San Juan Oaks Golf Club

Northern California's San Juan Oaks Golf Club is located halfway between the Silicon Valley and Monterey Peninsula off Highway 101 near the historic town of San Juan Bautista in Hollister. Opened in 1996, the 18-hole golf course is Fred Couples' first signature design in California and features five sets of tees for varying skill levels. It's also home to "Club Boom Boom," a popular junior teaching program. On top of the golf course, San Juan Oaks is known especially for its elaborate facilities including banquet rooms and patios for group outings, as well as driving range and practice greens.
San Juan Oaks Golf Club
Scorecard for San Juan Oaks 1
Black M: 74.6/141 377 578 359 431 425 204 407 179 513 3473 423 543 182 462 397 539 166 487 461 3660 7133
Blue M: 72.9/136 W: 78.8/141 358 538 353 403 357 186 380 169 489 3233 414 536 161 440 378 523 142 446 439 3479 6712
White M: 71.2/130 W: 76.9/135 347 530 337 392 328 169 362 148 474 3087 381 504 146 411 365 501 108 425 414 3255 6342
Gold M: 68.6/125 W: 74.1/134 304 476 311 355 296 143 348 130 410 2773 350 476 130 383 335 476 91 392 379 3012 5785
Red M: 64.0/116 W: 69.2/119 273 415 213 304 269 116 292 114 375 2371 274 392 110 346 295 263 77 326 316 2399 4770

Year Built 1996
Fairways Blue Grass
Greens Blue Grass

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in California (2016 #13) (2015 #15)
  • Golf Advisor: Top 25 Courses for Pace of Play in the U.S. (2016 #23)

Perfect Weather To Play Course

Played when the afternoon wind was rather mild versus the raging wind often times get. The course is still difficult and punishes the bad errant shot as it should vs typical muni. Fairways were somewhat moist with no rain so some over watering, greens were slower than we were used to perhaps needed rolling but overall experience very good.

Very nice course!

San Juan Oaks is an excellent golf course. The back nine is more difficult than the front but it is a beautiful course nestled in the foothills between San Juan Bautista and Hollister. Staff was very friendly and the greens were in great shape. We played after noon and got a good rate of $54.

Response from San Juan Oaks Golf Club on 10/15/2018:
Hello pjelleff, thank you for the four-star review. We are glad you enjoyed our course conditions and had a great experience. Thank you for playing San Juan Oaks Golf Club and we hope to see you again soon!

Slow play due to Tournament

Nice course great condition except random large patches of damaged fairways caused by wild boar digging for food. Very friendly and helpful staff. Unfortunately I played behind the dreaded tournament so it was waiting at every hole to tee off, very single hole, all 18 holes!

Response from San Juan Oaks Golf Club on 10/15/2018:
Hello sfctadc, thank you for the four-star review. We are glad you enjoyed our course and we appreciate your feedback on the pace of play. We escalated your feedback to the appropriate departments. Thank you for visiting San Juan Oaks Golf Club and we hope to see you again soon!

San Juan Oaks review

This was my second time playing San Juan Oaks in Hollister, CA and I was again enchanted by the course layout, condition, amenities and overall experience. The range of tee positions is perfect for abilities of a weekend player to a pro. I'm already scheduled to play it twice more in the next 8 days.

Response from San Juan Oaks Golf Club on 10/10/2018:
Hello LSpieller, thank you for the five-star review. We are glad you had an excellent experience at San Juan Oaks Golf Club. Thank you for visiting us and we look forward to seeing you again!

