Style Desert

John Fought and Tom Lehman collaborated on the course at Verrado Golf Club, a voluptuous design that meanders through the old Caterpillar bulldozer proving grounds. It's up and down for 18 holes and that doesn't mean "chip and a putt." The course is good test with chances to score and a handful of memorable and scenic holes.

Where Verrado Golf Course will eat you alive is in the bunkers. Some bunkers are hard to carry, others collect wayward shots. But the fairways are wide enough to avoid trouble, and what appears to be the safe shot off the tee will often bring greenside bunkers more into play. So pick your poison.

While the back nine is far superior to the front, going out still has its fair share of memorable holes. A huge boulder 30 feet tall on the par-4 eighth jets out from the left side around which the fairway shapes itself. A perfect line from the tee box is to take the ball five yards right off its edge, but hitting the boulder is certain death by desert. The boulder was scheduled to crumble via dynamite, but stood up to the TNT and was deemed an immoveable object. Open and playable for all skill levels, the Verrado Golf Club is a sublime experience.

Black/Silver 72 7036 yards 72.8 134
Silver 72 6833 yards 71.9 130
Silver/White 72 6561 yards 70.7 127
White/Gold 72 5734 yards 67.2 119
White/Gold (W) 72 5734 yards 71.7 122
Green (W) 72 5142 yards 68.6 113
Scorecard for Verrado Golf Club
Black M: 73.9/139 423 397 222 478 588 178 540 477 382 3685 515 422 442 310 184 588 464 154 494 3573 7258
Black/Silver M: 72.8/134 423 379 193 454 588 178 540 457 382 3594 515 411 418 310 184 544 449 154 457 3442 7036
Silver M: 71.9/130 386 379 193 454 559 166 506 457 364 3464 492 411 418 291 168 544 449 139 457 3369 6833
Silver/White M: 70.7/127 386 354 172 421 559 166 506 428 364 3356 492 375 393 271 168 544 402 139 421 3205 6561
White M: 69.3/123 366 354 172 421 518 147 435 428 337 3178 449 375 393 271 150 466 402 123 421 3050 6228
White/Gold M: 67.2/119 366 279 154 350 518 147 435 355 337 2941 449 347 322 242 150 466 338 123 356 2793 5734
Gold M: 65.7/114 W: 70.0/117 291 279 154 350 480 125 371 355 310 2715 414 347 322 242 131 427 338 111 356 2688 5403
Green W: 68.6/113 291 279 131 350 419 125 371 311 284 2561 380 313 322 203 131 427 338 111 356 2581 5142

Year Built 2004
Architect Tom Lehman (2004) John Fought (2004)

Pull-carts No

Dress code Collared shirt and bermuda shorts required. No denim.

Course is good test. Bar and Grill needs to be more customer oriented and ensure if there are specials posted on golf carts that they are in effect.

Our group played the Saturday before over seeding at Verrado. Even though the fairways were being prepped for over seeding, the course was still beautiful and great fun to play. The scenery is breathtaking as you travel the path through the mountains. The only problem we had occurred after play when we went to the restaurant. While we were playing we commented on the large signs posted on the back of the carts advertising happy hour with 1/2 price appetizers and we had decided to stay and eat there rather than going elsewhere. We ordered drinks and inquired about happy hour and we were told there was no happy hour on Saturdays. When we asked why the cart advertising specified happy hour was on Mondays thru Sundays, we were told that it was no longer true. One of our group then went to the pro shop to inquire why it was posted on the carts and he was told also that it was not true and nothing could be done about it. Ten minutes had since gone by and we were still waiting for our drinks. When another ten minutes passed, and as we watched one person after another walk to the bar to get drinks, we decided that the chances of getting anything to eat would be pretty slim. We left and found a very nice Italian restaurant in the town square to eat in. I would recommend it to anyone who wants to eat after playing Verrado. I would also suggest that management take the time to remove the cart advertising while the course is closed.

Baked Greens

Very disappointing. Almost every green was brown and sandy. I won’t be back this summer. No warning from staff that they were either!

Wait a few weeks.

Apparently the course was closed last week for green maintenance. They were horrible. Bumpy and almost as much sand as a sand trap. I have played there twice before and was better but the greens made play much less enjoyable. I have played both Verrado courses after aerating within the week and both were terrible. Unfortunately, there was no notice or mention or I would have not played either.

Excellent service

My friends and I had a wonderful day golfing. Everything was excellent. However, the course conditions fell short on the greens as they were being aerated so they have lots of sand. This made it very difficult to putt.

Greens... What greens? Which way to the beach

First time playing.
Staff was great.
Tees were great
Fairways were great
Greens ? They were a little (a lot) sandy. On somes greens, you needed a rake to smooth your foot prints ; ).

Now admittedly for $14 I guess what could I have expected, but I did expect more. The threesome I played with (Father and his daughter and son), paid $26 each and I would say they did not get their money's worth. Honestly, the course probably should have been closed to let the process work out (and keep the traffic off the greens as well)

So take the review not as a "this is how it will always be", but in the near term, if you are looking for a complete course, don't expect it.. I am hopefull that over time, whatever the greens crew does, that it will make them better to match the rest of the course condition. I would pay more for that experience...

