Please come back and see us soon for your 3rd round at Kelly Plantation Golf Club. We would enjoy having you.

"First time to play here."

jdjohnsoncrna's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/04/2018

Great condition. Fast greens. Very tight fairways. Enjoyed the round as far as the course. The starter paired the 2 of us with a single and was a great match. However, we were started 8 minutes before our scheduled tee time and starting on the first tee box, we were waiting on the group ahead of us to hit 2nd shots. By the third hole we were waiting at the tee box for the foursome in front of us to tee off who waiting on the foursome in front of them to hit their second shots. Before we feed off on 3 there was a group behind us waiting at the same tee box for us to tee off. This continues throughout the entire round. Turned in to a 5 hour round and all of the sitting and waiting took the enjoyment out of it for us.

Commented on 05/06/2018

Thank you for the kind words in reviewing the golf course. We certainly recognized the pace of play was much slower than we would like to see which certainly impacts the enjoyment of a golf round. Myself, and the assistant golf professional along with a Pace of Play host was on the course all day to help insure that pace of play was 4 hours and 15 minutes, which didn't happen. Once a group falls behind with 240 players on the course it is certainly hard to recover the time lost. We tried speeding up play by raking bunkers and tending flags for the slower groups. Our efforts were put forth to keep pace moving which certainly was slow. Thank you again for taking time to tell us about your fun day, not withstanding pace of play. Please come back and visit us soon. The days of 240 players on the course happen maybe 5 times a year often in April and the first week of May so I can be confident that pace of play is really never an issue other than these times of year. See you soon and thank you again.

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/04/2018

Commented on 05/06/2018

Thank you for the review. Pace of play is very important to us. The day you played we had 240 players on the course so pace of play was much slower than we would like. I really am appreciative that you chose to play here and welcome you back soon. Thank you again.

uCBQW1698CB's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/19/2018
Previously played Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

Course was a little wet but the fairways were great.

The greens rolled true and were somewhat fast but overall they were great to play on.The sand in the bunkers was firm and you could hit good shots out of them The course is fun to play and has them really nice views.If you play there you will enjoy it.

Commented on 04/30/2018

Thank you for taking time to let us know about your experience. We certainly enjoy seeing that you felt the course lived up to our reputation in having great conditions with a winning attitude from our staff. Please come back and visit us again and thank you for recommending the course to others.

cdwayne's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/09/2018

Commented on 04/12/2018

Thank you for the "Good" review. We fell short of the 5-stars we were looking for. Please come back and visit us soon so we can showcase the course in a 5 star way!!!

Steven3945820's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/03/2018

Commented on 04/05/2018

THANK YOU FOR THE 5-STAR RATING. WE ARE HAPPY TO SEE WE ARE HOLDING UP TO OUR REPUTATION.

"Bad day on the course"

brawnb's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/02/2018

We were a foursome. The starter told us we could go 10 minutes early, on time or up to 20 minutes late because it was a light day and the course would be open behind us. We chose to hit a few practice balls and go on time.

As we were leaving the tee area a twosome came to the tee behind us. By the second hole they were pushing us. On the 3rd tee we let them play through.

By the time we reached the 3rd green there was another twosome behind us pushing us.

In the 4th fairway a ranger came out and yelled at us for being behind and holding up the course.

On the 5th tee we let yet another twosome play through. On the 7th tee we let another twosome play through.At the turn we spoke with the starter and explained there was no way a foursome could stay ahead of twosomes and we were not enjoying the situation forced upon us. He told us to ignore the warnings and enjoy our round.

on the 11th tee we let another twosome play through.

Again on the 15th tee another twosome.

On the 18th hole as we were finishing up another twosome was coming behind us.

A very frustrating day on a poorly managed golf course!

