View from #10 on the Blue Monster
2.3
2.4

Trump National Doral Miami offers five 18-hole courses, but the Blue Monster is the most well known. Originally designed by Dick Wilson, the golf course has been updated throughout the years by different architects to keep the challenges current. The course calls for strategy as well as distance. The fairways are infamously long and the greens are undulating. There are several water hazards that come into play as well as bunkers and deep rough. The Blue Monster's signature hole is the 18th with its trademark fountain; it was named by GOLF Magazine on of the top 100 holes in the world.

Trump National Doral Miami - Blue Monster Course

Year Built 1962
Architect Dick Wilson (1962) Raymond Floyd Gil Hanse (2014)

Pull-carts No

Caddies Yes

Dress code No Denim, Collared Shirt Required

• Golf Advisor: Top 25 Off-course amenities in the U.S. (2019 #22) (2017 #9)
  • Golf Advisor: Top 25 Friendliest Courses in the U.S. (2017 #18)

Playing Multiple Courses 7

Great course but not commensurate with price

I had to try the blue monster from growing up watching Doral. It's worth seeing in person compared to the usual TV angles you used to see for instance on the 18th. The course looks very different in person visually (as it often does). The course was in excellent condition, and the staff are very friendly and attentive (only minor problem was a long delay waiting for the bag at the end of the day). However, what struck me about the course itself was that it didn't particularly stand out compared to other good Florida courses. The scenery is the typical Florida setup, for golf amenities, having a range you can't hit a driver on but yet you pay 450 dollars is absolutely ridiculous. This isn't pebble beach in terms of vistas or golf history. Certainly there are much better courses you can play for less all over the country, extreme examples being Torrey Pines or Bethpage Black, but there are of course other easily comparable courses that are half the price of the blue monster. For instance out of state Trump ferry point in NYC is a more interesting golf course I'd say and has better views for half the price. If the tournament were still here, maybe the draw would be stronger, but as memories of that fade more and more I just can't recommend this course at it's current price point. You can find equally good or better ones for less, and since I'll probably never seeing a tour pro hitting a drive on 18 in competition any time soon I'm just left with more of a check box filled than remembering it as one of those top few places you'll play in your life.

Blue Monster

The golf course is fabulous, the range is like a dust bowl. Now that there’s no PGA event there it’s a 250 dollar course not 500.
The practice facilities don’t accommodate the amount of people that are there. 4 courses has too many people around the one area.
For that amount of money I’d expect it to be a bit for exclusive

What a place! You have to try it

We had a fabulous time here. The course is a challenge. So much sand and water! But it was so good to play and an amazing setting, so beautiful. The staff were one of the best things about it - we had never been before and felt most welcome. Super comfy carts too! All in all a great day.

Great

Course is in great conditions - makes a lot of fun

Not worth the money.

The whole experience was negative. The staff was dismissive and seemed bothered by us. I really expected so much more. There are way better golf courses in South Florida.

Way to expensive for this

You would think that putting America first does t involve fleecing your golfing public for top dressed green (450.00 round) 34.00 for parking totally inflated prices in pro shop and walkers etc on just about every hole. It was like playing during a parade. First tee is right next to a Resturant with loud drinkers that looked like they never played golf. Waste of money no wonder the pga left

Commented on 01/30/2019

How true!!

We really enjoyed the experience, the course is not manicured as good as some courses that are much cheaper to play. It is the Blue Monster and it’s tough!

Beautiful course, ugly Americans.

Golf is a gentleman's game.
The clowns in the 2 groups in front of us had no respect for pace of play, sportsmanship nor soberness.
Marshall did nothing.

Other than that , I'd play it again.

Come on! It’s the Blue Monster!

What a great experience! I was excited to play here because I’ve seen it on the pga tour. It lived up to the hype. Great course, great conditions, great service, and great round.

My only complaint and I’ve seen others say this is that you should expect to see a cart girl. The first and only time I saw her was on hole 15. Yes you read that right, I was for finishing up my round before I saw her at all. Disappointing, but the rest of the experience outweighs that poor customer service.

The customer service at every other area was top notch!

Georgia Advisor

AWECOME Course, Fantastic staff and service

This was my first time playing the Blue Monster.

The customer service and attention to details at Trump National are great.

The course plays long and is challenging with water and tons of bunkers. The rough was very lush, thick and long. If you were off the fairway, you truly paid a penalty due to the challenging of getting the ball out of the rough and onto the greens.

The only draw back was the day was very hot and humid and the beverage cart service was spotty, We did not see a beverage cart until the 8th hole and we were all hot, thirsty and ready for drinks a long time before we saw the beverage cart. The valet staff, cart attendants and starter were all great.