Staff Not Customer-Oriented

If you don’t care to read the details, here’s the summary: some golf courses think little things don’t matter. A mediocre course can have a reputation of a holy site when the staff realizes every touch point with customers is a opportunity to enhance their experience. To the same, a great course can sour someone’s day and lose repeat business because they act like they’re doing you a favor by letting you play. Verrado’s clubhouse staff was unable to problem solve today and made this customer feel unwelcome. Details below.

The course conditions were as expected for mid June in Phoenix: greens punched and topped and fairways soaked to prevent an early summer demise. It would be nice we’re the staff to notify customers of the greens’ condition during booking or check-in. Not a big deal.

The disappointments of the day came from the staff. I was a singleton joining a threesome and asked the service personnel up front for my own cart because I routinely play different tees than most and to avoid stepping on any toes. I was told the club was tight on carts. I asked what the tee sheet looked like through the day. They said “slammed through 10:30 then wide open.” I later found out they had 106 golfers booked for the whole day and had 72 carts available. Fairly certain the math supports they had plenty of carts.

Then the threesome I was join for a 6:57am tee time turned out to be a foursome. The young man in the pro shop started to tell them he only showed them as a threesome, I had a legit booking, and their fourth would have to get worked in as a single later. I advised him (1) that’s a poor business choice and (2) I wasn’t splitting up a group to wedge myself into their outing. I talked the starter into letting me play the back by myself ahead of the first group and then turn to the front. He obliged and then gave me my own cart (not sure how he pried one from the staff up front). Everything after was fine until...

Post round I walked to a signature bridge by the clubhouse to take a Father’s Day picture with my daughter. As I crested the bridge, an employee drove a cart up to me going the opposite direction. We stepped aside so he could pass and were told “Can you hurry up? You’re not supposed to be here.” The bridge is 50 yards from the clubhouse and connects out to 9 green and 10 tee.

The one highlight of the experience is director of golf welcomed my feedback though he offered no recompense for a reduced rate round to get me to come back. Unfortunate experience.

Very nice course

for a Public facility. It is a pretty straight forward layout which can play long depending on tee. Fairways are contoured to run off on the sides, so keeping in the middle is important. Unfortunately,, the greens, whilst large, suffer from Poa
and are spotty and bumpy - they will need resurfacing soon.
Nice practice range but green was under repair. Nice after golf facility and friendly staff.
Great views and several fun Par 3’s.
I will play this track again and the adjoining Victory course when next in town.

Always a good time here.

Positives:
Course condition.
Meal afterwards.

Negatives:
Pin placement on 13. Scorecard has flag in front. Played approach to front of green. Flag was in back. Had to putt over roller coster green. If I knew pin was in back, I woulda played approach to back of green. This cost me 2 strokes.

Pace. 4:20 w/my 4-some waiting for 2-some over and over. Where was ranger?

The best

I love these two courses at Verrado. I also like to bounce around and play different courses but every time I do I find myself asking the same question. why did you drive by Verrado?

Very nice golf course

The course is in great shape with manicured fairways and difficult undulating greens.

Scenic course

It was a good value and more scenic than the Victory course. This is the latest I have stayed in AZ after the winter and have heard the courses can be a little rough this time of year so the conditions were expected. Good thing is all the nice courses have very good rates so it make it worth while.

Memorial Day

Great course at a terrific price. Only downside was the condition of the greens. They seemed to need more water.

Commented On 05/30/2019

Thank you for visiting us at Verrado Golf Club - Founders Course. We appreciate your 4-star rating and review. We hope you join us for another round soon.

Golf 100 restaurant 20

This was my first time playing and wow was I impressed, this course fit my eye well but my score won’t show that. Play smart a driver isn’t always the best club to tee off with I found myself using 3 iron and 4 iron a lot ..the greens were fast for the most part with a few exceptions..
We enjoyed a drink after the round but , were ignored for20 minutes before we were seated the waiter dropped sauce all over one of my playing partners and they seemed like everyone sitting in the restaurant were more of a pain rather than a wanted guest,just a crazy sad vibe after a great happy round of golf.

In conclusion I would say, book a round enjoy the views but maybe just do a drink from the cart girls then head home with good memories....

Verrado Founder's club

During this time of the year . The course is a great deal - bang for your buck ! It can get windy at times or pretty hot .

Commented On 05/30/2019

Hi - We would love to hear more about your positive experience at our course. Please contact us at (623) 388-3000 to share with us your favorite part of your experience with us. Thanks for golfing at Verrado Golf Club - Founders Course!

Commented On 05/30/2019

Hi there! We want to hear more about your experience with us! Please call us at (623) 388-3000. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Fantastic

The course was immaculate. Fairways were well manicured and lush, greens were fast, and bunkers well maintained. Perfect day on the course, with pace of play excellent. No doubt one of the best and scenic courses in the entire area. Will definitely be back.

Just Excellent

Practice range was great.

Course was excellent. Pace of play was perfect. Greens were firm and ran true. Only complaint was that I lost 2&1 to my brother.

Can’t wait to get back there again.

Valid dates: Jun 21, 2019 - Dec 31, 2019
Sign up for a 2 or 3 Day Golf School and receive accommodations in a villa for the duration of your stay.
Keystone Resort Stay, Play and Save