Commented on 04/05/2018

Let me start off by saying thank you for taking time to let us know about your experience. Protocol for two-somes is to pair them up when possible. The challenge we run into on slower days is that's two-somes may be several tee times apart so pairing them up just doesn't happen. As you know two-somes tend to play faster than foursomes and can run up on them fairly quickly. I can certainly tell you that your situation should of been met with kindness and it sounds like you didn't feel this is what happened. Our main concern is making sure each golfer that chooses to spend their hard earned money here is treated with nothing but genuine courtesy. I am happy to see you still gave us a 5 STAR review in light of the experience with our pace of play host. Please let us have another chance at showing you our full potential in guest relations. My name is Ashton Crowe and I am the HEAD P.G.A. GOLF PROFESSIONAL here. I would enjoy meeting you in person and thanking you for your insight.

smashfactor's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/01/2018

Commented on 04/03/2018

Thank you for the recognition in the 5 STAR rating. It is always a pleasure to see that we are seen as providing top notch service on a well maintained golf course. Thank you again and come visit us soon.

tjdemski's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/28/2018

Even though the greens had been sanded they were in great shape. Very quick, very resceptive to high shots into the green. Very well designed and cared for golf course. Will play it again.

Commented on 03/30/2018

The greens are well maintained through making sure we do the necessary maintenance that they require. I am glad you recognize this as a positive thing and not a negative one. Sanding the greens (Top Dressing) insures a smoother roll and keeps the speed up to where our guest/members like it. We are glad you enjoyed a day of golf with us. Please come back and visit us soon. We will be excited to host another great day of golf at Kelly Plantation Golf Club.

"Overall, the course layout was as expected."

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/25/2018

Upon entering the faculty, my wife and son were excited about playing the course. However, we were greeted by the rudest person that checked us in. I asked a simple question about receiving a junior rate for my 13 year old and the man responded that I should have called them directly and not booked through Golf Nowa and he would not give my son a Jr rate. Ended up paying the rate for my son. I visit Destin often, but I will never play this course again due to the attitude I received from the first person I spoke to at the course.

Commented on 03/27/2018

Staff friendliness is one of our upmost attributes. I apologize that you didn't feel you received a courteous response to your question. When you book a HOT DEAL through GolfNow you are actually paying them directly so we don't receive the monies for that tee time. In response to why we couldn't give you the junior rate this is why. You had booked a HOT DEAL so the money was received from GolfNow and not Kelly Plantation so there was no way to return monies to you for the difference you paid. I can see how this could be perceived as being rude and I certainly want to clear that up as best as possible. We try and make every guest feel welcomed and accommodate our guest request to our best ability. I hope you choose to play here again as we would like the opportunity to make you feel more welcomed. Having a guest not being treated to what they feel is welcoming is not something to be repeated. Thank you for the response.

wilsojo's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/25/2018

Commented on 03/27/2018

Thank you so much for the 5-star rating. We certainly want you to enjoy yourself while you are here. It is nice to see you did just that. Please visit us again soon.

"Will Play Again"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/22/2018
First time playing Used cart

Took my son to go play golf for the first time at Kelly Plantation. We are average golfers and this course was by far the best course we have played thus far in our short playing career. We were very impressed with the facilities and the staff. They were all top notch. We will play again when we are back in Destin for our vacation in the future.

Commented on 03/26/2018

Father and son outings are so special. We are happy to hear we were a part of your great day. Thank you for the kind review and noticing that the golf course was in fantastic shape and that the staff was "Top Notch". It is certainly something we pride ourselves in, both outstanding course conditions and a truly caring staff. Please come back and visit us soon, we would enjoy seeing you both again.

barryernst's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/20/2018

Commented on 03/22/2018

THANK YOU FOR THE FIVE STAR REVIEW ***** COME BACK AND VISIT US SOON. WE WOULD ENJOY HAVING YOU!!!

"Best Greens Anywhere"

eastdallascc's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/17/2018

I would put these greens up

Against anything I have ever played. Fast and very true. Ball would land and roll forward

a little to a lot even on well struck shots. So much more fun than playing soaked and rootless

Bent greens.

Entire staff was first class. Highly recommend

Commented on 03/20/2018

"First Class Staff" and "Fast and True" Greens. That is a winning combination. We are glad you felt that way while visiting us. We try and make every experience for our guest and members an enjoyable and memorable one. Thank you for the kind review. We look forward to another round with your group. Come back and see us soon.

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/13/2018

Commented on 03/20/2018

Thank you for the 5-STAR review. It doesn't get any better than that. We look forward to your safe return to Kelly Plantation Golf Club.