If you have the opportunity to play the Blue Monster, definately take advantage and play the course. It is great and VERY challenging.

The practice facilities are top notch with all practice facilities being great and very helpful.

A Deal, But Not A Steal

Recent aeration of the greens and numerous bunkers provided a stout challenge at this bucket list track, whose $100 Hot Deal hinted that this legendary course was going to be in less than stellar condition. Hittable fairways and tee boxes were sparse in spots, while the rough was lush and deep. Most of the bunkers were firm. Undulating greens were bumpy, grainy and nearly impossible to read. Still...this was the Blue Monster and the eye-catching layout resembled a Donald Ross course on steroids with cavernous sand traps surrounding the greens, sneaky fairway bunkers and strategically-located ponds and lakes. Course management was paramount with carefully placed drives and shots needed (but not always executed) to avoid plethora of bunkers. Solid iron was also was key, particularly of the flop variety. Heroic shots were not required for a mid-handicapper like me. One note: Play this course with friends and make it a happening, especially if your making your course debut. I played my first round at the Blue Monster with an inebriated father and his ill-mannered son, both of whom treated the course like a driving range as they took multiple second shots and putts, while searching for golf balls as if they were Spanish bullion. Their boorish company marred an otherwise memorable, three-hour voyage around a scenic track that is often offset by nondescript houses bordering the course. Beverage cart service was spotty, while pro shop staffer was polite, but not welcoming. Valet staff, cart attendants and starter were splendid. While I did not have time to stop by Champions Bar & Grill, located next to the pro shop, the cozy eatery's food and service have been excellent in the past. The Blue Monster is worth playing at least once, but the equally enjoyable Red and Gold Courses on the grounds offer much better bang on the buck.

blue monster

i have played before Torrey Pines, Sawgrass and this one is the best i ever played...the course conditions were perfect, the greens at 10, and the challenge that course offers is fantastic...

Blue Monster

The television does not do this course justice. It was a great experience and will definitely play again if given the opportunity

Blue Monster was a Spectacle!

First about the staff. Best trained anywhere. Friendly professional and welcoming. Secondly greens were the best I have ever played and I have played almost every bucket list course in the USA, Scotland and Canada. If you like fast greens like I do you will love The Blue Monster. Just a whisper would get the ball rolling on line. Club house claimed running at a 13. I think closer to 11 but still unbelievable. Fairways were generous and hard to miss but wind and plenty of sand traps and water made the Monster live up to its name. Only downside I put on this beautiful course was price. I’ve played Pebble Beach and The Olde Course in St. Andrews as well as TPC Sawgrass and they are all worth the full fair at $500 or more. This round ran me $450. I think $350 should be the true value. Club house and grounds as well as the restaurants were exceptional.

Pace of Platy

Course` was packed with what I call forced foursomes. My buddy and I play together regularly and playing ready Golf move right along. The other pair in our foursome were non US and were more formal so our pace of play as a foursome was slow. I felt that the marshals harassed my buddy and I to pick up the pace when it should have been obvious that we couldn’t do anything to speed up the groups pace of play. For what it cost to play there I was most unhappy with being pared up with two guys who had never played together nor had every met. Besides we had a fore caddy for our foursome and if our pace was slow the marshal should have been talking to him not to us. Playing the Blue Monster was on my bucket list but over booking and being harassed by the marshals made this a round that I won’t remember for how great the course was, it’s majesty or it’s challenges. Most disappointing.

Great layout

This was my second time playing the Blue Monster. It kicked my butt. 30-50 yd winds made club selection difficult. #10 is one of my favorite driving holes with the palm trees lined on the right. Price is steep. Has to be the largest pro shops in the country. New flags on the pin with American flags need to be sold. They were cool and brand new. Our forecaddie Eric was spot on with putts. Enjoyed every second.

Good times on a major championship test

My third time was the charm.
I didn't have fun the first two times playing the Blue Monster (in 1999 and 2011) because I simply got my butt kicked. It's that hard. My ground game is no match for its never-ending onslaught of bunkers and water.
But this time I knew what to expect, where to bail out and how to manage my game. The one time I tried to be heroic, I paid for it with a lost ball off the 18th tee.
I'm totally impressed with how Gil Hanse re-energized an aging course. Making par where Rory McIlroy threw his iron into the lake on no. 8 and trying to drive the spectacular new 16th hole were memorable moments.
The resort has really improved thanks to the millions spent by Trump. Don't be surprised if we see the course on TV hosting another top tournament in the future. The legacy of the Blue Monster should live on.

Valid dates: Apr 04, 2020 - Sep 30, 2020
Here at Coachman's Golf Resort we pride ourselves on the high quality of magnificent golf, superb amenities and outstanding service that we offer our valued customers.