Sour ending

No complaints about course or conditions, could use more sand in traps. Greens a little bumpy, but might be attributed to amount of play. Upon reaching end of 15th hole, approaching 16th,the cart started stalling. At the mid-point of 16th hole, cart went from bad to worse. We made phone call to clubhouse,were told nothing he could do, we were headed to a downhill part of course, and that he could do nothing cause he was alone at the time. I asked for some type of rain check, nothing that we were near the end of round ,no, no rain check was available. We walked last couple holes into our transportation. So, in short, me being a senior, with a bad case of shoulder imflamation, I had to tough it out. Just glad it didn’t occur in the beginning of our round. I really enjoy playing your course. I’m disappointed your check-in person had no options for me or my cart partner. Granted, I needed the excercise, but, if I’m gonna walk a course I take a hand cart. I’m a little too lazy to carry my bag at this stage in my life. Thanks

Response from San Juan Oaks Golf Club on 10/04/2018:
Hello uHNIW3338HN, thank you for the four-star review. We are glad you enjoyed our course and we are very sorry about the cart. We appreciate your feedback and escalated it to the appropriate departments. Thank you for visiting San Juan Oaks Golf Club and we hope you have a better experience on your next visit.

Fall from grace

I understand there are some things this golf course can’t control. This course always has strong winds during the afternoon which makes playing unpleasant and difficult. However, there are things that they can control but I believe they’ve neglected this course. The greens are bumpy. The areas around the green are mush, slop and chunks of grass make it difficult to chip. The cart paths are fractured. Little kids who have no idea how to play are taking forever on the course with no marshal to control pace of play. Such a shame.

Response from San Juan Oaks Golf Club on 10/01/2018:
Hello Bigkahuna888, thank you for taking the time to write a review of our course. We are sorry to hear that you had a sub par experience and we appreciate your feedback on the course conditions, cart path, and the pace of play. We escalated your feedback to the appropriate departments. Thank you for visiting San Juan Oaks Golf Club and we hope to earn your business again.
Response from San Juan Oaks Golf Club on 09/27/2018:
Hello hsmahew, thank you for the five-star review. We are glad you had an excellent experience at San Juan Oaks Golf Club. Thank you for visiting us and we hope to see you again soon!
Response from San Juan Oaks Golf Club on 09/27/2018:
Hello dennisfaz, thank you for the five-star rating. We are glad you had an excellent experience at San Juan Oaks Golf Club. Thank you for visiting us and we hope to see you again soon!
Response from San Juan Oaks Golf Club on 09/26/2018:
Hello samuelmontoya, thank you for the five-star review. We are glad you had an excellent experience at San Juan Oaks Golf Club. Thank you for visiting us and we hope to see you again soon!

Thank you for cutting down the rough!

A must play course when you are in town. Great value this course will provide plenty of challenges to the beginner as well as expert golfer. Wind, water, forced carries, punishing rough everyt

Response from San Juan Oaks Golf Club on 10/04/2018:
Hello filamgolfaddict, thank you for the four-star review. We are glad you enjoyed our course and had a great experience. Thank you for playing San Juan Oaks Golf Club and we hope to see you again soon!

Awesome Golf!

A great day for golf with only a foursome in front of us we managed to play through and we did not encounter any other golfers until we made it to the club house.

The course was in very good condition but the bunkers require repair throughout the 18 holes. If you land in a bunker you might as well remove under condition of ground under repair.

With that said we had an excellent day at San Juan Oaks.

Response from San Juan Oaks Golf Club on 09/17/2018:
Hello dblangley, thank you for the five-star review. We are glad you enjoyed our course and had an excellent golf experience. Thank you for playing San Juan Oaks Golf Club and we hope to see you again soon!

Nice time at San Juan Oaks. Course id in good shape. The fairways are great. Greens were a bit slow but overall in good shape. Bunkers are terrible. Plan on using your cleats to rough up tje surface and putting hour ball on the skuff marks you make in the sand. If not, traps are hard! You

Response from San Juan Oaks Golf Club on 09/10/2018:
Hello Jmineau, thank you for the four-star review. We are glad you enjoyed our course conditions and we appreciate your feedback on our green speeds and on the conditions of our bunkers. Thank you for playing San Juan Oaks Golf Club and we hope to see you again soon!
Response from San Juan Oaks Golf Club on 09/10/2018:
Hello rjremen, thank you for the four-star review. We are glad you enjoyed our course conditions and we appreciate your feedback on our bunkers. Thank you for playing San Juan Oaks Golf Club and we hope to see you again soon!
Response from San Juan Oaks Golf Club on 09/06/2018:
Hello, thank you for the five-star review. We are glad you had an excellent golf experience at San Juan Oaks Golf Club. Thank you for visiting us and we hope to see you again soon!
San Francisco Advisor

Fun track w/ great conditions

I can't believe it's been 6 months since I've played here. SJO is always a blast to play and the conditions never disappoint. The wind was up this afternoon making club selection a challenge on the already difficult (but fun) back 9. Greens rolled true and as I've said before seem to be the perfect blend between manageable yet challenging. They were rolling a little slower than usual (especially the front 9). I only encountered one un-repaired pitch mark.

Fairways were near perfect An easy 9/10. Just a perfect dark green lush playing surface that always presented a great lie. There were a couple of small areas that the wild boars had dug up. This course runs into that every so often. The two fairways that had been hit by the pigs were already under repair. The only dry thin area I found on the entire course was a patch on the 18th fairway near the dogleg bend, and it was about the size of a dining room table.

Tee boxes were excellent as well. Most were super lush and all were level. A couple of the par 3's had some divots but still no issues finding a clean hitting surface.

I avoided sand traps all day so I can't really comment, but usually they are the weak link of the track. Service is always friendly. I walked up without a reservation and the gal at the pro shop told me if I didn't want to hit any range balls, I could quickly get out before a foursome was going to tee off in about 5 minutes. Talk about having your wits about you! It was nice to see that she was aware that the course was wide open and encouraged me to "rush" out to get in front of a foursome.

I had clear sailing with a wide open course until I ran into a twosome on the 16th.

With so many great courses only 20-30 minutes away SJO is easily overlooked, but absent views of the ocean, it is right up there with the best of them.

Response from San Juan Oaks Golf Club on 08/31/2018:
Hello Alex326, thank you for the four-star review. We are glad you enjoyed our course conditions and found our staff friendly. We also appreciate your feedback on the conditions of our bunkers. Thank you for visiting San Juan Oaks Golf Club and we hope to see you again soon!

Great Track

Overall the course was in good condition. Summer time mornings are perfect. No wind. cool temps. The only reason I give it a 4 is the bunkers are like waste areas and probably should be played that way. Otherwise I love this course.

Response from San Juan Oaks Golf Club on 08/27/2018:
Thank you for the 4-Star review, we appreciate the feedback regarding our course conditions. Thanks for coming out and we hope to see you again soon.
Response from San Juan Oaks Golf Club on 08/07/2018:
Hello, thank you for the four-star review. We are glad you had a great golf experience at San Juan Oaks Golf Club. We also appreciate your ratings on our course conditions and the pace of play. Thank you for visiting us and we hope to see you again soon!
Response from San Juan Oaks Golf Club on 08/07/2018:
Hello kstutz111, thank you for the five-star rating. We are glad you had an excellent experience at San Juan Oaks Golf Club. Thank you for visiting us and we hope to see you again soon!

Fun and Challenging, Horrible Bunkers

This is a great course layout in a beautiful setting. First time playing. We set out at 7:40am with fog so thick and low we couldn't see our ball once hit for the first 3 holes. Once the fog burned off we were rewarded. Overall this course is in decent condition. I prefer a faster, truer green but the greens are in good shape. My biggest complaint is the bunkers. There is zero maintenance on any of them. ANY. Not even green side. There is no sand in them, they are soaked and packed like concrete. Full of weeds and grass, etc. They haven't seen a rake, maybe ever. Still worth playing epescially for $45 with cart. Not a great walking course unless you're in good shape.

Response from San Juan Oaks Golf Club on 08/07/2018:
Hello danbalma, thank you for taking the time write a review of course. We are glad you enjoyed our course layout and we appreciate your feedback on our green speeds and the conditions of our bunkers. Thank you for visiting San Juan Oaks Golf Club and we hope to see you again soon!
Response from San Juan Oaks Golf Club on 08/08/2018:
Hello fohughes, thank you for the four-star rating. We are glad you had a great golf experience at San Juan Oaks Golf Club. Thank you for playing our course and we hope to see you again soon!
Hollister, California